BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

16 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I didn’t say it was - I said it was a major contributor to the late goals we’ve scored to rescue games/points. Against PNE it was simply a gulf in class and tactics. Last night was different - lest we forget the Watford squad to a large extent was assembled at great expense in the PL so the gulf in player quality is not great at all.

By far? We rarely get more than one or two in teams of the week that are dominated by the likes of Sheff Utd etc - indeed in Berge, NDiaye, McBurnie, Brewster, Bogle all cost more than our players and are generally higher rated than ours. We do have some very good players for sure but we are not alone in that. We have good players that were brought together 6 months ago and have been exceptionally well coached by Kompany and his team. 

The trigger for all of your success is simply down to the fact that you've had the ability (money) to buy better players than everyone else, and thus were able to attrract Kompany.

Having Kompany in charge would mean jack, if all you could afford were the Sammie Smodizs of this world. Kompany probably wouldn't even be there, if that were the case.

Anyway, we're going around in circles!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I didn’t say it was - I said it was a major contributor to the late goals we’ve scored to rescue games/points. Against PNE it was simply a gulf in class and tactics. Last night was different - lest we forget the Watford squad to a large extent was assembled at great expense in the PL so the gulf in player quality is not great at all.

You subbed on a £4m midfielder then two strikers that you signed in January, including a fellow you've pledged to pay €11m for. You threw money on the pitch to avoid a loss.

Positivity and team spirit doesn't come cheap.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

The trigger for all of your success is simply down to the fact that you've had the ability (money) to buy better players than everyone else, and thus were able to attrract Kompany.

Having Kompany in charge would mean jack, if all you could afford were the Sammie Smodizs of this world. Kompany probably wouldn't even be there, if that were the case.

Anyway, we're going around in circles!

If Message Boards had been around in 1994-95, a poster of a Claret persuasion may have written ....

"  The trigger for all of your success is simply down to the fact that you've had the ability (money) to buy better players than everyone else, and thus were able to attract Dalglish.

Having Dalglish in charge would mean jack, if all you could afford were the Kurt Nogan's of this world. Dalglish probably wouldn't even be there, if that were the case. "

And I agree, we're going around in circles ! Your 1994-95 Premier League title sit's proudly amongst your famous, historical Club's achievements, as it should. Hopefully, we will add the Football League Championship trophy, for the 4th time ( Twice as top tier winners, twice as Championship winners ) to our Honours board. Yes we've spent money and very effectively it seems, as did Rovers when breaking the British transfer record twice ( Shearer & Sutton ) & also the British record for a Goalkeeper ( Flowers )

Personally, I was delighted to see Rovers break the endless City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal " Big City " monopoly of the Premier League, as I was when Leicester also did it. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

"  The trigger for all of your success is simply down to the fact that you've had the ability (money) to buy better players than everyone else, and thus were able to attract Dalglish.

No it wasn't. 

Educate yourself. 

Blackburn didn't buy the Premier League title in 1995 – they earned it | Football | The Guardian

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

If Message Boards had been around in 1994-95, a poster of a Claret persuasion may have written ....

Having Dalglish in charge would mean jack, if all you could afford were the Kurt Nogan's of this world. Dalglish probably wouldn't even be there, if that were the case. "

And I agree, we're going around in circles ! Your 1994-95 Premier League title sit's proudly amongst your famous, historical Club's achievements, as it should. Hopefully, we will add the Football League Championship trophy, for the 4th time ( Twice as top tier winners, twice as Championship winners ) to our Honours board. Yes we've spent money and very effectively it seems, as did Rovers when breaking the British transfer record twice ( Shearer & Sutton ) & also the British record for a Goalkeeper ( Flowers )

Personally, I was delighted to see Rovers break the endless City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal " Big City " monopoly of the Premier League, as I was when Leicester also did it. 

And we still didn't spend as much as United. Our back four cost less than Newcastle spent on Darren Peacock (oh dear...), and less than Liverpool's defence. Our midfield was a lot less than Leeds.

Berg, Le Saux, Wilcox, Hendry, Pearce, Gayle, Atkins. Massive players in that season and cost buttons in comparison to what other clubs were paying. Dalglish spent money but he was a genius at spotting talent.

I don't think the argument is that spending money is wrong, it's more that your lot won't accept that you're storming the league because you're spending.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cuppliance said:

Burnley have more lives than a Buddhist cat. Another late, late goal to rescue them from defeat. Their game against Rotherham was beyond the joke tbh.

They avoid defeat,simple as.Another point towards their inevitable promotion.

They are getting it right first time...they have owners with a clear plan and ambition.

We have now't and its bloody galling.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

That's bollocks as you're probably well aware, but as par for the course with your lot, you're unwilling to acknowledge the reality of then and now.

2 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

So our success is purely down to money but yours had nothing to do with money. Sounds about right …

No, he said that we were spending more than other teams.

The trigger for all of your success is simply down to the fact that you've had the ability (money) to buy better players than everyone else

Newcastle had a more expensive defender than our entire back four. Liverpool had a more expensive defence. Leeds had a more expensive midfield. Man Utd had spent more all round, I think their squad cost something like £5m more.

Dalglish spent a lot on his goalie and attackers, but the likes of Wilcox (£0), Atkins (£45k), Gayle (£0), Pearce (£300k), Hendry (£750,000 - which we gave back to City - he actually cost £25k), Berg (£400,00) were massively frugal purchases in comparison, and they all played a large part in winning the PL.

2 minutes ago, booth said:

No, he said that we were spending more than other teams.

Newcastle had a more expensive defender than our entire back four. Liverpool had a more expensive defence. Leeds had a more expensive midfield. Man Utd had spent more all round, I think their squad cost something like £5m more.

Dalglish spent a lot on his goalie and attackers, but the likes of Wilcox (£0), Atkins (£45k), Gayle (£0), Pearce (£300k), Hendry (£750,000 - which we gave back to City - he actually cost £25k), Berg (£400,00) were massively frugal purchases in comparison, and they all played a large part in winning the PL.

What about the season in Division 2, this level, the one where he came close to blowing it as I recall. Are you suggesting you weren’t outspending the competition heavily? 

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The point I was making is that teams with a strong mentality are capable of regularly scoring goals right at the death. Luck hasn’t much to do with it. I wish it did - but it doesn’t. Ability is big part of it but so is desire, belief, will to win, and most importantly, composure, they all play a part. You can go from your box to their box in 5 seconds. 5 minutes added time is a long while if you remain calm and focussed. You can make a couple of chances in that time if you don’t fall into the trap of just lumping it into the box. Although that works occasionally.

There’s a reason why we never score at the end of games. We lack most of the qualities needed to do so.

I wish it wasn’t the case but - it is.

Fancy that, we go and get an equaliser in the dying embers of a game. What do we know, eh? 🙂

If I was of the Claret persuasion, I'd likely be comparing that to Aguero's title winning exploits in that QPR game...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, longsiders1882 said:

What about the season in Division 2, this level, the one where he came close to blowing it as I recall. Are you suggesting you weren’t outspending the competition heavily? 

That wasn't the argument in that instance, so well done on trying to twist it.

And to be honest the argument wasn't against spending. It was about the claim that you were pissing the league by hard work and positivity.

You snatched a point back last night with around £15m of hard work and positivity.

So bollocks to that.

• Like 4

The season Burnley were promoted they were favourites for relegation and had to sell Austin at the start of the season because they were skint.  They are now reaping the rewards for that by having Premier players to sell.  How much have Rovers let walk out of the door as they were too stubborn to sell?  They could have had more than a few million to improve the squad if they had sold those players and found the likes of Zaroury and Benson.  They have done the same with Diaz.  Could have had £15 to spend and i'm sure they could have got another decent forward and one or two midfielders for that money.  Coventry fans will be moaning if their star striker leaves for nowt but they will have only themselves to blame.  You have to sell assets to improve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meeeeeeeeeee said:

The season Burnley were promoted they were favourites for relegation and had to sell Austin at the start of the season because they were skint.  They are now reaping the rewards for that by having Premier players to sell.  How much have Rovers let walk out of the door as they were too stubborn to sell?  They could have had more than a few million to improve the squad if they had sold those players and found the likes of Zaroury and Benson.  They have done the same with Diaz.  Could have had £15 to spend and i'm sure they could have got another decent forward and one or two midfielders for that money.  Coventry fans will be moaning if their star striker leaves for nowt but they will have only themselves to blame.  You have to sell assets to improve.

What you really mean is - “ How much have Venkies let walk out of the door because they were too stubborn to sell ? “

They are our “ added degree of difficulty “ and whilst they are running the club nothing will change football wise. None of it will ever make any sense. Not selling BBD makes about as much sense as signing him in the first place.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

At the start of the season a few on here warned/advised about Luton’s mastery of the dark arts. We saw it in full flow yesterday!

That said they managed to stop us playing our game and maybe should have got at least a point, maybe all 3. The battle for the play offs beginning to look very tasty.

That miss by Adebayo was criminal. I always said he'd make a good Rovers player.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

At the start of the season a few on here warned/advised about Luton’s mastery of the dark arts. We saw it in full flow yesterday!

That said they managed to stop us playing our game and maybe should have got at least a point, maybe all 3. The battle for the play offs beginning to look very tasty.

I’m glad that sly bastard Lockyer got a red card yesterday. He should have had one for the foul on Gallagher that left him in hospital bringing up blood. An elbow to the upper torso/throat when the ball was on the other side of the pitch 40 yards away. Coward.

There was another really bad one that put Edun out for about 6 weeks.

Both only got yellow cards.

They’d have been worse yesterday  if Jones had have still been there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4