BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

22 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If you have a leak in your house and the same plumber has 32 goes at repairing it without success then what would you think!?

Only a d1ckhead would give the same plumber 32 opportunities but you get my drift.

Yeah but perhaps someone with a smaller house has given said plumber a chance, he has proven himself up to the task. So the question is do you give this plumber another chance or have you written him off for life based on his work as a junior apprentice. I love metaphors lol 😂

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Not that it has any relevance because he won't be coming here either way. But have you factored in Alex Mighten leaving to join Sheffield Wednesday on loan today? And you don't have to register everyone that you have, they have players like Cafu and Lyle Taylor who I suspect will be registered at the moment that could be left out with little impact.

Everything is factored in my good friend but 18 new signings another incoming today added to last seasons squad also with the number of British players in their squad makes it very top sided and overloaded with a game allowing 18 players in the squad - by my reckoning that leaves a further 17 first team squad players give or take who will make up the five a side teams in training ! Signings galore an Uber inflated squad millions splashed out and despite that there going to be a lot of players not very happy - I just don’t see Bowler impacting on what they already had what they have right now and even with some success before Xmas I don’t see it then

Random (overly wordy) thoughts:

- Been funny to read fans try to either under- or overplay how much we've spent so far. Usually we'd hope for the former numbers, yet worries about how much Venky's is willing to spend (/we can spend) makes us hope for the latter too... Across the various reports, it seems clear to me that the respective ranges are £900k-£1.5m for Brittain, £1.5-2.5m for Szmodics, and £1.5-2.5m for Hyam, with the higher figures accounting for installments, add-ons, bonuses, etc. So, let's all agree that we've at least committed to spending £3.9m so far, and that figure is likely to rise to £6.5m 🙂

- Even after signing Hyam, Phillips' emergence, and Wharton/Carter returning from injury, I liked the idea of SvDB as cover for both CB (enabling a back 3) and RB. Without Brittain, we're stuck with either Buckley deputising (I think we'd all prefer that he figure his shit out at CM) or JRC, who sadly isn't up for it (he's still signed until 2024, so a year on loan could be a good idea to get his feet under him after so many injury layoffs). So, still hoping we bring in cover for RB/RWB, and if they're an okay emergency CB too, that could allow another L1 loan for Carter. Could be a case where a loan is sensible.

- Hirst: shouldn't be too harsh on his failures as a sub for a shit Rotherham side (only had 662 min). However, could also argue he should've done better to force himself into that starting lineup. 13 goals (+ 2 Cup goals) in L1 for Portsmouth (where he was also often only sub: 27 starts + 13 sub), plus U21s pedigree, suggests there's something there. So, an interesting option, but it depends on if he's brought in as young depth up front (yay) or part of 'replacing' BBD (boo)

- With JDT signaling that A. Wharton is (deservedly) sticking around, I suspect a loan move will be lined up for Garrett? I like what I've seen from Morton so far. Probably time to unload Butterworth in any way we can. Also, hopefully a good loan can be found for Hilton, who intrigues me given his size and apparently doing pretty well at Hamilton last year.

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Everything is factored in my good friend but 18 new signings another incoming today added to last seasons squad also with the number of British players in their squad makes it very top sided and overloaded with a game allowing 18 players in the squad - by my reckoning that leaves a further 17 first team squad players give or take who will make up the five a side teams in training ! Signings galore an Uber inflated squad millions splashed out and despite that there going to be a lot of players not very happy - I just don’t see Bowler impacting on what they already had what they have right now and even with some success before Xmas I don’t see it then

Premier League sides can have 20 man squads, not 18.

The numbers that they have brought in seem excessive but too much is made of it. Lowe, Spence, Davis, Garner and Zinkernagel were on loan last season so thats half their promoted line up gone before you start, then throw in the likes of Samba, Horvarth, Grabban, Figuereido, Lolley, Bong and Mighten who have all left for various reasons and Richards who picked up a bad injury almost instantly and those drastic squad changes become more of necessity than anything else.

There are also players like Taylor and Cafu who are clearly surplus to requirements.

Either way, Bowler won't be coming here.

13 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Fishing? It was you who started the 'I've changed my mind' sarcasm. 

You're offended sensibilities aside, it seems you're still ignoring he only started 4 of those 32 games. So you're assertion that he's had an extended chance in the Championship and 'failed miserably' is just nonsense. 

Unless I'm mistaken he is a striker and has made 31 or 32 appearances at this level and has failed to find the net.

Joe Nuttall has a better record than this guy. Would you say we should be signing him back?

I'm baffled by some of the blase and nonchalant reactions on here to some of these transfer deals not happening.

Caulker not signing..."I'm not fussed anyway"

Van Hecke not signing (as it seems right now)..."I'm not that fussed, I'd prefer SVDB".

SVDB not signing..."I'm not that fussed, we've got Carter and Phillips. Let's move on".

We've had weeks of posts saying it would be great if we could get the 'two Van's' in, or at least one of them. Now neither look to be happening and it doesn't matter?

It's also noticeable how some are trying to push this idea that the club might have withdrawn their offers and turned the players down. Sure.

I hope there is another defender lined up as I'm not confident about our backup options at the minute.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SuperBrfc said:

I'm baffled by some of the blase and nonchalant reactions on here to some of these transfer deals not happening.

Van Hecke not signing (as it seems right now)..."I'm not that fussed, I'd prefer SVDB".

SVDB not signing..."I'm not that fussed, we've got Carter and Phillips. Let's move on".

We've had weeks of posts saying it would be great if we could get the 'two Van's' in, or at least one of them. Now neither look to be happening and it doesn't matter?

It's also noticeable how some are trying to push this idea that the club might have withdrawn their offers and turned the players down. Sure.

I hope there is another defender lined up as I'm not confident about our backup options at the minute.

I'm sure it will all work out

6 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I'm trying to learn not to bite on here, did see one trying his best yesterday to WUM, but just moved past the post and carried on.

This is a forum, 99% of us don't work in media or get paid to share things, its just discussion points which can get too overly personal.

Given the above its not forum members job to get it right all or at all, we dont have to sell papers, or explain ourselves.

Admittedly though i get far more agitated on twitter by keyboard warriors and their insults, so rather than ignore, they get it back double barrelled, or the one i saw at the club shop saturday who went white when i asked him "you got something to say, you had plenty on twitter?"

Did he slink off?

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Unless I'm mistaken he is a striker and has made 31 or 32 appearances at this level and has failed to find the net.

Joe Nuttall has a better record than this guy. Would you say we should be signing him back?

Which has no relevance on how he would do 2 years later in a different team. See Rudy Gestede. 

8 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Partially agree. Would have preferred JPVH (permanently) to Hyam or SVDB.

Think us and Brighton were a LONG way apart on valuations. (Maybe more their fault than ours)

However now we've signed Hyam, not sure we need SVDB. Think Phillips is finding his feet quite quickly tbh.

Edit: Definitely didn't want Caulker anyway.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I've always taken the stance that we needed another CB - the fact that we've brought in Hyam means that we've solved that problem. I think Carter has earned his chance at playing time after his loan stint last season and obviously Phillips hasn't let us down either. Ayala has been our standout player this year - he's a PL talent when he's fit.

SVDB was an option for me as he can play RB. That's my only concern at the back now - starting LB and backup RB (I thought Travis was very good there on Saturday for what it's worth). 

I'm not too concerned about Van Hecke as if he wanted to be here he would be - and evidently Brighton want a fortune for him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I've always taken the stance that we needed another CB - the fact that we've brought in Hyam means that we've solved that problem. I think Carter has earned his chance at playing time after his loan stint last season and obviously Phillips hasn't let us down either. Ayala has been our standout player this year - he's a PL talent when he's fit.

SVDB was an option for me as he can play RB. That's my only concern at the back now - starting LB and backup RB (I thought Travis was very good there on Saturday for what it's worth). 

I'm not too concerned about Van Hecke as if he wanted to be here he would be - and evidently Brighton want a fortune for him. 

Substitute (Scott) Wharton for Ayala and I mostly agree with the above.

Maybe, just maybe, losing out on Svdb is a handy conclusion for Rovers. 

Having secured the Hyam signing, which apparently came available since the deal with Liverpool was arranged, it could be that he's surplus to requirements now. 

If we chase another centre half I'd say we still wanted him. If not, I'd say it's a nice end to it, and keeps the peace with Liverpool. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

(I thought Travis was very good there on Saturday for what it's worth). 

Travis would go a good job at right back as a stand-in but who would replace him in midfield? He's the only midfield player we have who will put a foot in and highlights the urgent need for another player of his type. Midfield is as much a problem as our non-scoring forward line IMO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Travis would go a good job at right back as a stand-in but who would replace him in midfield? He's the only midfield player we have who will put a foot in and highlights the urgent need for another player of his type. Midfield is as much a problem as our non-scoring forward line IMO

I haven't seen Garrett play yet, but they rate him highly. Wharton was the business on Saturday and Morton looks a player too.

It's difficult to bring in a good player to sit on the bench most weeks.