BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Oh, I didn't honestly see that as any sort of priority. We already had 3 years left to run with him, I'd have expected to sort it at the end of this season.

Nonetheless, it's interesting and positive to see the club looking to the longer term and not wanting to repeat the mistakes we have seen with contracts recently, leaking millions away. Just hope there isn't too much of a pay rise involved in this case, as tbh his place in the first team looks less than guaranteed right now. Early in the season though.

The kid is super talented and is only 22 years old. I love the intent of a five year deal- would love to see our other youngsters signed up to similar deals.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, rigger said:

Jake Batty is a viable alternative at left-back. Some people will say he is too young for the first team. Perhaps Wharton has dismissed that myth.

Haven't seen any of Batty...seems highly regarded on here, what's the craic with him? Strengths etc.

5 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Buckley needs to turn the glimpses of being a quality player to something a lot more consistent now. Let's hope the healthy competition in midfield now spurs him on a bit.

Glad to see GB getting stuck into the contract situation now, he's starting to make his stamp on things.

It smacks a bit of Gallagher though giving Buckley a 5 year deal just as he completely runs out of form.

If Broughton manages to tie down players who are actually likely to be sought after like Phillips and Wharton to long term deals and Brereton to any sort of deal that gives us a bit of protection then that will be the time to sit up and take notice.

8 minutes ago, imy9 said:

The kid is super talented and is only 22 years old. I love the intent of a five year deal- would love to see our other youngsters signed up to similar deals.

Definitely good to see a 5 yr contract for an asset (as long as Buckley isn't going backwards, but I suspect it's just a blip). Sets the tone. I don't remember the last time we gave a 5 yr deal (apart from BBD's 4 yr with a 1 yr option).

Would love to see us tie up lots of our young talent to long term deals. I always feel it makes sense if we rate them as they tend to be cheaper deals while they're at that stage, as well as the security factor. Looks like Gregg agrees. Hopefully we won't see a repeat in future under this regime of the contract rebels scenario we had this summer.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It smacks a bit of Gallagher though giving Buckley a 5 year deal just as he completely runs out of form.

If Broughton manages to tie down players who are actually likely to be sought after like Phillips and Wharton to long term deals and Brereton to any sort of deal that gives us a bit of protection then that will be the time to sit up and take notice.

The player and their agent will know he is out of form. In a way it's a good time to tie them down, easier to complete negotiations. The trick is being right in your assumption they'll come good again though...

3 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Haven't seen any of Batty...seems highly regarded on here, what's the craic with him? Strengths etc.

Very quick, good going forward. Probably some defensive improvement needed, but that will come facing seniors. Turned 17 this year, so still very young. Also one that hasn't signed professional Terms. England U17 International. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBar said:

The same professionals who couldn't tie down out most valuable assets and let them walk away for free last season. You could argue that it's easier to get the likes of Buckley tied down because there is no interest, imagine that? Signs the deal no fuss and happy out as he has yet to have a good season and is a passenger.

What extremely high standards? Shit start to this season, shit most of last. Anonymous before that. You cannot say he's ever had a spell of 4-6 months where he's played out of his skin and been the standout player in our team. 

You don’t expect much do you ? Name me another player that played out of his skin for six months.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Exactly, likes of Gally and Buckley more than happy to sign a long contract, if they were as talented as some keep sayin about Buckley they would probably be less inclined to do so.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, briansol said:

Very quick, good going forward. Probably some defensive improvement needed, but that will come facing seniors. Turned 17 this year, so still very young. Also one that hasn't signed professional Terms. England U17 International. 

That's young alright 😬...anyone known to be sniffin around ala Philips? Seems to be a thing these days.

3 minutes ago, BigBar said:

The same professionals who couldn't tie down out most valuable assets and let them walk away for free last season. You could argue that it's easier to get the likes of Buckley tied down because there is no interest, imagine that? Signs the deal no fuss and happy out as he has yet to have a good season and is a passenger.

What extremely high standards? Shit start to this season, shit most of last. Anonymous before that. You cannot say he's ever had a spell of 4-6 months where he's played out of his skin and been the standout player in our team. 

Ok, so firstly….the professionals can’t make anyone do anything. It usually comes down to money and Lenihan, Rothwell, Nyambe and Brereton have all been offered new deals. Them refusing to sign is nothing to do with the opinions of the professionals. Plus none of them (bar BBD) had a single club willing to pay anything for them and had to wait until they no longer commanded a fee. Nyambe completely bombed.

Buckley was regarded by many to have been our best player along with BBD up until Jan. No one covered themselves in glory after that point.

Of course football is all about opinions but honestly, if you don’t rate Buckley as a footballer I’m shocked. He’s got unbelievable ability.

Him, Phillips and Wharton are the only players in our squad that I believe have the x-factor and the potential for long, PL careers. Including BBD and Dack.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ok, so firstly….the professionals can’t make anyone do anything. It usually comes down to money and Lenihan, Rothwell, Nyambe and Brereton have all been offered new deals. Them refusing to sign is nothing to do with the opinions of the professionals. Plus none of them (bar BBD) had a single club willing to pay anything for them and had to wait until they no longer commanded a fee. Nyambe completely bombed.

Buckley was regarded by many to have been our best player along with BBD up until Jan. No one covered themselves in glory after that point.

Of course football is all about opinions but honestly, if you don’t rate Buckley as a footballer I’m shocked. He’s got unbelievable ability.

Him, Phillips and Wharton are the only players in our squad that I believe have the x-factor and the potential for long, PL careers. Including BBD and Dack.

Rothwell could have commanded a fee in January but we let him run his contract down again. The LT reported that Stoke had come in for Nyambe last summer. Brereton is another and much more significant case. This notion that "we can't make anyone do anything" is true to an extent but also flawed because we as a club can act more rationally in line with the supposed business model that we are striving for yet acting totally in the opposite way.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Whalton & Phillips & Garret deserve Chelsea’style 7 year deals ….. Hyam was a strange one only got a 3 year one … needs upgrading .. looks the real deal …. 

Any idea who JDT was referring to yesterday about a signing we missed out on?