BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

16 minutes ago, blackburnravers.com said:

Sam Barnes injury confirmed......

Screenshot_20220804-133053_Twitter.jpg

Didnt he have a couple of bad injuries last year and the year before which meant he missed a lot of U23 games /loan move?

Its sad to see, but some players despite an abundance of talent seem to be blighted by injuries throughout their careers.

15 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

So we're down to Wharton Ayala and Phillips?

So essentially, we're down to Wharton and Phillips 

Genuinely what other centre back options do we have? We don't have any midfielders that we could repurpose for a couple of games do we? Unless Edun could do a shift there? 

Would have Gallagher at CB before Edun. 

But either would be drastic..

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rigger said:

Just the 4 players for the two positions. I don't count Annesley or Saadi, because I don't think either are good enough.

4? It's 3 isn't it? Wharton, Ayala, Phillips. Carter is injured for a month.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The continually repeated notion that whether we sell or don't sell BBD for £15 million won't affect our budget at all is a delusion.

Would be interesting to know how our budget for this season was arrived at - but I'd guess that had we not sold Armstrong & we let him go for nowt this summer, then I suspect the budget would be smaller.

We might be saying something similar next year with Ben, depending on what happens this summer. 

5 minutes ago, benhben said:

Didnt he have a couple of bad injuries last year and the year before which meant he missed a lot of U23 games /loan move?

Its sad to see, but some players despite an abundance of talent seem to be blighted by injuries throughout their careers.

Yeah, tore his thigh muscle (I think) around the same time last year, which kept him out for months.

Absolute shame, as he was on the verge of the first team. He was about to come on as a sub late on in the QPR game, got the nod from JDT and had his shirt on ready.

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

This something you’ve heard ?

Unfortunately not. Not been around my "ITK" sources all summer. 

But it's wishful thinking that anytime a "good player" passes us by, to hope it's because they're waiting on an even better one?

If Rovers turn Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell into Van Hecke, Brittain and Szmodics that would be a solid enough transition (if for one second you ignore the massive financial defect of the 3 leaving for £0 instead of £10m+ their contacted value)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Would have Gallagher at CB before Edun. 

But either would be drastic..

Yeah neither in anyway good. I've used some pre-school logic with edun. He was bought in as a LB and to cover CM

CM + LB = CB 🤣🤣🤣🤣

shows how desperate my scan of the squad for cover at CB got. 

3 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Unfortunately not. Not been around my "ITK" sources all summer. 

But it's wishful thinking that anytime a "good player" passes us by, to hope it's because they're waiting on an even better one?

If Rovers turn Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell into Van Hecke, Brittain and Szmodics that would be a solid enough transition (if for one second you ignore the massive financial defect of the 3 leaving for £0 instead of £10m+ their contacted value)

And the probable £6.5+ mill it would likely cost to buy them too.

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Genuinely what other centre back options do we have? We don't have any midfielders that we could repurpose for a couple of games do we? Unless Edun could do a shift there? 

Has Phillips even sign his contract yet? 

This should encourage a huge push for CB's at the club, though I like to imagine they were already hard at it.

Would like to see us bring an experienced head in, there are a bunch available as free agents - Alfie Mawson, Michael Hector, Naby Sarr and Yoann Barbet to name a few. Any of those would provide solid cover and be great to have around our youngsters... and i'm sure our wages will do for them, since they're all currently set to earn £0 this season.

With a bit lot of luck, JPVH becomes our marquee signing of the window in the not-too-distant future, and we'll be comfortable.

For now, we just have to pray that Ayala doesn't take a knock. I'd imagine him and Wharton are only taking part in light training at the moment.

Edited by TheRevAshton

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Cheery fker you 👍

When was the last time Ayala was unavailable for selection through injury? Over 6 months ago id say of the top of my head

7 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Cheery fker you 👍

When was the last time Ayala was unavailable for selection through injury? Over 6 months ago id say of the top of my head

Three months of which were the Summer break. He’s played thirty games in the last two seasons. Not great.

As soon as I see somebody hesitate to bring in quality because they 'don't want to block the pathways', that's when I know we are on to a loser. That is what Broughton displayed a few days ago, in my view.

An extreme example, as he was a top class manager, but remember when Wenger refused to properly replace Vieira, Henry and Co because he "didn't want to block the pathway of the youngsters"? They persisted with those youngsters and went to shit (relative to their ambitions) and have been floundering for 18 years without a league title.

In our case, we've been floundering for 12 years and look set to add a few more to that as Broughton feeds us some guff about a youth project and "measures of success".

I'm not convinced that any of this lot (aside from JDT, maybe) are serious about promotion. It looks like it is all about developing kids, getting them minutes and hoping to sell them on for big fees further down the line.

You only have to read/listen to Broughton's spiel to understand what he sees as success.

One of the first things he said when he arrived was that Rovers would have to overachieve to make it to the Premier League. Inspirational stuff and exactly what you want to hear.

Next, he talked about how almost 40 percent of the minutes played by the Rovers squad last season were from Academy players, and how that needed to be maintained this season. Why? Is the aim to win football matches and try and go up or to give minutes to youngsters and crow about how many first teamers are from the Academy?

On a podcast about his time at Bodo, he talks about how one of the ways of measuring success was by looking at the 'R number' of the Football Club. That is done at any stage, over a five year average, by looking at how many young players from the Academy are in the first team. The more, the better, for the 'R number'. What a load of bollocks! I thought football was about trying to be the best, though? I've obviously had it wrong for all of these years.

Just like the 40 percent quote about the Rovers first team, he proudly mentioned how Bodo had 35 percent of their first team made up of North Norwegians from their Academy. This guy will do stuff all, IMO, and won't help us to get promoted. As long as the youngsters are getting game time, it's all good.

Bear in mind, he turned up at Luton when they had just finished outside the play offs in the Championship. They went on to suffer three successive relegations whilst he was there. Not saying it was all on him, clearly. However, in his own words, he had the autonomy to implement the vision of the Academy. Three relegations. Yet he takes the fact that youngsters got first team football and brought increased financial value to the club as plusses. Three relegations, but the above are positives. That should serve as a warning sign, in my opinion.

We missed out on Anel, Davies, many of us are after Van Hecke and another quality defender. Will he want to 'block the pathway' for Carter and Phillips by bringing in a couple of quality defenders? I highly doubt it. I'm expecting another cheap loan back there.

Our DoF would do well to remember what Alan Hansen said, and it still applies today 27 years on:

"You can't win anything with kids".

• Like 6

Great post. If a young player as an individual is deemed to be good enough then he will break through either way, every summer with this one particularly bad, we have this thing where people say we don't need to replace x number of senior departees because our young players will all simultaneously step up.

That R number is a load of nonsense. If you start measuring targets like that, there becomes a very real chance of that objective conflicting with that of winning football matches.

• Like 1

When you look at our squad - with Carter already our for a month - we are now looking very threadbare. The Hartlepool match will be interesting - wouldnt be surprised to see another early exit as we will have to protect the few centre halves we have - unless we get someone in prior to the match.