BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Hyam must be the first CB we'll pay actual money for a good while? Or am I forgetting someone?

I think the last was Williams. Even he was a LB/CB.

And he was about 300k. This one sounds closer to ten times that. Last time we paid decent money would probably have been Duffy, at I think about 1 mill? Scott Dann before that. Unless I'm forgetting someone...

Edited by bluebruce

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Hyam must be the first CB we'll pay actual money for a good while? Or am I forgetting someone?

Paul Downing we paid a minimal fee for, a few hundred K. Before that Williams but he was a LB, and before that I think it was probably Scott Dann.

Edited by AAK

3 minutes ago, blackburnravers.com said:

Really really hope we end up with SVDB and not Caulker.

Signing Hyam must mean we were unable to agree a fee with Brighton for JPVH. We were prepared to pay quite a bit more for him as well seemingly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If you rate Hyman that makes me feel a lot better about that particular deal. Be happier when it's confirmed though.

Memo to Gav and JH: That would be £6.5m spent so far this window? Shame there was no money made available. 

🙂

@RevidgeBlue Link?

3 minutes ago, AAK said:

Paul Downing we paid a minimal fee for, a few hundred K. Before that Williams but he was a LB, and before that I think it was probably Scott Dann.

Ahh yes, Downing. It wasn't a few hundred k though, think it was rumoured to be about 100k. Barely registers for a club like ours, but it was indeed money on a CB.

You have to say even if the mooted signings come off the squad is still weaker than the one which finished last season. And we could yet lose Brereton - who will HAVE to be replaced. Basically, we're spending money to stand still 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Just my opinion, i've shook it around for a few hours, but based on two signings from relegated sides, a loan from Liverpool, and the possibility of Caulker, Hyam and A.N nother.

Add to that the likely loss of Brereton, then I think we could of Given the DOF role to 95% of this MSG board and felt we'd had a better transfer window.

I'd of rather of agreed new deals with Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe and signed no-body and kept the cash.

The young players we have would still have got opportunities, and squad wise although worse off through the loss of the loans, at least i could accept that this is the model.

A week for the club to ease my fears, but as things stand its been pathetic so far

I completely agree Glen but the thing with the three that left is spilt milk. It is what it is now.

I just can't see the economic sense in refusing to give someone what they want in terms of wages then paying a fee/agent's fees and similar wages to another player who at best is no better.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, AAK said:

Good shout, forgot about Downing.

Dann joined us in 2011, the fact we can only think of Downing and Williams since, is either damning of the club or a testament to the academy!

I am no prophet, but after hiring Broughton & Tomasson, losing the aforementioned 10 1st teamers, bringing in Britain, Morton, and a nifty bit of business before the transfer window closes, and…

We finish 9th or 10th.

obviously, I hope I’m wrong.  

Edited by WacoRover

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I completely agree Glen but the thing with the three that left is spilt milk. It is what it is now.

I just can't see the economic sense in refusing to give someone what they want in terms of wages then paying a fee/agent's fees and similar wages to another player who at best is no better.

I saw this earlier on in the thread.

You don’t see an issue with offering Rothwell & Lenihan over 30k a week (probably more in JR’s case)?

Double what players like Dack are earning?

They aren’t worth that, for one.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Widely reported £2.5m for Szmodics 😳

£1.5 m for Brittain and £2.5m for Hyam.

In fact Nixon thought we'd have to go far higher to get Hyam but we'll go with the lower figure.

Link? or just made up numbers?

Edited by Gav

I don't understand why when we have gone European with jdt and Broughton (can't remember his name off the top of my head).  We have gone back to the old regime of buying players domestically in the English leagues.  Hyam and caulker (yes he's abroad but he's well known to the domestic game) could have been done by anyone at Rovers. Wheres the imagination of scouring Europe for hidden gems. When farke was appointed Norwich manager he unearthed gems like pukki.  This just smacks of laziness on Broughton's part. We have basically bought wholly on the domestic level instead of putting some effort into finding some unknowns that could turn out to be real gems the way Brentford have done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd imagine the sense lies in the fact the players brought in will be on less a week than it would have cost us to extend the contracts of those who have left which gets us closer to the 90% mark that we have to meet while agents fees and transfer fees can be covered in the losses made by the owners we still have to be trying too hit that 90% mark.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

I don't understand why when we have gone European with jdt and Broughton (can't remember his name off the top of my head).  We have gone back to the old regime of buying players domestically in the English leagues.  Hyam and caulker (yes he's abroad but he's well known to the domestic game) could have been done by anyone at Rovers. Wheres the imagination of scouring Europe for hidden gems. When farke was appointed Norwich manager he unearthed gems like pukki.  This just smacks of laziness on Broughton's part. We have basically bought wholly on the domestic level instead of putting some effort into finding some unknowns that could turn out to be real gems the way Brentford have done.

Work permit rules have changed following Brexit and bringing in players from overseas is tougher now for clubs outside the Premier League.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Opinions but I'd say Brittain is an upgrade on Nyambe certainly his attacking game.

Hyman iv seen hardly any of but his stats, injury record and the views of the Coventry fans has made pleasent reading.With the exception of last season Lenihen was nothing special but was a leader.

Szmodic I'm not too impressed by and a fee rising to £2.5 is too much for me when Dack should be playing in his ideal position.

The lads we lost were here for years and not once did we make the top 6. 

Still time to bring in a game changer or 2 we still have most loan slots available and the wages we lost from last season's squad.The lads we brought in so far won't be on massive money.

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

we hav`nt got a european scout,currently searching for one

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

It’s the first window, they’ve only been in the job a couple of months, one of the new recruitment team sadly passed away shortly after accepting an offer to join the club and we’re looking for a new European link anyway.

As it happens, I’m fairly sure Pukki came in some time after Farke joined, possibly a season in.

• Like 1