BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

On 02/05/2022 at 12:54, 1874 said:
Blackburn Rovers Manager Games Win Percentage From  To
Tony Mowbray 252 41% (and counting) February 2017 Present Day
Owen Coyle 37 30% June 2016 February 2017
Paul Lambert  33 36% November 2015 May 2016
Gary Bowyer 118 35% May 2013 November 2015
Michael Appleton 15 27% January 2013 March 2013
Gary Bowyer 4 75% December 2012 January 2013
Henning Berg  10 10% October 2012 December 2012
Eric Black  6 33% September 2012 October 2012
Steve Kean 74 28% December 2010 September 2012

Bowyer's record surprised me - 35% is poor considering the players he had at his disposal IMO. Worth noting that Mowbray's win percentage drops to 35.5% if you discount the season in league one - which none of the other managers had. 

8 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I still think the biggest issue with our fullbacks final ball is they have nobody to hit. The last striker we had who you could try and pick out with an early cross was Gestede. 

But it wouldn't matter if we had the biggest and best target men in the box, if the people delivering the ball into the box keep hitting the first defender.

45 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

In the 2020/21 season Farke bought 9 players from Europe....🤷‍♂️  I think you've been swallowing Tescodon's bullshit for too long as to why we can can't purchase players....

With a net spend of £57m... Like I said, 9 times out of 10 if you're looking in Europe and they're qualifying for GBE - they're COSTLY players.

We certainly won't be spending £9.9m on a 19-year old left-back from a top Greek side playing in Europe.

Edited by JoeH

48 minutes ago, JoeH said:

With a net spend of £57m... Like I said, 9 times out of 10 if you're looking in Europe and they're qualifying for GBE - they're COSTLY players.

We certainly won't be spending £9.9m on a 19-year old left-back from a top Greek side playing in Europe.

The era og cheap imports from Europe is over unfer the point system post - Brexit. Several of the players thay Farke signef for Norwich including Pukki would not br allowed now. It needd a manager with a forensic knowledge of play in the lower leagues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blondie said:

Signed by Mowbray from Fleetwood where he played as a wing-back,  played in a back four by Mowbray.

Back to wing-back at Luton and looking a better player.

He'd fit our current system (well the back 3 we've just dropped) much better than the 4-3-3.

Ask him to he an athlete up and down the flank - something Pickering struggles with.

Granted his final ball is still mostly shocking.

1 hour ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Could see Carter and Wharton being our two main central defenders next season. Carter had a pretty decent loan spell at pompey unless we bring someone more experienced in. Not sure lenihan will stay, surely he can get more money at a bigger club better-funded club in the championship.

Fixed it for you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

I think Bell got a really rough ride here. He wasn’t great but I didn’t think he was anywhere near as bad as he was made out to be.

Granted he did have the occasional horror show, but which defender during that time didn’t. It got to the point where he’d have to be flawless to get a 6/10 in most peoples eyes, and exceptional to get a 7.

He’s probably kicked on, but there’s probably a bit of “you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone” too. Same with Raya. I expect it will be the same with some of the others too, particularly Nyambe.

I think the opposite, like with many departing players, I think people forget how poor a player is once he has not worn a Rovers shirt for a while. Another example of that would be Ruben Rochina.

Bell was rubbish, he may well be in general doing better at Luton and it shows how poor a League it is quality wise that players like him and many others easily get contracts at this level. That being said, when I have seen Luton play this season he has not impressed, in the last game Nathan Jones was going crazy at him at one point.

I also don't think he had many horror shows, I just thought that he was consistently below par, technically so par regularly slicing and mis-hitting the ball out, offered nothing going forward and not one to be in the trenches with, often allowing crosses to go in and not good when the chips were down. Pickering is an improvement and there are big question marks about him.

• Like 3

Bell was dog shit here. End of. 3/4/5/6/7/8 have 9 at the back if you want; he was still shit. Can’t defend and can’t attack.

46 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Kean on Charlton's short list for Manager's job!!!!!

Daily record describes his managerial acumen as leaving lot to be desired. Somebody with their finger on the pulse there!

• Like 1

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/charlton-athletic-add-54-year-old-former-premier-league-boss-to-managerial-shortlist/

Perversely I do want to see him get another managers job in England, just to see what happens! 

Just feel gutted for the fans of which club he goes to, although if it was a Southern or Yorkshire club I wouldn't care less 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JHRover said:

A while ago I suggested that the reason Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe were leaving was because the Club and owners had done nothing to keep them. That the situation had been allowed to drift by silent owners and that whatever offers were put to them, if any, were derisory.

I was shot down for that suggestion, accused of creating conspiracy theories and that because Mowbray and Waggott had said that 'improved' offers had been made to these players that we should believe them and that it was actually money motivated players and their agents that were the only issues here.

And now we see our manager publicly admitting that he has had absolutely no communication from the owners or their representative on his future, his contract and that he hasn't spoken properly to the owners for a long time, save for a 'best of luck' message from Balaji recently. 

I'm afraid Mowbray's comments this week, and the continuing silence from the Club, only support my 'conspiracy theory' that the owners have turned the phone and taps off and have left the club to drift over the last couple of seasons. That is the reason key players are out of contract and our manager seems to be off, not because they've told him this or they want to make a change, but because it is just silence.

Sorry JH, I often enjoy your posts, but that isn't anywhere near as conclusive as you seem to think it is.

Mowbray never pretended he had been made a contract offer. He always said it hadn't happened and wasn't a priority as far as he was concerned. The players, on the other hand, he and Waggott repeatedly said offers had been made. The players haven't signed, which suggests the offers weren't great (a £1 p/w improvement would still be an improved offer btw), but there is absolutely nothing so far to suggest they weren't made at all.

If you insist that these offers haven't been made, when there is precisely zero proof they haven't, then yes, you are indulging in conspiracy theories. That doesn't mean you're wrong, but a conspiracy theory it is indeed, until proven. If an agent comes out after the player leaves and says 'actually my client wasn't offered a new contract', or the player says the same, then you have a leg to stand on. Until then, it's speculation at best, and any triumphalism is premature. Meanwhile, some other contracts have been extended (Kaminski, Gally), and these weren't even mentioned in public beforehand as far as I'm aware, which kills the notion that the owners have turned off the taps to the extent that new contracts can't be signed.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Sorry JH, I often enjoy your posts, but that isn't anywhere near as conclusive as you seem to think it is.

Mowbray never pretended he had been made a contract offer. He always said it hadn't happened and wasn't a priority as far as he was concerned. The players, on the other hand, he and Waggott repeatedly said offers had been made. The players haven't signed, which suggests the offers weren't great (a £1 p/w improvement would still be an improved offer btw), but there is absolutely nothing so far to suggest they weren't made at all.

If you insist that these offers haven't been made, when there is precisely zero proof they haven't, then yes, you are indulging in conspiracy theories. That doesn't mean you're wrong, but a conspiracy theory it is indeed, until proven. If an agent comes out after the player leaves and says 'actually my client wasn't offered a new contract', or the player says the same, then you have a leg to stand on. Until then, it's speculation at best, and any triumphalism is premature. Meanwhile, some other contracts have been extended (Kaminski, Gally), and these weren't even mentioned in public beforehand as far as I'm aware, which kills the notion that the owners have turned off the taps to the extent that new contracts can't be signed.

Travis and Carter also signed new long term  deals.

Of course we would have made the trio offers, but like you say could have been a minimal increase.

Been speculated on here that we wouldn't offer Nyambe terms in line with first team regulars due to a policy of players that have come through the academy, that must have changed to see Travis sign on for another 4 years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

Or are his agents trying to force Hibs to get him first?

Kean out.

If must be i mean just why would anybody entertain the guy.

Not a young coach in waiting anymore, not been on the touchline at this level for a decade, been playing at heading up part time teams funded by billionaires in non league style football.  Now pretending to be a Scottish academy director, seriously damaged goods in England

And of course he is basically clueless.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alcd said:

The era og cheap imports from Europe is over unfer the point system post - Brexit. Several of the players thay Farke signef for Norwich including Pukki would not br allowed now. It needd a manager with a forensic knowledge of play in the lower leagues. 

I'm not an expert or anything, but I reckon someone like Pukki would probably still get a work permit. Regular in his national team, playing in a top flight European league, could be enough?

Also worth pointing out, if we're talking about Farke's signings from 2020-2021, then the summer signings would've been under the old rules. New rules came in January 1, 2021. 

Someone on here mentioned rumours of Woodgate - Sharpe seems to confirm:

"Yet one man likely to be in the conversation who has had little mention so far is Jonathan Woodgate".

LT article posted 3 hours ago.

Why, why, why?

IMO, would be disastrous appointment.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

"Yet one man likely to be in the conversation who has had little mention so far is Jonathan Woodgate".

Why, why, why?

Yep, I've been told he's deffinatley being considered. 

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Why, why, why?

i think he`s more content with his media work thank ****,did`nt work out at middlesborough and could`nt get bournemouth promoted on a large budget,they obviously did`nt think much of him and quickly discarded him for scott parker,don`t think he would work out tbh,to similar a situation to his middlesborough job,not much money and the club needed a rebuild,he failed

• Like 2