BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

16 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

On another note, SKY have been very very naughty and are reporting something which is 9 months old regarding Brereton.

He has not asked to leave the club, yes he does not want to entertain a new deal, but that has been the stance since November last year.

This has created mass hysteria and if anything done some irreparable damage to the players reputation 

Must have resurfaced for a reason though.

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

Last summer Armstrong downed tools refused to sign another deal and made it clear he wanted off, and off now. The club in the end negotiated the best deal we could get.

However Brereton, has done the opposite, he is trying his best and although doesnt want a new deal, and in all honesty we couldn't get near to paying him what these other clubs could pay, he is happy to let it play out one way or the other. I.e we get the money this window, or he can leave as a free agent.

I see the above as very fair, and the buck really in rovers hands. 

Problem is, that if he is at a level that will get action from Premier League clubs we simply won't be able to make an offer that matches what he will be expecting from the Premier League.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

'He probably'? You've no actual reason to think it then, just the notion you present here. If he waits until summer, there's no guarantee his stock won't have dropped, interested clubs moved to other targets or a major injury be suffered. He could as easily end up with a lot less from his wage offer. He will also have just spent a year earning the relative pittance we will be paying him compared to what any Prem side would pay him right now.

At the risk of sounding like Rich Sharpe - I "understand" he isn't actively pressing for a move and is content to see his contract out.

We shouldn't be actively trying to force him out of the door either imo given how desperate our other options are.

If that miraculously changed and we somehow got two other decent striking options in quickly whilst he was still here then I might change my mind and be of the view we should then sell him for what we can get.

That doesn't seem likely to happen though.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Last summer Armstrong downed tools refused to sign another deal and made it clear he wanted off, and off now. The club in the end negotiated the best deal we could get.

However Brereton, has done the opposite, he is trying his best and although doesnt want a new deal, and in all honesty we couldn't get near to paying him what these other clubs could pay, he is happy to let it play out one way or the other. I.e we get the money this window, or he can leave as a free agent.

I see the above as very fair, and the buck really in rovers hands. 

I'm guessing Rovers have put it out there that they will re-enter talks with BBD over a new contract after the window shuts. A cynic might say this is a ruse to flush out interested buyers as Rovers want to sell this summer. This 'plan', however, has been scuppered by BBD's side as they have gone straight to SKY and told them he's not going to enter into talks after the window shuts.

The mental gymnastics on show to remove Venkys of blame and responsibility regarding a lack of transfers is crazy. Fictional unspent budgets allow them to seem like they have done their bit I guess.

As is the common dismissive nature many have towards the lack of speed regarding transfers. You can't compare to last season @Finlay McKenna because we hadn't started the summer quite as bare as we are now and we didn't have a couple of injuries in a position whereby we have already lost 2 players. In the last 2 games, we have had to flog a 17 year old kid who is miles away from being ready so we are not far from forfeiting games without being competitive. You can't afford to just dismiss 6 points like we essentially have.

That being said, it is at times not genuine dismissiveness when some of those same people harass journalists for any gossip!

Van Den Berg is on the bench tonight so no deal seems imminent.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Yes, so he doesn't choose the shortlist. 

And he doesn't say what you've just said in the interview you linked. Where does he say it?

No he doesn't choose the shortlist but he does decide whether a player join or not from what JDT and GB said in their interviews when they joined and what Waggott told me how the structure would work. 

32 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

The bit I don't like is JDT don't have a say on who we sign. If he is not accountable for signings, then how can he be accountable for results.

I know this happens in Europe, but all our eggs are in GB who is unproven at providing first team players for a championship club.

Well Glen, this is very different to what JDT said when he done his first interviews that he would have final say on whether a player join or not. GB say the say that the Head coach would have final say on who comes in. 

JDT's interview from when he was unveiled as Rovers head coach and what his involvement is in recruiting new players(6 mins and 20 seconds in) BBC Radio Lancashire - Sport, Blackburn Rovers head coach Jon Dahl Tomasson

GB has a big job bringing in players but he has to do and fairly quick now. 10 days to go, we need at 4 maybe 5 if BBD leaves. Others want more what is their opinion. 

32 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Just to clear up the £10 million budget, I got this from the club at board level.

thanks Glen for clearing that up

31 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

No, it isn’t. But it is a bit frustrating that JDT is asking the press to ask Greg, but Greg is missing in action and not taking questions. This setup isn’t something we’ve had before, it’s typically been the manager being in charge of all of this transfer stuff. Not outsourcing it to someone else…

Maybe the press should stop asking JDT questions about Transfers. Gregg Broughton shouldn't be answering any questions in the transfer windows and for the media need to understand this new structure. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

No he doesn't choose the shortlist but he does decide whether a player join or not from what JDT and GB said in their interviews when they joined and what Waggott told me how the structure would work. 

Well Glen, this is very different to what JDT said when he done his first interviews that he would have final say on whether a player join or not. GB say the say that the Head coach would have final say on who comes in. 

JDT's interview from when he was unveiled as Rovers head coach and what his involvement is in recruiting new players(6 mins and 20 seconds in) BBC Radio Lancashire - Sport, Blackburn Rovers head coach Jon Dahl Tomasson

GB has a big job bringing in players but he has to do and fairly quick now. 10 days to go, we need at 4 maybe 5 if BBD leaves. Others want more what is their opinion. 

thanks Glen for clearing that up

Maybe the press should stop asking JDT questions about Transfers. Gregg Broughton shouldn't be answering any questions in the transfer windows and for the media need to understand this new structure. 

Why do you regularly ask journalists questions about transfers if seemingly what people say is so irrelevant?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

plenty of smiles and laughs in the interview. 

Based on that, he will have no qualms about walking. He didn't at Malmo and he tasted real success there. "The club has to provide that" I.e signings. If Broughton screws this up, as I expect he might, he's gone, IMO. JDT doesn't need to put up with this crap.

Good questions from Andy Bayes there I thought. Direct and to the point, fair play to him for that. Maybe JDT didn't want to go into too much detail, but him saying "the club has to provide that" when he was specifically asked how it works between him and Gregg isn't encouraging to hear.

In my opinion, we can't have somebody like Broughton, who has no experience in this role and no eye for a player, provide players for JDT to pick from. Szmodics alone should be enough of a signal for JDT to tell him to shove it.

Another crap appointment (GB) from owners who seem to be a magnet for them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers news blackout in the age of social media and citizens journalism

Should work well

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Van Den Berg is on the bench tonight so no deal seems imminent.

Liverpool defensive injuries have got better. Gomez is now injury free. Hopefully that one we can get done. Maybe we should move on but we don't know the in's and out's of what is going on behind the scenes regarding transfers

The brereton saga is a particularly tough one for us. We bought him with the view of developing him on to a £200million player, it took time, but he’s there now, had an unbelievable season last season where he was literally magic, and it could (and should) have led us to promotion if it weren’t for Mowbray’s team selections and refusal to sign a back up. Now we’re forced to sell really.

Just to echo other posters though, absolutely no truth in Brereton pushing a move this window. None whatsoever. Enjoying his football and got his head down. 

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why do you regularly ask journalists questions about transfers if seemingly what people say is so irrelevant?

Some polite advice, If you don't like then don't read it and move on. No one is forcing you to read it. Its exactly what you say when I don't want to read about other club fans opinions on players. Maybe take your own advice here. I will ask questions to certain journalists when I want just like others will

48 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Based on that, he will have no qualms about walking. He didn't at Malmo and he tasted real success there. "The club has to provide that" I.e signings. If Broughton screws this up, as I expect he might, he's gone, IMO. JDT doesn't need to put up with this crap.

Good questions from Andy Bayes there I thought. Direct and to the point, fair play to him for that. Maybe JDT didn't want to go into too much detail, but him saying "the club has to provide that" when he was specifically asked how it works between him and Gregg isn't encouraging to hear.

In my opinion, we can't have somebody like Broughton, who has no experience in this role and no eye for a player, provide players for JDT to pick from. Szmodics alone should be enough of a signal for JDT to tell him to shove it.

Another crap appointment (GB) from owners who seem to be a magnet for them.

Look at the link I just provide about the transfers work and what JDT involvement at the club. 

It is GB to sort of the transfers not JDT. 

JDT has to agree to every transfer. The Link I provide in a reply to Glen Mullan said that

47 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers news blackout in the age of social media and citizens journalism

Should work well

Well you live in dark ages away going on the 70's and far from the modern days

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Are the Directors of Football/ Sporting Directors at other clubs doing interviews ?

No idea but the notion that no one at the club should talk to the media doesn't strike me as a good way of communicating with fans

Chaddy also said press should stop asking the head coach or manager awkward questions. Isn't that the media's job?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Some polite advice, If you don't like then don't read it and more on. No one is forcing you to read it. I will ask questions to certain journalists when I want just like others will

Look at the link I just provide about the transfers work and what JDT involvement at the club. 

It is GB to sort of the transfers not JDT. 

JDT has to agree to every transfer. The Link I provide in a reply to Glen Mullan said that

Well you live in dark ages away going on the 70's and far from the modern days

JDT has just said in that interview tonight, the club provides the players . He was probed very well by Bayes and left zero doubt, that he does not get involved in providing targets or negotiating them. Its GB's role, he just picks the team

Just now, glen9mullan said:

JDT has just said in that interview tonight, the club provides the players . He was probed very well by Bayes and left zero doubt, that he does not get involved in providing targets or negotiating them. Its GB's role, he just picks the team

I find that astonishing to be honest. No wonder Tomasson didn't get the Hibs job

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Out of interest is this opinion or what you’ve been told? 

Both …. Not good … 

btw All DOF give regular updates on what the state of play is … JDT also knows what’s happening but has decided to pass the buck by saying Ask Greg …. 

• Like 3

Think there's been a harsh stance on Broughton from some. We hadn't appointed a manager until clubs were back in pre season training. By the time the manager had had a look at the squad, most teams were well underway in their transfer activity. On the transfer front it was a standing start very late on in the summer at a club where we've got a restrictive wage structure and hurdle after hurdle to sign players at the best of times. It's no wonder we've not bought in all the bodies we need just yet. 

We've kept our cards close to our chest this summer and nothing has come from the club regarding incoming until its pretty much a done deal. Right now we could have 5 signings on the cusp we could have 0 so I'll wait and see what happens. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

The brereton saga is a particularly tough one for us. We bought him with the view of developing him on to a £200million player, it took time, but he’s there now

I don't think he's quite that good yet 😄

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I find that astonishing to be honest. No wonder Tomasson didn't get the Hibs job

How it works at Brentford too to be fair.