BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

JRC is the one to loan out imo

For sure. Ordinarily I'd want to keep the one with more Championship games around, but JRC isn't good enough right now and needs regular games to find himself. Then again, he is made of glass so probably won't get that, but that's also why he isn't reliable as a backup option here. Don't think any Championship clubs would take him on loan apart from maybe the promoted ones who may want experienced players at this level, cheaply. Be hilarious if he ended up at Wigan...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Maybe, but the Wigan deal (which I agree is a little strange) suggests that he didn't have too much in the way of suitors at our level or above. If teams aren't making the effort when they don't have to pay a fee, presumably it wouldn't be straightforward to get decent money if we were trying to flog him.

I suppose when it comes down to 'protecting assets' - which we've been awful at - so much of it is successfully judging how players are going to develop and what they're likely to be worth down the line. If we think that Ryan, now in his mid 20s, isn't going to get much better then there's a logic in cutting our losses rather than paying him a good whack to stay a mid-level Championship right back.

His only suitors were Rovers, allegedly Boro and then wiggin!

45 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Really? Seems odd I've heard no mention of it. The internet seems to agree it expires next summer, but I wonder if there's a 1 year option. Seems odd for a Prem club to spend a couple mill on a youth player and not give him a 4 year deal. In that case I expect they'll try to tie him down to new terms if there is no extension option. Shouldn't be too hard for them. Even if he leaves next summer they'll be due compo if they offer him a deal of the same or better terms and since they paid a fee it should be reasonable.

I doubt they're in a rush but I guess it opens the slim possibility of a sale. A better financed Championship club would probably outdo us on wages though, I'd be surprised if there are more than a couple of clubs in this league who wouldn't like to have him.

You are probably right that they will have some sort of option on his contract as protection. 

Apparently Brighton had a bid in for Bassey at Rangers but he decided on Ajax .If  they are going to buy another centre half then I don't think they will keep him around as Webber and Dunk are 2 guaranteed starters and Van Hecke strikes me as someone who will want to be playing week in week out. 

If he is being let out on loan and it's another championship loan I definitely think we would be in with a shout of getting him here.His low wages means we can't be blown out the water by another club and his demeanor and things he said suggested he really enjoyed his time here last season. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, tomphil said:

JRC is the one to loan out imo

Loan?? Personally I'd try and sell in the first instance. I would only loan out if his wages were paid in full by the other club and if not cancel his contract and get him off the books. He's only 'fit' for keeping physios busy. 

• Like 1

Barnsley fan in peace here and I just thought I'd stick my nose in and give what I hope is a honest opinion of Callum Brittain now you've signed him.

When he arrived from MK Dons, the general opinion from their fans was that he was very good going forward (often played on the right of midfield for them) but that he was too weak defensively to play as a RB in a back 4.  

In the first season at Barnsley he played RWB and we finished 5th. He was outstanding for much of this season (in Ismael's system he pushed very high & rarely had to defend in his own half). This suited his game as his energy levels were superb and his close control and running with the ball stood out in many games.

His composure and final ball was still lacking and it became a running joke as to whether we would ever see him score for Barnsley. Having said that, he was great at getting himself into scoring positions and finding space as a wing back.

Last season, like every other player, he was extremely poor in many games. A lot, if not all, of this can be attributed to the fact we had 2 Sunday league level coaches and none of the players ever looked like they had a clue what they were meant to be doing.

The thing that got some Barnsley fans was that out of the entire squad, Brittain probably had the biggest drop in form from the previous season.  At times under Ismael he looked Premier League quality, but last season he looked, like many others, like a L2 player.

All in all, he 'should' be an excellent signing and if he is played to his strengths (as a wing back and high tempo) then the rumoured £1.5m will be a bargain.  If he is played as a conventional RB in a 4 he would probably struggle against the best Championship wingers as his tracking back and positional sense defensively aren't his best qualities.

I'm too old to be 1 of those fans who decides anyone who leaves ourclub was 'sh*t anyway!' and when he has clarity and confidence, he should add plenty to your team.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You are probably right that they will have some sort of option on his contract as protection. 

Apparently Brighton had a bid in for Bassey at Rangers but he decided on Ajax .If  they are going to buy another centre half then I don't think they will keep him around as Webber and Dunk are 2 guaranteed starters and Van Hecke strikes me as someone who will want to be playing week in week out. 

If he is being let out on loan and it's another championship loan I definitely think we would be in with a shout of getting him here.His low wages means we can't be blown out the water by another club and his demeanor and things he said suggested he really enjoyed his time here last season. 

If they're shopping around it does put him down the pecking order, but would it make him 4th choice or 5th? Do Brighton play 3 CBs or 2? I suspect if he has a solid chance of making 10 or more appearances in the Prem this year, he'd take that over another Championship run. You're right he seems the sort to want to play every week, but if he's realistic he will know this is the only way he's getting his foot in the door in the Prem. Once your foot is in the door, you try to open the bugger the next season. If he's only going to be an emergency backup kind of player who will be lucky to play more than a token game or two then yeh I'd think he won't want that.

Disagree on the loan. His low wages don't mean we can't be blown out of the water by a richer club, as such a club can just throw a bigger loan fee at them. Also for his progression, both he and Brighton are likely to want him at a realistic promotion chaser and that just isn't us right now for me. If I were a relegated Prem side I'd very much be eyeing him. He did really enjoy his time here, but the only scenario I can see him joining on loan is if the other loan offers were just other clubs likely to do no more than slog around midtable, which would very much surprise me, and also none of those clubs offering a larger loan fee than us.

I do wonder what they'd want for him permanently...I remember Mogga telling us Tosin would cost 8 figures, then he went for about 2 mill at the end of that season.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

If they're shopping around it does put him down the pecking order, but would it make him 4th choice or 5th? Do Brighton play 3 CBs or 2? I suspect if he has a solid chance of making 10 or more appearances in the Prem this year, he'd take that over another Championship run. You're right he seems the sort to want to play every week, but if he's realistic he will know this is the only way he's getting his foot in the door in the Prem. Once your foot is in the door, you try to open the bugger the next season. If he's only going to be an emergency backup kind of player who will be lucky to play more than a token game or two then yeh I'd think he won't want that.

Disagree on the loan. His low wages don't mean we can't be blown out of the water by a richer club, as such a club can just throw a bigger loan fee at them. Also for his progression, both he and Brighton are likely to want him at a realistic promotion chaser and that just isn't us right now for me. If I were a relegated Prem side I'd very much be eyeing him. He did really enjoy his time here, but the only scenario I can see him joining on loan is if the other loan offers were just other clubs likely to do no more than slog around midtable, which would very much surprise me, and also none of those clubs offering a larger loan fee than us.

I do wonder what they'd want for him permanently...I remember Mogga telling us Tosin would cost 8 figures, then he went for about 2 mill at the end of that season.

tony did`nt like players who could possibly get you in the play offs

Van Hecke has had some game time for Brighton in pre season and has impressed Potter by all accounts.  He hasn't fully discounted sending him out on loan though.  IF and its a big IF he's made available, you'd expect it to be late business but you'd expect us to be at the front of the queue (if indeed JDT/Broughton want him)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

They play with 3 at the back.But they also have Duffy(I rate Van Hecke better than him) who Potter gave quite a few minutes too last season and they haven't moved him on.Veltman was also played as part of the 3 at the back left season so if they sign another then Van Hecke will have his work cut out to get in.

If I was Potter I'd be giving him an opportunity, was superb last season, got player of the year.He couldn't have done anymore to make an impression.But he is 22 and if chances are going to be at a minimum at Brighton he will probably push for a move himself. 

I reckon £3-£5 million will get him .They sold another 22 year old centre half to Napoli this summer for £4.2 million who had loan spells 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Van Hecke has had some game time for Brighton in pre season and has impressed Potter by all accounts.  He hasn't fully discounted sending him out on loan though.  IF and its a big IF he's made available, you'd expect it to be late business but you'd expect us to be at the front of the queue (if indeed JDT/Broughton want him)

would be massive if we could get jpvh back here,though i am pretty sure he`ll be in brightons first team this year,the lad is a class player,reminds me of colin hendry

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

would be massive if we could get jpvh back here,though i am pretty sure he`ll be in brightons first team this year,the lad is a class player,reminds me of colin hendry

Anymore coming in before weekend?? 

4 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Decent fee for Brittain, strange considering Venky's had apparently decided to stop putting money into the club 🤔

We possibly shouldn't celebrate yet, it may just be with an expectation of the Brereton money coming in.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet though, so I will. If Brittain is around the 1 mill mark that's the most we have spent on a defender in a very long time. In fact I think in Venkys reign it's only eclipsed (for a defender) by the Scott Dann and Duffy deals. Actually possibly scratch that, wiki says the initial fee for Duffy was about 400k. We probably didn't keep him long enough for too many add ons to trigger. So this might be the second most expensive defender Venkys have approved, and the first to cost more than about 500k probably since Scott Dann when we were in the Prem.

In the Mowbray years the only fees we have paid at all for defenders I think were Bell, Williams, Pickering and a nominal fee for Paul Downing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

We possibly shouldn't celebrate yet, it may just be with an expectation of the Brereton money coming in.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet though, so I will. If Brittain is around the 1 mill mark that's the most we have spent on a defender in a very long time. In fact I think in Venkys reign it's only eclipsed (for a defender) by the Scott Dann and Duffy deals. Actually possibly scratch that, wiki says the initial fee for Duffy was about 400k. We probably didn't keep him long enough for too many add ons to trigger. So this might be the second most expensive defender Venkys have approved, and the first to cost more than about 500k probably since Scott Dann when we were in the Prem.

In the Mowbray years the only fees we have paid at all for defenders I think were Bell, Williams, Pickering and a nominal fee for Paul Downing.

I know it's only Nixon so take it with a pinch of salt but he reckons the majority of our money will go on centre half and the centre halves we apparently been chasing back that up,if it was correct that we were in for Davies and Anel. 

The way things should be done building from the back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

I know it's only Nixon so take it with a pinch of salt but he reckons the majority of our money will go on centre half and the centre halves we apparently been chasing back that up,if it was correct that we were in for Davies and Anel. 

The way things should be done building from the back.

It would also put our CB budget in about the range you guessed for JPVH. Since 3 mill for Anel and 4 mill for Davies was mentioned.

If that's the literal majority of our budget though, and we have spent about 1 mill on Brittain, it probably means there is only about 2 million or so left for other recruits. About a mill upwards of which seems to be earmarked for the Peterborough lad. Leaving about a million or less for the CM we need.

Assuming Nixon is right and that he is being literal rather than exaggerative, both of which are...questionable.

• Like 1

I just want JPVH + Helik and our defence is absolutely sorted. Would be feeling very confident with that and a fit Ayala/Wharton/Cater. Plenty of nous, height and aggression, would be horrible to play against. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 4