BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

35 minutes ago, Bennisfromheaven said:

It occurred to me recently that we have always had decent goalscorers at the club during the venkys era!

Rhodes, Graham, Dack, Armstrong, BBD (more recently) have all challenged at the top of the goalscoring tables without rovers making much of an impact on the league.

Our problem has been getting the rest of the team to contribute.

Now, I believe a goalscorer will be the talisman that boosts the whole team but maybe its time to sell the prized goalscorer to strengthen other areas!?!

If we sold BBD & brought in van hecke, bowler, got a decent LB & took a chance on a cut price number 9, how would that sit with people?

Yakubu also in the Venkys era! And Gestede at the same time as Rhodes. Almost an uninterrupted decade of prolific strikers and 1.5 seasons towards the top of any league to show for it!

There will be some on here who will say we might as well keep him because we won't get the money to invest. That might be true - but if we were considering this from a normal perspective then selling is an complete no brainer (assuming he won't sign a new deal). We've assembled some very good players amongst the dross over this last ten years. Our trouble is that we've managed our assets abysmally and we're almost certain to carry on treading water unless that changes. 

The challenge is finding someone to replace BB even if we have a few quid to spend, and not just his goals because unlike poachers like Rhodes, Brereton has developed an impressive all round game. 

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

1917539240_Screenshot2022-08-03at10_44_26.thumb.png.c376c1c71cf02f5d78ffa5616d149174.png

I've just detailed that in the Championship his record is no better than Gallaghers. 5,500 minutes is enough playing time to analyse his data. 

I'm not trying to give grief at all! I'm just saying I don't rate JCH any more than what we have in the building.

By your reckoning Brentford would never have bought Ivan Toney...very similar numbers not at championship level and he went on to be a very good signing...but you'd have stuck with Gally instead of Toney by your reckoning....

I know who is better by just watching them.  Gally will be lucky to get a game this season, a total donkey as you could see on Saturday.   Not for me.

18 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think we dropped lucky with Diaz - for the first two years he didn't look like he was worth £20 let alone £20m. There was no apparent improvement in his game - if anything he seemed to go backwards as he lost confidence. Then the pandemic hit - games behind closed doors and his confidence rose. Then the call up for Chile - and his confidence went up another notch.

He showed enough in the match at the weekend to think that last season wasn't a flash in the pan.

Personally I don't think he left us in a weaker position (possibly just above when he joined originally) - we now have a younger squad than when he joined - but he did leave at a time when we had massive holes in our squad due to players leaving at the end of their contracts. The contract position is possibly not his fault, but similarly I don't think a young squad is entirely down to his master plan - you only have to look at his handling of Travis.  

Whilst there’s an element of fortune involved, he was heavily scouted by the club - and then lots of work has gone into improving his touch, positioning and tactical awareness on the training ground.

We spent a decent chunk of money (c£3m-£4m) up front on him as an investment.

If we can sell for £15m+, that’s the model that the club has to operate to and represents a decent deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

By your reckoning Brentford would never have bought Ivan Toney...very similar numbers not at championship level and he went on to be a very good signing...but you'd have stuck with Gally instead of Toney by your reckoning....

I know who is better by just watching them.  Gally will be lucky to get a game this season, a total donkey as you could see on Saturday.   Not for me.

Re the part in bold - when your record is bad, don’t be surprised to be picked up on ideas / suggestions, because the general feeling here is that you couldn’t pick your nose, never mind a good player out.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, roverandout said:

How so? We've lost virtually an entire first team and haven't got the finances to properly replace them all

Strongest position financially, along with one of the stronger squads we’ve had going into august before, and I’d like to think the strongest manager, with a strong set of players emerging from the academy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

Whilst there’s an element of fortune involved, he was heavily scouted by the club - and then lots of work has gone into improving his touch, positioning and tactical awareness on the training ground.

We spent a decent chunk of money (c£3m-£4m) up front on him as an investment.

If we can sell for £15m+, that’s the model that the club has to operate to and represents a decent deal.

They key things, is whether we sell him or not. If we get £15 million for him, then it was good business, but if he walks for nothing then, we will have had one good season, plus this season and that is then not money well spent.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

With respect, I reserve the term “donkey” for the likes of Ashley Ward or Chris Brown. Really quite extreme for a player like Gallagher who appears to favour being played as a wide forward (mush as I disagree) and whose numbers aren’t as atrocious as the aforementioned.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, lraC said:

They key things, is whether we sell him or not. If we get £15 million for him, then it was good business, but if he walks for nothing then, we will have had one good season, plus this season and that is then not money well spent.

Exactly - I'd love to retain him, but if he's not willing to sign a new (sensible) contract then we HAVE to cash in before the window closes. 

The whole dack defeat got me thinking weather to experiment him as a CF ? He’s certainly got the instinct and goal scoring ability of a quality striker at this level, that way despite still needing to press he’s not being asked of too much of as he would in number 10 role, certainly worth a go for a couple cameos

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheRovers1994 said:

The whole dack defeat got me thinking weather to experiment him as a CF ? He’s certainly got the instinct and goal scoring ability of a quality striker at this level, that way despite still needing to press he’s not being asked of too much of as he would in number 10 role, certainly worth a go for a couple cameos

In my view, it doesn't matter where Dack is played. If his fitness levels aren't there, it won't be a success.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Certainly not calling Gallagher a world beater, check out the Swansea thread where I'm just now actively talking about how Jack Vale is better than him at a lot of stuff... That's the the line I'm aiming for here.

The line is that JCH is no better than him.

37 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I think we dropped lucky with Diaz - for the first two years he didn't look like he was worth £20 let alone £20m. There was no apparent improvement in his game - if anything he seemed to go backwards as he lost confidence. Then the pandemic hit - games behind closed doors and his confidence rose. Then the call up for Chile - and his confidence went up another notch.

He showed enough in the match at the weekend to think that last season wasn't a flash in the pan.

Personally I don't think he left us in a weaker position (possibly just above when he joined originally) - we now have a younger squad than when he joined - but he did leave at a time when we had massive holes in our squad due to players leaving at the end of their contracts. The contract position is possibly not his fault, but similarly I don't think a young squad is entirely down to his master plan - you only have to look at his handling of Travis.  

Maybe not a masterplan, but not a total accident either. 

I might be fighting a losing battle on how his handling of young players is remembered, but I really don't think Mowbray did anything especially unreasonable there, especially with Travis. He gave him a bit of game time in the L1 season where he looked decent but not outstanding, and where he also got sent off for a horror challenge in an important game towards the run in. We then understandably began the season with the pair who got us promoted with 90 odd points, initially getting us good results before a dodgy spell leading up to Christmas (the first of many!). Travis then got his chance alongside Smallwood at Brammall lane & has been a key player since.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Finlay McKenna said:

From Evans and Smallwood to Travis and Buckley… we’ve come a very long way.

Any manager would've ended up with that pairing...

42 minutes ago, Finlay McKenna said:

Strongest position financially, along with one of the stronger squads we’ve had going into august before, and I’d like to think the strongest manager, with a strong set of players emerging from the academy.

We should be all set for a real go at promotion this season then, considering how strong we are.

No?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I also think that if BBD leaves we need two strikers not one as as we saw in the second half of last season, unless Dack gets back to somewhere near his best there's barely a goal in the rest of the team.

Will people also stop with the "if we do X,Y and Z with Gallagher he'll become a 15-20 goal a season striker nonsense?" He's 27 and has only managed double figures once. It ain't happening, stop torturing yourselves.

I did think I'd snap anyone's hand off if they offered half our money back for Gallagher. After his display on Saturday I'd reduce that down to £1m and get his wages off the payroll.

The vibes i get are BBD and Gallagher won't be here this time next year also possibly Dack.

IF getting the payroll down whilst investing in 1 to 2 million pound players on lower to hopefully increase in value is the aim.

That's the way it'll go i reckon and GB and JDT will be looking to pull some rabbits out of hats but it's probably the way Brentford built up.

And that lot down the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabula Rasa said:

ADM, St/LB, JCH, BBD, PX, JCH, JDT etc. etc...WTF! 😆

Ha ha. I had to use Wikipedia to look at Posh's current squad to find out who JCH was. I'm not going to tell you either.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bethnal said:

With respect, I reserve the term “donkey” for the likes of Ashley Ward or Chris Brown. Really quite extreme for a player like Gallagher who appears to favour being played as a wide forward (mush as I disagree) and whose numbers aren’t as atrocious as the aforementioned.

Yeah, Gallagher puts in a massive amount of work and is good in the air defensively.

Ideally he would be a great sub to see the game out when we are winning. 

I think we'll be happy scraping along this season. The signings so far don't scream ambition of play-offs to me, and Broughton also stressed it will take time to become a 'sustainable PL club'. So season 1 of this project will be lower to mid table with little excitement I think.

I hope we hold out for £20m for BBD, that's what he's worth when looking at the fees the big guns are paying these days.