BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Well no it won't be like Gallagher.We couldn't go back on that deal.

Well maybe I've got this wrong. I was under the impression we had him on loan and he went back to Southampton and we pursued him to return from there.

A lot of people said at the time that he was never worth £5M, me among them.

Have I got that wrong?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Gallagher--he didn't do well and we signed him anyway. 

Not quite the same. Wasn't very good first time he was here on loan yet we signed him after a far worse season at Birmingham anyway.

The Hirst deal isn't win win anyway. Either he flops and we don't want him or he does well and we pay top dollar.

More Lose/pay over the odds.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Well maybe I've got this wrong. I was under the impression we had him on loan and he went back to Southampton and we pursued him to return from there.

Have I got that wrong?

Yeh went Birmingham after us i think 

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

Gallagher did do well in his initial loan spell.

I wouldn't have gone back for him @ 5 million two years later, but he did do well when he spent a year here on loan 

He did OK but not £5Ms worth. Anyway, this deal is done, I hope the lad turns out well and we pay a bargain fee of £5M to get him.

But you can surely understand my scepticism after all we've been through.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

Have I got that wrong?

We had him on loan in our relegation season, he scored 11 league goals.Wasnt a worldie but in terms of a loan he did well.

He went back to Southampton signed a new contract and then spent that season on loan with Birmingham and then we signed him permanently in our second season back in the championship 

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not quite the same. Wasn't very good first time he was here on loan yet we signed him after a far worse season anyway.

The Hirst deal isn't win win anyway. Either he flops and we don't want him or he does well and we pay top dollar.

Well no if he does well you would expect other clubs to be interested.

This option takes away the danger of another team coming in and signing him instead of us after a decent season.

Id rather a more experienced player coming in but if it was a choice of just a loan for Hirst or a loan with an option then the club are far better protected rather than it just being a straight up loan.

1 hour ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

It really doesn't matter who the club bring in, there are some on here that see themselves as resident Curmudgeons and will therefore be determined not to give the Newcomer a chance or cast shade upon the deal.

I often wonder if other club's forums are as Bat shit crazy as this one.

They’re all the same.

Re Jamal Lewis. I've seen him plenty of times playing for N Ireland and he'd be a definite upgrade. Ideally suited to playing wing back as he is very athletic and can run all day. Can also play left back too.

He hasn't had a great time of late through injury, loss of form/confidence etc. and he does have a tendency to play safe too much and pass backwards/sideways but he's got a lot of good attributes. A championship loan might be his best opportunity to rediscover the form that got him his move to Newcastle in the first place. Hopefully Howe agrees!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not quite the same. Wasn't very good first time he was here on loan yet we signed him after a far worse season at Birmingham anyway.

Surely him doing well and us then signing him is a good thing??!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Well no if he does well you would expect other clubs to be interested.

This option takes away the danger of another team coming in and signing him instead of us after a decent season.

Id rather a more experienced player coming in but if it was a choice of just a loan for Hirst or a loan with an option then the club are far better protected rather than it just being a straight up loan.

The bottom line is, I suppose is, is it likely to be a good signing or not? I don't think it is therefore any talk of eventually  paying £2m, £5m £10m, whatever the figure is, is likely to be completely superfluous. Could be totally wrong of course.

Personally I'd rather take a cheap punt on someone now in the hope of getting a bargain rather than wait and see,then pay full whack or even more  on the off chance they turn out to be all right.

95% probability it turns out to be a waste of time imo. Please feel free to quote me on that if I'm wrong.

Poor lad will be getting back in his car and going back Leicester, never seen so much grief over a possible signing.

This lad in link made £14 mill move this summer without ever playing a first team game, scored last night too.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/southampton-man-city-lavia-transfer-27392976

• Like 4