BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

I see our current first choice cb pairing as Carter and Wharton. Ayala cannot be banked upon to play regularly this season, anything we get from is a bonus. And that cb partnership needs improving upon and Carter is injured.

Phillips pathway being blocked shouldn't be considered until he signs his contract, the fact we are going for 2 suggests to me that he isn't signing.

Van der berg makes sense on loan to an extent, he's likely an upgrade on Carter but with him playing cb and rb will block his progress. North end fans really rated him, but he played lost of his games as a right wing back or right of a back 3, I'm unsure of his reliability in a back 4.

I'd prefer a permanent addition at cb tbh.

If its another loan so be it

The way I see the CB situation is that we need 4, at least 2 on the pitch at any given time, sometimes 3 and at least 1 on the bench to step in.

Forget about Barnes for this season, this leaves Ayala, Wharton, Carter (when back from injury) and Phillips. I wouldn't be making any plans that are reliant on Phillips unless he commits to a deal. If he doesn't he should be treated like a loan player. We don't even know if he is good enough yet.

I want Carter to get a shot at it as he needs to and earned rave reviews at Portsmouth last season. If he doesn't make the breakthrough this season then he's going to be moving on.

What won't impress me is if we sign this Dutch lad from Liverpool on the proviso that he is going to be playing every week, and in doing so dislodges one of our own CBs e.g. Carter. Whilst Ayala is the most likely given his age, cost and injury record he is simply too good to drop when he is fit.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Tbf, that's not a bad compliment saying it's a sideways move for him to move from Liverpool to us! 🤣

Let's get it done just to piss them off even more.

He must be a decent player for them to be crying about it, although I'm wary that those Preston fans may not be the most knowledgable bunch.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, booth said:

PNE fans in meltdown.

A sideways move according to them 😂 🤣

If anyone can bear the delusion...

https://www.pne-online.net/forum/index.php?threads/summer-transfers-2022-rumours-and-discussion.3435468/page-1587

Not sure if Liverpool would want him here for a third consecutive season. Although we’re essentially in the same if not a slightly better position than Rovers

That's a quote from a pne bellend.  Delusional 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Not sure if Liverpool would want him here for a third consecutive season. Although we’re essentially in the same if not a slightly better position than Rovers

That's a quote from a pne bellend.  Delusional 

See, 'sideways step' I don't take issue with. We are both midtable Championship sides in the NW with mild chances at playoff tilts. In that sense we are much of a muchness at present. But I'd love to know in what universe they think they're in a better position or a more attractive prospect. That really is delusion.

Finished 5 places and 5 points above them last season. 100% start to this season.

• Like 2

I suppose to them it's like JPvH coming back here then next season going to Preston so i can understand their horror.

Nice how they think so fondly of Burnley though quite touching they  know they are minnows even compared to that lot.

• Like 1

The imminent focus is winning games and doing well this season and Van Den Berg is a really good player, I saw Preston a few times last season and he (aside from when we battered them) stood out and Preston fans are gutted that he could be coming here. He also can fill in on the right which hopefully pushes Rankin Costello further from the team.

I think his calibre is comparable to many of the other centre backs we have wanted this summer and also as an individual (ignoring contracts etc) he comes with IMO a more exciting recent history, 18 months of impressing at this level against a player in Morton who has barely played proper football, an attacking midfielder who has twice struggled at this level and a right back who had mixed reviews off the back of a relegation at this level, although that is not me being critical of those 3 as they have all started well here.

Hopefully if there is truth in the story, we can get it over the line to have him involved at the weekend.

Questions would follow regarding what we do from here, if we are going with a back 4 then is Wharton, Ayala, Van Den Berg and Carter enough or do we need another? For me, a striker and a central midfielder would both be more important than another centre back for the immediate focus. We also supposedly have more money to spend, will that money be available on other positions instead?

I also have seen suggestions that he didn't join Burnley because they wanted a penalty clause if he made less than 30 appearances, I would strongly oppose anything like that.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The imminent focus is winning games and doing well this season and Van Den Berg is a really good player, I saw Preston a few times last season and he (aside from when we battered them) stood out and Preston fans are gutted that he could be coming here. He also can fill in on the right which hopefully pushes Rankin Costello further from the team.

I think his calibre is comparable to many of the other centre backs we have wanted this summer and also as an individual (ignoring contracts etc) he comes with IMO a more exciting recent history, 18 months of impressing at this level against a player in Morton who has barely played proper football, an attacking midfielder who has twice struggled at this level and a right back who had mixed reviews off the back of a relegation at this level, although that is not me being critical of those 3 as they have all started well here.

Hopefully if there is truth in the story, we can get it over the line to have him involved at the weekend.

Questions would follow regarding what we do from here, if we are going with a back 4 then is Wharton, Ayala, Van Den Berg and Carter enough or do we need another? For me, a striker and a central midfielder would both be more important than another centre back for the immediate focus. We also supposedly have more money to spend, will that money be available on other positions instead?

I also have seen suggestions that he didn't join Burnley because they wanted a penalty clause if he made less than 30 appearances, I would strongly oppose anything like that.

I think the plan is to bring in 2cb's, one permanently and one on loan.

I think after that we still need a LB, a striker and a right side forward to replace Gallagher.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Questions would follow regarding what we do from here, if we are going with a back 4 then is Wharton, Ayala, Van Den Berg and Carter enough or do we need another?

Ayala is injury prone and Carter isn't good enough....so I'd say CB is critical.  This one can play in a 3 aswell.  I read that JDT favours and 352...I may be wrong.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phili said:

I think the plan is to bring in 2cb's, one permanently and one on loan.

I think after that we still need a LB, a striker and a right side forward to replace Gallagher.

Because Van Den Berg was so good at this level last season, if we did get him then it presumably wouldnt be to do anything but get a good level of game time, especially with other teams interested. So even if we assume an injury to Ayala, that second permanent centre back would have Wharton and Van Den Berg to get past so I couldnt see it being a real marquee signing.

I would also say that a second centre back is less urgent than another central midfielder and a striker.

9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ayala is injury prone and Carter isn't good enough....so I'd say CB is critical.  This one can play in a 3 aswell.  I read that JDT favours and 352...I may be wrong.

I dont think from what I have read that Tomasson played a 3 at Malmo.

• Like 1