BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (h) - Saturday 19th February

3 hours ago, david brent said:

Just seen a video on twitter of around 30-40 Bolton staff and stewards clearing the snow off the pitch. It is pretty much clear now. Proper hands to the pump effort with everyone mucking in.

Rovers on the other hand……..

This.

I was in the ground around 1.45 pm.

We made no real effort to clear the pitch. A few did. Lots leant in their shovels in the centre circle and chatted. Think Soviet era work ethic.

Felt genuinely sorry for the Millwall fans. And the out of area Rovers supporters.

Something's rotten in the state of Ewood Park...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

The weather today was freaky. I’m about 3 miles away from Ewood on slightly higher ground and at half 11 I thought there was no chance the game would be on. The announcement at 12:30ish was premature and very optimistic. I’d have to question how thorough an inspection the ref carried out at that point.

A mate of mine sent me a video of the ref testing the bounce of the ball just before 2. The surface looked pretty far from ideal at that point.

I’ve no real issues with the game being called off, but the communication was poor and the timing ludicrous. Easy enough for me to shrug it off I suppose, I haven’t travelled from London… or Chile.

Agreed, terrible communication, especially to categorically declare the game was definitely on, at 12:30.

Had this been a Bournemouth game, some folk would’ve been claiming skullduggery , for sure.

We are only hearing one side of the story, ie from the club, who are basically throwing the ref under a bus.

4 minutes ago, renrag said:

I was in a box from about 12.45, the referee came out soon after and had a discussion with Mowbray and one other person. I didn’t count how many but quite a few ground staff were clearing snow and putting in a good shift. The 2.15 inspection was then announced and, it was assumed,  that would just to make sure the snow was cleared. When the referee came out at 2.15, players were in the tunnel ready for warming up. All the referee did, as far as I could see, was to throw the ball in the air near the centre circle to see how it bounced. Some Millwall players were passing a ball to each other on the Jack Walker touchline. There was just an area, about the size of a penalty area in the DE half which still needed clearing of snow. All the cones were put in place for warming up.

After the game was off the Rovers goalkeepers and coaches were practicing crosses and the ball moved fine when being rolled back to the crossers, whether or not the postponement was justified, there is only one person who is responsible and he is not connected with Blackburn Rovers

The ref was out well before then. We were outside the ground at 1.30 pm. Some official looking Millwall guy was explaining to their fans he didn't think it would go ahead. The ref was out for a long time on the pitch. Testing it in various areas in each half and penalty area. He was thorough. He was right in front of us on the ground. He did his job properly. Unlike some in the shadows. Millwall manager was on the pitch being obvious. Didn't see our Dear Leader though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why not start the game and see how the pitch actually? If that pitch is unplayable then how was the PNE home game pitch playable then? 

The PNE pitch wasn’t playable but because the game had started they had to finish it. Today they didn’t take the same risk. Unfortunately they got it wrong both times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben Frost said:

Your lack of understanding is breathtaking. Undersoil heating is to prevent the pitch from freezing. Having it switched on during heavy snow is an absolute no-no. 

As for not covering it, well that's a last resort for when snow is a certainty. Given that when I was out driving just after 10am and not one single road had been gritted, and the A666 through Darwen was gridlocked for 3 hours as a result, I'd suggest that neither Rovers orthe council had any idea that weather was going to happen.

I did yesterday! Weather apps are pretty good these days and the one I used spot on as how the weather in BWD turned out through today.

Someone needs to tell those in charge that they are also FREE

Bad weather, dodgy pitches, are a great equaliser for shock/surprise results.

Prestons efforts to get the game on today, didnt exactly go to plan getting mullered off Reading. They probably have a quadmire of a pitch too.

Looking around the country, Preston are not the only team to suffer a shock result

However disappointing it is, the ref called it off, late in the day, but its his call.

I'd much rather have a semi decent pitch to play on, for the run in as home points are going to be key to our play off hopes.

I dont think Rovers could of done anymore to try and get it on, and given he put Dolan on the bench, i'm actually relieved it was off.

Somehow i think the referees report won't tally with what is coming out from Rovers end. He probably wondered why the pitch wasn't actually cleared in decent time.

As usual Rovers have no culpability in anything when it goes wrong that seems the mentality around the whole club. That pitch could and should have been cleared a lot quicker how many people were stood around with their hands in their pockets ?

Possibly then the clown in the middle could have delayed kick off whilst the got the water hogs on for half an hour. I refuse to believe it was worse than prior to the PNE game, where it then continued to bucket down throughout.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Prestons efforts to get the game on today, didnt exactly go to plan getting mullered off Reading. They probably have a quadmire of a pitch too.

Looking around the country, Preston are not the only team to suffer a shock result

However disappointing it is, the ref called it off, late in the day, but its his call.

I'd much rather have a semi decent pitch to play on, for the run in as home points are going to be key to our play off hopes.

I dont think Rovers could of done anymore to try and get it on, and given he put Dolan on the bench, i'm actually relieved it was off.

Looking like it was going to be Buckley false 9 and Gallagher right wing again, so yeah, maybe the ref did everyone a favour.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Surely he can’t work on ‘assumptions’? He has to take the conditions for what they are? But that would back up my point re delay it for an hour.

One for arbito…

Although it rarely happens in these kind of circumstances on this occasion a delayed kick off might have worked. Ironically our game at Millwall in August was delayed by fifteen minutes The to train problems.

The key people are the referee (who has the final say), the managers and the head groundsman. When I have been in similar situations I would have aired my concerns to the managers about a potential danger to players and asked them for their views. Nobody knows their pitch better than the groundsman so his input would be important then a call to the local Met Office for an update on the weather for the next few hours. A decision based on all the factors mentioned should then be made. I don't know if Eltringham did any of these things but I'm certain that a lot of referees on Select Group 2 would have played today. We just had a referee who took the safe, easy option without too much thought for the thousands of people disaffected by his decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

What would you be posting on here if Rovers where winning 3-0 after 17 minutes then the ref called the game off? How do you expect the Millwall players would have been reacting if the ball was being slowed down by a waterlogged pitch? 

The thing to do was delay kick off, not start and see how we go on. The Millwall fans where already here. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. With Brereton injured, Dack a couple of weeks away and Ayala out I found it interesting that Tony said in his interview that he asked the Referee “to prioritise the safety and well-being of the footballers”, that doesn’t sound like “play the game” to me, it sounds like someone being very clever in his wording to the referee knowing his two star players are out injured…

I think you are looking a little too much into it. Besides, Brereton doesn't look like he will be back anytime soon and Mowbray has always been keen to stress that Dack won't be fully fit until next year. Ayala wouldn't have played anyway.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Were you in the ground to see the state of the pitch? 

The ground staff said the pitch was playable. The managers and players wanted to play the game as confirmed to myself by our GK coach Ben Benson when talking to him before the game on the pitch. We have Kaminski, Pears and Eastham warming up on it, 

And to make the situation even worse for the referee's decision its been bright sun shining since 2.45 pm. So how is the pitch not playable?

No, why would I be in my seat nearly an hour before kick off?

Ben Benson is not going to come out and say "the players all wanted the game off" is he? And to be honest, I am sure that they would rather have played. Ultimately, thats irrelevant in judging whether the game was fit to play.

The problem today was not necessarily the postponement, it was the way that it was done IMO. Should have been done sooner, maybe there was scope for a delayed kick off.

Thing is, you may have seen a pitch with no snow on it and with the sun shining, but if there were drainage issues and standing water, then I can understand the decision, and even being sat in your seat watching the keepers do a bit of catching practice, is that enough for you to be in a position to judge either way?

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't be such a patronising arse..

We knew storm Eunice was coming in well in advance.

A combination of covers on the pitch for the last 24-36  hours, undersoil heating and a proper attempt at clearing the pitch would have seen the pitch in tip top condition for the time of year and the game in no danger of being called off.

Our efforts to get the game on were so half arsed that in conjunction with Mowbray's comments I agree with JB we weren't particularly desperate for the game to go ahead.

Unfortunately if BBD is out for any length of time as some are speculating, we won't be able to rely on the weather to bail us out every week. 

Is there going to be absolutely no acknowledgement of the cost cutting from the owners in spite of previous promises in regards to the state of the pitch, or is the sole focus going to be at looking at ways on how Waggott (and at a push if you can involve him, Mowbray) could have fucked it up?

Just had a quick look at undersoil heating on the internet and can't see any support whatsoever for the assertion that you can't use undersoil heating in heavy snow, in fact the general gist appears to be exactly the opposite in that the entire purpose of the system is to raise the temperature of the underside of the pitch to a point which avoids a build up of things like snow and ice.

It's also mentioned that it improves players traction, which if the refereee was concerned about players' safety would again tend to suggest the undersoil heating hadn't been on. (if it's still operational that is)

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just had a quick look at undersoil heating on the internet and can't see any support whatsoever for the assertion that you can't use undersoil heating in heavy snow, in fact the general gist appears to be exactly the opposite in that the entire purpose of the system is to raise the temperature of the underside of the pitch to a point which avoids a build up of things like snow and ice.

It's also mentioned that it improves players traction, which if the refereee was concerned about players' safety would again tend to suggest the undersoil heating hadn't been on. (if it's still operational that is)

I'm not a scientist but I did also wonder if the heat would help the water dry up. I'm not talking full on boiling and evaporate ofcourse but you'd thought it couldn't hurt drying the surface up. 

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is there going to be absolutely no acknowledgement of the cost cutting from the owners in spite of previous promises in regards to the state of the pitch, or is the sole focus going to be at looking at ways on how Waggott (and at a push if you can involve him, Mowbray) could have fucked it up?

The pitch and associated infrastructure i.e. drainage and heating should have been completely replaced in summer of that there is no doubt.

However Waggott was the one who boldly announced it to deflect criticism after a game was called off due to a waterlogged pitch at roughly this point last season.

If he didn't have authority to go ahead, he shouldn't have announced it. I doubt the owners were even asked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The pitch and associated infrastructure i.e. drainage and heating should have been completely replaced in summer of that there is no doubt.

However Waggott was the one who boldly announced it to deflect criticism after a game was called off due to a waterlogged pitch at roughly this point last season.

If he didn't have authority to go ahead, he shouldn't have announced it. I doubt the owners were even asked.

The owners turned down the request, it’s very clear and sadly why we never saw any football today.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

This.

I was in the ground around 1.45 pm.

We made no real effort to clear the pitch. A few did. Lots leant in their shovels in the centre circle and chatted. Think Soviet era work ethic.

Felt genuinely sorry for the Millwall fans. And the out of area Rovers supporters.

Something's rotten in the state of Ewood Park...

Did Waggott come out and ask fans to lend a hand to get the game on ?

There would have been a thousand volunteers but probably only 3 available brooms.

This must be whst they mean when they say.... we could end up like Bolton.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Unfortunately, our wonderful owners wouldn't sanction the cash for the upgrade to the pitch.  The playing surface is not something they seem to think is all that important.  Not the first time that money hasn't been forthcoming for the pitch.  Fair enough, it's their money and if they don't want to spend it on the pitch it's their choice but let's not blame Waggot for something that is not his fault.  

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolute nonsense. The underlying issue is obvious as to the state of our pitch, a continious lack of funding compounded by the failure to revamp it this summer at a fairly reasonable expense not eligible under FFP. Rather than just say, yeah its the owners fault, you desperately try and deflect and speculate however you possibly can. Even if he did say that publically without asking the owners first, which is a totally baseless theory, the fact still remains that the underlying factor is the unwillingness from the owners to spend £2m to upgrade something of critical importance that definitely needed doing. Even their old friend FFP cant be blamed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

There would have been a thousand volunteers but probably only 3 available brooms.

I'm sure I remember the Club making a mid morning request for the fans to come down and clear the snow covered pitch in the old 3rd division days mid 70.s and the game going ahead.

49 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Absolute bollocks Glen.

On the plus side the other results were OK for us and one less game in hand for those around us. Good day not at the office.

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No

Thats all I wanted to know. 

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ben Benson is not going to come out and say "the players all wanted the game off" is he? And to be honest, I am sure that they would rather have played. Ultimately, thats irrelevant in judging whether the game was fit to play.

Why would Benson lie to people? another conspiracy? 

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Thing is, you may have seen a pitch with no snow on it and with the sun shining, but if there were drainage issues and standing water, then I can understand the decision, and even being sat in your seat watching the keepers do a bit of catching practice, is that enough for you to be in a position to judge either way?

I seen the pitch with and without snow on it. 

What drainage issues? the Ground staff said the pitch was fit to play? are they lying also? 

Given that you weren't at the ground, I witness everything going on. The pitch was fit to play on, the players and managers from both teams wanted to play it, and the sun was shining for ages the game should have played. The only people who didn't want it played with the referee and his assistants.  

7 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Clearing snow wasn't the problem, stop making things up. 

2191D1A5-9AEE-4057-8546-07BF7A139DE7.thumb.jpeg.d52caf56f24eb10aa5587de47bbf2701.jpeg

• Like 1

Chaddy, I like you are very disappointed it wasn't on and we can question if the ref was over cautious. However, how anyone can suggest the pitch doesn't have drainage issues is ridiculous. Stevie Wondee can see its a major issue. PNE probably shouldn't have gone ahead and 30 mins more rain and Huddersfield match would have been in danger. 

• Like 3