BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Well fucking hallelujah. I wouldn't be against made up links at this stage, today has been a wretched read 🤣

I know... I nearly fell of my seat when I saw it on my news feed.  Seems very out of the blue, cant remember us linked with him.  must say whilst I've heard of him I couldn't provide much info on whether or not he is any good.

5 hours ago, TheRevAshton said:

Apparently Everton have offered just £12m for BBD, the cheeky little devils.

Think this is relatively old news, a week or so old. Might have been some add ons incorporated but nevertheless might buy one leg.

Hopefully the owners treat that bid with the contempt it deserves. The worry is that they come in nearer the deadline with a more realistic offer. Hopefully no-one does.

If Broughton had have done his job and got a couple of decent striking options in, then maybe we'd have been in a position to entertain a (realistic) bid for BBD. As things stand surely we can't afford to lose him at this stage.

48 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Financial scenario is high debt, low turnover and difficult margins with FFP constraints (see last summers registration embargo and ultimately having to sell training ground). Secondly -  competition for players capable of being top “champ” level is fierce, and there’s a list of teams who can offer more based on these financial issues.

Anel for example. People can say “well go get someone else”, but it has to be the right one. As we’ve seen with Ayala - risk, big wage, and has been injured far too often to justify. It’s not easy.

Another reason for the difficulty is Reputationally we’re not a favourite for promotion or play offs, despite position early season or last year (your momentum analogy was embarrassing imo) and thus players of that ilk and ability, would probably choose one of those (not forgetting wage packet) as it’s a quicker and more likely route to 50k a week.

Yes, we’d have no problem plucking players from lower champ and league one - but for finding players who will truly make the difference at this level, isn’t easy.

Importantly - I must add; The owners could have a far far better system in place, in fact they even acknowledged that by changing it up this summer. It’s important to say this as I’m often painted as someone who doesn’t have any complaints. That’s absolutely not true.

In terms of this new setup though? Surely one window? Or maybe even 1 season is time to see what transpires?

Rather than jump for the “broughton is a dud” ( @SuperBrfc) or one of your half baked conspiracies?

How could you be so cruel!? 😂

Great post.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Links to be in both but the other will just be links for a quick catch up 

I know nothing of Green Egg’s and Hyam but I think it will happen 

Just because it’s come out of nowhere, and similar to Modok and Little Britain it’s what looks like a decent offer for the selling club 

• Like 1

Considering Coventry have been on a sharp rise at the top end of the table for the last year, he has played over 40 games in the last two years, this looks a smart signing. 

im going to guess his wages will be lower than what we offered Lenihan. However I’m going to agree with Jim, surely it would have been cheaper to keep Lenihan?

10 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Never heard of the guy. Certainly  Sounds no better than Lennihan after a quick read. £2.5 mil seems an awful lot. 

Possibly isn't a significant upgrade on Lenihan. Perhaps we should have thought about that before allowing him to leave.

Things are however now so desperate perhaps we should be grateful for any substantial link to anyone. This O 'Rourke chap has a pretty ropey record on anything Rovers related recently though.

Sadly, if there is any truth on this, it would tend to indicate we've finally given up the ghost on landing JPVH after chasing him all summer.

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

This is it. Why let Lenihan leave for free because of "wages" and then pay £2.5m for a replacement who might be no better? It doesn't make sense

We offered Lenihan £24k per week apparently.

Boro offered him £2m more than Rovers over the 4 year period (so £10k per week more) according to Waggott.

We would therefore have had to smash our wage ceiling to re-sign him. 

And then he still might have wanted to go to Boro as on paper they have more chance of going up, and have a proven manager at this level. 

So we didn't really 'let' him leave. He was out of contract. . He wanted to go.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Considering Coventry have been on a sharp rise at the top end of the table for the last year, he has played over 40 games in the last two years, this looks a smart signing. 

im going to guess his wages will be lower than what we offered Lenihan. However I’m going to agree with Jim, surely it would have been cheaper to keep Lenihan?

Smart business for me, on the youngish side for a CB (26) and has hardly missed a game for Coventry over the last two seasons. 

Small twitter thread on the type of player he is -

• Like 2

Few on the Coventry forums saying they've heard the same.

Bad news is the article is by Pete o'Rourke who seems extremely accurate with all transfers except those relating to us.

6 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Few on the Coventry forums saying they've heard the same.

Bad news is the article is by Pete o'Rourke who seems extremely accurate with all transfers except those relating to us.

Most of then don't seem that bothered about losing him and that if it was a choice between losing him or 4 other "star" players it's no contest.

Some saying they heard we've had a bid of around £2.5 to £3m in for him for 2-3 weeks. So maybe it's not a particularly new development.

Edited by RevidgeBlue