BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

lenihan is a bog standard stopper,they are ten a penny

So why haven’t we ever managed to sign one for the last 5 years?

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

lenihan is a bog standard stopper,they are ten a penny,more concerned about losing nyambe tbh,pacey right back who could play centre back,he was very good there as well

Lets see who he is replaced with, as rovers dropped more points when he didn't play than when he did.

Personally i rated him, he was also a danger at the other end too

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's not worth £4m, that's an absurd price.

Rangers have been mugged there - Liverpool bought him for £1.6m and he never played a game for them. He's not suddenly become twice the player.

He had 6 months left on his deal when Liverpool bought him.

If he had been under a longer contract and a team wanted to buy him at that time Preston would have been looking for at least £5 million for him.

He was one of the better defenders in the Championship at that time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Not just those huge international names though, plenty of solid premier league players I remember us making initial moves for but getting knocked back, players like Trevor Sinclaire, Dion Dublin, Mat Le Tiss... Off the top of my head, I'm sure if you where to go through the archives of the Lancashire evening telegraph from that era there was almost weekly stories of offers being made at times, I even remember us enquiring about Edmuno(or was it Bebeto🤔 one of those Brazilian greats from the 90s)

Yep it was Bebeto! https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/blackburn-may-bid-for-bebeto-1.98340

Also failed moves for Bierhof(who was gkin ace and would have been the perfect Shearer replacement) Klinsmann and Martin Dahlin to name a few that summer. 

Obviously Dahlin did join us a year or 2 later but had suffered bad injuries in the meantime so we barely got a glimpse of his quality . 

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

lenihan is a bog standard stopper,they are ten a penny,more concerned about losing nyambe tbh,pacey right back who could play centre back,he was very good there as well

That’s irrelevant - if you can’t replace him like for like or better he’s still a loss. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

I don't accept that Lenihan was all that. A limited championship defender is what he is backed up by the fact that he's left us and gone to Middlesbrough. 

He'd be a car crash if he ever somehow got to the premiership...

We are a limited Championship team with no money he fit here quite well and probably has his best years coming up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Anyone ITK heard anything about Rovers interest in Derby County midfielder Max Bird? 

Everybody knows that the bird is the word?

12 minutes ago, J*B said:

Couldn’t agree more. Letting Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell leave on frees is going to financially burden us for years to come. On decent contracts we’ve let probably over 10M of assets leave for nothing, but don’t have 10M to replace them. Stupidity of the highest order. 

I agree, so why is GB getting such heat from quite a few on here against this background, none of which is of his doing? He's playing a massive game of catch up against our rivals, both in terms of timing and financially, as admitted by him on day one. 

Don't forget we also lost a newly recruited member of the analytics team in tragic circumstances; that's going to have an impact both emotionally and practically.

Let's get things in perspective here. Surely the bloke needs to be left alone t o do his job. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, J*B said:

Couldn’t agree more. Letting Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell leave on frees is going to financially burden us for years to come. On decent contracts we’ve let probably over 10M of assets leave for nothing, but don’t have 10M to replace them. Stupidity of the highest order. 

This, This and This,

We cant magic money, and thats three assets which potentially could of given us our biggest summer kitty for a long time had we sold them and not let them walk for free.

Cant remember what we spent last season on perm deals but think it was less than £2 million, with Armstrong money not reinvested in squad.

I'd be surprised if our budget is any more than £2 million this season, with the promise of £5 mill more if we sell Brereton.

We need to lower our expectations as supporters because we won't be spending big, with exciting loans our most likely market, or players in their 30s with zero sell on value

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

tony did manage to bring in ayala,he`s far superior to lenihan(when he`s fit that is)

The only reason we managed to bring Ayala in was because he is never fit. Since relegation to L1 we haven’t brought a defender in permanently who has been a regular first choice in our starting eleven.

So why we are suddenly going to be able to upgrade Lenihan easily I don’t know.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

The only reason we managed to bring Ayala in was because he is never fit. Since relegation to L1 we haven’t brought a defender in permanently who has been a regular first choice in our starting eleven.

So why we are suddenly going to be able to upgrade Lenihan easily I don’t know.

We wont on a permanent basis, as we aint got the money to buy a proven replacement. 

Our best hope is Ayala stays fit and Carter gets better, and we find another loan as good as Van Hecke

8 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

We wont on a permanent basis, as we aint got the money to buy a proven replacement. 

Our best hope is Ayala stays fit and Carter gets better, and we find another loan as good as Van Hecke

So that reported interest in Anel that went Sheffield United wasn't true?That wouldn't have been a loan as he was out of contract next summer 

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

So that reported interest in Anel that went Sheffield United wasn't true?That wouldn't have been a loan as he was out of contract next summer 

The fact he went Sheff Utd suggest if there was an inch of interest we couldnt afford it, and bar some paper talk there is no suggestion we even bid for him.

Season ticket sales are low, sponsorship is local and very low in terms of revenue, 

Revenue in general is very low for a championship side, i'm not sure where people think the money is coming from to have a real go in the transfer market.

GB will be finding life tough, as Valuations of players is beyond our means.

Wages we can offer is only the money we have released by players moving on. Its the same collective budget.

Transfer fees are going to be reliant on BBD sale and the generosity of the Raos on how much of that can be reinvested

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's not worth £4m, that's an absurd price.

Rangers have been mugged there - Liverpool bought him for £1.6m and he never played a game for them. He's not suddenly become twice the player.

Agreed.

Liverpool always extract top dollar.

When you employ quality personnel who know what the feck they are doing.................!!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its does work well at number of clubs whether its Liverpool, Huddersfield or Norwich of 3 examples of this structure working. 

Well if that's your worry fine but I don't have that worry. 

Last time Rovers had a Director of Football we got relegated. 

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

Out of interest an in contract Lenihan, how much could/would we have expected to recieve?

I'd say rovers would of been looking for at least £4 million plus

IIRC sheff utd offered £2m for him which was to be a staggered deal with only £1m up front