BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

13 minutes ago, HedgesAdmirer said:

I’m arguing that Buckley, Dolan, Gallagher, Brereton are all better than they were last year,

Not much evidence for that argument. Players don't automatically get better season on season.

Was Brereton better in the second half of the season than he was in the first ( was the split 20 goals / 2 goals ?). He may just carry on from where he left off in the second half of last season.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Not much evidence for that argument. Players don't automatically get better season on season.

Was Brereton better in the second half of the season than he was in the first ( was the split 20 goals / 2 goals ?). He may just carry on from where he left off in the second half of last season.

The perspective is how confident in that player are you then v now, I’m far more confident in that front 3 take than I would’ve been going into last season 

14 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I've shown you the stats that in terms of ground duels won, as a % of ground duels faced, he was better than Nyambe last season.

If you'd have asked me when Duffy left if he was a good defender I'd have laughed in your face.

🤣

Those sorts of stats aren't easy to compare reliably. He played for a relegated team who will have been under the cosh more than we were. Different system, lots of variables. Besides, Nyambe can lose a 'ground duel' (not even sure how that's defined) and still be fast enough to get back around you and take it back. Still not seen anybody who has actually seen him play say he's a very good defender. We will see, looking forward to judging him with my own eyes.

I wouldn't have laughed in your face, he was obviously a good defender. That spree of own goals aside, which was a blatant and disgusting attempt to get a move (and I still suspect involved some dodgy gambling in the background).

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

In a lot of cases, it is either or. Which quality additions have happened in the championship so far that you're jealous of? 

If we are in for JPVH (don't believe it), or others of that ilk, prem clubs look at them pre season and they become available towards the end of the window.

I'd rather us sign someone of that quality on the last day of August, than Cedric Kipre in mid July.

Our squad is good enough to get results as it is. But I agree we need to add and we will add.

Surely you appreciate that it would be ideal to at least have most of our business done in advance, if we did we would have an even better chance of winning v QPR and the 6 games that follow, a big chunk of the season? And we are also lucky to as far as we know have no injury worries otherwise we would be even shorter.

I don't agree that it is either or and indeed there are a number of signings that I would have had here but it is a weak argument IMO in that obviously I wouldn't be in a position to say whether many potential signings would improve us or not, especially ones from abroad. Ahmedhodzic was incredibly highly rated but ultimately I don't even know if he would have improved us, I have never seen him. I don't think I would be gutted had Brittain signed for another Championship club on the same token.

1 minute ago, HedgesAdmirer said:

Yes as a midfield 2 it’s stronger than that as a midfield 3, otherwise we argue the backline is better because it has 3 CBs rather than 2

No I just let you have that as it took two centre halves to replace Lenihan.

I can’t really argue that defensively three would be weaker than two.

Fair play though. We will find out over the next few games.

Edited by Hasta

6 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/peterborough-blackburn-rovers-transfer-pursuit-24596715

Wouldn’t want to share my innermost secrets with Barry Fry. He’s got a bigger mouth than the Thames Estuary. 

Doesn’t want to lose his best players but shopping them like Black Friday. 

He always has done.  He kept using us when flogging Collymore years ago saying we'd bid millions for him.

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

No I just let you have that as it took two centre halves to replace Lenihan.

I can’t really argue that defensively three would be weaker than two.

Alternatively if you want to look at is an ‘average of ability’ the midfield 2 are better overall than the 3

Nyambe’s defensive capabilities were limited past 1 on 1 defending, awareness and positioning was poor 

Not sure I would agree with that on last season's showing. I've said quite a lot that he's replaceable because of how poor his attacking output is, but defensively I don't think there was much to criticise last year. 

20 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Is Lenihen that much better than Wharton and Ayala?I wouldn't say so.

Fan of Nyambe myself but think Brittain will be a better fit for us and the style JDT wants to implement

Buckley will play where Rothwell was.Buckley will go on to have a better career than Rothwell imo.

Dack back semi fit.

The squad and positions in the team need upgrading if a play off challenge be on the cards  but we ain't in horrific shape.

I guess it's all about injuries. We don't have a single established backup player (ie. a player who has played more than 30 games at Championship level) for GK, LB, RB, CB, CM. 

We only really have established cover for the forward positions, but even then it is only one man deep.. We have five players (BBD, Gallagher, Dolan, Dack, Hedges - I am saying SPL is Champ level which is a bit of a stretch but hey...) with at least 30+ games at Championship level covering the front four positions (CF, LW, RW, AM). 

So we are really inches away from relying on the kids. Over the course of a season there will be spells where five or six first team players will be out.

As it stands we are hoping at least five or six pretty untested kids come out this season and prove they are Championship level, as we will need them. Not saying Markanday, Carter, Phillips, Harlock, Burns, Vale, A Wharton, Garrett, Edun, JRC (included the last two as both are yet to reach 30 Championship games) can't do it. But it's a big ask for 70% to step up no issue, which is what we are currently looking at.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Not sure I would agree with that on last season's showing. I've said quite a lot that he's replaceable because of how poor his attacking output is, but defensively I don't think there was much to criticise last year. 

For me he’s not a modern full back, he’s just a centre half who can run 

5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I guess it's all about injuries. We don't have a single established backup player (ie. a player who has played more than 30 games at Championship level) for GK, LB, RB, CB, CM. 

We only really have established cover for the forward positions, but even then it is only one man deep.. We have five players (BBD, Gallagher, Dolan, Dack, Hedges - I am saying SPL is Champ level which is a bit of a stretch but hey...) with at least 30+ games at Championship level covering four positions. 

So we are really inches away from relying on the kids. Over the course of a season there will be spells where five or six first team players will be out.

As it stands we are hoping at least five or six pretty untested kids come out this season and prove they are Championship level, as we will need them. Not saying Markanday, Carter, Phillips, Harlock, Burns, Vale, A Wharton, Garrett, Edun, JRC (included the last two as both are yet to reach 30 Championship games) can't do it. But it's a big ask for 70% to step up no issue, which is what we are currently looking at.

True and not sure if your late to this conversation but we are comparing last season's starting line up with what our starting line up is likely to be on Saturday. This time last summer we had made no signings.

Signings will be made.Of what quality is anyone's guess but JDT says quality so for now I'm hopeful. 

But as it stands, with us more or less fully fit we are capable of winning matches in this division.Starting with QPR on Saturday.

• Like 1

For me he’s not a modern full back, he’s just a centre half who can run 

I actually think that's right - I'd have been happiest to keep him on the right side of a back three - but I don't think there's anything to be gained by making out that he's not very good at the defensive side of his game. 

19 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/peterborough-blackburn-rovers-transfer-pursuit-24596715

Wouldn’t want to share my innermost secrets with Barry Fry. He’s got a bigger mouth than the Thames Estuary. 

Doesn’t want to lose his best players but shopping them like Black Friday. 

He's such a horse trader.  Said a week ago when he blurted out that we'd made 3 bids, best thing we can do is walk away and ignore him. He's trying to generate a bidding war at our expense.   He did the same with Marcus Maddison a few years ago, very publically hawking him out to all and sundry... in the end they didn't sell him for anything and he's now plying his trade at non-league Darlington.

Edited by Jimmy612
  • Like 3

Last summer is not directly comparable though, we only did that because we had no transfer funds and we had to beg and borrow at the end of the window. Also most importantly if you tally Armstrong and Brereton off, we have lost much more important players this summer so the urgency is greater.

There is also an assumption that Buckley will adapt seamlessly to a deeper role. Suited to it in theory but having only played there in kids football anrd friendlies, we cant be sure as he has made his name further forward, where his energy and pressing has been important. Im sure he played there v Hull away last season and struggled. He has some of the attributes to cope so hopefully he will easily adapt but we wont know until we try.

1 minute ago, neophox said:

Mowbray did not rate Nyambe or Rothwell to be fair they were not in the starting eleven Every game

Nonsense. Rothwell was a key player last season as well as playing pretty much every game the year before. Nyambe has been aside from brief interludes the first choice right back for the last 5 years. Both leave huge gaps, hopefully one has been filled.

• Like 2