BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

14 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Only in the last couple of hours? There had been whispers about them for days, seems like setting ourselves up for failure if we only tried at the last minute.

No sorry. I didn't mean we tried for them at the last minute, I mean they were mentioned on here in the last couple of hours.

• Like 1

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Surely we've come out of today weaker? Three attacking players out - McBride, Chapman, Butterworth out.  Two of whom were on the bench last weekend.  Possibly one wing back in - plus Hedges.  

We have a massive injury crisis at the top end of the pitch and we let squad players go..

Argh come on mate, no way have we finished it weaker. Keeping JR and signing Giles (🤞🏽) whilst letting those three go out. Not one of em good enough….

BBD, Khadra, Hedges and Giles in our squad vs Swansea 👍🏼

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

For Butterworth himself I think a move to League One and regular games is the right thing for him and his career. No issue with that.

I'm just baffled at the logic from Rovers point of view given that is now three attack minded players out the door today and none in. Walking a tightrope to avoid more injuries and suspensions because there are now even less options to fall upon. Of course Dack returning might be a bonus but it seems risky to be expecting him to be a significant contributor given the length of his absence and nature of his injury. 

I know it sounds odd seeing as we were ultra stretched up front vs Luton, but the likelihood of being anywhere near that position again is tiny.

Brereton won't be going to play for Chile again, Hedges has been brought in, Khadra and Dolan are going to be back in the next week or two. Gally might be a little longer depending on his injury, but there's no way that Butterworth gets in front of any of them and we'll be bang unlucky to have any less than 3 of them fit and ready to play at any one time until the end of the season.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, whalleyrover said:

Why did Venkys buy our club and what do they get from it?

The only chance of them getting a chunk of their money back is to return to the Premier League. Now is the best chance they may ever have of promotion but today just shows a lack of ambition!

One plus for them is stopping Rothwell signing for Bournemouth, but Mowbrays comments after Luton were disgraceful. Venkys aren't happy at this episode and will make their feelings known. Waggott and company aren't fit for purpose and need removing asap.

Many of us have been wondering that for a long time now, I've come to the conclusion that it has to be

for tax purposes , losses at their companies abroad, no tax or little tax to pay elsewhere, but i'm no expert.

It has to be something like that.

• Like 1

An all too familiar pattern plays out again. Mowbray talks up the prospect of a couple of signings, interest in a foreign striker, yet on the day nothing comes off and we're left with another "nearly" story. We "nearly" had Dembele this time. Frustrating doesn't begin to cover it.

We've done brilliantly up to now in the league, but are now left hoping that injuries and suspensions don't derail our season. It's a tough ask to expect us to steer clear of those from now until May. A big opportunity missed today and a sign that there isn't a real appetite for promotion at the club.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Surely we've come out of today weaker? Three attacking players out - McBride, Chapman, Butterworth out.  Two of whom were on the bench last weekend.  Possibly one wing back in - plus Hedges.  

We have a massive injury crisis at the top end of the pitch and we let squad players go..

McBride has never played for the first team. Butterworth has looked awful besides a 15 minute cameo against Hull. Chapman doesn't like lemon drizzle cake and has ripped jeans.

I don't mind all 3 going elsewhere to get game time in preparation for a re-assessment next season (hopefully with a new manager). 

• Like 1

On the whole ins,

Markanday, nice signing, injury a bummer but nice to have him through door.

Zeefuik - Solid first team player, offers options and genuine cover/competition at right back

Giles - 9 assist already this season, with Pickering and Edun injuries, great bit of business

Hedges - Cheap, cheerful, low risk low cost.

Brown - Development squad

Outs

Clarkson - couldn't get in team

Butterworth - just not happened for him

Carter - will come back better player.

Chapman - shouldn't of got new deal, wasted valuable funds in doing so

Mcbride - not near first team

Key players have stayed

We are slightly stronger if everyone was fit.

My Concern, Bournemouth have probably catapulted themselves into certainties for 2nd place. They've signed some real quality, Cantwell in particular is an oustanding player.

Other clubs in and around us, also signed some decent players.

That gap to 7th is a massive plus, and we may just need it, given injuries and expected suspensions.

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Why? genuine question and I'm extremely 'au fait' with the past 10 year history in general.

I'd like to know what brings you to that conclusion now in 2022 because I just don't see it.....perhaps I'm missing something?

Please enlighten me in detail what you see that I clearly don't ......

Thanks

We perennially cannot get business done on transfer deadline day. Excuse after excuse year in year out. We get the same claptrap in the build up, every single time, and never ever deliver.

Given Mowbray has admitted that our assistant manager often leads negotiations then it really is little wonder, especially with Waggott behind the scenes too.

It’s not good enough - we need a director of football or similar who knows what they’re doing.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Absolutely….Buckley and Dack to rotate in the false 9 role. BBD, Khadra, Gally, Hedges and Dolan in the wide forwards role.

Giles provides cover for Pickering and Edun covers CM. 

Who covers the scoring goals?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

On the whole ins,

Markanday, nice signing, injury a bummer but nice to have him through door.

Zeefuik - Solid first team player, offers options and genuine cover/competition at right back

Giles - 9 assist already this season, with Pickering and Edun injuries, great bit of business

Hedges - Cheap, cheerful, low risk low cost.

Brown - Development squad

Outs

Clarkson - couldn't get in team

Butterworth - just not happened for him

Carter - will come back better player.

Chapman - shouldn't of got new deal, wasted valuable funds in doing so

Mcbride - not near first team

Key players have stayed

We are slightly stronger if everyone was fit.

My Concern, Bournemouth have probably catapulted themselves into certainties for 2nd place. They've signed some real quality, Cantwell in particular is an oustanding player.

Other clubs in and around us, also signed some decent players.

That gap to 7th is a massive plus, and we may just need it, given injuries and expected suspensions.

Parker couldn’t get top two with a front 3 of Mitro Knockaert and Cavaleiro with Reed and Cairney behind. This is not over.

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Great point and a welcome reminder that they’ll soon be available 👍🏼

Time isn't a commodity we have though. 

We can't put any stock in Dack this season.  Could easily break down and bound to pull something when he does start after such a long time out.  

Gallagher: extent of injury unkown but if it's a recurrence of his punctured lung, it could be a while.

Khadra -Hammy?  Could resolve itself.  May go again and be long term. 

Dolan: 3 weeks. Welcome bench player but not been setting the world alight.

Hedges - may be fine. Know nothing about him. 

Any kind of injury to Buckley/Diaz and we are totally screwed.

And we let 2 fit bench players leave on loan. 

I know you're a positive guy and I'm glass half empty.

But that's a crap situation for a team that needs points now to stay in the top 6.

• Like 5

I can’t remember a time when we’ve had so few options for goalscorers. He must have someone lined up, we’ve got Brereton and Gallagher and we’ve already rode our luck relying on those two. Do we expect Brereton to score 35-40 goals this season?