BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

11 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

All on way big contracts. Denayer was on 40k a week at Lyon 😂. Hector reportedly 25/30k a lot of these guys are ouf of the budget Rovers want to offer move on.

None of them are earning anything right now.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ken Furphy signed players like there was no tomorrow back when we needed a new team in the early 1970’s. Didn’t he sign Bobby Bell for £20k and sell him 3 weeks later for £55k ?

Wasn't Bell part of the deal which took Allan Hunter to Ipswich - Hunter was superb and one of Quig's best ever signings (think we got him from Oldham for a song).  You are right, we did sell him to Crystal Palace after he'd played just either 1 or 2 games - incredible!

Edited by Mercer

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

None of them are earning anything right now.

Lyon support myself Denayer mentioned he wanted to go to a serie a team to experience it Italy rule him out, as fans we are not playing football manager. Denayer is more likely to more to qatar or Saudi for the dollars than come to us 

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Wasn't Bell part of the deal which took Allan Hunter to Ipswich - Hunter was superb and one of Quig's best ever signings (think we got him from Oldham for a song).  You are right, we did sell him to Crystal Palace after he'd played just either 1 or 2 games - incredible!

Yes he came as a make weight in the Hunter deal. Valued at £20k - 2 games later he was gone to Palace  for £55k. Played 30 games for Palace and then drifted out of the game.

Hunter was a class act. We’re jumping up and down about Van Hecke but Hunter was twice the player.

Ken Knighton came at the same time. Now he was a warrior.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Folk need to slow down, before a ball was kicked most thought first 7 games before deadline was a little tricky, and we need to get everyone in well before the deadline or we might be adrift, well 5 games in 9 points, not too shabby and Stoke and Blackpool to come, should be a few more points there as well regardless of any new bodies coming in early.Pretty confident we will get 3/4 in either this week or next and hopefully a bit of quality.

Remember quite a few saying why can’t we be like ‘Boro getting signings in early, well after 5 games zero wins, goodness knows if we hadn’t won so far, this forum would be in meltdown.

Still confident in the new set up, but I don’t expect miracles, takes time, but we do need some quality signings…

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

And Billy Wilson at left back. He didn’t stand any nonsense either.

Billy was a terrific popular servant for both Rovers and Pompey.  Finished up having a pub down there.  Sadly, I think he passed away about 4 or 5 years ago in his early 70's.

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes he came as a make weight in the Hunter deal. Valued at £20k - 2 games later he was gone to Palace  for £55k. Played 30 games for Palace and then drifted out of the game.

Hunter was a class act. We’re jumping up and down about Van Hecke but Hunter was twice the player.

Ken Knighton came at the same time. Now he was a warrior.

is this the allan hunter who played for that brilliant ipswich side,if it is i remember as a kid,he was a monstrous centre back ,he`d have sorted that creep mcburnie out in the first five minutes

• Like 1

3 minimum needed this week, four before the end of the window. I don’t think we need two centre backs, I would be happy going into the season with Ayala, Carter, Wharton and Phillips if the intention is to play a back 4. 

I don’t rate Pickering and rate Edun even less at left back / left wing back. I’m concerning Brittain doesn’t have suitable back up, JRC can’t play right back or right wing back either. 

Centre Midfield we need another enforcer. If Travis gets injured we will have the smallest and weakest central midfield in the league. 

We either need a striker or a winger, depending where he’s playing Gallagher. I can see Gally scoring if he’s playing as a nine, but that means another winger. 

So I’d like to see…

Starting Left Back 

Back up right back 

Central Midfielder (is that guy still at Barnsley?)

Winger

With a statement left forward lined up for when Ben goes. I don’t think he plays for Rovers again. 

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Hunter and Ken Knighton joined Rovers that summer IIRC - two excellent signings and hard as nails. What a difference they'd make to our current team 

Knighton was a midfield dynamo - terrific tackler with one hell of a shot.  A steal from PNE at circa £50,000.

Quig had an eye for a player and one wonders what would have happened had Jimmy Kerr not done his knee which finished him shortly after we signed him from Bury for circa £60,000.  That lad was a diamond and potentially better than Colin Bell who Bury sold to City 2 or 3 years before we got Kerr. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

is this the allan hunter who played for that brilliant ipswich side,if it is i remember as a kid,he was a monstrous centre back ,he`d have sorted that creep mcburnie out in the first five minutes

Yep

6 minutes ago, J*B said:

With a statement left forward lined up for when Ben goes. I don’t think he plays for Rovers again. 

I spoke to someone with a foot in the Rovers camp at Sheff Utd yesterday, when I mentioned JDT has £10m to spend he burst out laughing, he also said Brereton isn't going anywhere unless someone bids £20m in this window.

Make of that what you will. 

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

I spoke to someone with a foot in the Rovers camp at Sheff Utd yesterday, when I mentioned JDT has £10m to spend he burst out laughing, he also said Brereton isn't going anywhere unless someone bids £20m in this window.

Make of that what you will. 

Where did the 10M come from? I hope that you telling me doesn’t mean you think when I said I can see us spending 10M i was doing some ITK nonsense?  I think we’ll end up getting 20M including add ons, maybe 13-15M up front. 

17 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Phew, what a relief, that's him staying then!

In all seriousness though, what makes you think that?

I just can’t see him staying. Nice have already bid, there’s rumoured to be plenty of teams interested, it’s getting close to the deadline. I reckon he’s either gone or left out pending a transfer by next week. Just my thoughts. I actually think - subject to being able to spend money - it’s for the best. 

40 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Knighton was a midfield dynamo - terrific tackler with one hell of a shot.  A steal from PNE at circa £50,000.

Quig had an eye for a player and one wonders what would have happened had Jimmy Kerr not done his knee which finished him shortly after we signed him from Bury for circa £60,000.  That lad was a diamond and potentially better than Colin Bell who Bury sold to City 2 or 3 years before we got Kerr. 

Yeah Kerr was a real player. Another David Dunn.  We were all set to sign Alec Lindsay but Liverpool pipped us at the last minute. I watched Bury a lot then, a mate was in and out of their team at the time, and Lindsay was the sort of player you could build a team around. The new Bobby Moore. He was really a centre back but Liverpool insisted he played at left back. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah Kerr was a real player. Another David Dunn.  We were all set to sign Alec Lindsay but Liverpool pipped us at the last minute. I watch Bury a lot then, a mate was in and out of their team at the time, and Lindsay was the sort of player you could build a team around. The new Bobby Moore. He was really a centre back but Liverpool insisted he played at left back. 

Colin Bell, Bobby Kerr, Alec Lindsay.....top class players all discovered by "little" Bury. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bazza said:

Billy Whizz. My favourite player of that time. 

I remember Billy Wilson's debut as a young lad (him and me). Mike England passed to him from the kickoff to settle his nerves and he did a complete miskick. He got better after that, became a solid pro and a good player for Rovers

• Like 2

I cannot understand why we didn't offer another contract to Jacob Davenport, even for 12 months. Whenever he played I thought he was reasonable and always gave his all for the cause. 

• Like 8

Agree on Davenport - thought he was very tidy and shows bit of talent in the fleeting appearances he had.

Would have been a huge improvement on Buckley in the last 2 games.

If he's still on a free, might be worth seeing if he fancies coming back...?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Imagine real football men such as Shankly or Cloughie using wyscout 😁

Still living in the past Jim. Football has move on massive in terns of scouting Opportunities and bring in players 

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

We need to bring in at least 4 next week - the window closes the week after!

Mercer, I am fully aware of when the transfer window. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Davenport was better than Szmodics. And we wouldn't have wasted £2m

Play in different positions so not a right comparison 

3 minutes ago, bazza said:

I cannot understand why we didn't offer another contract to Jacob Davenport, even for 12 months. Whenever he played I thought he was reasonable and always gave his all for the cause. 

At this moment in time it looks like a bad decision. He could cover Travis for 5-6 games this season. And we could put our efforts into improving other areas.

• Like 1