BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

25 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Big Sam played Phil Jones as DMC to take a bit of pressure off him. I haven't watched Ash in action, but to gel him in gently would be to let him come on as DMC or RB towards the end.

He could also benefit hugely playing alongside Ayala in a back three, but in a back four it's easier to get exposed.

Wasn't that more to do with just being able to get him in the team when we also had Samba and Nelsen? His first games against Chelsea & Burnley at Turf Moor were definitely at centre back, I think the midfield thing only came about once it became obvious that he simply had to be in the team.

On Phillips, I will bow to others' views about whether he is at Jones' levels around the same age. All I'd say is that whilst 17 is VERY young for a centre back, if he's the best in the country for his age then there's probably only so much more he can learn playing academy football. If it's too soon for him to get games at Rovers, then let him go on loan to a L2 side and see if he can develop more quickly that way. 

• Like 2

I suppose it is to be expected in a league whereby the quality seems to be regressing but the players likely to be available out of contract don't scream excitement or improvement really.

John Swift is the stand out but no doubt would be well beyond our wage budget. Tommy Smith has always seemed a good attacking right back at this level, Kristian Pedersen has always seemed a fairly good left back but unsure if he is any better than Pickering, Bela is a quick winger who always looks a threat, and players like Ralls at Cardiff and Laurent, Rinohmoto and Yiadom at Reading are all solid Championship players who have been offered new deals but are seemingly testing the market.

Even if a new manager is appointed prior to many of these being snapped up elsewhere, whoever comes in (in tandem with the director of football) will likely have to be a bit more creative, or more realistically, be again very reliant on loanees assuming that Venkys keep the taps off.

33 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Wasn't that more to do with just being able to get him in the team when we also had Samba and Nelsen? His first games against Chelsea & Burnley at Turf Moor were definitely at centre back, I think the midfield thing only came about once it became obvious that he simply had to be in the team.

On Phillips, I will bow to others' views about whether he is at Jones' levels around the same age. All I'd say is that whilst 17 is VERY young for a centre back, if he's the best in the country for his age then there's probably only so much more he can learn playing academy football. If it's too soon for him to get games at Rovers, then let him go on loan to a L2 side and see if he can develop more quickly that way. 

I think you're right. Big Sam's opinion was that midfield was a tougher position so it was probably down to the ever-present Samba & Nelsen as you alluded to. 

Loan until January with the possibility to extend. League One should be doable as he's so highly rated.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Retained list at 2

Ben Brereton Diaz, Dan Butterworth, Tyler Magloire and Jordan Eastham have all been informed that the club have taken up the option to extend their registration for a further 12 months, keeping them contracted until June 30th 2023.

Bradley Johnson, Jacob Davenport, Harry Chapman, Luke Brennan, Connor McBride, Sam Durrant and Joe Nolan, along with scholars Joe Ferguson, Brandon Lonsdale and Evan Cunningham, will not be retained upon the expiration of their current agreements, whilst Joe Rothwell has confirmed that he will be leaving the club this summer.

Rovers remain in contract talks with defenders Darragh Lenihan and Ryan Nyambe, however as both players are over the age of 24, they are entitled to discuss their options with other clubs.

9 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I think you're right. Big Sam's opinion was that midfield was a tougher position so it was probably down to the ever-present Samba & Nelsen as you alluded to. 

Loan until January with the possibility to extend. League One should be doable as he's so highly rated.

Hope so. Carter appears to have absolutely smashed it there in both of his spells there so if Phillips is so highly rated. then hopefully he would get a club taking a chance on him too. Then again, I think Carter was also more than three years older than what Phillips is now, and had played a couple of Championship games too. Just a shame that he plays in a position where managers (understandably) tend to be so cautious in playing young players - if he was a winger then we'd have nothing to worry about!

• Like 1

Correct decision to let both Davenport and Chapman go, neither are up to standard and it would have been illogical to keep them thinking that after a combined 8 years full of injuries and occasional cameos that either would suddenly come good.

Bizarre to keep Butterworth and Magloire under contract, neither will ever be good enough so it would have made sense to cut them loose and let them find their way in the lower leagues.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Correct decision to let both Davenport and Chapman go, neither are up to standard and it would have been illogical to keep them thinking that after a combined 8 years full of injuries and occasional cameos that either would suddenly come good.

Bizarre to keep Butterworth and Magloire under contract, neither will ever be good enough so it would have made sense to cut them loose and let them find their way in the lower leagues.

The Rovers must think that they may be able to get fees for Butterworth and Magloire.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

The Rovers must think that they may be able to get fees for Butterworth and Magloire.

Perhaps but I would be amazed personally. The level to which clubs would be interested would surely not be in a position to offer fees and if they did, they would be nominal.

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Perhaps but I would be amazed personally. The level to which clubs would be interested would surely not be in a position to offer fees and if they did, they would be nominal.

I agree, but I cannot think of any other reason for extending their contracts. Then again they did the same to Chapman, who knows.

Sounds like Butterworth struggled at Fleetwood Town... Nor did he quite grasp any of his chances with us last year. However, he is one of those players who may still have that it factor when he picks up the ball and runs with it. He did at least seem to finally manage an injury-free year, but it's also clear his fitness is still poor. Not too bothered about taking up what is likely a quite cheap one-year option on a long-shot.

Extending Magloire surprises me... Figured his career at Rovers was over as Mowbray watched him with his hands on his head in despair in his last game with us against Blackpool... Apparently he managed okay at Northampton before his injury and I suspect there will be a manager somewhere thinking they can mould something from his obvious physical attributes (hence, his multiple loan opportunities), so perhaps we're hoping to recoup a fee for him from a L1 or L2 squad... And, again, can't be that costly of an extension.

I was mildly curious about Joe Nolan given he seemed to get regular minutes when on loan at Curzon Ashton, but I also shouldn't be giving much notice to minutes spent in National League North 🙂

Edited by RoverCanada

What is really baffling me is who made the decision to offer Butterworth and Magloire another year each? We have no manager to make this kind of call particularly committing the club to unnecessary wages as neither are remotely good enough for the Championship. Butterworth is 22 years old and Magloire 23.

I'll wager with anybody that they are both going to come in to the Harry Chapman category.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

What is really baffling me is who made the decision to offer Butterworth and Magloire another year each? We have no manager to make this kind of call particularly committing the club to unnecessary wages as neither are remotely good enough for the Championship. Butterworth is 22 years old and Magloire 23.

I'll wager with anybody that they are both going to come in to the Harry Chapman category.

Mowbray’s recommendations ?

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Magloire is with the same agent who's been around for years and Butterworth i think is with another large one who have quite a few in here.

Just goes to show somebody (Suhail probably) operates above the manager with agents. 

That's why i fear a young pliable coach slotting in whilst he's given what he's told to use.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mowbray’s recommendations ?

I really don't think it would be Tyrone. This is another by product of the poor ownership and not having a manager in place already. I'm purely guessing at the pair of them costing over a quarter of a million quid.

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I really don't think it would be Tyrone. This is another by product of the poor ownership and not having a manager in place already. I'm purely guessing at the pair of them costing over a quarter of a million quid.

With all the exits this summer I think bodies might be their thinking.....Mogadon has left us right in the shit

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Ben Brereton Diaz, Dan Butterworth, Tyler Magloire and Jordan Eastham have all been informed that the club have taken up the option to extend their registration for a further 12 months, keeping them contracted until June 30th 2023.

Bradley Johnson, Jacob Davenport, Harry Chapman, Luke Brennan, Connor McBride, Sam Durrant and Joe Nolan, along with scholars Joe Ferguson, Brandon Lonsdale and Evan Cunningham, will not be retained upon the expiration of their current agreements, whilst Joe Rothwell has confirmed that he will be leaving the club this summer.

Rovers remain in contract talks with defenders Darragh Lenihan and Ryan Nyambe, however as both players are over the age of 24, they are entitled to discuss their options with other clubs.

That's a mighty fall from grace for Brennan - he was being chased by Leeds last year. 

We officially have no CMs on the books, so the new manager had better pull his finger out. 

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

That's a mighty fall from grace for Brennan - he was being chased by Leeds last year. 

We officially have no CMs on the books, so the new manager had better pull his finger out. 

We do still have Travis but definitely particularly threadbare there. Edun is a natural midfielder but isnt very good.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We do still have Travis but definitely particularly threadbare there. Edun is a natural midfielder but isnt very good.

In the first team right now we have Buckley and Travis. That's it.

Edun can't play at this level.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

In the first team right now we have Buckley and Travis. That's it.

Edun can't play at this level.

And Buckley has only really played as an attacking midfielder. The jury is out on whether he would do well further back or indeed if it will even be tried, certain parts of his game will be suited, others less so. Hopefully Johnson and Davenport leaving will give us room to manoeuvre and bring some players in. 

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

CM is his natural position - he bossed the game against Birmingham playing there. Always looked most comfortable when played in a 3 in a 4-3-3.

Playing as an AM / False 9 is fitting a square peg into a round hole. Classic Mowbray. 

He was playing further forward in the first half when he was far more effective. Im not convinced that he can dictate games but I suppose we wont know either way until he plays there.

His best ever run of form came as a false 9 when he regularly pressed as he does very well to win us the ball high up, and it suits him playing further forward because he can play that final pass. Of course his main weakness is his lack of goal threat and that was really evident when he was persisted with as a false 9 for too long.

Even when we played 433, he was much further forward than Travis and Rothwell.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rigger said:

I agree, but I cannot think of any other reason for extending their contracts. Then again they did the same to Chapman, who knows.

Still not learnt, if that's the case.

12 hours ago, arbitro said:

Tbh I suspect it's exactly because we don't have a manager that this decision has been taken. Thin squad, they have played senior games for us, and who knows if the new guy will like the look of them? I think it's a 'just in case' kind of thing.

Magloire should definitely have been released. Butterworth I can see some logic to keeping based on past promise, but personally I'd have released him. Don't think he has the right mentality or the fitness.

If I think about our squad right now, it's not actually very good. If Lenihan, Nyambe and Brereton leave, and no quality signings are made, then see you guys in League 1 for that promotion party in a few years time. Or maybe more doom, who knows 

Edited by Iceman