BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

...or he's going to walk straight into Sunderland's first team and not ours. 

In what circumstances would a new signing not walk straight into our first team? We've only 2 CBs available, one of which is a 17 year old from the academy and the other is going to get injured very soon. If we can't offer a potential player first team football nobody can.

• Like 1

To heed my own advice from just a few minutes ago, I’m lead to believe the Sepp Van den Berg deal is completely done bar confirmation.

The snag is the current injury problems at Liverpool, which is always the downside of relying on loan recruitment at this stage.

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

In what circumstances would a new signing not walk straight into our first team? We've only 2 CBs available, one of which is a 17 year old from the academy and the other is going to get injured very soon. If we can't offer a potential player first team football nobody can.

If he's not as good as our current two CB's, and isn't as good as Wharton when he's fit again in a couple of weeks. 

I expect £10 mill to be spent (heard this is the healthy budget), which will include loan fees. If BBD is sold I suspect that half of that will also be reinvested.

The stumbling block is and will remain the wage budget, under no circumstances will the wage budget be increased. This certainly makes the pool smaller, given kids in the prem are on £20k plus PW.

Which has us shopping championship, League 1, Europe or Prem loans.

I believe the budget last season was the same budget, but we failed to spend it, with again wage demands either thwarting us, players chosing to go elsewhere, or in other cases targets not being deemed an improvement on what we had.

With what we've brought in so far including Morton loan, we've probably already spent £3-£4 million. Regardless how the payment arrangements have been agreed, this will not be deferred from this seasons budget.

In other words if we have agreed installments, thats just the payment mechanism and the budget has been decreased by the final figure on these deals 

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No, sorry.

So not Styles either,  by process of elimination ......  

I can't see it being Van Hecke, so only other player we have been linked to is Bowler.

We'll have to see what happens in next couple of weeks

9 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I expect £10 mill to be spent, which will include loan fees. If BBD is sold I suspect that half of that will also be reinvested.

The stumbling block is and will remain the wage budget, under no circumstances will the wage budget be increased. This certainly makes the pool smaller, given kids in the prem are on £20k plus PW.

I believe the budget last season was the same budget, but we failed to spend it, with again wage demands either thwarting us, players chosing to go elsewhere, or in other cases targets not being deemed an improvement on what we had.

With what we've brought in so far including Morton loan, we've probably already spent £3-£4 million. Regardless how the payment arrangements have been agreed, this will not be deferred from this seasons budget.

If true we were offering Davies 26k and Lenihen was offered 22k then surely a defender of decent calibre can be found for that sort of money.

The likes of Styles and Bowler won't be on fortunes at their current clubs either 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

If he's not as good as our current two CB's, and isn't as good as Wharton when he's fit again in a couple of weeks. 

But Wharton isn't fit now, and we've at least 3-4 games to go before he might be, so pointless discussing that.

If he's not as good as Phillips then we are looking in the wrong place.

And as I said, we know Ayala is going to be getting injured soon, so then there's no choice in the matter.

3 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I expect £10 mill to be spent (heard this is the healthy budget), which will include loan fees. If BBD is sold I suspect that half of that will also be reinvested.

The 2 Vans will use all of the remaining £6m so can see a request for additional funds for a LB and a striker being submitted. It seems everyone signed so far is on £10k or so. Getting quality in within the wage budget will be difficult.

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

But Wharton isn't fit now, and we've at least 3-4 games to go before he might be, so pointless discussing that.

If he's not as good as Phillips then we are looking in the wrong place.

And as I said, we know Ayala is going to be getting injured soon, so then there's no choice in the matter.

So we can't factor in Wharton because he's not fit, but we can factor in Ayala because at sometime in the future he might not be fit. 

Cake and eat it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phili said:

The 2 Vans will use all of the remaining £6m so can see a request for additional funds for a LB and a striker being submitted. It seems everyone signed so far is on £10k or so. Getting quality in within the wage budget will be difficult.

£10 million does not include the "special request" for the special player. 

This request was granted for the lad who went sheff utd, but the wages blew that deal straight away.

The request button is for a player though, and not a transfer budget top up!

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If true we were offering Davies 26k and Lenihen was offered 20k then surely a defender of decent calibre can be found for that sort of money.

The likes of Styles and Bowler won't be on fortunes at their current clubs either 

It's not what they are on now that matters, it's what other clubs can offer them who might also want to sign them. That's why we lost out on Anel by all accounts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

This request was granted for the lad who went sheff utd, but the wages blew that deal straight away.

So another £6m or £7m this window in transfer fees is budgeted for, and potentially another 'special' signing on top? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

Special request will be van Hecke and LB and Striker will have to be funded by the remaining budget

• Like 3

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

So we can't factor in Wharton because he's not fit, but we can factor in Ayala because at sometime in the future he might not be fit. 

Cake and eat it. 

Hold on a minute. The original point was that another club could offer a CB an immediate place in the team. So no we can't factor Wharton in, nor can we factor in Carter, or Barnes, because they aren't available to play.

The very same reason another club might want a player we are after - they get injuries which escalate the need and urgency.

It would be lunacy to persist with the current situation. Absolute lunacy. We have a young kid who has never played first team football before and has a lot to learn, and a class player but one with an appalling injury record in the latter days of his career.

To try and get through the next few weeks, let alone months, with these options is nothing other than negligence.

We have an immediate, urgent need for defensive reinforcements. Any prospective signing would know they are immediately in the team if they sign. I'm not aware of any other club with only 2 CBs to call upon.

• Moderation Lead

Can we calm down a bit please lads? It’s all escalated a bit quickly just now.

I’m sure if you ask posters that drop hints nicely, they’ll tell you what they know. If you don’t and unload both barrels, they’re hardly gonna fancy revealing all, are they?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

I’m sure if you ask posters that drop hints nicely, they’ll tell you what they know. If you don’t and unload both barrels, they’re hardly gonna fancy revealing all, are they?

They have been asked nicely and replied eith emojis.maybe we should have a rule that if you post hearsay stories you actually state a name rather than playing virtual guess who

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Bit patronising. 

If he's not willing to divulge then maybe don't say anything at all? 

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
1 minute ago, Kcaj93 said:

They have been asked nicely and replied eith emojis.maybe we should have a rule that if you post hearsay stories you actually state a name rather than playing virtual guess who

I’ve encouraged this before to be fair in a big way, so I do agree fundamentally.

Aggy posting doesn’t help anyone though, however frustrating you may find posts.

Report posts or DM mods if there are any issues. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It's not what they are on now that matters, it's what other clubs can offer them who might also want to sign them. That's why we lost out on Anel by all accounts. 

True but I don't see anyone offering Styles anything close to 20k per week ,Bowler maybe. 

And if there is a wage of at  20k+ per week for a centre half then someone decent could and should be found.

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

Bit patronising. 

If he's not willing to divulge then maybe don't say anything at all? 

Hardly.

As I’ve said previously, I’ve banged this drum many times, maybe he was about to reveal in the fullness of time? I can’t speak for that poster.

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Hold on a minute. The original point was that another club could offer a CB an immediate place in the team. So no we can't factor Wharton in, nor can we factor in Carter, or Barnes, because they aren't available to play.

The very same reason another club might want a player we are after - they get injuries which escalate the need and urgency.

It would be lunacy to persist with the current situation. Absolute lunacy. We have a young kid who has never played first team football before and has a lot to learn, and a class player but one with an appalling injury record in the latter days of his career.

To try and get through the next few weeks, let alone months, with these options is nothing other than negligence.

We have an immediate, urgent need for defensive reinforcements. Any prospective signing would know they are immediately in the team if they sign. I'm not aware of any other club with only 2 CBs to call upon.

No, your original argument was VDB wasn't being signed for a variety of reasons, none of which had anything to do with guaranteed playing time.  You specifically ruled that option out. I just put it back on the table. 

Ayala and Wharton may be better than SVDG. Carter & AP might be just as good. We don't know. So Rovers may have been honest and said you'll have to fight for your place. SVDB however may be better than any of Sunderland's CB's and Neil will be in a great position to know that. Maybe he's told SVDG that he's his first choice if he signs. 

I'm just amazed you can dismiss that as an option. 

• Like 1

The other thing to consider why things are slow,.

1. List of targets is 8 or 9 players, we need minimum of 4 additional, however fees being quoted is gets you two or three at a push, however the wages numbers dont stack.

2. The hope is as the window gets to the end, players push for moves and price/wages demands drop.

3. Until we know who we can get with the remaing budget or at a reduced fee, then pushing special request at every corner is not going to happen, its been tried once this summer but as previously mentioned he went sheff utd as wage demands were beyond our limits.

4. I don't think GB is in panic mode just yet, but the closer we get to the end of the window, the more sweat beads will appear if the market dont open up.

5. Then there is the question what if anything of the budget we hold onto until January.

I don't think we appreciate sometimes how difficult it is to juggle the balls when the wage/transfer budget dont split into anything more than a busted flush.

• Like 7