BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Clubs I would say our are peers, I.e non parachute, top half clubs are seemingly offering much higher wages. 

In that case ‘the project’, ‘culture’, ‘vision’, ‘JDT’s leadership’ and all the rest of it, as worthy as it is, won’t even get a hearing.

Are they? Championship clubs with parachute payments still coming in are Norwich, Burnley, Watford, West Brom, Sheffield United.

Out of the rest, the only club who look like they're obviously throwing money about on wages appears to be 'Boro, and they're arguably doing so off the back of a impending £20 million sale. I could be wrong of course, but it seems as though we're similar to most other clubs without recent prem money. 

20 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Exactly, people saying it's not about the money and about the journey are severely suffering with Mowbrayism.

Anyone who says they would say no to a pay rise for the exact same job is lying to themselves 

Depends how happy I was - I've turned down significant pay rises in the past because I didn't fancy the travel / leaving my current team.

I wouldn't play for Mowbray for all the money in the world if I was a footballer.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Are they? Championship clubs with parachute payments still coming in are Norwich, Burnley, Watford, West Brom, Sheffield United.

Out of the rest, the only club who look like they're obviously throwing money about on wages appears to be 'Boro, and they're arguably doing so off the back of a impending £20 million sale. I could be wrong of course, but it seems as though we're similar to most other clubs without recent prem money. 

Do we pay the wages Stoke pay either? 

My point was generally more about, players going where the money is, the culture of a club won’t even be part of the conversation if you don’t get close to the going rate.

10 hours ago, damo100 said:

When is the meeting?

Next Monday

1 hour ago, TheRevAshton said:

We've also been linked with Reda Khadra (Brighton) and Tim Iroegbunam (Villa) on loan.

There have been some (more than likely made up) whispers about Cameron Brannagan (Oxford Utd) and Veljko Birmancevic (Malmo) too.

@unleadedis a great source of info at Rovers. Maybe some respect there. 

22 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Nathan Byrne is set to leave Derby despite them triggering an extension. He'll be a free agent, really hope we're looking into that - would be a great replacement for Nyambe.

We should be after that one. Would suit how JDT wants to play, experience and very good player 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neal said:

Can't say I want to see us waste any considerable amount of money on a player who's 30+ and didn't particularly shine at Cardiff. Few 100k is fine but it's certainly not a signing filling me with confidence so far. 

He played in one FA cup match and 11 minutes in the Premier League for Cardiff (who went on to be relegated).

I've seen Celtic fans say he's shit but that sounds like sour grapes to me for him scoring against them in the CL. He only played four games for Celtic and scored two.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

@unleadedis a great source of info at Rovers. Maybe some respect there. 

No disrespect intended! I said they were made up because he was literally asked to make something up moments before he posted those particular rumours 🤣

Would love the links to be legit though, would welcome either of those players with open arms.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Do we pay the wages Stoke pay either? 

My point was generally more about, players going where the money is, the culture of a club won’t even be part of the conversation if you don’t get close to the going rate.

Agree completely with your broader point.

I think Stoke are quite a good example of how tough clubs can find things though under FFP. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that their wage bill has been cut quite drastically after spending buckets in their first few seasons post-relegation, even though their owner is willing to invest. 

I'd like to think that the evidence by the end of the window is that we're willing to pay the going rate at least compared to the clubs that we're currently competing with, but sadly at the moment there are probably 6 clubs in the division who have means which go way beyond what we can do. You'd probably expect around four of them at least to occupy the top 6 at the end of the year if recent seasons are anything to go by. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

No disrespect intended! I said they were made up because he was literally asked to make something up moments before he posted those particular rumours 🤣

Would love the links to be legit though, would welcome either of those players with open arms.

You'd think the Malmo links would be valid, I can't see JDT not wanting their best players.

40 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Nathan Byrne is set to leave Derby despite them triggering an extension. He'll be a free agent, really hope we're looking into that - would be a great replacement for Nyambe.

Didn't Preston want him a few months back?

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Clubs I would say our are peers, I.e non parachute, top half clubs are seemingly offering much higher wages. 

In that case ‘the project’, ‘culture’, ‘vision’, ‘JDT’s leadership’ and all the rest of it, as worthy as it is, won’t even get a hearing.

We’d be able to offer more if fans actually went to the games. Granted Waggott doesn’t help the situation by making tickets expensive.

17 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

And that's unfortunately a sad indictment on FFP

Boro pay wages equivalent to around 80% of their turnover. We pay at about 110%. They still pay more than us.

FFP is without doubt the most unfair system the football authorities have brought in. It's design benefits big city clubs whilst town and smaller city clubs suffer

FFP was brought in to pull up the drawbridge behind the established teams.

Man City just about got over the moat into the castle before the drawbridge was raised. They don't want another Jack Walker upsetting the apple cart.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RoverRB said:

We’d be able to offer more if fans actually went to the games. Granted Waggott doesn’t help the situation by making tickets expensive.

Yeah maybe don’t make it £430 to £530 for any potentially new or returning fans…

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

And that's unfortunately a sad indictment on FFP

Boro pay wages equivalent to around 80% of their turnover. We pay at about 110%. They still pay more than us.

FFP is without doubt the most unfair system the football authorities have brought in. It's design benefits big city clubs whilst town and smaller city clubs suffer

FFP is nonsensical.

We're going to stop you from spending money, in a business that relies on spending a shedload of money. And that way, because you can't spend money your club will progressively suffer from a lack of investment.

We're protecting you from quickly destroying your club by slowly destroying your club.

Platini may have been aquitted of fraud but he's still a World class dickhead.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Man City just about got over the moat into the castle before the drawbridge was raised. They don't want another Jack Walker upsetting the apple cart.

Pretty much.

If a fan was to buy Rovers today, there is not a lot they could do to invest without significantly increasing turnover.

I think I would bring catering, bars etc back under our control and reverse all outsourcing. Then reduce ticket prices to increase footfall and benefit from what fans spend in the ground. But it would be some time before you could make changes on wages etc sadly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Depends how happy I was - I've turned down significant pay rises in the past because I didn't fancy the travel / leaving my current team.

I wouldn't play for Mowbray for all the money in the world if I was a footballer.

Agreed - if we’re talking 2-3 times the salary, it’s a no brainer.

But if it’s marginal salary gains and you are settled, have a good team and general conditions where you are, I’d suggest that you’d be inclined to stay where you are.

Certainly been the case for me in recent years, when the agencies and head hunters start throwing things at you.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, phili said:

Pretty much.

If a fan was to buy Rovers today, there is not a lot they could do to invest without significantly increasing turnover.

I think I would bring catering, bars etc back under our control and reverse all outsourcing. Then reduce ticket prices to increase footfall and benefit from what fans spend in the ground. But it would be some time before you could make changes on wages etc sadly.

May as well close the fecking doors. Most clubs are just making up the numbers these days.

The English leagues should govern themselves. F*** UEFA. Doesn't Brexit carry any benefits?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, booth said:

FFP is nonsensical.

We're going to stop you from spending money, in a business that relies on spending a shedload of money. And that way, because you can't spend money your club will progressively suffer from a lack of investment.

We're protecting you from quickly destroying your club by slowly destroying your club.

Also to comply, pretty much no club now owns their stadium or training grounds. All sold to comply with FFP to a club owners or other property companies and making the clubs weaker.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RoverRB said:

Done to death this but here goes again, gate revenue here would make little if any difference to transfer budgets and wages going off what we know.

You'd need an extra 10k every game in probably to make any significant contribution. As we know history dictates that at a club the size of ours and many others that only happens when in the top division.

Gate money goes to cover Ewood running costs etc as we were told years ago if i remember correctly.  The VH group and player sales cover the football side of things.  If it was down to gate money dictating budget we'd be firmly in the middle of the league below.  This is exactly why us and most other similar clubs need wealthy ownership with money to lose through a football clubs books.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, unleaded said:

I don’t claim to be a ITK  .. all I do is pass on info or names I hear from people in the business  related to Rovers .. please don’t hold it against me if I get something wrong … Recruting lists usually have 5/ 6 players for each position .. some they just enquirer about then move on 

Thought it adds fun to a window to know names now & again which land or even if they don’t end up here …. I don’t make names up as that would be unfair on all here and I respect all members here ……

From what you are seeing, is this summer a lot more difficult for all clubs to bring in new players?

Spending certainly seems to be way down on previous years. Assume clubs are working more on retaining their best talent this year?

35 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Indeed.

FFP was built to stop another Man City. But now they have a Man City! So they need competition to stop them and it should be scrapped immediately. Football clubs are privately owned in the most part, the FA have no right to tell someone how much of their own money they can spend. If we want FFP we need to bring in fan ownership or the 50+1 German Bundesliga model. Can't have it both ways. 2 seasons worth of running costs should be held at the FA in case a club goes bust, a deposit against the club. If you sell it no problems, you get it back. If you play silly buggers, you lose it.

On Man City, the fact we now have one in English football, shows the shortcomings of FFP. We claim to be the most competitive league in the world, yet they've won 4 of the last 5 premier leagues (won 198 points in 2 seasons in the first 2) and have spent £100mil already again, including a striker with a goal a game record in Germany.

Wouldn't surprise me if they won the next 4. We're at risk in English football of becoming the next Ligue 1. Even the cups are now being hoarded by Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Championship also heading that way (and league one too slowly). Norwich/Watford/WBA/Burnley/Fulham/Bournemouth hoard the money and hoard the talent. Whoever comes down instantly goes back up usually! It's a disgraceful rule and is contributing to the thing it's trying to stop more than it is stopping it.

Edited by Mellor Rover

26 minutes ago, booth said:

FFP is nonsensical.

It is criminal in reality

In effect you are banning investment in a business

The idea it makes it more competitive is wrong, as has been seen by the significant gap in wealth that has occurred since the inception of FFP

Football fans really do need to get their act together. The problem is that so many people support the Premier League and the Big Clubs that it would be very difficult to gain a foothold

It is no surprise that Liverpool were the biggest driving force behind FFP. They have also gained the most from the lack of real investment in other Clubs

The line about slowly destroying Clubs is frighteningly accurate and part of my cynicism thinks this is by design. European wide authorities would rather a NFL style franchise where mega money and sponsorship deals is provided through a handful of 'clubs' each with a significant thanks owed to the authority (UEFA) for their existence

It is the wet dream of elites like Platini and co, and we are sleep walking into it whilst we bicker about the idiots who get caught up trying to clamber for crumbs at the big table (Venkys)

• Like 4