BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Three? Three?!? 

I mean given all the gaps we have, and all the outgoings, much less considering anything we heaven forfend might want to improve on, and three is the best that can do to sort this? 

We are still more than 3 players short. We're short on goals and that's before Bereton goes. We are so thin at CB and are relying on Ayala staying fit. There's little cover at full back, and that's before we even consider the quality there. We are short in midfield, notably steel and experience, and our wide players aren't very rapid or consistent. 

I get Rome wasn't built in a day but my word, we have way more issues than a further 3 players can address. We're relying on every player pulling their weight and being able to improve. Somehow I doubt that will happen. 

3 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Three? Three?!? 

I mean given all the gaps we have, and all the outgoings, much less considering anything we heaven forfend might want to improve on, and three is the best that can do to sort this? 

We are still more than 3 players short. We're short on goals and that's before Bereton goes. We are so thin at CB and are relying on Ayala staying fit. There's little cover at full back, and that's before we even consider the quality there. We are short in midfield, notably steel and experience, and our wide players aren't very rapid or consistent. 

I get Rome wasn't built in a day but my word, we have way more issues than a further 3 players can address. We're relying on every player pulling their weight and being able to improve. Somehow I doubt that will happen. 

We need five or six but in about a weeks time we will have

Ayala, Wharton, Hyam, carter, Phillips- that’s five for two positions- we don’t need six CBs imo.

I really want to see a proper number 9 up front, someone who can hold the ball up (Aka Graham) but also someone who can score goals. My gut says we will sign four before Thursday.

A 5 year journey arrives at a project that is a rebuild to put us on the path to becoming a sustainable PL club owned by the Venky's, I presume.

We then kick off the rebuild by appointing a DoF with no experience in the job above academy level in a small league abroad.

And yet after all the hard lessons of the past decade there are those who believe the narrative.

It just boggles my mind.

If we stay up it will be an achievement by JDT and his team who have been dealt a hand from a marked pack.

• Like 2

Think this window is fast becoming a shambolic mess.

In the Stoke match thread, I posted I thought there were now big question marks against JDT.

I also think there are huge question marks against Broughton. 

I think we have a barely communicative DOF who, IMO, seems aloof and arrogant.  Actions do speak louder than words but our DOF should also be building relationships with the fans and the local media and addressing fans' concerns and assuaging fears.  I am still waiting for him do do one thing that makes me think there might just be something about him.

I think the wolves will soon be hunting both JDT and Broughton if they don't get their acts together pretty dam quickly.  The 'happy clappers' bought, IMO, years of Mowbray bullshit and I very much doubt some of them will be taken in twice!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dallydally said:

Rankin Costello was simply awful first half. How is he classed as a professional footballer?

The lad is proper shite, a complete imposter in the pro game. Whoever saw fit to give him any type of contract at the club needs sectioning.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I take it you didn't watch Wharton boss Stoke for 45 minutes today then? And Garrett has apparently outplayed him during the Carabao Cup games. 

The midfield options are absolutely fine. We need a LB, a CB, a CF and a wide player. More if Brereton leaves. 

They won't do that consistently through the season.  Buckley still can't do it and he's got 4 years on them. 

I believe they are good players and I agree with all the other positions.

But asking 2 lads from the under 21s, with no league experience to consistently boss a midfield, turn games or see out games in the championship, isn't realistic.  

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

They won't do that consistently through the season.  Buckley still can't do it and he's got 4 years on them. 

I believe they are good players and I agree with all the other positions.

But asking 2 lads from the under 21s, with no league experience to consistently boss a midfield, turn games or see out games in the championship, isn't realistic.  

They're not being asked to constantly boss a midfield - we're 6 games in and this is Wharton's first appearance. Garrett has yet to play in the league. They're rightly being drip-fed in. 

We genuinely have much bigger problems than the 5 (6 if you include Edun, but realistically he should be sold) CMs we have on the books. 

31 minutes ago, Mercer said:

In the Stoke match thread, I posted I thought there were now big question marks against JDT.

I think we have a barely communicative DOF who, IMO, seems aloof and arrogant.  Actions do speak louder than words but our DOF should also be building relationships with the fans and the local media and addressing fans' concerns and assuaging fears.  I am still waiting for him do do one thing that makes me think there might just be something about him.

I think the wolves will soon be hunting both JDT and Broughton if they don't get their acts together pretty dam quickly.  The 'happy clappers' bought, IMO, years of Mowbray bullshit and I very much doubt some of them will be taken in twice!

Eh?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

JDT reiterates there will only be 3 new arrivals. They must all be very close to being done if he's saying that.

Hyam seems like a good signing tbf, but midfield and striking options well short on quality.

JDT saying that it's about building for the future. It's been clear for a while that the aim of this club is not to get back to the Premier league, it is to develop young talent and sell them on for a profit. Promotion would just be a nice bonus. 

That's what iv'e been saying for years it was clear in the way Mowbray operated. Promotion is just a 'oh it would be great if it happened sometime' but lets get on with the youth project instead.

43 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

We then kick off the rebuild by appointing a DoF with no experience in the job above academy level in a small league abroad.

Harsh. The Norwegian league might not be all that but the work done at Bodø/Glimt is not far short of a miracle. If they played Rovers they would absolutely murder us.

Edited by OsloRover
sp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I take it you didn't watch Wharton boss Stoke for 45 minutes today then? And Garrett has apparently outplayed him during the Carabao Cup games. 

The midfield options are absolutely fine. We need a LB, a CB, a CF and a wide player. More if Brereton leaves. 

Got to agree with this, LB, another CB if we get Hyam in, and a proper CF.. oh and also a back up RB.. 

Need to get shut of JRC and Dolan is on a real downward spiral, Markanday needs to be given some game time! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LDRover said:

The lad is proper shite, a complete imposter in the pro game. Whoever saw fit to give him any type of contract at the club needs sectioning.

Struggle to hold down a place in a league 1 team

2 hours ago, starscascade said:

Who’s gonna score goals if Brereton stays? Only 2 goals so far 

He was garbage today, would be lucky to get 2m on todays showing.

2 hours ago, dallydally said:

Rankin Costello was simply awful first half. How is he classed as a professional footballer?

We call him the Kellogg Kid. Obviously he won a competition to be here

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

We’re not getting promoted this season, while obviously would be nice, it has never been the ambition this season. 

Us fans need to see the bigger picture.

I wish they'd added it to season ticket literature that there was no intention or ambition to get promoted this season. Maybe they could explain why thousands of us are paying top end prices if there is no ambition to go up from a crap league that is wide open.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, AJW said:

So basically we don’t replace payers with better quality players  we only replace them when they leave 🤔🤔🤔… and they they wonder why we keep finishing mid table 

wrong. We are bring 6 in maybe 7 and bringing in a number of young players through. 

7 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sunderland signing Michut - FYI @chaddyrovers

Can’t get my head round this ‘Neil wasn’t backed’ narrative in the press.

Cos that Neil has told them

58 minutes ago, Mercer said:

blimey, some people like you aren't willing to allow both some time and patience. 

JDT will come good and move this club into the right direction and plenty of fans can see this but you still obsess with Allardyce and boring tactics. 

1 minute ago, RVRVRS said:

We call him the Kellogg Kid. Obviously he won a competition to be here

there was an instance in the 1st half when stoke played a long ball towards their left winger and jrc got on the wrong side of their player in an attempt to mark him and conceded a foul in a dangerous area,thats the simple stuff you learn as a kid,get goalside of your man,he could`nt even manage that,nothing against jrc but he`s a semi pro standard player in a professional league

• Like 2

I remember JRC being highly regarded as an attacking midfielder at the Academy and he was on United's books before he came to us.

He's found himself being played at fullback when it's clearly not a position he has much talent for.

I'm sure he's trying to help and accommodate what his managers have asked of him by playing there, but I can't imagine that Pike wouldn't be several shades better, in Brittain's absence.

I don't like to overly criticise our own players, as it's nothing but counter-productive, but today he was beyond awful. Honestly think I'd have done a better job there and I haven't played regular RB since my Roman Road U14 days (which were a looooonnnng time - and several stone - ago).

Edited by Andy
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, imy9 said:

We need five or six but in about a weeks time we will have

Ayala, Wharton, Hyam, carter, Phillips- that’s five for two positions- we don’t need six CBs imo.

I really want to see a proper number 9 up front, someone who can hold the ball up (Aka Graham) but also someone who can score goals. My gut says we will sign four before Thursday.

I'd question if 6 is enough!

Agree on a centre forward massively. Definitely needed. We need a few more goal threats. 

In defence - is Carter ready? Is Phillips for that matter? Add in Ayala is injury prone and I do wonder if more cover is needed there. Perhaps not solely a centre back as both full backs need cover too. So I reckon one or two are needed. The Coventry lad being one I presume. 

Midfield. A ball winner tough guy is essential. We need steel in there. I'd also say a lot of our back up is very young and there are times when they need taking out of the firing line. Unfortunately there's no one to enable them to do that as they are our sole back up. Again there's a question of whether loans for them would be better as well. 

Attack wise of the 4 positions the hole is covered (so to speak!) by Dack and Siz - the new lad. Left attack by Bereton. We agree on a new central striker, as we need more goal thrwata.

As for the wide right attacker not sure who really should hold that place. Hedges seems better this season but unsure if he's the answer. Dolan is hot and cold. The former Spurs lad hasn't played much football. In short all strike me as reserves rather than first 11 options. 

So by my count that's at least 4 probably like 5 or 6 that we need in to be competitive. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

blimey, some people like you aren't willing to allow both some time and patience. 

JDT will come good and move this club into the right direction and plenty of fans can see this but you still obsess with Allardyce and boring tactics. 

Generally, football is a results based industry.

I don't want fantasy journeys which after Mowbray's 5 years, IMO, got us nowhere and left us in a mess requiring alomost a complete rebuild job.

I don't want projects that may take years to come to fruition and talk about the future (JDT & GB).

I want the likes of Waggott, JDT and GB to come out and say our target is to secure a return to the PL as quickly as possible - full stop.  That is what they are employed to do.  Settle for mediocrity and mediocrity is what you get at best. 

I think our club has stagnated for far too long and some feckin ambition and stretching targets are called for. 

• Like 9