BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

I take the view that compared to every other club bar Bournemouth, we seem to have had a reasonable window, in that no-one key left and we've made some shrewd acquisitions. Shame about Markanday obviously, but the others seem to have something to offer that we didn't previously have.

Another striker would've been nice, and / or a CM, but I think we're OK. Up front we have BBD, Gally, Khadra, Hedges, Zeefuijk to fight for 2/3 spots, Dack to return, plus Buckley as a false 9 & JRC.

In CM we have Travis, Rothwell (assuming his head's right), Buckley, Davenport, Johnson, possibly also JRC, Edun & Garrett. Even Lenihan could cover there in a real emergency.

There's plenty of options there if we have a worsening personnel crisis.

Bournemouth will either walk away with top 2, or fall further away. I don't think they got rid of anyone yesterday so to add SIX players in 1 day must be a desperate move on their part.  Why are they so desperate? Because this Rovers squad (and perhaps QPR) have scared the bejesus out of them with our spirit, desire, fortitude & no shortage of ability. If we can keep that, and stay no worse off with injuries etc., I'd rather be TM than Scott Parker right now having to find an identity in such a large group in such a short space of time and all the pressure that he'llbe under given the cash splashed.

COYB!!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, booth said:

For those that think we'll be okay if Brereton is absent for a period of time, turn away from your tv screens now.

287866779_Screenshot2022-02-01at14_01_18.thumb.png.644778617257815b079a69f680a6bf82.png

I agree another Goalscorer should have been a priority but no saying Gallagher wouldn't be on 12+ goals now if Brererton had been out, or others would have stepped up.Gally does have 5 in his last 10 starts.

If we carry on keeping clean sheets they way we have been doing then it will only take the 1 goal to get 3 points.

We should be scoring more goals from set pieces with 3 big center halves hopefully Giles can help in that department with his delivery.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, booth said:

For those that think we'll be okay if Brereton is absent for a period of time, turn away from your tv screens now.

287866779_Screenshot2022-02-01at14_01_18.thumb.png.644778617257815b079a69f680a6bf82.png

No one has said that we’d be ok long term without him but did we cope against Boro? 

We don’t have the money to buy another 20 goal a season striker. Our strength over the last couple of months has been our defence. We scored 2 goals in January and got 8 points. 

Edited by magicalmortensleftpeg
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I agree another Goalscorer should have been a priority but no saying Gallagher wouldn't be on 12+ goals now if Brererton had been out, or others would have stepped up.Gally does have 5 in his last 10 starts.

If we carry on keeping clean sheets they way we have been doing then it will only take the 1 goal to get 3 points.

We should be scoring more goals from set pieces with 3 big center halves hopefully Giles can help in that department with his delivery.

Gallagher wouldn't be on 12+ goals, he's clearly not comfortable playing wide right. I think he's done well to get 6 but let's not kid ourselves that we'll be fine if Brereton is out for any period of time. We may get a bit of luck if Dack returns and starts banging them in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Our starting XI 'should' be very strong Saturday.

TK

Nyambe Lenihan JP Scott Giles

Rothwell Travis

Khadra Buckley BBD

The bench though... yikes.

Pears

Ayala

Zeefuik

Davenport

Johnson

JRC

???

Is anyone else actually fit for that last spot?

Let's hope we don't need a goal!

Edit: Forgot about Hedges

Hasn’t Butterworth gone to Fleetwood?

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

No one has said that we’d be ok long term without him but did we cope against Boro? 

We don’t have the money to buy another 20 goal a season striker. Our strength over the last couple of months has been our defence. We scored 2 goals in January and got 8 points. 

Same argument, did we against Luton?

No one is has said we need a 20 goal a season striker but expecting Brereton to deliver another hatful of goals, and to be present in all our remaining games is asking a bit much.

It's great we've sorted the defence out but goals win matches.

4 minutes ago, booth said:

Gallagher wouldn't be on 12+ goals, he's clearly not comfortable playing wide right. I think he's done well to get 6 but let's not kid ourselves that we'll be fine if Brereton is out for any period of time. We may get a bit of luck if Dack returns and starts banging them in.

You can't say Gallagher wouldn't be on 12 goals you have no idea if he would.5 in 10 starts says he is scoring when starting.

Would you have expected Brererton to have 20 now?15?

Nobody is saying we would be fine but we can still win matches without him as our defence is strong.

Plus we don't play with a central striker... Buckley splits Brererton and the other who operate as wide forwards not Strikers.

Edited by islander200

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Who has said that we’d be ok without him?

We don’t have the money to buy another 20 goal a season striker but we have options. Our strength over the last 2 months l has been our defence. We scored 2 goals in January and got 8 points. 

It's not reasonable to assume that we'll carry on not conceding any goals like in January or that BBD will score goals at the same rate as he got them before Christmas though.

The likelihood is Ben will tail off somewhat in terms of goals and we'll start conceding goals at a more normal but not excessive rate.

What happens then?

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's not reasonable to assume that we'll carry on not conceding any goals like in January or that BBD will score goals at the same rate as he got them before Christmas though.

The likelihood is Ben will tail off somewhat in terms of goals and we'll start conceding goals at a more normal but not excessive rate.

What happens then?

Like in January our defence has been rock solid since Fulham.Its over 2 months now.

Why can't we expect the defence to keep the goals against at a minimum?In my eyes no team is defending better than us over the last couple of months 

• Like 1

After Pickering and now Edun out with injury, Mowbray has done well to bring in three left-footed players in Markanday, Hedges and Giles. It will create more angles going forward. Our back three look rock solid with a natural left-footed player playing on the left side there as well, with the least ball playing centre half in van Hecke in the middle. Giles will provide assists on the break, and can also beat a man and cross from the byline. Hedges has a bit of experience and will be a sub for Khadra to begin with I think. Zeefuik is also high-intensity and will fit in well with our style of play. 

If Gallagher can improve his link-up play and pass instead of running into jams we have a lot of options going forward. Weak spot after the window is depth in centre midfield but perhaps Giles can fill in for Rothwell if needed? Dack should be under no pressure to return anytime soon, and I think they'll gel him back into the team slowly with a few minutes here and there at least until March.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You can't say Gallagher wouldn't be on 12 goals you have no idea if he would.5 in 10 starts says he is scoring when starting.

Nobody is saying we would be fine but we can still win matches without him as our defence is strong.

Plus we don't play with a central striker... Buckley splits Brererton and the other who operate as wide forwards not Strikers.

I'm sure we will win matches but will we win enough to gain automatic promotion?

What has a central striker got to do with it? A goalscorer in any position would do the job. If Mowbray is set on playing that way fine, but buy at least one other person who knows where the net is on a regular basis.

Gallagher will score the odd goal now and again. Mowbray plays him out of position and he's not very good. That's all I need to know.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Some posters seem to have kidded themselves Gallagher is a 1 in 2 striker.

He isn't, he's a one in four (at best). And that chart confirms the trend, 6 goals from 23 appearances.

The reason he hasn't been starting regularly is, the Boro game apart, he's been crap.

If we need more goals we ain't going to get them from him. The only hope as I see it (unless Dack comes back quickly and fully firing) is to try and get more out of Khedra, Rothwell and Buckley in terms of goals.

Players of that quality should be targeting 10 goals a season.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What happens then?

I see no reason why we shouldn't continue to stay solid defensively. As long as the defensive relations stay intact, we won't concede many goals in my view. Chances are they'll improve further going forward than suddenly start to ship more goals. Ayala can fill in when called upon too and the quality will be the same, Zeefuik for Nyambe is probably like for like, while we have missed Pickering while out with injury. Kaminski has to stay fit though, him and Travis are vital to our team atm.

Can't expect BBD to score the same amount of goals, no, but I don't think he'll stop scoring either. Khadra will chip in with a few, Rothwell and Sam can reach double figures, while Buckley should get a few as well.

2 minutes ago, booth said:

I'm sure we will win matches but will we win enough to gain automatic promotion?

What has a central striker got to do with it? A goalscorer in any position would do the job. If Mowbray is set on playing that way fine, but buy at least one other person who knows where the net is on a regular basis.

Gallagher will score the odd goal now and again. Mowbray plays him out of position and he's not very good. That's all I need to know.

Because we have loads who can play the wide forward role.

Iv agreed a Goalscorer would have been a priority for me but name 1 goalscorer that has transferred that we could have afforded?Money is needed to bring in guaranteed goals.

Like people disappointed over Dembele, who looks a good player but he isn't a goalscorer 30 goals in his career so far and a lot of that spent lower than the championship.

Still feel we have the squad capable of sustaining a challenge.

1 minute ago, Torgeir said:

I see no reason why we shouldn't continue to stay solid defensively. As long as the defensive relations stay intact, we won't concede many goals in my view. Chances are they'll improve further going forward than suddenly start to ship more goals. Ayala can fill in when called upon too and the quality will be the same, Zeefuik for Nyambe is probably like for like, while we have missed Pickering while out with injury. Kaminski has to stay fit though, him and Travis are vital to our team atm.

Can't expect BBD to score the same amount of goals, no, but I don't think he'll stop scoring either. Khadra will chip in with a few, Rothwell and Sam can reach double figures, while Buckley should get a few as well.

If Gallagher reaches double figures it'll be a first under Mowbray.

Rothwell has scored 3.
Buckley has scored 1.

And if Brereton gets injured?

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Because we have loads who can play the wide forward role.

Iv agreed a Goalscorer would have been a priority for me but name 1 goalscorer that has transferred that we could have afforded?Money is needed to bring in guaranteed goals.

Like people disappointed over Dembele, who looks a good player but he isn't a goalscorer 30 goals in his career so far and a lot of that spent lower than the championship.

Still feel we have the squad capable of sustaining a challenge.

Swift?

But this "we could have afforded" is a moot point. Of course we could have afforded it as that's been confirmed. They missed out on one target and then obviously didn't have another one, or were too slow to act. This is madness when we're sitting in second place. And now if Brereton is out for any period of time we're going to struggle.

The original argument was, if they'd have just pushed the boat out a little to buy us a midfielder and a player that could bag a goal or two, there's every chance we could get automatic promotion. Now they've set themselves a bigger mountain to climb for not a lot of investment.

I blame myself for believing Rovers and Venkys would seize the opportunity.

6 minutes ago, booth said:

If Gallagher reaches double figures it'll be a first under Mowbray.

Rothwell has scored 3.
Buckley has scored 1.

And if Brereton gets injured?

Sam can and should absolutely reach double figures. Rothwell easily should have score more, Buckley too. 

Looking at the season so far, of course we rely on BBD’s goals, but it’s up to the rest of the team to split the goals between them whenever he’s missing. I believe the quality is there. 

3 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Sam can and should absolutely reach double figures. Rothwell easily should have score more, Buckley too. 

Looking at the season so far, of course we rely on BBD’s goals, but it’s up to the rest of the team to split the goals between them whenever he’s missing. I believe the quality is there. 

Easily, shoulda coulda. Won't happen.

We're riding our luck yet again.

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Some posters seem to have kidded themselves Gallagher is a 1 in 2 striker.

He isn't, he's a one in four (at best). And that chart confirms the trend, 6 goals from 23 appearances.

The reason he hasn't been starting regularly is, the Boro game apart, he's been crap.

If we need more goals we ain't going to get them from him. The only hope as I see it (unless Dack comes back quickly and fully firing) is to try and get more out of Khedra, Rothwell and Buckley in terms of goals.

Players of that quality should be targeting 10 goals a season.

I don't think many would go as far as to call him a 1 in 2 striker - Rhodes and Rudy only just made that ratio when they were here. 

But if you look at the number of minutes that's played in the league, it's a smidgen over 15 games (let's not forget that he's been brought off injured in those starts). So 6 in 15 is better than 1 in 3 and a pretty decent strike rate. Could be better, but it's a lot better than crap. I'm convinced that if we signed Gally this season, the only gripe we would have (apart from his first touch) would be that he hasn't been fit enough to play more games. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, booth said:

Swift?

But this "we could have afforded" is a moot point. Of course we could have afforded it as that's been confirmed. They missed out on one target and then obviously didn't have another one, or were too slow to act. This is madness when we're sitting in second place. And now if Brereton is out for any period of time we're going to struggle.

The original argument was, if they'd have just pushed the boat out a little to buy us a midfielder and a player that could bag a goal or two, there's every chance we could get automatic promotion. Now they've set themselves a bigger mountain to climb for not a lot of investment.

I blame myself for believing Rovers and Venkys would seize the opportunity.

Swift's wages are beyond us.We were never going to bring in a player and make him our highest earner with 3 key players coming to the end of their contracts.

You just said we did have money and it was confirmed so how is that the owners not seizing it?If they made money available but it wasn't spent that is hardly their fault.