BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

11 minutes ago, patrickvalery said:

I feel like I'm in the minority thinking we'd have been much better just offering Mowbray a deal. Whether most agree or disagree that he's done a decent job, the general consensus outside the club is he has performed miracles and has some value. Yet we are letting him walk away and every name I have seen linked (possibly barring Farke) is hardly mouth watering. 

If there is a plan in place then I'd be amazed. Mowbray's warning today in the LT speaks volumes to me. Basically the club are about to get royally fucked and it's future back in the hands of the madhouse. Looks like I'm back to the sleepless nights we suffered years ago. Steady progress was fine for me. 

No no no no and no! Posts like this just show how far the club has fallen and the very very low expectations from some of the fan base. Sad times. 

Edited by benhben
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, patrickvalery said:

I feel like I'm in the minority thinking we'd have been much better just offering Mowbray a deal. Whether most agree or disagree that he's done a decent job, the general consensus outside the club is he has performed miracles and has some value. Yet we are letting him walk away and every name I have seen linked (possibly barring Farke) is hardly mouth watering. 

If there is a plan in place then I'd be amazed. Mowbray's warning today in the LT speaks volumes to me. Basically the club are about to get royally fucked and it's future back in the hands of the madhouse. Looks like I'm back to the sleepless nights we suffered years ago. Steady progress was fine for me. 

I think Mowbray has taken us as far as he can. We'll never know where we would have ended up had he gotten his wish and offloaded Rothwell in January and used the funds to strengthen. Rothwell was also given time off against Luton away, a huge 6-pointer looking at it in hindsight. He also dropped the ball in bringing in another forward, and arguably Hedges has played one good match after signing (vs. PNE). How he has mismanaged Nyambe will never be forgiven in my eyes. Farke has ties with Dortmund and should have good contacts in Germany where there are many talents in the top two divisions. I'm sure he won't mind sunny Blackburn over Krasnodar either.

Problem with that is he might not have wanted anything other than a new big long term contract. Then a bad patch and death spiral next season and we are back to square one. He'd be here for the duration no matter how bad it might get because they'd never sack him and pay him off.

A lot would've agreed to a rolling contract or two year deal 3 months ago but history repeated itself again in even more agonizing fashion.  We just have to move on and might have to take a step back again to go forwards, no guarantees we wouldn't have struggled next season even if he'd stayed.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, patrickvalery said:

You certainly are in the minority on here, yes. May I suggest the Facebook groups? Or the forums of other fans who only see a club that 'nearly' made the playoffs. You may get a kinder response in those areas.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, patrickvalery said:

I must say I bounce between excitement of the potential of a new manager coming in with some pedigree and the horror that in a few years time we could find ourselves in league 2. Hopefully I’m wrong but I think there’s every chance that history will be much kinder to Mowbray than we’re being right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roverandout said:

Steady progress? That's the kind of guff that Mowbray brainwashes fans with. Tell Luton Huddersfield about steady progress.  We have been bottom half midtable every season until this season.  I'm pretty sure this season is an anomaly.  Hes had 5 years and in that time he's had loan deal after loan deal. How's it progress when these players go back to their parent clubs?  Brereton has had the season of his life but there's no guarantee that a: he will be here next season  and b: he will hit those heights again. There's multiple players out of contract so its basically reset thats not taking into account the players whose loan deals expire.  Mowbray has been winging it the whole time and trying to buy himself more time by the young team, patience, steady eddy mantra. Hes had his time here and has only put us back to where he found us, floundering aimlessly in the midtable bottom half region. If he really believed in progress he would have nailed the out of contract players down to new deals. He has run his course and I for one can't wait to see the back of him

I dare say Mowbray “had a plan” to get us back to the PL, only most of us would be dead or too old to appreciate it, once it comes to fruition. 

Wolverhampton were relegated the same year we were; they dropped to League 1 as well, before their notable resurgence under…

Nuno Espírito Santo. 

He’s out there… why has his name not been thrown in the hat? (I apologize in advance off I may have missed it. I haven’t read every page in the thread)

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I dare say Mowbray “had a plan” to get us back to the PL, only most of us would be dead or too old to appreciate it, once it comes to fruition. 

Wolverhampton were relegated the same year we were; they dropped to League 1 as well, before their notable resurgence under…

Nuno Espírito Santo. 

He’s out there… why has his name not been thrown in the hat? (I apologize in advance off I may have missed it. I haven’t read every page in the thread)

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/super-agent-jorge-mendes-changed-fortunes-wolves/?sn-amp

Wolves had a deal with super agent Jorge Mendes who had his pick of the best talent in Portuguese football for a snip of the price. Santo maybe a decent manager, but he was bankrolled to achieve what he did at Wolves. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Yes I'm suprised Nuno Espiririto and also Bielsa's names haven't been mentioned yet

There's currently a handful of good options available, but managers of the calibre 9f these kinds don't come cheap and they expect concrete assurances of having transfer money to spend etc.. 

Bielsa is being linked with jobs on the international scene, I've scene Bolivia and Columbia mentioned in recent weeks. You'd have thought something like that would appeal more to a 66 year old but you never know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

You certainly are in the minority on here, yes. May I suggest the Facebook groups? Or the forums of other fans who only see a club that 'nearly' made the playoffs. You may get a kinder response in those areas.

I'm not looking for a kind response. Couldn't give a toss either way to be honest. I just struggle to understand how anyone can hold Mowbray to account with what he has been working with. Not saying the tailspin in form was acceptable but personally I think there are logical reasons for it to some degree. 

The way I see it the club is at fault for most of our issues rather than TM. And now he's off we're left in their hands once again. In my opinion that's the elephant in the room. This is the litmus test. Have the club and the owners learned any lessons? I have my doubts. So maybe all TM ever did was paper over the cracks. But ignorance is bliss and I'm not looking forward to the next chapter because I suspect it'll be a shit show. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, WacoRover said:

Nuno Espírito Santo. 

We should have been Wolves.

Sadly we got agents and parasites only interested in making money whilst there was chance. That was the only plan and even that might have worked better if at least 1 of them had the first idea what they were doing.

The only football man involved in it all though was a poundshop bibs and cones coach who was prepared to front it out for his share of the spoils.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We should have been Wolves.

Sadly we got agents and parasites only interested in making money whilst there was chance. That was the only plan and even that might have worked better if at least 1 of them had the first idea what they were doing.

With billionaire owners it’s never to late to change the clubs fortunes, but I’d wager hell will freeze over first.

The only question is why won’t they do things differently?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

With billionaire owners it’s never to late to change the clubs fortunes, but I’d wager hell will freeze over first.

If only we knew the answer to that question. Inexplicable as far as I’m concerned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, patrickvalery said:

I'm not looking for a kind response. Couldn't give a toss either way to be honest. I just struggle to understand how anyone can hold Mowbray to account with what he has been working with. Not saying the tailspin in form was acceptable but personally I think there are logical reasons for it to some degree. 

The way I see it the club is at fault for most of our issues rather than TM. And now he's off we're left in their hands once again. In my opinion that's the elephant in the room. This is the litmus test. Have the club and the owners learned any lessons? I have my doubts. So maybe all TM ever did was paper over the cracks. But ignorance is bliss and I'm not looking forward to the next chapter because I suspect it'll be a shit show. 

I definitely worry that whoever replaces Mowbray could be worse. There were things to like about Mowbray and, whilst some on here won't agree, I wouldn't see there being any danger of us going down in the medium-term with him in charge.

The man thing I disagree with though is the highlighted bit. I think there are logical reasons why any manager might find Rovers a tough gig at present, but it's really hard to come up with any logical explanations about why we (and crucially, Mowbray's other clubs) go on these horrible runs of form every Christmas. It's such a specific pattern which has been replicated over multiple seasons with multiple groups of players, and as we've seen is enough to completely undermine a promotion bid. 

I'd be happy to say there's been progress of sorts under Mowbray, but these runs of form will always put a ceiling on our ambitions so long as they continue. That's why he needs replacing, but I accept that we could easily get this wrong like we did with Coyle and suddenly Mowbray wouldn't seem so terrible. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

Maybe fear.

I think they thought they bought a 'marketing vehicle' which would help make Venky's a recognisable brand world wide.

Sadly, I think we all know what happened next - they were naive and badly advised (and perhaps still are) with too many in it for themselves.  As a result, our fortunes plummeted and with £200million down the drain and seemingly no end to this hemorrhaging of money they are left with, arguably, a basket case of a club.

They must sit there wondering what they have done, why and what they do next.

20 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Probably not, so that worries me a bit. That said, there are a growing number of examples of the 'apprentices' of certain coaches getting gigs elsewhere and doing well. Wagner and Critchley have both worked under Klopp. Arteta and Vieira under Guardiola. The guy at Huddersfield under Bielsa.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but there's a logic to it. 

Sorry too many examples of ones that dont make it - still getting over Kidd 😉

5 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I definitely worry that whoever replaces Mowbray could be worse. There were things to like about Mowbray and, whilst some on here won't agree, I wouldn't see there being any danger of us going down in the medium-term with him in charge.

The man thing I disagree with though is the highlighted bit. I think there are logical reasons why any manager might find Rovers a tough gig at present, but it's really hard to come up with any logical explanations about why we (and crucially, Mowbray's other clubs) go on these horrible runs of form every Christmas. It's such a specific pattern which has been replicate over multiple seasons with multiple groups of players, and as we've seen is enough to completely undermine a promotion bid. 

I'd be happy to say there's been progress of sorts under Mowbray, but these runs of form will always put a ceiling on our ambitions so long as they continue. That's why he needs replacing, but I accept that we could easily get this wrong like we did with Coyle and suddenly Mowbray wouldn't seem so terrible. 

I do agree about TM not taking us down in the short term - but feel it may be a death of a thousand cuts if he were to continue in charge. You can see how the fan base is dwindling - and I fear if TM continued in charge, even more apathy would set in. I personally think he has done a good job in many ways - but has possibly over stayed his welcome.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Gav said:

They seem to have become accustomed to and comfortable with losing 15/20 million through the books every year.

There never seems to be a pressing need to change that from their end the only wobbles are when FFP raises its head. From this end well if you have a set of people sat there making good wages as things are, why would they press for change ?

Between the two camps the club is suspended in the middle going nowhere because nobody will take sole charge and gab it by the nuts.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I see a huge amount of criticism for Simon Grayson for example. Got Blackpool promoted, got Leeds promoted, got Huddersfield promoted, kept Preston safe from a relegation scrap they were in when he joined, playoffs next season, promoted season after. For me, a few clubs sacked him prematurely because they got big (deluded) ideas about what their level in the Championship was (especially Preston, although they recruited quite well managerially since). Then went to basketcase Sunderland in 2017 and has had a poor record since. And I'd agree, not someone to go for now, but some of the comments about him are OTT.

Did you see the Netflix documentary on Sunderland? There were scenes when he was speaking in front of the team and the players looked really bored. He didn't come across as very inspiring at all.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Maybe fear.

I think they thought they bought a 'marketing vehicle' which would help make Venky's a recognisable brand world wide.

Sadly, I think we all know what happened next - they were naive and badly advised (and perhaps still are) with too many in it for themselves.  As a result, our fortunes plummeted and with £200million down the drain and seemingly no end to this hemorrhaging of money they are left with, arguably, a basket case of a club.

They must sit there wondering what they have done, why and what they do next.

When they put their name to the purchase of Rovers they thought they could stay in the PL and get into Europe on 5 million a year and by 'leasing' players.

More pig shit thick than naive.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, patrickvalery said:

That won't be a popular view on here but it's a legitimate one. This time next season, after 12 months of turmoil with Rovers relegated back to to League One, we could be harking back to the halcyon days under Mowbray. It's not inconceivable and although I think his time is up, sometimes it's better the devil you know. In most cases, hiring a new manager is a gamble and like playing cards - do you stick or twist? 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I do agree about TM not taking us down in the short term - but feel it may be a death of a thousand cuts if he were to continue in charge. You can see how the fan base is dwindling - and I fear if TM continued in charge, even more apathy would set in. I personally think he has done a good job in many ways - but has possibly over stayed his welcome.

The current situation has got a lot of parallels with when Bowyer left. Manager did okay - not brilliant, not terrible. Brought a lot of decent players in and a lot of rubbish. General feeling was the squad was good enough to make playoffs so fanbase got frustrated with always just being outside. General feeling (that I shared then and share now) to see him go so we can "kick on".  Two terrible appointments by Venkys in Lambert and Coyle, a relegation and then Mowbray getting us eventually back to where Bowyer had us. That cycle to return to Championship playoff perennial hopefuls took us 6/7 years.

History is more likely to repeat itself than not imo.

• Like 2