BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Disappointed that SVDB will not be coming here but, equally, it's not a killer blow. I feel like we have some good options there already but his versatility would have been very useful.  

My first reaction to Hirst coming here yesterday was similar to others - he's a striker with a very poor record at championship level. However, after doing some research on him I think he is the type of striker we need. Big, strong, good in the air, and runs the channels. I've been saying for few weeks we lack muscle all over the pitch and are far too easy to bully. This guy may give us some presence up the top end of the pitch and be a good focal point. I'd obviously love to sign someone more proven but those kinda players go to clubs with far bigger budgets.

• Like 4

VDB appealed as he could cover right back as well, that said - centre halves that can cover the full back slots are never usually as good there, Carter being a prime example.

Interesting week in store, hopefully the next 2 now if they arrive are more attack minded....

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Travis would go a good job at right back as a stand-in but who would replace him in midfield? He's the only midfield player we have who will put a foot in and highlights the urgent need for another player of his type. Midfield is as much a problem as our non-scoring forward line IMO

I just think he opened a few eyes on Saturday - provided that extra man in attack / midfield playing at RB. I doubt JRC plays for JDT again. 

Midfield is an issue in the sense that they're all inexperienced and Buckley has a tendency to go missing. I absolutely don't think we need a 'hard man' in there. 

1 hour ago, roversinmyblood said:

Did well at Portsmouth and how well was BBD doing prior to last year. With age comes maturity maybe he has learned how to play and will be a real gem. Anyway a loan with a view would be best option. 

Prior to last season he scored 7 goals in 2020/21. You'll note that's 7 higher than 0.

I do wonder for how many years we are going to hear the argument that Brereton had a rubbish record then came good so we should take a punt on someone with a similar or worse record, or that someone already at the club with a similar or worse record is going to be the next Brereton. The improvement in Brereton (which was over two seasons, not just one as is often presented) was unprecedented in my time watching Rovers. It's very very unlikely to happen again just a year later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Odd one that.  The fact we allegedly had a 'deal in place' and were waiting on Liverpool injuries clearing up.  Only for the minute they clear up, for him to head straight off to Germany. 

Either Liverpool have been a bit  naughty there..or we've had first refusal and said no...or it was all bollocks and we were never in for him 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't think it's that odd - a 'better' offer came in and he's taken it. Neither he or Liverpool owe us anything. It's just football. 

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Prior to last season he scored 7 goals in 2020/21. You'll note that's 7 higher than 0.

I do wonder for how many years we are going to hear the argument that Brereton had a rubbish record then came good so we should take a punt on someone with a similar or worse record, or that someone already at the club with a similar or worse record is going to be the next Brereton. The improvement in Brereton (which was over two seasons, not just one as is often presented) was unprecedented in my time watching Rovers. It's very very unlikely to happen again just a year later.

It's about identifying ability and situations - every player is different, maybe they see something in Hirst. 

Brereton had undeniable ability, but he wasn't sure of himself when he arrived at Rovers. He played in front of a hostile crowd who rightly wanted to see an instant return on the huge transfer fee we paid for him and it chipped away at his confidence.

A year or two of growing into his body and a year of basically behind closed doors football and he found himself. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

When was PNE's last league goal?

Feels like they've fallen out because he wants a move to a bigger club. Cutting their nose off to spite their face. 

Started the season as the main man, hasn't done it so on the bench, obviously he's not doing it there so wants out, I think it's best all round there....I just hope he don't turn up here.

Edited by Sparks Rover

14 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I don't think it's that odd - a 'better' offer came in and he's taken it. Neither he or Liverpool owe us anything. It's just football. 

Not sure I could ever fully get behind a proper ginge anyway. 

Cb is no longer a priority now that we have Hyam and also Ashley has proven himself useful if he's needed for the odd game 

Just pretty much every other area of the squad that needs a boost in quality now 😅😅