BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

13 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Havong Wallace, Dembele and two others lined up for net zero on the Rothwell deal in January is a sickener. Though I can understand the stance of Venkys not to want to let Joe go, in hindsight, it would’ve been a good move for the club.

Unless the Peterborough Chairman was lying we submitted an identical bid to Bournemouth for Dembele so that bid obviously wasn't reliant on any Rothwell sale and would tend to indicate there was money available to spend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Believe what you want but there are others on this forum who are also party to the same information from a different source!

I think you underestimate the amount of behind the scenes fall out there was which all contributed to the spectacular fall from 2nd spot

Yep, I was led to believe there was a lot more than a million or two made available to spend as well.

Albeit it is now completely water under the bridge.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Unless the Peterborough Chairman was lying we submitted an identical bid to Bournemouth for Dembele so that bid obviously wasn't reliant on any Rothwell sale and would tend to indicate there was money available to spend.

I wonder if Dembele might be considered for a loan. I got the impression they didn't want or need him, and were hoovering up players in a grasp for promotion. He didn't play a huge number of minutes, so could be available considering they have stepped up to the prem.

I think it’s to early to judge hedges. He came at a time we had already hit a wall for whatever reason. Even Giles who I rate looked  crap. I think Mowbray had lost the plot by the time he arrived. Let’s see how he does under a new manager 

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I wonder if Dembele might be considered for a loan. I got the impression they didn't want or need him, and were hoovering up players in a grasp for promotion. He didn't play a huge number of minutes, so could be available considering they have stepped up to the prem.

I think he went on record saying that he wasn’t interested in Rovers once he knew Bournemouth were sniffing

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Agreed. 

Woeful signing.

Would be happy to be proven wrong though - over to you Ryan Hedges

He already has been proving you wrong about being 'woeful', but you don't seem interested. So far I'd agree with other posters that he looks like an average Championship player. Which isn't the insult most seem to think. Seems serviceable as a squad player to me based on current evidence, after a poor start.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Agreed. 

Woeful signing.

Would be happy to be proven wrong though - over to you Ryan Hedges

Woeful? Talk about hyperbole.

9 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

The ridiculous thing with Hedges was paying a fee for him when he could’ve just joined us on a free at the seasons end. Waste of a transfer fee and a wage.

Was it? He signed for a nominal fee on the back of Markanday injury to give us another attacking option in a promotion push.

Ultimately he should have played more which is a different argument but it made sense bringing the deal forward.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Was it? He signed for a nominal fee on the back of Markanday injury to give us another attacking option in a promotion push.

Ultimately he should have played more which is a different argument but it made sense bringing the deal forward.

You look at a player and you think what has he got ? If it’s a winger - Is he rapid ? If not is he a tricky dribbler. Can he beat a man with either of those skills ? Will he take opponents on ? Is he a good crosser of the ball ? What’s his work rate like ? Are his energy levels good ? Is he aggressive ? Is he a pest off the ball, always in the oppositions face ? Is he always showing for the ball no matter what’s going on around him ? What’s his shooting/heading ability like ? Can he play off either wing ?

I’ve seen Hedges play a few times now and for me I can’t answer any of those questions with a positive.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Just a couple.

So they've got a couple of good players, we don't have any, and we just finished 5 places above them with a poor manager in charge, even after a truly terrible second half of the season collapse. How do you think we managed that?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, roverandout said:

And Wales have some pretty shit players 

Putting England goggles to one side and taking a step back at a direct comparison for us at the level we are at. He would have to play excellently over a prolonged period to break into an area where Wales are well stocked. They obviously have Bale plus they also have Harry Wilson who is as good as winger as you can get at Championship level for years and is now a Premier League player, Brennan Johnson who has been a stand out Championship player, Dan James who I dont rate but who plays regularly in the Premier League, Sorba Thomas who has been excellent for Huddersfield and Matondo who is highly rated at Schalke.

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You look at a player and you think what has he got ? If it’s a winger - Is he rapid ? If not is he a tricky dribbler. Can he beat a man with either of those skills ? Will he take opponents on ? Is he a good crosser of the ball ? What’s his work rate like ? Are his energy levels good ? Is he aggressive ? Is he a pest off the ball, always in the oppositions face ? Is he always showing for the ball no matter what’s going on around him ? What’s his shooting/heading ability like ? Can he play off either wing ?

I’ve seen Hedges play a few times now and for me I can’t answer any of those questions with a positive.

He has not played much football but he certainly didnt look out of place. His left foot has some power in it and he chipped in with a decent goal tally at Aberdeen. He is quite strong and well built for a winger too and can cover plenty of ground.

"Woeful signing" is certainly not a rational comment.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

So they've got a couple of good players, we don't have any, and we just finished 5 places above them with a poor manager in charge, even after a truly terrible second half of the season collapse. How do you think we managed that?

You might not rate the ones I rate etc...all about opinions my friend.👍

Hedges had a couple of good games at the back end of the season - Preston away in particular, he was superb.

And on balance, he was pretty ineffective in other fleeting sub appearances.

Far, far too early to write him off or deem him a 'woeful' signing, we haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to make that judgement yet.

Fortunately, it's JDT's opinion that matters the most and if he sees a player in there, we should be happy to trust his judgment.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

What’s the issue in discussing contracts in a transfer threads? It obviously relates to the playing budget, so is relevant.

Nothing, but it’s weird to wanna discuss it constantly and then keep referencing how many pages the threads upto when it’s being driven by chat about players who have left us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

For a club that pleads poverty whenever it suits, yes it was completely ridiculous. It made no sense if he wasn’t going to be involved. He only really got a kick after we’d completely capitulated. 

I tell a lie, he also appeared in the defeats to Swansea and Forest where Mowbray decided to try and be clever with his new signings. That Swansea game was the turning point that killed our season, in my opinion.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

For a club that pleads poverty whenever it suits, yes it was completely ridiculous. It made no sense if he wasn’t going to be involved. He only really got a kick after we’d completely capitulated. 

I tell a lie, he also appeared in the defeats to Swansea and Forest where Mowbray decided to try and be clever with his new signings. That Swansea game was the turning point that killed our season, in my opinion.

Like I said, the point about how he was used or moreso not used is a different one. I think Mowbray should have used him much more so I agree. Against Swansea Gallagher was out, Khadra wasnt fully fit and Brereton had returned the day before so there were mitigating circumstances there but in general he waa certainly underused.

But spending a nominal fee to have an attacking player 6 months earlier following an injury to another in a promotion push was sensible.