BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

8 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

But we wouldn’t be trying before buying if we were obligated to buy him, we’d be performing a pointless exercise.

Having an option to buy makes sense for all the reasons you state.

Yeah but it's our option is what I'm saying.

We have the option to make it permanent,if he has a cracking season then we make the deal permanent for the price agreed, we don't fancy him we say no thanks and walk away.

That is what I'm getting from Glen mullans and Callumrovers view of the deal anyway 

He fits the model , young with untapped potential...one probably led by Data I imagine.Not possible for us to pay the £5 million Leicester want this season and no other club is buying for that price now either 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

Yeah but it's our option is what I'm saying.

We have the option to make it permanent,if he has a cracking season then we make the deal permanent for the price agreed, we don't fancy him we say no thanks and walk away.

That is what I'm getting from Glen mullans and Callumrovers view of the deal anyway 

Yeah, of course an option is our option. The obligation removes our ability to walk away if he’s shit/gets injured.

Glen and Callum are saying two different things. Glen is stating we have the option to buy - makes perfect sense.

Callum is stating we have an obligation to buy - doesn’t make sense.

• Like 3

Keen to see Hirst in action. Can understand why people are dismissing him, but as we’ve found out ourselves with BBD, sometimes things just click for a player and they kick on. Second half of last season at Portsmouth, they did for Hirst. Every chance he can continue on that trend and he has attributes that could fill the gap.

For those dismissing him because of the level he’s at; a little over ten years ago, Leicester paid £1m for a 24-year-old striker banging them in at Conference level. He’s done alright since, but I wonder how many of us would have dismissed him out of hand?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It does make sense. They don't want to lose him on a free and are protecting their asset. I know that seems surreal to Rovers fans after this summer though.

They likely don't think he's going to be good enough to ever break their team, but they know he is worth money, and could be worth more after a decent season in the Championship. Let's say our offer now is about £3 mill and they think they can get £5 mill for him, but we won't budge. So they extend his deal, loan him out with a £5 mill sale clause which we can choose to pay if we're convinced by next summer or whenever the clause expires. They make £2 mill more on him this way than by just selling him. Theoretical numbers of course. If we don't want to pay at £5 mill because we are broke, another club perhaps pays that next summer, or even more. Or, he doesn't do well enough for all that and they loan him out again in the hope he does.

If they wanted to sell him they would sell him now.

If your theory is correct and he doesn't cut the mustard here they'd be stuck with a player they don't want by the end of the season. Or alternatively if he does well they won't want to allow him to move at a guaranteed knock down price at the end of that - they could do similar now presumably.

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The 'loan with option to buy' thing is just a red herring. It's a loan. Wish we'd just accept and be honest about that. It's as though the 'option to buy' thing persuades people into believing that there is a longer term strategy in play.

Reality is he ticks the boxes - available, cheap

I think that's all there is to it here. We keep hearing about this 'loan now, buy later' thing as though it is some crafty ploy by Rovers to roll the costs over into future FFP cycles or grab a bargain now and decide whether to pay later. Don't think we are in a position to deal with things like that.

Don't know anything about the lad, his record at Pompey reasonable, but I'd have hoped for something a bit more proven and imaginative than this.

I agree, can only be a loan but from our point of view no bad thing. The less we commit to this particular deal the better imo.

1 hour ago, West Yorks Rover said:

When does the window close ?

Thursday 11pm

Expecting Styles , Archer, Fry, Barkley , Bowler,Hirst ,a back up RB from a European club ,a sub goalkeeper, a midfield enforcer to get done .

My source Alan Nixon reckons Broughton has pulled off a worldie aswell.A wee gem he described it.

Edited by islander200
Forgot Bowler
  • Like 5

35 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Even if he signs a new deal with Leicester before joining Rovers that would tend to suggest that they want to keep him in the long run.

Therefore they won't be prepared to put an option to purchase at an agreed fee in and in the very unlikely event he does well his time here will come to an end when the loan period expires and we'll be priced out of a permanent move.

I think we should walk away if Leicester are asking him to sign a new deal just so they can request an extortionate fee at the end of the loan.  If the player wants a move why not pay say 1.5 million now and he's ours. If he works out we have a bargain if not we could recoup the money by selling him at some point.  I think it's arrogance from Leicester to think they can pull the pants down of little old Blackburn rovers.  If the player wants to leave then usually they get their way

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If they wanted to sell him they would sell him now.

If your theory is correct and he doesn't cut the mustard here they'd be stuck with a player they don't want by the end of the season. Or alternatively if he does well they won't want to allow him to move at a guaranteed knock down price at the end of that - they could do similar now presumably.

If they wanted to sell him, rate him at £5 mill now or potentially, and the offer is half that or less, they could very feasibly choose to roll the dice instead. Their being 'stuck with the player' might be a low risk gamble (maybe his wages are or would be low). If he doesn't do that well, they could loan him out again, probably getting most of the wages covered and mitigating the risk. These Prem sides know how to make money off their youth prospects through the loan market, they've made an industry of it.

The guaranteed knock down price would still, in this example, be double what they were going to get if they sold him now. Also, if he does REALLY well and is attracting much bigger clubs, it probably won't matter what we have agreed. Typically, a clause like that would only allow us to have a bid accepted - if the player isn't interested, because Brentford have had a 10 mill bid accepted and will pay him 40k a week, we aren't going to be getting him.

• Like 1

Just now, roverandout said:

I think we should walk away if Leicester are asking him to sign a new deal just so they can request an extortionate fee at the end of the loan.  If the player wants a move why not pay say 1.5 million now and he's ours. If he works out we have a bargain if not we could recoup the money by selling him at some point.  I think it's arrogance from Leicester to think they can pull the pants down of little old Blackburn rovers.  If the player wants to leave then usually they get their way

Because they probably aren't willing to sell him for 1.5 million now. That stance may change if the player didn't want to sign a new deal though, but it sounds like he does. More fool him I say, Leicester clearly don't think he will make it there and are just trying to leverage more money off their asset.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Thursday 11pm

Expecting Styles , Archer, Fry, Barkley ,Hirst ,a back up RB from a European club ,a sub goalkeeper, a midfield enforcer to get done .

My source Alan Nixon reckons Broughton has pulled off a worldie aswell.A wee gem he described it.

This reads like if an AI had been reading BRFCS the past few days, it’s good stuff.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Thursday 11pm

Expecting Styles , Archer, Fry, Barkley ,Hirst ,a back up RB from a European club ,a sub goalkeeper, a midfield enforcer to get done .

If Carlsberg did transfer windows 😁

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Mowbray to Sunderland confirmed, btw.

and Tony is off - "It is a journey - I've just come from Blackburn Rovers and like here, it was a rebuilding process...."

Feckin hell - think Tony's walls have fallen down here and Sunderland under Neil were on the way up - ongoing development you clown and not rebuilding!

• Like 1

Let's start a thread of potential signings or managerial appointments that we all got into hysteria over but never happened.  I have two. Ronaldinho. This was at the beginning of venkys era. In the end it was all hot air from them. Also Harry redkapp. He apparently had talks with shebby but went away laughing when he heard the terms he was being offered 

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Told Ross Barkley is at Stanley House tonight!

At least with all the fun we have had with this one today, we can definitely write it off now.

Cheers Merce!

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

and Tony is off - "It is a journey - I've just come from Blackburn Rovers and like here, it was a rebuilding process...."

Feckin hell - think Tony's walls have fallen down here and Sunderland under Neil were on the way up - ongoing development you clown and not rebuilding!

The man can't help himself can he. If this was his pitch at the interview, the Sunderland board should really have looked at how his rebuild ended up here after 5 years - with a glut of players needing replacing because they were gone.

• Like 4