BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

There is a certain journalist who has been saying we are and have always have been after 2 central defenders , my guess is VDB will arrive end of window but target 2 will come in first 

35 minutes ago, xtp said:

Give us a source with better guesswork and we'll go with that. Hell, what are they on on Football Manager? That's probably not a bad estimate. 

Just going to reiterate that our god tier manager had Phillips behind Ayala, Wharton, Carter and Barnes at the start of the season. Comparisons to Shearer and talking about £40-£50million sales seem a little premature at the mo. 

No source is accurate - but that last one was particularly bad. 

I think we can safely say Gallagher, Ayala and Dack are the three biggest earners and probably on around 20k (or a bit more). This is just because information from others on here said that Lenihan was finally offered terms of 20K+ which would have put him among the top earners. Kaminski is possibly in that bracket as well as he recently signed an extension. 

After that, you probably have the likes of Travis, Brittain, and Brereton on between 10k - 15k. 

Alot of the younger lads are on their first pro deals so Dolan, Buckley, and Wharton so probably around 5k. Wouldnt have thought the lads that came up from League 1 (Edun and Pickering) will be on much more or less than that either. 

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Nobody is saying its a bidding war between us and Spurs.  What we need to do is take the bull by the horns, show him he is first in once an injury or suspension happens to Ayala or Wharton and he will be happy with that and 10kpw

How do you know he will be happy with that ? In particular, what if his representatives want him at a bigger club that will pay more ?

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I am sure we could match 10k p/w. I'm fairly sure we won't match 10k p/w for a 17 year old with 2 games under his belt. It's just not how we operate. And even if we did, Spurs would just gazump it with barely a second thought.

That's the point, isn't it. Spurs will have a turnover this year in the region of £450m whilst we will have a turnover of approx £17m. If Spurs decide they really want him they will be able to offer him more than we can. The best hope for holding on to the player is to keep him until the end of the season and if we get promoted to the Premier League and he has established himself as a member of the first team squad then our wage offer will be a lot closer to Spurs and he might consider that staying at the club with a more realistic chance of first team football is the right move.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

No source is accurate - but that last one was particularly bad. 

I think we can safely say Gallagher, Ayala and Dack are the three biggest earners and probably on around 20k (or a bit more). This is just because information from others on here said that Lenihan was finally offered terms of 20K+ which would have put him among the top earners. Kaminski is possibly in that bracket as well as he recently signed an extension. 

After that, you probably have the likes of Travis, Brittain, and Brereton on between 10k - 15k. 

Alot of the younger lads are on their first pro deals so Dolan, Buckley, and Wharton so probably around 5k. Wouldnt have thought the lads that came up from League 1 (Edun and Pickering) will be on much more or less than that either. 

Interesting. Thanks for the numbers. Personally, I'd be comfortable with Phillips being offered in the region of Dolan - given his undoubted potential - and despite the fact Dolan is likely to contribute a lot more this season. I'd be very worried if he was offered above Travis (our captain) or anywhere near Brereton.

Like I say, just my take on it. Fulham got £4.3 million for Harvey Elliott a while back, so if Phillips does break into the first team this year, at least he won't be leaving for nothing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, xtp said:

Interesting. Thanks for the numbers. Personally, I'd be comfortable with Phillips being offered in the region of Dolan - given his undoubted potential - and despite the fact Dolan is likely to contribute a lot more this season. I'd be very worried if he was offered above Travis (our captain) or anywhere near Brereton.

Like I say, just my take on it. Fulham got £4.3 million for Harvey Elliott a while back, so if Phillips does break into the first team this year, at least he won't be leaving for nothing.

The main factor in any tribunal for us would be a future sell on percentage.  That potentially dwarfs any up front award.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Honestly,   We are top of the league, in desperate need of defenders and we are discussing our brightest prospect (a defender) leaving.  Not a sniff of incomings.

Come on Broughton.  

Other than the loan deal agreed for Van den Berg you mean?

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Where is it from that Mowbray never spent his budget or that he declined a £5m budget? Something which goes against him wanting to sell Rothwell to raise funds.

Easier to judge on what is spent eather than on rumours on what wasnt spent. But surely we can expect a big net spend with all this spare money sloshing around.

Mowbray was a players man he always was and i said at the time i think he was more pissed because he couldn't help Joe get his big move.

Why would he tell everyone that there would be nothing from the Armstrong sale nor probably anything from a Brereton sale but all of a sudden this mythical 6 million for Rothwell is going to his promotion push mid season ?

Come off it that really doesn't add up it's BS.

Tony was a very good arse coverer we listened to it on a weekly basis for years.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
6 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Other than the loan deal agreed for Van den Berg you mean?

Is this actually agreed though? Where have you seen this?

Him being on the bench for Liverpool and then having numerous injuries in his position suggests not….

• Like 1

Just now, superniko said:

He was sat on the bench for Liverpool last night. We need 2 CBs now, not to wait until Liverpool are happy to hand him over

He may well have been, means feck all. Morton played for them in pre season 24 hours before he signed.

We don't 'need' any right now. We should get through Reading with Ayala and Phillips, Pickering as emergency cover. 

Agreed we need 2, but waiting for the right targets is better than signing those we don't particularly want. 

Brittain was worth the wait, Morton looks like he could well be, and the same with Szmodics. We'll gain more points over a season by signing the right players than we will in the short term by loaning emergency stop-gaps.

5 minutes ago, superniko said:

He was sat on the bench for Liverpool last night. We need 2 CBs now, not to wait until Liverpool are happy to hand him over

Though I agree we have an urgent need - which is better, get someone in now who potentially isn't as good, or wait two or three matches for the better player to become available?

Van Hecke still sitting on his hands at Brighton, nowhere near being a first pick, waiting to be picked up by any club that's interested. He said he loved it at Rovers and would jump at the chance to return. It's a complete no brainer for us to sign him permanently and you have to presume the money isn't available to sign him - which says everything about the owners' ambitions for the season ahead 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Agreed we need 2, but waiting for the right targets is better than signing those we don't particularly want. 

Brittain was worth the wait, Morton looks like he could well be, and the same with Szmodics. We'll gain more points over a season by signing the right players than we will in the short term by loaning emergency stop-gaps.

Totally agree, not good for the nerves though

21 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Mowbray was a players man he always was and i said at the time i think he was more pissed because he couldn't help Joe get his big move.

Why would he tell everyone that there would be nothing from the Armstrong sale nor probably anything from a Brereton sale but all of a sudden this mythical 6 million for Rothwell is going to his promotion push mid season ?

Come off it that really doesn't add up it's BS.

Tony was a very good arse coverer we listened to it on a weekly basis for years.

Forgetting Mowbray as my point was about the owners. I dont believe that we had a £5m budget that went unspent, thats my point. Makes even less sense when you factor in that Mowbray complained that he want some money to reinvest. Whether there was arse covering by Mowbray or not, my point is that I don't take much notice of rumours that we have much money unspent and I would presume that is common anyway. If a manager is allocated x amount as a budget, surely the chances of him spending it to the penny are very unlikely anyway. Ill continue to judge on what is spent rather than rumours of what apparently isnt.

My other point is I strongly disagree with the notion of Venkys overuling the manager preventing sales and potential reinvestment and find it incredible that people defend them for it.

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Van Hecke still sitting on his hands at Brighton, nowhere near being a first pick, waiting to be picked up by any club that's interested. He said he loved it at Rovers and would jump at the chance to return. It's a complete no brainer for us to sign him permanently and you have to presume the money isn't available to sign him - which says everything about the owners' ambitions for the season ahead 

Did he say that he would jump at a return? Where are those quotes?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Can van hecke play in a 2 at the back . I'm not so sure . I thought he was quite poor whenever he did . 3 at the back he's great . 2 at the back I feel he's too slow and he struggled. Just my opinion of course .

1 minute ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Can van hecke play in a 2 at the back . I'm not so sure . I thought he was quite poor whenever he did . 3 at the back he's great . 2 at the back I feel he's too slow and he struggled. Just my opinion of course .

You won't get many slower than Ayala and Wharton and they seem to be doing OK this season...

• Like 7