BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

10 hours ago, J*B said:

RE why I’m not sure on another central defender, we already have four to keep happy and give game time.

There’s dangers - Ayala gets injured, Carter is unproven at this level, Phillips is a kid… but if you’re signing a fifth that means when all are fit, you’ve got three centre backs not playing.

I think we’re invested in Carter now, Pompy loved him in League One, so for me he’s earnt his right to be behind Ayala and Wharton. If we don’t tell Phillips he’s around the first team squad then he may as well sign for Spurs, that’s our trump card. 

So who do we bring in? Sepp, who’s clearly a good player, but we can’t guarantee him any games and signing him would stop the progress of our own two youngsters, Carter and Phillips. 

Yes, if we can somehow sign JVH - or similar - I think we make an allowance for that as he would instantly become our first choice Centre back. 

I guess what I’m saying is we’re in a tricky position at centre half and whilst I’m not against signing a new one, for me it’s only worth signing either 1) a stand out, first choice centre back or 2) a Loanee happy to play occasionally and be behind Carter at least and Phillips potentially as well. 

There seems to be too much focus on development and not enough on actually getting results now for me, the sole, primary focus is not just development. You have to find a balance but going with what we got would be too far

Phillips has really struggled in these last 2 games and we have not been competitive with such fragility, not to mention that he seemingly cannot physically cope with back to back games. 

Van Den Berg isn't the ideal choice in that he is a loanee but he has come off the back of a very impressive 18 months playing well for Preston. 

You need 4 centre backs of whom you can have some reasonable confidence can play the position effectively because it isn't as we have seen this week a position where you can make do. 

There is also the potential of playing 3 centre backs, added to the fact that both Van Den Berg and Carter can play at right back ahead of Rankin Costello who isn't good enough, plus with only being able to name 7 subs yet you can bring on 5, a versatile defensive option within the squad is really important.

The likelihood of the main 4 all being fit all season especially as one is Ayala is minimal so the focus on keeping players happy is lessened.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Conspiracy theory time. Anyone reckon Dack's card is marked because they want his wages off the books?

He must be top earner with Ayala by some distance. They can't get rid of Ayala and he's out of contract soon anyway so not too much to worry about there. Can't imagine, given the drive to cut wages, that Dack's are sitting particularly well with those running the show.

no

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Conspiracy theory time. Anyone reckon Dack's card is marked because they want his wages off the books?

He must be top earner with Ayala by some distance. They can't get rid of Ayala and he's out of contract soon anyway so not too much to worry about there. Can't imagine, given the drive to cut wages, that Dack's are sitting particularly well with those running the show.

AskGregg said when we signed Szmodics he was signed for his athleticism. He also referenced his performances as a No10 when he was with P'boro. 

I think it's a football decision, which in many ways is more worrying. 

11 minutes ago, 47er said:

Won't get any fee for Dack till he can prove his fitness.

Doesn't stop him asking to leave though if he's pissed off and it wouldn't be the first time these tactics have been used by a club wanting rid.

Giving them the benefit of doubt i'm inclined to think JDT is trying to protect him somewhat so he can step in when BBD is sold this window.

Either way summat is amiss here.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

He got rave reviews at Cardiff and my Boro-supporting mate says he'sthe best left back they've had in years and are hoping they sign him. Giles was messed around by Mowbray, in fairness. The lad's a good player and an upgrade on our players in that position 

Oh, absolutely - looks a very decent player and I was excited when we brought him in.

But he was pretty poor in whatever position he played for us.

Seems to be a view that he was always played out of position at Rovers, which really wasn’t the case. He was out of position in some games - right forward was a bizarre move - but he was undoubtedly poor when he was at left back for us.

Dack has spent the last 2 seasons out with a couple of major injuries.

He might not like the idea, but we have to manage him back to fitness, then ease him back into the team.

He’s simply not there yet. If he doesn’t throw his toys out of the pram - and I’m sure he won’t as he seems a good lad - he will get his chance this season.

Too many hats of the tin foil variety being worn.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

Too many hats of the tin foil variety being worn.

If you accept that 'athleticism' and the ability to close down 'intensely' for 90 mins is a pre-requisite for the JDT way, then it's not much of a stretch to suggest that Dack may not fit in to his plans. Just a theory of the non-conspiratorial variety. 

• Like 1

He had that slight setback in pre season but tomorrow will likely be his second start and hopefully as a pre cursor to a start at the weekend.

So far, our attacking this season has been lacking spark and creativity and talk of the fluidity and high intensity has been nowhere to be seen, with our wins very much based on structure and organisation. So the idea that he doesnt fit in doesnt really apply.

Even if it means that he can only last 60/65 minutes in his first league start, the alternative is him becoming rustier still by only playing cameos.

• Like 2

It's been 21 days since our last signing. We need at least 5 players, and the window closes in 10 days.

Absolutely disastrous. I'd be surprised if we managed to even get 2 more in at this rate... JDT must be getting seriously miffed.

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TheRevAshton said:

It's been 21 days since our last signing. We need at least 5 players, and the window closes in 10 days.

Absolutely disastrous this. Will be surprised if we can get 2 more in with it seems to be going... JDT must be getting seriously miffed.

This is the bit that I'm most worried about. We had such a palpable increase in enthusiasm and energy with JDT's appointment. It is still there with every interview he gives, and every spot-on observation he makes. But he has not yet been backed at all in the transfer market and this is having effect, with the reduced squad size already exposed. That enthusiasm, hope, optimism, whatever you'd call it, is only going to survive so long before it fizzles out. The abject failure of the club so far this Summer in bringing in players to back up the coach's ideas and ambition, will cost us - and I can imagine JDT walking away from this in due course, as his energy burns out.

With him would go a lot of supporters' positivity, which should have been (and still might be) built upon.

I await any sign of the "healthy budget", but still believe this to be a statement with no real meaning behind it, whatsoever.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
10 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

When does 'perhaps panic a bit' change to 'run for the hills'?

TBC. Can’t be far off though, unless Mr Broughton pulls three players out of his hat later today!

2 hours ago, J*B said:

When he wants to leave is irrelevant. If he isn’t signing a new deal — which is his choice and one we’re absolutely fucking stupid to have allowed to get to this point — then he MUST be sold. 

The player was offered a new contract in accordance with his contract extension in Rovers favour, they were obliged to do this. There is little the club can do IF the player doesn't want to sign the deal in front of him or indeed engage with the club for a new deal. Even if the club offer a fortune and he still doesn't want to engage, the cards fall in the hand of the player and nothing can be done about it!

12 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

When does 'perhaps panic a bit' change to 'run for the hills'?

Remain calm and patience at all time. 

Panicking get you nowhere. 

It's going to very busy in the next 10 days with players coming in and players leaving. Stay calm and patience guys. 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

The player was offered a new contract in accordance with his contract extension in Rovers favour, they were obliged to do this. There is little the club can do IF the player doesn't want to sign the deal in front of him or indeed engage with the club for a new deal. Even if the club offer a fortune and he still doesn't want to engage, the cards fall in the hand of the player and nothing can be done about it!

There’s plenty they can do - they can either offer him the contract earlier or sell him before we’re in a position where he can sign for a foreign club for free in circa 4 months.