BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

Thats what Jack did, he bought 5000 every year to help balance the books, you have to have a will to succeed, our lot barely have a pulse. 

Really ? Didn’t know that. Good on him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

Thats what Jack did, he bought 5000 every year to help balance the books, you have to have a will to succeed, our lot barely have a pulse. 

Well he didn't actually do that his trust fund made a 'gift' donation of 3 million per year to make us able to compete with clubs with huge Prem crowds.

In turn we were usually one of the top ten payers in the league which allowed us to be competitive.

This though was before the TV money went through the roof and wages on the back of that went into the stratosphere.  You could argue even though you won't like it that Vs do exactly the same by under pinning the annual loses to the tune of c20 million.

Problem is their starting point for that was the mess they and their mates created.

21 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

My friend is also a Man City fan and I want to throttle him whenever we talk about football.

They lucked into one rich owner, who was then arrested for fraud, and stumbled into the best owners in football. What they've done with the East side of Manchester beggars belief.

I've never understood why rovers haven't been targeted by billionaire shieks.  We have a top quality stadium, a great academy.  Potential to increase fanbase. A proud history. Did man city have a more glamorous history when their owners took over? Not really.  Rovers are a good catch 

44 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Having a basic grasp of FFP isn't towing the party line ffs.

Right so Wolverhampton Wanderers last had a average attendance of over 28 thousand fans in the championship, do you need me to go on?

There are more ways to increase revenue than simply sell tickets. The "Ewood experience" has been the subject of many posts over the years and there are many aspects to that. Not pissing off your own fans for a start.

Glen Mullen has made several posts abut sponsorship opportunities that the Club hasn't followed up.

But, in the end, you have to admit that clubs with similar attendances to us have made it to the big league.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

No he didn't that's a complete spin on what actually happened.

He subsidised the club to the tune of 5000 season tickets every year, nobody thinks he had 5000 season ticket books under the bed....

Venkys, if they had the desire, could also look at industrious ways to generate income, selling the training ground shouldn't have been one of them.

Edited by Gav

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Who are they going to ask ?

The people saying "Venkys Out". Whilst they have been dreadful owners it's glib just to say Venkys Out without addressing who is going to take over, the terms that Venkys would demand on any sale, and the ability of the new owners to fund what still seem to be significant annual losses.

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

I've never understood why rovers haven't been targeted by billionaire shieks.  We have a top quality stadium, a great academy.  Potential to increase fanbase. A proud history. Did man city have a more glamorous history when their owners took over? Not really.  Rovers are a good catch 

I think Jack missed a trick here. The revolution he started took the game away from the local fan hero who made good and bought his local club. Happened at Wolves, happened at Newcastle. While he was alive he should have formed a consortium of wealthy individuals to keep the club on track after he'd gone.That could have been self-sustaining.

He stuck with family ownership but they were only interested in in selling

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

The Ross Barkley thing is jokes…right? 

Wishful thinking probably. 

Even a "marquee signing" budget isn't going to get anywhere near the £50k p/w minimum that Barkley will want (though I suppose if is viewed internally as a £2.5M "transfer fee" split across a 52 week contract that could get near the number. But a £2.5M investment for literally zero resale value at end of year). 

But even if it was true why would we spunk our cash on our most covered position (number 10) - we have Dack, Smozdics, Hedges, Dolan, Buckley all buzzing around a single role.

Then on top of that attitude concerns, likely that he will just see as as a payday like Danny Murphy did, and the impact of his vastly higher wages will do to the dressing room. Plus doesn't in any way fit with the philosophy that Broughton and JDT have aligned to (young, hungry, cheap players). 

So not likely imo. But we only have to wait to tomorrow to find out!

14 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Rondon being let go by Everton. Clearing space for Diaz?

Unlikely but would he be a decent signing at 32? 

I have a friend who is a season ticket holder at Goodison and he said that Rondon does not move..  so best we stay away.. we need players on upward trajectories not has beens.. 

Edited by Darwen Rover 007
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

He subsidised the club to the tune of 5000 season tickets every year, nobody thinks he had 5000 season ticket books under the bed....

Venkys, if they had the desire, could also look at industrious ways to generate income, selling the training ground shouldn't have been one of them.

Then don't put silly spin on it just tell it like it was.

These lot are subsidising the club in a very similar way he underwrote the losses just the same as now except he regularly wrote off loans.

Main difference is he put extra in to buy players but money went much further then whereas these lot have created a black hole that swallows the fees of several top players per season in just running costs alone.

I'm not defending them the one and only thing that will fix this is a promotion that brings in monumental income increases overnight. Even if it's only one season plus parachutes that allows a complete reset of the books as long as they don't go on a crazy spending/wage increase.

The main issue at Rovers remains the shocking way the club has been run and managed not just the actual funding.

4 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Not sure how credible the source is, but...

In style exactly the sort of number 9 we need, but his scoring record isn't that good. Could see him being a perfect foil for Dack like Graham was though.

But... QPR are going to want a huge fee surely? Contracted to 2024. And he's not guaranteed top quality at Championship level, he's a middling sort of striker. Hmm.

If QPR wanted to get rid of him for some reason I could see it happening, but if they want to keep him can't really see how it could work.

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well I would say maybe that your choice of film you like perhaps 🤔

I dont think so. My point is you cant judge a player based on a small cutscene of 5 minutes, or less, spanning a career of nine plus years. This is how advertising works and so many people fall for it. The person who made the video has passion for the person or product. I'm sure someone could make a video of all his misses and misplaced passes, if they had the passion for doing so, and that would equally be as pointless to judge the worth. I could make a video of Hitler petting deer, playing with his dog and being nice to children, it wouldn't make him a nice person as showing a player scoring nine goals doesnt make him a good Championship striker.

• Like 1