BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Hayden Carter: 

Portsmouth fans loved him at Fratton Park, what adhered him to the fan base so quickly?

His quality and how quickly he adapted to Danny Cowley's playing style. Due to injuries, suspension and inconsistency, Pompey chopped and changed systems a fair bit and when they used a back three, which became the norm more so in the second half of the season, someone to play on the right of the three centre-backs was needed. Carter filled that role very comfortably, having thrived in a similar role at Burton Albion earlier in the season. He wins tackles and is so technically gifted, both with his passing and his movement. He may be built like a centre-back, but sometimes his movement was more reminiscent of a winger. 

What are the best parts of his skill set?

Versatility was a plus point. As mentioned, he was defensively sound, but on a number of occasions, he played as a right-back in a back four and did well there. Very keen to get forward and overlap and attack like a modern-day defender. He also has a long shot in him, scoring a screamer from long range against Oxford as well as going close on many other occasions. He was also one of Pompey's best crossers last season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

No, but it also means that having an option to buy isn't a cast iron guarantee in the club's favour.  

Anyway.  I'd be delighted if someone scored 20 goals for us this season.  Can't see where the next one is coming from at the moment!

It's a cast iron guarantee of the price we'll pay, which is what the whole discussion is about. 

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

There will be a fixed fee Rev.

The option will be in our favour up to us wether we take up the option or send him back.

They can't change the terms of the option it will all be on paper and binding.

I obviously understand there will be a fixed fee.

What everyone apart from me and  roverandout are seemingly failing to grasp is that as Leicester want to sign him up to a new contract first, that fee will obviously be set by them at a prohibitive amount.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

That's the risk with every transfer. 

I know, that's why you risk little money and take advantage of the economical benefits or signing players in the last year of their contract... As someone said, I don't know what's difficult to understand. 

13 hours ago, islander200 said:

Thursday 11pm

Expecting Styles , Archer, Fry, Barkley , Bowler,Hirst ,a back up RB from a European club ,a sub goalkeeper, a midfield enforcer to get done .

My source Alan Nixon reckons Broughton has pulled off a worldie aswell.A wee gem he described it.

He said Kean was a wee gem too 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It's a cast iron guarantee of the price we'll pay, which is what the whole discussion is about. 

And if the option price is prohibitive?

What does he need to make it worthwhile? 30 goals?

(Bearing in mind he has a record at this level of none in 31 or 32)

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The option price is 5m we know it and si di they so they must not see it as prohibitive or they would not have bothered inserting it in the deal

6 minutes ago, Neal said:

I know, that's why you risk little money and take advantage of the economical benefits or signing players in the last year of their contract... As someone said, I don't know what's difficult to understand. 

But he isn't in his last year. He's going to sign a new contract before he's loaned out. Maybe you missed that part? 

1 minute ago, Beanie01289 said:

The option price is 5m we know it and si di they so they must not see it as prohibitive or they would not have bothered inserting it in the deal

I know that's the rumoured price.

I'd be walking away like a shot. Ludicrous for someone who has already failed at this level, and the whole exercise is highly likely to be a colossal waste ot time if not money.

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Jesus Christ. Please stop with the straw men. We agreed a price, we don't have to pay it if after a season we don't think he's worth it. Exactly the same as the Zeefuik deal. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

But he isn't in his last year. He's going to sign a new contract before he's loaned out. Maybe you missed that part? 

If he did let his contract run down, at his age it would go to a tribunal for Leicester compensation to be agreed.

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Exactly.  2.5 million would have been a gamble worth taking if he had a good season but 5 million is Premier league money. That's money better spent on more areas of the team

• Like 1

Just now, roverandout said:

Exactly.  2.5 million would have been a gamble worth taking if he had a good season but 5 million is Premier league money. That's money better spent on more areas of the team

This. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Ergo, if he does sign a new deal, they are then going to (and apparently already have)  demanded top dollar for him.

It's such an obvious point I don't know what's so difficult to understand.

He hasnt shone up to press. From our point of view it should have been cheap gamble now or walk away.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Jesus Christ. Please stop with the straw men. We agreed a price, we don't have to pay it if after a season we don't think he's worth it. Exactly the same as the Zeefuik deal. 

Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour ? 
image.jpeg.387c664814a27d9fde5105acd39ce4a1.jpeg

Edited by Tugayisgod
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Fuck me. P'boro have sold strikers for more than that when they've been in League 1. 

But the likes of toney were banging in 30 goals a season on more than one occasion. Plus he was their player. Leicester see hirst as surplus to requirements and are using this loan and contract thing to fleece rovers if we decide to pay it. The guy has no goals in the championship.  He's not worth a gamble at 5 million but say we paid 2 million I would have no problem with that if he worked out in his loan

Just now, glen9mullan said:

Double sticker today?

I think just the one. Unless we make room for an Ash Phillips new contract special shiny edition? (Told his deal is wrapped up and waiting on a Rovers green light now).