BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

if that was case we would Rovers still chase him and not move 

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

if that was case we would Rovers still chase him and not move on

Who said we are still chasing him, more like the lad from Liverpool if they can decide to let go on loan. 

9 minutes ago, unsall said:

Who said we are still chasing him, more like the lad from Liverpool if they can decide to let go on loan. 

People on here and seems to have the right sources. We want 2 centre backs from Reports and I believe Sepp Van Der Berg deal is done but just want Liverpool release him

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

People on here and seems to have the right sources. We want 2 centre backs from Reports and I believe Sepp Van Der Berg deal is done but just want Liverpool release him

Yeah think Der Berg will end up here on loan, and we will buy another, who, no idea.

36 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Fuck me, if we lose out on Van Hecke due to Phillips being guaranteed game time I will be shocked.

Phillips isn't the answer, certainly not ready for the championship.

why are you not mentioning and castigating vale,who is`nt even ready for non league football,instead of having a go at phillips who did`nt do much wrong

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Liverpool won't release him the deal isn't done.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The obsession there seems to be with putting value into individual players by way of giving them game time will derail us, no doubt about that.

I'm increasingly concerned that there is more interest in putting value into Phillips, Vale, Dolan and co. than there is strengthening the squad and bringing in players who might knock them down the pecking order.

That's exactly it and guess whose philosophy and views on football club strategy matches what you have wrote in your first paragraph?

People might think I have an agenda, but I don't. I have simply heard, read and seen enough to form the opinion that Broughton isn't the answer if we want promotion and quality players to turn up here. If you just want to increase player value and develop the kids, fine.

The owners have to decide what they want as it's one or the other for me. Promotion or development of youth?

I gave examples on here a few weeks back of how he was proud about the number of Academy players that made it into the Bodo first eleven, how he helped to increase player/squad value at Luton, how Rovers gave x amount of minutes to Academy graduates last season and how he feels this needs to continue this season.

He's already talked about not wanting to 'block pathways' when he went for Morton on loan.

I might be seeing it wrong, but so far, it looks to me like it's player development over quality and that's worrying. He's got two weeks to bring in what we need, as many believe that we are waiting until late on to benefit from reduced asking prices/wages and that the quality will come. We'll see, but I have huge reservations about the guy making the signings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Thing is. We must have shaved loads of the wage bill. The squad is chock full of kids.  Surely there must be room to stretch to a couple of 20k plus wages for a couple of quality players. 

The wage budget is a huge concern.  How do we get players to sign new contracts if there is a low ceiling? Nobody of any quality will hang around.

We shop in Barnsley, Crewe and Peterborough these days but hope for promotion!

Does not compute.

We ask why do we have such difficulty signing players every window? Why do they end up somewhere else?

The answer just has to be money--both in terms of wages and fees. 

I don't see anything changing with Venkys in charge.

The caching and planning can be top class but you have to have the quality to start with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

ENGLISH Premier League champions Manchester City have secured the signing of England-born Zimbabwe youngster David Chigwada from Blackburn Rovers.

The 14-year-old who can play as a winger or an attacking midfielder is widely regarded as one of the brightest prospects in England at the moment having already featured for the Three Lions at Under-15 level.

System stinks.

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Thing is. We must have shaved loads of the wage bill. The squad is chock full of kids.  Surely there must be room to stretch to a couple of 20k plus wages for a couple of quality players. 

The wage budget is a huge concern.  How do we get players to sign new contracts if there is a low ceiling? Nobody of any quality will hang around.

We have to be at 90% total wage budget by next season. Loans you can do higher wage budget because not here next season but by the looks of it we can do 6 players at £10k a week. Do £20k for 1 and you can only sign 5 etc.

Its a fine balancing act

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 47er said:

We shop in Barnsley, Crewe and Peterborough these days but hope for promotion!

Does not compute.

We ask why do we have such difficulty signing players every window? Why do they end up somewhere else?

The answer just has to be money--both in terms of wages and fees. 

I don't see anything changing with Venkys in charge.

The caching and planning can be top class but you have to have the quality to start with.

Seems we can afford the transfers ( offers been accepted for Dembele, the MK Dons lad who went to Celtic etc) just a very strict wage budget we won't stretch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperBrfc said:

That's exactly it and guess whose philosophy and views on football club strategy matches what you have wrote in your first paragraph?

People might think I have an agenda, but I don't. I have simply heard, read and seen enough to form the opinion that Broughton isn't the answer if we want promotion and quality players to turn up here. If you just want to increase player value and develop the kids, fine.

The owners have to decide what they want as it's one or the other for me. Promotion or development of youth?

I gave examples on here a few weeks back of how he was proud about the number of Academy players that made it into the Bodo first eleven, how he helped to increase player/squad value at Luton, how Rovers gave x amount of minutes to Academy graduates last season and how he feels this needs to continue this season.

He's already talked about not wanting to 'block pathways' when he went for Morton on loan.

I might be seeing it wrong, but so far, it looks to me like it's player development over quality and that's worrying. He's got two weeks to bring in what we need, as many believe that we are waiting until late on to benefit from reduced asking prices/wages and that the quality will come. We'll see, but I have huge reservations about the guy making the signings.

'Developing kids' IS our ticket out of this league. Our Academy is our big advantage on most other Championship clubs.

We can't compete with the parachute clubs financially - look at what Bournemouth did last year (they rolled the dice because their parachute payments were about to stop and bought promotion). Look at how we got blown out of the water for Anel Ahmedhodžić by Sheffield Utd who are also in the last year of their parachute payments.

Quite frankly, with the state of our attendances we're going to struggle to match the finances of the big city clubs soon too. 

I haven't seen enough either way out of Broughton to form an opinion - I love that he's hugely qualified (THE most qualified guy we've had for a long time) and that he talks a good game and comes across as professional. The proof of the pudding is in the eating though - I'll assess him once the transfer window closes. 4-5 shrewd signings and I'm confident JDT can have us competing for the Playoffs. If we only get 2-3 in then it's going to be a long season.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, phili said:

We have to be at 90% total wage budget by next season. Loans you can do higher wage budget because not here next season but by the looks of it we can do 6 players at £10k a week. Do £20k for 1 and you can only sign 5 etc.

Its a fine balancing act

Thanks for clarifying.  I'd be going for quality over quantity  every time.  We have the academy to pad out a squad.  Give me 3 quality players that will impact rather than 6 who might. 

• Like 3

• Backroom

With Forest buying basically anyone, surely there's scope for one of McKenna or Worrall to move on, possibly to us?

Another former Forest player getting no time at Newcastle (might be due to injuries), but impressed me in this league is Lascelles.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

With Forest buying basically anyone, surely there's scope for one of McKenna or Worrall to move on, possibly to us?

Another former Forest player getting no time at Newcastle (might be due to injuries), but impressed me in this league is Lascelles.

Lascelles would be a great signing for this league 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, phili said:

Seems we can afford the transfers ( offers been accepted for Dembele, the MK Dons lad who went to Celtic etc) just a very strict wage budget we won't stretch.

A cunning plan hatched so that Rovers are never likely to have to stump up the fee they offer.

It is so obvious a scam as to be insulting.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Forest have only signed 1 centre back this summer given they play 3 at the back and Worrall and McKenna are first choice would say no chance they are leaving

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phili said:

Its a fine balancing act

Almost as though the club should make some effort to increase the amount of income they generate. 

Oh well, I guess we could just shrug shoulders and put that idea in the too hard basket instead. 

• Like 5