BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20238208.blackburn-rovers-transfer-latest-squad-train-portugal/

6 players AT MOST will almost certainly leave us short going into the season so I hope that it is just Rich Sharpe guessing.

From what I see, we have one very good goalkeeper at this level with no competent substitutes. We have one very good centre back, a second who is also good but never fit and a solid enough left back. We have a good central midfielder who will start every week, a number 10 as good as anyone in the league if he recovers and another very promising first team number 10. We have 3 wide men all of whom have a good amount of promise but none of which have shown the ability (as much down to circumstance to be fair) to contribute with goals and assists regularly, a bang average striker and a goalscorer who will leave before the window closes.

Beyond that, we have a few squad players (Carter, Rankin Costello and Edun) none of whom are yet proven at this level, and then lots of seemingly very promising kids beyond that but we don't know how many if any will be ready this season.

It's a big ask. You take our biggest 6 losses, Nyambe, Lenihan, Van Hecke, Rothwell, Khadra and presumably Brereton, so we need our 6 signings to adequately replace those 6, which on a budget is a huge ask. You are then also putting total reliance on untested kids to fill the gaps which again is a huge, huge ask.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No. Indeed, no one has in actual mens football.

But my comments to Joe where in no way in relation to judgements of Ash Phillips' ability and potential. It was around the outlandish comment that he could be a "generational talent." I was trying to ascertain whether his definition of a generational talent was different to mine whereby only a few players every generation could be defined as such, eg players like Mbappe and Foden in this generation. I don't argue against that he may well be the best centre back in the country at his age. The debate was about the description more than the player.

I’ve seen his performances for the u23’s and given he was 16 and he was playing against boys who were 3 to 5 years older than him. I would say he’s as good as Jones at the same age. Ash has had some injuries, he needs a full season injury free to really show if he’s the real deal. Don’t forget at season end he’ll still only be 17! Also there’s many a slip between cup and lip. Ciaran Donnelly was an example of the next great thing. We’ll have to wait and see with Ash.

• Like 1

How old was Phil Jones when he burst to the scene?? Sure he was around 18-19...

What about taking Jones on loan?

Now seen he was only 17 when he maked his debut in the Premier League....so Ash Phillips could do the same in the Championship for sure if good enough.

Edited by neophox
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20238208.blackburn-rovers-transfer-latest-squad-train-portugal/

6 players AT MOST will almost certainly leave us short going into the season so I hope that it is just Rich Sharpe guessing.

From what I see, we have one very good goalkeeper at this level with no competent substitutes. We have one very good centre back, a second who is also good but never fit and a solid enough left back. We have a good central midfielder who will start every week, a number 10 as good as anyone in the league if he recovers and another very promising first team number 10. We have 3 wide men all of whom have a good amount of promise but none of which have shown the ability (as much down to circumstance to be fair) to contribute with goals and assists regularly, a bang average striker and a goalscorer who will leave before the window closes.

Beyond that, we have a few squad players (Carter, Rankin Costello and Edun) none of whom are yet proven at this level, and then lots of seemingly very promising kids beyond that but we don't know how many if any will be ready this season.

It's a big ask. You take our biggest 6 losses, Nyambe, Lenihan, Van Hecke, Rothwell, Khadra and presumably Brereton, so we need our 6 signings to adequately replace those 6, which on a budget is a huge ask. You are then also putting total reliance on untested kids to fill the gaps which again is a huge, huge ask.

Looks like the club is going to adopt my approach and back some of our promising young players by given them a chance at this level which I am pleased about. 

Players like Carter or Vale aren't even going to be proven at this level unless you actually play them at this level. 

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looks like the club is going to adopt my approach and back some of our promising young players by given them a chance at this level which I am pleased about. 

Players like Carter or Vale aren't even going to be proven at this level unless you actually play them at this level. 

Exactly Chad 

We have a lot of posters who expect these academy lads to come in and never make a mistake 

Even at Sunday league the difference between the late 20s and early 20s lads is striking. The calmness during the game, being self assured and more confident. But those older lads started in the same way 

You have to be damn lucky some of the posters on here will never step foot near a training ground. It’s Mowbray level of disdain to our youth. Like they have to relearn everything about the sport because it’s first team and not u23 

Remember the u23 used to be the reserves. Lads have been cutting their teeth in “seconds” football for over a century 

And every single footballer has had a debut 

It is harrowing to hear the lack of confidence they have in our own lads. They are a produce of our academy, some of them local boys who would love nothing more than to wear the shirt. A damn sight better than the waster journeymen we’ve had over the time. If age dictated how good a squad was how do you explain that in the season Barnsley made the play offs, under Valerin Ismael, they were the youngest team in the Championship. They were also the youngest team in the Championship last season and got relegated. It is about the coaching and ability and not the age of the players 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Make sure you get your consultancy fee chaddy....JHC.....

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Exactly Chad 

We have a lot of posters who expect these academy lads to come in and never make a mistake 

Even at Sunday league the difference between the late 20s and early 20s lads is striking. The calmness during the game, being self assured and more confident. But those older lads started in the same way 

You have to be damn lucky some of the posters on here will never step foot near a training ground. It’s Mowbray level of disdain to our youth. Like they have to relearn everything about the sport because it’s first team and not u23 

Remember the u23 used to be the reserves. Lads have been cutting their teeth in “seconds” football for over a century 

And every single footballer has had a debut 

It is harrowing to hear the lack of confidence they have in our own lads. They are a produce of our academy, some of them local boys who would love nothing more than to wear the shirt. A damn sight better than the waster journeymen we’ve had over the time. If age dictated how good a squad was how do you explain that in the season Barnsley made the play offs, under Valerin Ismael, they were the youngest team in the Championship. They were also the youngest team in the Championship last season and got relegated. It is about the coaching and ability and not the age of the players 

Absolute rubbish. The point is not that these kids aren't good enough either now or eventually. It is expecting a decent number at once to all be ready at the same time, which puts pressure on them because if any aren't ready, perhaps just at this very moment, we are left short of options and needing to play them at times regardless which likely will hinder their development if they struggle.

Who has ever said that they "expect these academy lads to come in and never make a mistake?" That is a straw man argument whereby you have taken an extreme version of what people are debating to make people seem like they are unreasonably impatient.

Some of the young lads may be best served developing further, whether here or out on loan like Wharton and Carter have done with success, that is down to the individual player. Some can be on the fringes and if they impress, by all means give them a chance as and when, if they swim, they keep their places, if they sink we crucially have enough alternatives for it not to massively hinder our chances of getting results.

But no, if you want to portray it as an angry group of people with pitchforks not giving anyone a chance, that is up to you.

And Mowbray's disdain for youth? Our side was the second youngest in the league last season, with Wharton, Buckley and Travis key components that he has brought through, as well of course as Lenihan and Nyambe.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, neophox said:

Alioune Ndour at FK Haugesund is an interesting midfelder... scored 8 goals so for. Senegalese international and only 24. Worth a look.

They are playing him as a striker, so he is not scoring those from a midfield position. But interesting player anyway.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Absolute rubbish. The point is not that these kids aren't good enough either now or eventually. It is expecting a decent number at once to all be ready at the same time, which puts pressure on them because if any aren't ready, perhaps just at this very moment, we are left short of options and needing to play them at times regardless which likely will hinder their development if they struggle.

Who has ever said that they "expect these academy lads to come in and never make a mistake?" That is a straw man argument whereby you have taken an extreme version of what people are debating to make people seem like they are unreasonably impatient.

Some of the young lads may be best served developing further, whether here or out on loan like Wharton and Carter have done with success, that is down to the individual player. Some can be on the fringes and if they impress, by all means give them a chance as and when, if they swim, they keep their places, if they sink we crucially have enough alternatives for it not to massively hinder our chances of getting results.

But no, if you want to portray it as an angry group of people with pitchforks not giving anyone a chance, that is up to you.

And Mowbray's disdain for youth? Our side was the second youngest in the league last season, with Wharton, Buckley and Travis key components that he has brought through, as well of course as Lenihan and Nyambe.

It’s not an angry group, more like one or two 

It’s a regular comment by the same one or two (“not ready”, “I’ve seen better down Pleasy”) when young lads come in and have an average or poor performance on here. Happened with Buckley - expected to pull up trees from the off. They are usually missing when they come good though. 
Some of us on here will remember the pelters Lenihan and Nyambe used to get. Now they are saints 

Mowbray regularly rode rough shot over players, like Nyambe, whilst learning their trade. There was the constant talk of “learning his way” and it was quite regular to hear him comment on young lads in the same way. You can ignore it if you like, but it was discussed at length on here 

I don’t really wish to go into much with you but remind you that only a couple of days ago you called youth football uncompetitive. You’ve spent weeks rubbishing the prospect of our academy boys being able to step into the first team as unrealistic.

The fact remains that if, after Portugal, GB and JDT decide they are ready I’ll trust them over yourself, who uses every opportunity to rubbish academy football 

Nobodies development has ever been hindered by minutes playing football. If you want absolute rubbish you should reread that sentence until you can’t read it anymore 

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It’s not an angry group, more like one or two 

It’s a regular comment by the same one or two (“not ready”, “I’ve seen better down Pleasy”) when young lads come in and have an average or poor performance on here. Happened with Buckley - expected to pull up trees from the off. They are usually missing when they come good though. 
Some of us on here will remember the pelters Lenihan and Nyambe used to get. Now they are saints 

Mowbray regularly rode rough shot over players, like Nyambe, whilst learning their trade. There was the constant talk of “learning his way” and it was quite regular to hear him comment on young lads in the same way. You can ignore it if you like, but it was discussed at length on here 

I don’t really wish to go into much with you but remind you that only a couple of days ago you called youth football uncompetitive. You’ve spent weeks rubbishing the prospect of our academy boys being able to step into the first team as unrealistic.

The fact remains that if, after Portugal, GB and JDT decide they are ready I’ll trust them over yourself, who uses every opportunity to rubbish academy football 

Nobodies development has ever been hindered by minutes playing football. If you want absolute rubbish you should reread that sentence until you can’t read it anymore 

I have repeatedly said that it is unrealistic to expect ALL of a group of youngsters to all successfully break through together out of necessity. I dont doubt that we have talented youngsters and I am sure that some will emerge but I feel uncomfortable at the idea of forcing it simply because lots of players have left the club.

Ive never once claimed that I know more than JDT either. None of us on this messageboard have an equal level of expertise to him. Nor did any of us have a similar level of expertise to Mowbray. I am merely giving my opinion, if we can only give our opinion if we feel more qualified than professional managers then we may aswell close the board.

• Like 2

I've not read comments from anyone questioning the merits of promoting from within our Academy. That's the point of it after all, and one I'm sure we all agree on.

Promoting U23s to the first team has to be a considered approach, though,

Promoting just U23s to wholly replace the 6 or so departures would be folly, IMO. There has to be a balance of buy vs promote, experience vs inexperience, which I'm sure JDT and GB will understand.

• Like 5

Phillips clearly has a ton of talent for his age. I’ve never seen him but only heard good things so signing a contract is great. I would imagine he will feature in some first team games fairly soon as you don’t get Jude Bellingham-like fees until they are slightly proven in senior football. Should he make an impression, I’d be amazed if he is here longer than 30 months from now as he will quickly become the next way of funding FFP. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Not all wonder kids make it. Some people can deteriorate rapidly. Franny Jeffers was described as the best young striker in generations at Everton, and secured an £11million move to Arsenal, aged just 20, after scoring 18 Premier League goals.  He only scored another 18 goals in English football for the rest of his career.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1