BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

11 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

We have Harwood-Bellis and Long. Taylor is a fullback playing there. We do have McNally as well so it might not be an area he’s desperately adding to.

There doesn’t seem to be a promotion winning combination there to me. I wouldn’t honestly swap our two, Ayala and Wharton, for any of those as centre backs. Taylor is a decent full back but centre half ? Of course the thing with Ayala is keeping the bugger fit. 
Harwood-Bellis could well make a really good player in the future but that’s a way off yet. The lad we had on loan from Brighton last season was a top centre half at this level.

Of course then we have young Phillips coming though who’s reputed to be the next Mike England, that’s if he doesn’t slope off to Spurs, like Mike did.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

We have Harwood-Bellis and Long. Taylor is a fullback playing there. We do have McNally as well so it might not be an area he’s desperately adding to.

Is Egan-Reilly a centre back too signed from Man City? would Taylor start ahead of the current left back?

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

he is there for the season long loan so its appears he will play most games 

Long ball to the far post get Gallagher “ jumping “ with him. I know Gally can’t jump but he’ll still be a foot taller.

Like when Mark Hughes had Santa Cruz jumping with Patrice Evra.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Long ball to the far post get Gallagher “ jumping “ with him. I know Gally can’t jump but he’ll still be a foot taller.

surely you pick the best player and back him to do his job

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Is Egan-Reilly a centre back too signed from Man City? would Taylor start ahead of the current left back?

I think Egan-Riley is centre half but has very little match experience. With the current way we are set up I can’t see Taylor starting ahead of Maatsen at left back on most games.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I believe Maatsen is only short. He’ll get targeted in this league like Alan Wright was back in the day.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

he is there for the season long loan so its appears he will play most games 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Maatsen was outstanding v Huddersfield and seems to have got lots of praise again yesterday, and impressed at Coventry too. Think they have a good one there unfortunately.

He is short but is also an excellent player - or at least has been so far, certainly in an attacking sense anyway. Yesterday we looked panicked in defence at times and until that is resolved I think the divisions better attacks will enjoy playing against us. It’s all well and good having 70% plus possession but it’s pointless when you muster a single shot on target whilst the opposition manage 2. 

Also we actually look shorter as a side than we have in recent years - though that could just be a perception rather than a reality. The keeper is a big lad though. 

And with you guys out of the traps quickly we are already playing catch up.

32 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not really related to anything of interest, but the buggers drawing cost me £300 on my accumulator yesterday.

All other teams (including Rovers, of course) did the job 🤮

I do hope you backed Luton to win then?

8 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Interesting game tonight. Watford are our next opponents and are the team right now I think most likely to go straight back up.  Maybe them playing Monday/Friday will be to our benefit but it’s not a game I’m confident about. With their front 3 I can see our defence crumbling a bit.

I agree on their front three. If they stay fit I reckon they have fifty goals there. I saw their game against Sheff Utd and thought defensively they looked at but suspect. I can see them being involved in some high scoring games this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Whereas Rovers never enter the second round.

Haha, it certainly feels like it.

But believe it or not, we have only been knocked out at the first round stage once (last season) in the past 7 years.

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

Haha, it certainly feels like it.

But believe it or not, we have only been knocked out at the first round stage once (last season) in the past 7 years.

That's a surprise tbf - it feels like we've fallen at the first hurdle a few times in recent years but the seasons are blending into one at my age........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That's a surprise tbf - it feels like we've fallen at the first hurdle a few times in recent years but the seasons are blending into one at my age........

Now the FA Cup is a different story, last time we made it past the third round was 2016-17, and the last time we won a game in that competition was December 2017 in the second round against Crewe.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Now the FA Cup is a different story, last time we made it past the third round was 2016-17, and the last time we won a game in that competition was December 2017 in the second round against Crewe.

Pretty abysmal that - especially because we had so many good moments in the cup under Bowyer. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Interesting game tonight. Watford are our next opponents and are the team right now I think most likely to go straight back up.  Maybe them playing Monday/Friday will be to our benefit but it’s not a game I’m confident about. With their front 3 I can see our defence crumbling a bit.

Watford looks decent last week but I think tonight game with tight game with either team winning 1 nil. 

Shows the total disregard and lack of care that Sky have towards fans that Watford have twice been plonked on a Monday night.

Regarding our cup recent history, it is piss poor and it is often coupled with regular supporter suggestions that we are better off out of the cup with even the occasional remark that they would rather lose!

Its something I have never been able to get my head around, I would make a number of changes on Wednesday night but still hoping and expecting that we can make the draw for the next round.