BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

I don't think id put caulker quite in the same category as Wes brown and Rodwell, those two where both ready for the knackered yard before even joining us, but from the very brief search i did of caulker it seems his issues or more with his mental state than physical, Potential with a good manager on his side he could be a very solid addition (or not 😅😅

I thought i read earlier that he'd only just signed a contract with a turkish club this month though🤷‍♂️

I still very much hope he's not our main defensive target though!! 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

Caulker's a good signing by all accounts. Whose accounts they are and whether they've been verified by a qualified and independent witness isn't clear. Perhaps best to avoid judgments made "by all accounts". They can't be trusted

Let's hope the lad proves a good signing but you can't help but feel he's been brought in when all the other options were exhausted

• Like 2

Brittain, Szmodics, Morton, Kaulker, Hyam…Allthough I’m happy that bodies are coming in, only probably the first & the last are proven at this level…it’s a pretty poor Window as a whole.

Hopefully our last signing will be a good one. Hopefully boosts the moral on here anyway…I think we’re done for defenders if our targets come in, possibly need a LB but need some quality up top.

Edited by BankEnd Rover

I'll admit I didn't know much about Hyam but the more I read about him (mostly from Coventry fans) the more I think he could be a very shrewd signing.  Someone who maybe doesn't always grab the headlines but is already a solid defender with still a bit of time to develop even further (a bit like Scott Wharton).

I'll sit on the fence re Caulker. Good to have another experienced CB in the squad and hopefully we can use the money we are saving to get some real quality further up the pitch!

3 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Brittain, Szmodics, Morton, Kaulker, Hyam…Allthough I’m happy that bodies are coming in and only probably the first & the last are proven at this level…it’s a pretty poor Window as a whole.

Hopefully our last signing will be a good one. Hopefully boosts the moral on here anyway…I think we’re done for defenders if our targets come in, possibly need a LB but need some quality up top.

Woefully short at LB, CM our wide and up front.  

4  more players needed even if BBD stays.  

• Like 1

I'm actually pleased about the Caulker signing in isolation. The one thing I've been calling for is for us to bring in some experience. I've never been comfortable with the thought of us having to rely on young centre backs.

Caulker has bags of experience and has played to a decent level in this country before. Could be a shrewd move, as he will be relatively cheap. It has a Ryan Nelsen feel about it to me, only Caulker is more well known than Nelsen was when he arrived.

If it is the case that they have settled for Caulker as the main signing, because he's cheap, especially after being linked with quality defenders who would cost a bit, then that's a different matter altogether. I can't help but feel that might be the case here. Caulker can't be our main defensive signing, but as an experienced option, I'm fine with it.

Personally, I think SVB on loan might well be the last defender we bring in. Can't see them spending £2.5m on Hyam.

8 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

True.  Cheaper the better👍

Can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but tbh I haven't been overly enamoured with the idea of loaning in a young centre back and being obliged to play him when we've got 3/4 of our own coming through. Everyone can see we're crying out for some experience back there, and I wouldn't be surprised if the last couple of games has brought that home to the Rovers hierarchy. Perhaps dropped our interest in JPVH and gone for 26 year old Hyam for similar reasons too.

If we can get a couple of years at least out of him, he's happy to play backup, and it saves us money then yeah, it might be better than another Liverpool loan.

Where has the suggestion of a total of three more signings come from? (Attributed to JDT, but I must have missed it).

I can't believe that anyway, as Chaddy seemed very confident there would be 5 or 6 more in, didn't he??

We sign just three players from now until the deadline and I'll be ready to spend the season anxiously watching the gap between Rovers and the relegation zone. Whilst there is a gap...

It's a far cry from the optimism I felt when JDT and Broughton came in. Hugely disappointing.

Not sure what to make of the Caulker rumours. Firstly I am unconvinced by the reliability of the rumour. On the player, has been in Turkey so none of us know how he has been doing, he was a good defender about 10 years ago but that is a long time ago and he has had demons and a chequered career since then. 

I am definitely underwhelmed by the fact that we are only signing 3 players, nowhere near enough. At least one has to be a central striker as we desperately need one. If Brereton goes as expected as we cant let an 8 figure fee vanish, then so hard to envisage us being anything but a lot weaker than last season when we failed to make the top 6.

@Finlay McKenna the problem is quality. If Edun has to play left back for a spell he isnt good enough. Garrett has not kicked a ball in a league game, nor has Wharton. Not many goals or assists amongst those wingers either, plus our sub right back isnt up to standard either.

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Thank you, I missed that.

So it is three ("Hopefully").

Even if Brereton is sold in the end (which seems likely now)? And two of those three seem to be uninspiring central defenders?

Yeah, it's not good, at all, is it? We needed a lot more and a lot better.

• Like 6

Good quiz answer is Steven Caulker "what players have one cap and one goal for England" - who can name the others? 

On the face of it he looks a decent shout. Obviously talented, should be hungry to prove himself, hopefully sorted his head out. One of those which has a chance to turn into a really good signing. Not comparing in terms of ability, but in situation Tugay and Friedel were similar. Around 30 but never really established themselves, wanted a chance to prove themselves. Not like the Murphys, Etuhus, Wes Browns etc who all couldn't give a toss.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phili said:

According to Middlesbrough's last set of accounts the wage to turnover ratio was 78% so they do have a lot of flexibility to increase.

The last set of accounts I can see is for the 2020/21 season, with 186% wages to turnover (see photo). This does include being hampered by Covid however. 

Where are you getting this 78% from?

4097C7A2-E526-4213-84B3-E953FB6414FF.jpeg

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Good quiz answer is Steven Caulker "what players have one cap and one goal for England" - who can name the others? 

On the face of it he looks a decent shout. Obviously talented, should be hungry to prove himself, hopefully sorted his head out. One of those which has a chance to turn into a really good signing. Not comparing in terms of ability, but in situation Tugay and Friedel were similar. Around 30 but never really established themselves, wanted a chance to prove themselves. Not like the Murphys, Etuhus, Wes Browns etc who all couldn't give a toss.

Dave Nugent?

• Like 3