BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

That’s a budget not seen at this football club in years, I’d be astonished and angry if we spent that sort of money now.

We had the best opportunity in 12yrs to go up last season and they failed to back the manager, if they do it now I’d be absolutely fuming and convinced the plan is to remain in Championship.

Or if we were to spend that amount it would give credibility to the rumour that Mowbray did have a budget in January but just didn't use it.

Well half rumour as Mowbray himself confirmed he had the opportunity to bring players here in January but didn't feel the need 

• Like 1

I know the window isn't closed yet but at this stage it's been very poor. Some excellent business needs to be done but if we haven't done it after all this time I'm not expecting it to be done in less than 2 weeks. 

The only upside is we MIGHT be able to use our current league position to convince certain players to join. 

Very disappointing. 

• Like 2

I am really uncomfortable with this slow build talk. Football evolves and changes so quickly and after the suggested three year period how many of today's squad will still be here? Trying to plan so far ahead in a notoriously volatile industry is doomed to failure in my view. In his time here Mowbray built two squads, one comparatively expensive and we never even got to the playoffs. That was five years.

Early days I know but on Wednesday what hurt us  most was the weakness of the squad and I'm fearful that this is going to hurt us tomorrow. The here and now is our squad is too weak.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I am really uncomfortable with this slow build talk. Football evolves and changes so quickly and after the suggested three year period how many of today's squad will still be here? Trying to plan so far ahead in a notoriously volatile industry is doomed to failure in my view. In his time here Mowbray built two squads, one comparatively expensive and we never even got to the playoffs. That was five years.

Early days I know but on Wednesday what hurt us  most was the weakness of the squad and I'm fearful that this is going to hurt us tomorrow. The here and now is our squad is too weak.

We’re ok if we score first. Go behind and we struggle. That’s been the case for years. We sign too many nice lads. When did we last sign a fighter in the mould of Speedie or Moran  or Flitcroft ? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Mullan says we are still interested but I was told we backed out the minute we loaned morton, Styles was being looked at for midfield not for LB, Styles can play lwb in a back 5 not a back 4

Puts the problem off for another year!  😨

41 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Or if we were to spend that amount it would give credibility to the rumour that Mowbray did have a budget in January but just didn't use it.

Well half rumour as Mowbray himself confirmed he had the opportunity to bring players here in January but didn't feel the need 

He had no funds in summer 2021, what makes you think he suddenly had funds in January? 

What he did have in January was a top scorer about to miss several games due to international duty and a growing injury list.

Read between the lines islander200, he was saving face for the owners, he had no funds to speak of or he'd have spent them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

He had no funds in summer 2021, what makes you think he suddenly had funds in January? 

What he did have in January was a top scorer about to miss several games due to international duty and a growing injury list.

Read between the lines islander200, he was saving face for the owners, he had no funds to speak of or he'd have spent them.

Mowbray spent plenty in his time here, would of been madness to trust him with more! The bloke played Bradley Johnson as a false 9 FFS! Mowbray spent around 15m in one window he got given his chance, not many teams outside of the parachute teams spend that and he used it finish 14th. I’d like to see JDT get that level of backing but unfortunately it doesn’t look likely.

Edited by Galgaterover10
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gav said:

That’s a budget not seen at this football club in years, I’d be astonished and angry if we spent that sort of money now.

We had the best opportunity in 12yrs to go up last season and they failed to back the manager, if they do it now I’d be absolutely fuming and convinced the plan is to remain in Championship.

Haha, I love this massive split.  Those that are convinced TM had money available and blew our promotion chances by stubbornly refusing to spend it..... and those on the other side of the fence who are convinced TM crawled over broken glass to beg for support, only for the overlords to banish him from their sight.

Sort of passive aggressive messages throughout the thread - Rev on one side, Gav on the other, trying to bait each other from a distance. 

Yeah look how well his mate is doing on the right of a back four. Absolutely absurd that he can't do the same on the left. He's far too good for league one and someone is going to get a bargain. Hopefully something can happen today and give the fans and players a lift after the other night. Even though anyone signed won't play tomorrow, it'd be a positive going into a tough game tomorrow. Let's hope for a bounce back 

Edited by Danny O.Brien
  • Like 1

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Venkys provided transfer money to solidify a promotion push, given our position.

They're not stupid, and I believe it's Mowbray's refusal to spend anything and subsequently tumble out of the playoff places that led to the silent treatment from them.

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

Venkys provided transfer money to solidify a promotion push, given our position.

They're not stupid, and I believe it's Mowbray's refusal to spend anything and subsequently tumble out of the playoff places that led to the silent treatment from them.

This theory that he had money but wouldn’t spend it, just doesn’t work for me. He must be the first football manager in history not to lap up all of his budget!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

How much did we spend in summer 2021 Mike? To solidify this promotion push? 

Edited by Gav

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Out of interest, do you think TM would have made the adequate signings to get us over the line?   I'm genuinely struggling to think of a signing that he made that really hit the ground running.  Brereton obviously didn't, Gallagher still hasn't hit the ground, never mind started to run.  Armstrong took a good while to set light as well.

Of his Jan signings, Giles was a disaster and played literally on the opposite of the field to where he was supposed to, Zeefuik was rubbish before his injury, and we saw 5mins of Markanday sadly. 

2 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Yeah look how well his mate is doing on the right of a back four. Absolutely absurd that he can't do the same on the left. He's far too good for league one and someone is going to get a bargain. Hopefully something can happen today and give the fans and players a lift after the other night. Even though anyone signed won't play tomorrow, it'd be a positive going into a tough game tomorrow. Let's hope for a bounce back 

Understand what your saying but brittain has played RB or RWB most his career and can do either back 4 or 5 

Styles played LWB In a back 5 the season Barnsley got play offs ..I don't think he's ever played an out and out LB in a back 4

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy612 said:

Out of interest, do you think TM would have made the adequate signings to get us over the line?   I'm genuinely struggling to think of a signing that he made that really hit the ground running.  Brereton obviously didn't, Gallagher still hasn't hit the ground, never mind started to run.  Armstrong took a good while to set light as well.

Of his Jan signings, Giles was a disaster and played literally on the opposite of the field to where he was supposed to, Zeefuik was rubbish before his injury, and we saw 5mins of Markanday sadly. 

Hedges barely featured, ditto James Brown. So 5 signings to propel us to promotion and the only thing I can remember any of them doing is Giles putting a good cross in for somebody to head home.  That would be grounds for sacking alone in my book.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, phili said:

He's not head of recruitment but DOF, so far he has recruited JDT, new head of recruitment, new medical team, new analysis team, sorted out updating all of the equipment at Brockall etc. 

He's done an awful lot, just sadly only signed 3 players so far.

Yes when you put it like that he's getting on with the job but we can't say he isn't responsible for recruitment then credit him with signing 3 players.

It's his dept whether there is a HoR in place or not.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

You make a good point Jimmy and to be honest I have no idea, but when a transfer fee was involved he usually bought well, his record is pretty good, you missed Dack of your list who was brilliant from day one, Kaminski too, Ayala when he plays, but we'll never know. 

If Venkys give JDT 8-10m to spend this season every Rovers fan should be up in arms, they're taking the piss out of us if they do that given where we found ourselves in January and plug was pulled.