BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

Let’s just hope the next five year plan isn’t selling off brockhall and leaving us to rot even more. I’m glad Tony’s going, although I believe his hand was forced more than a choice, but I dread what’s coming next.

Not even which manager comes in, but the way tony been treated and lack of communication not just to us fans but throughout the whole management structure is truly terrifying and the club as a whole is in no fit state to progress. 

How in all honesty can anyone see any positivity when the powers that be can’t even give some clarification to someone who has served you for five years.

Thank god for the Youth academy being ripe otherwise I’d dread to think where we would be

• Like 1

I won't hate on anyone and that includes TM. It's right he's going but that's for football reasons.  I struggle to understand why people pour such vitriol, he's not S. Kean. He's fallen short of my expectations on the pitch but I personally thinks he's a good human being and I'm surprised that Rovers fans who have a reputation for decency feel the need to hate so much.

Anyway let's see how the next guy is received, it will interesting how long some on here give him before he becomes the next target.

For the avoidance of doubt I'm glad he's off, just wishing for a bit more civility from our side of the fence. Hey, call me old fashioned.

• Like 7

The part of the interview where he stated that owners have not been in touch, says it all. Whether you want him gone or not, he at least deserves the courtesy of some contact, to thank him for his service and wish him all the best.

This is typical Venky’s and shows us exactly why we have 3 players leaving for free this summer.

Badly advised, my arse. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I think Mowbray has done well overall. Understandably, there is a lot of frustration at how badly we've crashed since January, but we're as close as we've ever been to promotion under Venkys. Mowbray deserves some credit for that, but also rightly some criticism for not making the most of the positions we've been in. Gut feeling tells me he's held a lot of things together behind the scenes where the owners probably don't have a clue. I think he's been a good bloke, done a decent job, and although he should have gone some time ago, he's come back from those positions and given us some hope where we thought there'd be none (only for it to kill us later, mind). Comparing him to Kean is absolutely ridiculous.

I also think he's done quite well with recruitment. Made an £8m profit on Armstrong, could have made a good £15m-£20m on Dack had it not been for his injuries, and Brereton could still go for a decent profit in summer. Mowbray has had more money to spend than most managers here since Kean, but I would hardly say he's pissed it up the wall as many make out. Perhaps his fault has been tactically, rather than the players at his disposal.

The lack of contract renewals cannot be laid at his door. Many clubs are suffering similar issues with players running down their contracts for a new challenge, so this one is on the owners (and their past financial misgivings).

As club, I feel like we've clawed a lot of esteem back under Mowbray. We were absolutely on a death spiral before he came in, and he deserves credit for seeing us where we are today. I'm hugely gutted and frustrated that we aren't still in the race for an automatic spot given where we were, but I'd have snatched your hand off at being in with a shout of the play-offs with two games to go. It's unlikely, still, but it's the closest we've been for a decade (I think).

The big question is what will Venkys do next? They've got a good opportunity to mark their intent by getting a quality manager in and giving him a sensible budget for next season, but I sit here with virtually no faith that will happen, and somebody will weasel their way into a job that's way over their head. We will see, I suppose.

Pretty close to my own thoughts. I think we really can't be ignoring the seriousness of the drops in form that we've suffered, especially this season, but big picture wise I think your summary is a good one. 

I think he needs to be replaced, but i) it should've been handled more professionally and that's a real worry in itself, and ii) I'm pessimistic that we'll get someone better. Although we'll soon find out. 

5 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Sharpe is saying that he's been trying for 'some time' to get an interview with Swag to discuss TM and also season tickets.  He's had no joy.

Is he just being ignorant?  Secretive?  Or has he no f*cking idea what's going on himself.  Take your pick really as none of them would come as a surprise.

Either way, as people have already said its no way to treat an employee.

I suspect he has no idea either. Craig Honeyman from Brindle might know though.

No way to treat someone who has given 5 years service + a overseen a promotion from L1. An absolutely crazy way to run a multi million pound business, never mind a football club.

TM was obviously uncomfortable with those questions with having two big games coming up, not wanting to unsettle the team more than it already is. That said he doesn't do himself any favours, just as I was developing some sympathy for him he acts like he's doing us all a favour being here. If he'd said he didn't want to comment any more about it he'd have had a lot more respect. No sob stories Tony, you've done well here. Your lad won't be wanting for anything. Enjoy your retirement, it'll be better than any of the people who pay money to watch Rovers week in week out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TimmyJimmy said:

I won't hate on anyone and that includes TM. It's right he's going but that's for football reasons.  I struggle to understand why people pour such vitriol, he's not S. Kean. He's fallen short of my expectations on the pitch but I personally thinks he's a good human being and I'm surprised that Rovers fans who have a reputation for decency feel the need to hate so much.

Think you are confusing a few dozen folk on brfcs with the fanbase…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TimmyJimmy said:

Anyway let's see how the next guy is received, it will interesting how long some on here give him before he becomes the next target.

For the avoidance of doubt I'm glad he's off, just wishing for a bit more civility from our side of the fence. Hey, call me old fashioned.

I don't think most do to be fair. I know he comes in for plenty of stick on here, but I think personal dislike of him is still a pretty niche position amongst the wider fanbase. 

• Like 4

He’s frustrated and annoyed the life out of me for years but he hasn’t done a bad job overall and I don’t hate him. Could he of done better ? Absolutely, should he have done better ? Maybe. Overall he’s done alright. Judging by that interview he is as annoyed and frustrated  as we are with the muppets upstairs. The doing us a favour mentality  and taking no accountability is annoying but if he’s no support from above and has to hold his tongue at his frustration I can see how over five years you build those defences. Either way he doesn’t deserve a statue or booing. A generous round of applause and respect would be the right way to say goodbye . His time is up , he wasn’t perfect but he deserves some mild respect even if it’s for lasting five years under these clowns

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 5

Agree its no way to treat an employee but this is Venkys way and the next manager needs to be aware of this.

New season starts on 30 July 2022 so that's in about 13 weeks. Let's see how quickly, or maybe how close to next season, a new manager is appointed. 

• Like 1

Don't understand why people are annoyed at the owners in this instance.

Mowbray himself has waxed lyrical about the owners.

He's been paid for 5 years of employment when in reality should have had a maximum of 2 years.

He should be thanking them.

I myself will admit I was sad by the interview, but it's good that he will leave for his own mental well-being and the wellbeing of the club.

That said we need a competent CEO and owners that care.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't think most do to be fair. I know he comes in for plenty of stick on here, but I think personal dislike of him is still a pretty niche position amongst the wider fanbase. 

Fair comment, agreed. I was though referring to this board not the wider fan base.

• Like 1

💭 Mowbray: 💭

"These owners don't have a clue what's going on, but they might be watching on Saturday...

Hmmmm, I'm going to get crucified on Saturday by the fans if we slip up. Bournemouth are scary.

What if... what if I let slip a "woe is me" presser on Thursday, and get the fans off my back thinking I'm leaving. Yeah, they might go easy on me and even cheer.

We won't make the playoffs, I won't allow it, those bright lights of the Premiership scare me, plus I can only loan 2 players from Pepé and Jurgs up there. 

Yeahhhh.... Maybe with that support on Saturday we might even win, the fans chant my name, call me their King.

Hell, maybe I get my own lap of honour and the crowd give me a standing ovation out of the stadium. What a hero I'll be for reminding them all I got us promoted 4 years ago (with the biggest L1 budget of all time!)

Venkys will see this, think im beloved by all.... That'll get me a new 3 year contract for sure."

Don't be fooled just yet!!!

• Like 5

I’m not sure that he’s done well during his time here. 

I wouldn’t have settled for what we’ve seen for the last 5 years. 5years is a long time in football and for a manager getting that long I would have expected far better than that. Wasted years in my opinion.

Would anyone settle for another 5 years of the same?

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Perhaps people are annoyed because they know that the owners will have been well aware for a good while now that the present incumbent is going, yet we are once again heading into the close season as a rudderless ship…

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Mowbray himself has waxed lyrical about the owners.

He's been paid for 5 years of employment when in reality should have had a maximum of 2 years.

He should be thanking them.

I myself will admit I was sad by the interview, but it's good that he will leave for his own mental well-being and the wellbeing of the club.

That said we need a competent CEO and owners that care.

Not annoyed on behalf of Mowbray, although he does deserve better in that he has tried his best for over 5 years and he at least deserves a bit of clarity and transparency. It isn't a way to run a football club, as you mention they just don't care. They are the problem and always have been.

Just now, den said:

I’m not sure that he’s done well during his time here. 

I wouldn’t have settled for what we’ve seen for the last 5 years. 5years is a long time in football and for a manager getting that long I would have expected far better than that. Wasted years in my opinion.

Would anyone settle for another 5 years of the same?

No, but then again if you'd have said in the Autumn of the L1 season that in four years we'd be furious by just missing out on the play offs, we might have taken that. Or at least realised that it could be plenty worse. 

He's not a great manager, and there have been at least one too many post-Christmas slumps to want to keep him. But taken in the round, I reckon he can look back with a fair amount of pride at the job that he's done. 

10 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

No, but then again if you'd have said in the Autumn of the L1 season that in four years we'd be furious by just missing out on the play offs, we might have taken that. Or at least realised that it could be plenty worse. 

He's not a great manager, and there have been at least one too many post-Christmas slumps to want to keep him. But taken in the round, I reckon he can look back with a fair amount of pride at the job that he's done. 

He might be proud, but I would want more from the next manager in less than 5 years. 

Mere championship existence interspersed with record winless runs and frequently being reminded that we can’t expect to compete with most of the teams in this league, doesn’t do anything for me.

Edited by den
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, more signs of the continuing shit show of a club that a Venkys owned Rovers represents, so sad.

What is crazy is even recently, we have had numerous people defending them, some sucked in by made up plans, loads still think the club would die without them, the spotlight should be on them rather than the manager. 

Totally absent (their promised visit hasn't materialised) and totally disinterested, leaving a club that can never thrive under them. Anyone expecting an efficient look for a successor should Mowbray leave should think again.

Regarding Mowbray, it will be a natural time for a change assuming we finish just outside the top 6. That in itself would be a good season but of course the second half collapse has been very poor. That said, some of the things that have been said about him in recent weeks and months have definitely over stepped the mark, comparisons to Kean and Coyle, calling him a dickhead etc, he would leave having done what I would say is a decent job, nothing less, and I certainly would hold no bad feeling towards him, people have even questioned his application and commitment which again is totally baseless, I feel like he has tried his best and has been a safe pair of hands but that only takes you so far. He has been here for 5 and a half seasons and radio silence from India is not what he deserves.

Most of us on here have jobs or have had jobs.

Some of us, having given our notice at work, others may have been given their notice.

However its so very hard to focus on your job if you are leaving.

Our fall down the table is a IMO a consequence of players and manager out of contract.

The players won't sign whats been offered . Whilst the manager has not even had that chat.

TM Came in at a time I genuinely feared the club could you just disappear. Crowds were dwindling, product crap, poor appointment after poor appointment both in the boardroom and the dugout. It looked very bleak.

We then got relegated to division 1,  one of the darkest days in our clubs history, and as many who have come before us, there was little guarantee of an immediate return.

Mowbray managed to keep most of the squad together, add a bit more quality, but importantly take the heat away from the discontent in the stands, and if anything by doing so it protected those in the boardroom, and the loons in pune.

We got promoted first time of asking, and not one of  us can deny how great that felt, that night in Doncaster as Mulgrew sent us wild. The welcome home the boys got, a packed out ewood against Oxford.

Its fair to say COVID, stop start seasons, playing with no crowds impacted a couple of seasons. You only need to look at Liverpool with no crowds and liverpool with crowds.

This season despite a much less budget, the boards inability to tie players down to contracts or indeed get them to sign one, it looked for a long period we would get at least the play offs.

We can point to formations, poor team selection, injuries,  suspensions, poor january recruitment , and a whole host of things of why we've fallen dramatically down the table. We can even point to the fact most had us finishing in the lower reaches of the table in August, and where we actually are, we are actually exceeding those expectations.

Having a manager who no-one has had that conversation with will have 100% impacted results on the pitch, how can they expect him to focus? Could you focus?.

The positive shoots rovers had, was the manager had taken the heat off those above, whilst the spin doctors at Ewood have convinced a select few that all is rosie in the garden and so much is happening.

As I said earlier in the week, as fans our focus needs to be on these last two games, but beyond that unless we replace those in the boardroom and ultimately venkys, this will never be our club again.

Yes they pay the bills, yes its been hundreds of millions, but if we have to start again I'd take as the damage is irreparable under their stewardship.

We cannot keep saying, Badly advised, naive, honourable people. They are not novices. 12 years they've owned blackburn rovers. I do think if they fooooook this next appointment up, we will return to a very hostile ewood and get to the point of no return with them

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, den said:

He might be proud, but I would want more from the next manager in less than 5 years. 

Mere championship existence interspersed with record winless runs and frequently being reminded that we can’t expect to compete with most of the teams in this league, doesn’t do anything for me.

Me too. I suppose I'm feeling a lot of trepidation of who might come next, and I'm suddenly much more conscious than you can be looking downwards as well as upwards. Treading water in the Championship isn't good enough for Blackburn Rovers, but we were probably saying the same under Bowyer until a lot worse came round the corner!

• Like 2