BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We saw what happens last year when you don't concede many, but literally can't score.

Most successful teams have a strong defence, in my opinion. So I would start with the strong defence then work on the scoring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Exactly

This notion that 'kids' aren't good enough because of their age is just silly

A famous crap pundit was made to eat those words with the Class of 92

Who else here remembers Jones' performance vs Drogba? Sensational. Injury blighted career but it was clear to anybody with a brain he was good enough. He had just turned 18 when he made Drogba look a bit of a mug. Absolutely clattered Lampard if I remember correctly. Ewood's roof nearly came off.

Phillips has just turned 17 so he may need a year in the gym to replicate that performance but if he is good enough everybody will know. You won't come across as physical a player as Didier Drogba in this league or as good a team as that Chelsea squad

It helps if you've got quality players around you, some of ours are, some aren't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If we are looking to 'bring in 6' then previous experience would suggest that 5 of those will be on loan.

Need at least 4-5 first team permanent signings if this window is to be considered successful - in my humble opinion.  

Not convinced. 

Talk about a war chest.....does that involve selling BB-D? I'd like to think JDT would have been made promises, but with our owners track record? Nothing certain.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I've not read comments from anyone questioning the merits of promoting from within our Academy. That's the point of it after all, and one I'm sure we all agree on.

Promoting U23s to the first team has to be a considered approach, though,

Promoting just U23s to wholly replace the 6 or so departures would be folly, IMO. There has to be a balance of buy vs promote, experience vs inexperience, which I'm sure JDT and GB will understand.

Exactly.

Football has increasingly become a squad game - especially in the Championship where you're often playing a brutal schedule of 2 games a week. 

I'm all for playing Academy kids - it's one of the few sources of pride I've gotten from watching Rovers the last few years - but it has to be sensible. You simply can't expect a bunch of them to come through at the same time - 'The Class of '92' is a documentary for a reason, it's basically unheard of.

I think realistically you can only count on Carter to add dependable depth to the squad next season - if any of the other touted names do it's a bonus. We should approach the season as such too - it's not going to do Phillips et al any harm to be in and around the 1st team squad for 6 months, but he shouldn't be relied upon as first change on a wet and windy Tuesday night. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

I would love Van Hecke permanently. He was awesome. Committed, despite not being our player!

I'd love him, but realistically the finances would dictate that it's an either or with him and the lad from Malmo. Get one of them and I'm very happy. 

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd love him, but realistically the finances would dictate that it's an either or with him and the lad from Malmo. Get one of them and I'm very happy. 

I would be extremely pleasantly surprised if we managed to sign Van Hecke -even if we sold Brereton.  I think there will be opportunities for the lad in the PL and I also think it will be out of our financial reach with Brighton probably not wanting less than £4/5 million for him - that coupled with the lad's wage demands will be too much for us I feel.

As for the Malmo lad, seems he might have bigger fish to fry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

So Rovers are looking "internally rather than "externally" for players.

Translation: there's no money to spend

At least Chaddy and his wet sidekick will be pleased 

i could`nt  see jdt taking the job unless there was a transfer budget,unless venkys are going to give him the lambert treatment,in that case he`ll soon be on his way😒

27 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

So Rovers are looking "internally rather than "externally" for players.

Translation: there's no money to spend

At least Chaddy and his wet sidekick will be pleased 

Surely, especially for a new manager, you have to assess what you already have. Also, listening to our DOF he talks about loan players being a temporary solution while youth team players break through. Only time will tell what transfer budget we actually have, but I think a bigger challenge will be keeping within the wage structure.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Impressive that it’s your approach they are adopting Chadster, they must be listening to you 

I'm Gregg Broughton number 2 🤣🤣🤣

But all seriousness I would be pleased if JDT and GB want to that approach and as they have both said this is project and its time. It makes sense to keep bringing in our academy/young players plus around 6 signings. Its a sensible and realistic approach. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I have repeatedly said that it is unrealistic to expect ALL of a group of youngsters to all successfully break through together out of necessity. I dont doubt that we have talented youngsters and I am sure that some will emerge but I feel uncomfortable at the idea of forcing it simply because lots of players have left the club.

Ive never once claimed that I know more than JDT either. None of us on this messageboard have an equal level of expertise to him. Nor did any of us have a similar level of expertise to Mowbray. I am merely giving my opinion, if we can only give our opinion if we feel more qualified than professional managers then we may aswell close the board.

no one is saying an all group of youngsters to break through but 3 or 4 talented young players like Jake Garrett, Ash Phillips and Jack Vale to be part of the first team squad for the coming season. That is what I and other are saying we think we should do. If you disagree with that fine but I will stand by that opinion 

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I've not read comments from anyone questioning the merits of promoting from within our Academy. That's the point of it after all, and one I'm sure we all agree on.

Promoting U23s to the first team has to be a considered approach, though,

Promoting just U23s to wholly replace the 6 or so departures would be folly, IMO. There has to be a balance of buy vs promote, experience vs inexperience, which I'm sure JDT and GB will understand.

No one has suggested that Ash Phillips or Jake Garrett will replace Darragh Lenihan or Joe Rothwell but want them part of the first team squad for the coming season. 

I have said around 6 signings is what I think we need for the coming season. 

59 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If we are looking to 'bring in 6' then previous experience would suggest that 5 of those will be on loan.

Need at least 4-5 first team permanent signings if this window is to be considered successful - in my humble opinion.  

Not convinced. 

1st order of business BBD, get in 20m or so and the playing field transfer wise changes.

Exiled_rover 2 games in 7 days or 2 90 mins is hardly brutal. Football players are not athletic enough.

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm Gregg Broughton number 2 🤣🤣🤣

But all seriousness I would be pleased if JDT and GB want to that approach and as they have both said this is project and its time. It makes sense to keep bringing in our academy/young players plus around 6 signings. Its a sensible and realistic approach. 

no one is saying an all group of youngsters to break through but 3 or 4 talented young players like Jake Garrett, Ash Phillips and Jack Vale to be part of the first team squad for the coming season. That is what I and other are saying we think we should do. If you disagree with that fine but I will stand by that opinion 

No one has suggested that Ash Phillips or Jake Garrett will replace Darragh Lenihan or Joe Rothwell but want them part of the first team squad for the coming season. 

I have said around 6 signings is what I think we need for the coming season. 

Have you ever applied for a job in a footballing capacity with Rovers and if so, were you interviewed?

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i could`nt  see jdt taking the job unless there was a transfer budget,unless venkys are going to give him the lambert treatment,in that case he`ll soon be on his way😒

I agree that I don't think either JDT or Broughton would have come here unless there was reasonable funds to play with

The Lambert comparison wouldn't be the same this time around I don't think! Pretty sure Lambert only came on a very short contract or had some kind of release clause that allowed him to leave but without receiving any compensation, Where as far as I know jdt has committed to a standard 3 year contract, so I doubt he'd just walk away from that and lose out on up to 3 years salary 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulrich said:

1st order of business BBD, get in 20m or so and the playing field transfer wise changes.

Exiled_rover 2 games in 7 days or 2 90 mins is hardly brutal. Football players are not athletic enough.

Personally id love him to sign a new bumper contract (with lots of extras ie. big bonuses and incentives) and let him have a release clause if a BIG club came in with a BIG BIG offer. id hate to see the lad go to some club just to warm their bench like Armstrong and become another of footballs forgotten men 

• Like 6

I'd say 6/7 new players is about right. We've lost 5 players who were first team regularly last year - the 2 brighton loanees and the 3 who have left on a bosman - who all need replacing. Then there's Diaz who will leave too. Did we ever replace Arma? That makes 7 new players needed. 

Dack, Markanday, JRC and Hedges (not sure the latter two are that good though!) barely featured so they're like new signings. The squad players who left, a la Johnson and Davenport, should be replaced by the academy players if they are up to it. Can they really offer any less than what players like Johnson, Davenport, Zeefuik, Giles etc offered last season?