BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who has ever said Phillips should fill the void of Lenihan? has anyone? 

Carter should start has our 3rd choice now with Philips as 4th choice for me

Who is filling the void of Lenihan (and Van Hecke) then? If Carter and Phillips are 3rd and 4th choice, presumably you have Ayala and Wharton as 1st and 2nd? Meaning our two best CBs just left and you don't want to replace either? Or are you just saying until we sign a CB?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who has ever said Phillips should fill the void of Lenihan? has anyone? 

Carter should start has our 3rd choice now with Philips as 4th choice for me

Did you see his spell at Halifax? how do you know he struggle there? 

Vale would be my 3rd choice striker behind Gallagher and a new signing for the 9 role. 

Did Buckley or Travis go out on loan before breaking through here? no they didn't. Plus I also said that we should sign 2 centre midfielders this season didn't I?

Your Buckley/Travis argument is totally illogical; ultimately there are examples of players sent on loan who came back and did well, examples of players who went out loan and struggled and fizzled out, and equally examples of players who were kept at the club and broke though yet also ones who struggled on the fringes and then didnt make their mark.

Take Carter who you now have confidence in as third choice, he has gone out on loan after shaky first steps in our team and has matured, similar to Wharton.

I never said that you had described Phillips as a direct replacement for Lenihan but he has been assumed as capable in the first team in preference to a replacement for both Lenihan and Van Hecke.

Although you did include a new signing so presumably he would be 5th choice? "CB's :- Wharton, Carter, Ayala, Phillips, new signing,"

As has been touched on, it is totally illogical to EXPECT a number of kids to ALL break through INSTEAD of signing new players rather than in addition to.

37 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Who is filling the void of Lenihan (and Van Hecke) then? If Carter and Phillips are 3rd and 4th choice, presumably you have Ayala and Wharton as 1st and 2nd? Meaning our two best CBs just left and you don't want to replace either? Or are you just saying until we sign a CB?

I would say, when available, Ayala was and is our best center-half. I would play Wharton with Ayala, Carter on the bench to cover for injuries and Phillips as a squad player to move onto the bench in case of injuries or suspensions. It is not ideal, but finances may dictate that this is what we have to do.

17 minutes ago, rigger said:

I would say, when available, Ayala was and is our best center-half. I would play Wharton with Ayala, Carter on the bench to cover for injuries and Phillips as a squad player to move onto the bench in case of injuries or suspensions. It is not ideal, but finances may dictate that this is what we have to do.

You don't think we need to sign a CB? Our two best are gone (disagree Ayala was our best but agree he currently is, but either way he's only good for half a season at best, more often about a third). I'd say it's one of 3/4 signings we absolutely have to make no matter the budget. Others being CM, RB when Nyambe goes, and a striker when BBD goes.

There's no way we should risk 2/3 to half the season relying on a pairing of Wharton (has had injury issues too) and Carter, with only 17 year old untested Phillips as backup, which is what will happen when Ayala inevitably gets his injuries slash it's-cold-I-can't-be-bothered patch.

It's not just 'not ideal' for that to be the extent of our options, it's borderline suicidal and absolutely can't be allowed to happen unless the budget is actually zero. Bringing in a loanee for it again would count as 'not ideal'.

If we can't afford to recruit in that area I shouldn't think we are recruiting in any area and we will be in major trouble. Like roversfan99 suggests, relying on kids to fill all these gaps is madness. More likely to get relegated than be happy with the results.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You don't think we need to sign a CB? Our two best are gone (disagree Ayala was our best but agree he currently is, but either way he's only good for half a season at best, more often about a third). I'd say it's one of 3/4 signings we absolutely have to make no matter the budget. Others being CM, RB when Nyambe goes, and a striker when BBD goes.

There's no way we should risk 2/3 to half the season relying on a pairing of Wharton (has had injury issues too) and Carter, with only 17 year old untested Phillips as backup, which is what will happen when Ayala inevitably gets his injuries slash it's-cold-I-can't-be-bothered patch.

It's not just 'not ideal' for that to be the extent of our options, it's borderline suicidal and absolutely can't be allowed to happen unless the budget is actually zero. Bringing in a loanee for it again would count as 'not ideal'.

If we can't afford to recruit in that area I shouldn't think we are recruiting in any area and we will be in major trouble. Like roversfan99 suggests, relying on kids to fill all these gaps is madness. More likely to get relegated than be happy with the results.

Why don't we stop going backwards and forwards, lets just wait and see what happens. Then we can give our opinions on facts, rather than speculation.

23 minutes ago, rigger said:

Why don't we stop going backwards and forwards, lets just wait and see what happens. Then we can give our opinions on facts, rather than speculation.

If your attitude is to "wait and see what happens" then why would you visit the transfer thread on a forum before anything has happened?! Still valid to hold an opinion on what we think should/needs to happen beforehand.

• Like 1

To suggest Ash Phillips can come straight in and replace Darragh is half laughable and half disgraceful. Yes, Phillips has a good reputation. But he doesn’t know the first thing about senior football, hasn’t got any experience at any notable level and bucket loads to prove. 

Darragh was the club captain, a huge presence in the dressing room, extremely well respected and an established championship player. He will be very sorely missed and his deal at Boro isn’t anything Rovers couldn’t have matched - trust me. 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If your attitude is to "wait and see what happens" then why would you visit the transfer thread on a forum before anything has happened?! Still valid to hold an opinion on what we think should/needs to happen beforehand.

Because I am bored.

27 minutes ago, J*B said:

To suggest Ash Phillips can come straight in and replace Darragh is half laughable and half disgraceful. Yes, Phillips has a good reputation. But he doesn’t know the first thing about senior football, hasn’t got any experience at any notable level and bucket loads to prove. 

Darragh was the club captain, a huge presence in the dressing room, extremely well respected and an established championship player. He will be very sorely missed and his deal at Boro isn’t anything Rovers couldn’t have matched - trust me. 

I don't think anyone has said that Phillips will be Lenihans replacement. I think the idea is that Ayala is Lenihans replacement, with Wharton alongside him.

It's annoying enough when someone says a player's replacement is already at the club, but it's usually a youth player they're referring to. In this case they're referring to someone who has already been in the first team for two seasons (and has a piss poor injury record). How is that a 'replacement'? It's just downgrading.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, neophox said:

Darragh going to a championship rival is hard to take. Premier League ok and fully understandable.... money counts...

Money does I agree but he isn't a world beater and never will be ....

He will struggle vto be a regular in a real promotion chasing championship team.....

Hendry , Moran , Nelsen ,Berg and Short he certainly is not ...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Your Buckley/Travis argument is totally illogical; ultimately there are examples of players sent on loan who came back and did well, examples of players who went out loan and struggled and fizzled out, and equally examples of players who were kept at the club and broke though yet also ones who struggled on the fringes and then didnt make their mark.

Take Carter who you now have confidence in as third choice, he has gone out on loan after shaky first steps in our team and has matured, similar to Wharton.

I never said that you had described Phillips as a direct replacement for Lenihan but he has been assumed as capable in the first team in preference to a replacement for both Lenihan and Van Hecke.

Although you did include a new signing so presumably he would be 5th choice? "CB's :- Wharton, Carter, Ayala, Phillips, new signing,"

I have said I would get rid of Ayala cos he is too injury prone and his wages should be used much better. So my new signing would partner Wharton as first choice. 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

As has been touched on, it is totally illogical to EXPECT a number of kids to ALL break through INSTEAD of signing new players rather than in addition to.

Not at all. You are asking 2 kids to be part of the first team squad. That's it. Vale is 21 years and Brown is 23 so both aren't kids in my eyes. Both would be part of my first team squad going forward. Can't be any more clearly. I posted what I would do transfer plan wise. I think 6 signings would be right for the squad In My Opinion

16 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

He will struggle vto be a regular in a real promotion chasing championship team.....

Or a Samba or a Henchoz. However Christian “ Bloody “ Dailly though is another matter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

i was never one his biggest fans,jumped into  tackles to much because his reading of the game is poor,look how easy van hecke and ayala make the game seem,because they can read the game very well

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am sure you will be on board and agreeing when surely common sense takes hold and we sign more than 6.

what I have said is more than common sense and the right approach for us. Making sensible signings whilst look to bring through a couple of our quality young players. 

Yeah it says something about lenihan when both tosin and van hecke, two fairly inexperienced lads come in and do a better job. He is decent enough at this level and was obviously club captain but i don't think him leaving is earth shattering. He definitely needs replacing though as will van hecke and nyambe. 

• Like 1

We need to sign 2 CB, 1 RB, 2 CM, 1 ST (2 if BBD goes), 1 Winger, probably a goalkeeper  too.

With JDT incoming and Broughton here I think we'll see quite a few unknowns from Scandinavia pitching up in the coming weeks. Could be a bit chaotic with both new in role and having no working history together. Who gets final say on transfers? Broughton is going to have to be very skilled at stakeholder management to iron this stuff out and make it efficient and keep everyone on side.

Also I do wonder if one thing we will miss with Mowbray gone is the good conveyor of Prem loans we have had. Hopefully DJ can keep that going. Weve averaged about 2 quality loans a season (albeit a lot of mediocre stuff too). It we lose that run rate we're in trouble.

On the flip side Mowbray was relatively cautious in terms of pitching young players in. He'd play them, and play them often once they got a run. But he would introduce them slowly. I wonder if JDT and Broughton will be more aggressive?

14 hours ago, J*B said:

To suggest Ash Phillips can come straight in and replace Darragh is half laughable and half disgraceful.

It's really not, but I can understand why on the face of it, without knowing the player intimately, it could seem that way. We're dealing with a generational talent. Only injuries can hamper this lads career. He should be playing minutes this year, mainly from the bench gaining the experience. If he has to go on a loan then that's fine, there are lots of suitors.

Edited by JoeH

14 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s not good enough for the Premier League. That’s why he’s still at a Championship club.

Have to agree, I thought a bottom half prem club might give him a go as a squad player, but he's been available for ages and no one interested. So obviously the market rates him as no better than mid table champ.

Personally while he is a bit rash and lacks positional awareness he is I think he's a very good player at this level. Good in the air, relatively quick, on a good day can pass very well from the back, strong. IMO we will struggle to find an equivalent replacement , but look forward to being proven wrong as others suggest.