BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

15 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Don’t count your chickens (sorry).

Tomasson hasn’t been appointed yet. Rich Sharpe is only reporting that we have finished the interview process, which suggests there is still a long way to go with our dysfunctional setup. Negotiating terms could still be a stumbling block for any appointment, and I’m positive Honeyman and Horner will have a last throw of the dice.

Coming up with songs for a new manager has already blown up in some faces. There were people making Farke their profile picture. At least Simon Grayson is out of the running now, but let’s not be getting too giddy until anything is official.

I’m now just hoping for someone better than I feared. Underwhelmed is better than apoplectic. 

Absolutely agree, and the likes of Tomasson won't come cheap, and he will want assurances. This could run for a while yet.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Think it might be the 7th time I’ve seen Kidd’s name so far on this thread. How that is still relevant to modern football now is beyond me personally but plenty bring him up so I’m clearly on my own there.

Good footballers don’t necessarily make good managers, so it’s pointless bringing up their trophies etc won as a player, pretty simple point, no?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

When an airliner falls out of the sky, it isn't usually because of a single catastrophic failure, but the combination of a number of contributory factors that lead to the craft being fatally compromised.

Its more likely the engines have failed (or run out of fuel)

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Good players don’t necessarily make good managers, pretty simple point, no?

Nor good assistants. Those are the two contexts in which Kidd is brought up as an example. It's not to say they can't be successes, either. It's just for when people talk about prospective managers with no managerial experience and talk like a great playing career and/or being a number 2 at a big club compensates for that lack of managerial experience.

It doesn't. We shouldn't ever appoint a manager who hasn't managed. Let other clubs take that risk. Sometimes they'll reap the benefits but more often it will go wrong.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

JDT's representatives may have leaked the information about his talks with Rovers to the Danish press for a reason, possibly similar to Farke and Carvalhal, both of whom I think used Rovers as leverage for other deals. It's one reason why I'm not totally convinced it will be JDT.

I don't think either would have stooped to that, both are experienced and well known in football circles, they wither got better offers cash wise, CC has shown the limit of his ambition whereas DF has gone to a club with real aspirations

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gav said:

The ship has sailed, the best candidates have said

"No thanks, we're not working for this lot on adopting the chicken farm road to success" and sadly, gone elsewhere JBiz.

We are now trying to make a silk purse sow's ear, as we have done for 11yrs, its pathetic.

Whilst I understand exasperation and terminal disappointment in not only this process, but the club as a whole, I don't think we're yet in the territory of being outraged, perhaps reserve that until the appointment is made.  I suspect this anger is probably still the Mowbray mourning process as much as anything, along with at least a vague hint of smug justification towards those that vehemently opposed him, particularly those that constantly said "anybody but him".... Which was ridiculous in itself as we might well discover the hard way. 

If it is Tomasson, I don't suspect anyone on here knows enough about his managerial career or him as a person to make a judgement or prediction of any real substance. 

He'd have my support undoubtedly and based on his status within the game, rightly or wrongly I'd be intrigued and probably more excited than if a Mowbray MkII was appointed.

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

The ship has sailed, the best candidates have said

"No thanks, we're not working for this lot and adopting the chicken farm 5 steps to success" and sadly, gone elsewhere JBiz.

We are now trying to make a silk purse sow's ear, as we have done for 11yrs, its pathetic.

Have you ever thought that the "best" candidates" as named on here and in media are not always the better fit for the club? I mean, I have been in jobs where the stand out favourites have actually missed the job because a lesser candidate actually showed an alternative view to the job which might just be to the benefit of the club.

All this nonsense about wages being an issue, all this nonsense about Benson - Lowe I will have/understand and the nonsense about being a lack of ambition/money or interest from those within the club is total bullshit - yes we have seen over the years the club spiral into chaos but right now, after a pandemic of massive proportions, the club is on a stable footing, we are not facing issues with FFP, we are not facing administration or a points deduction, we are not a Derby County, Bristol C or any of the other clubs that are facing financial investigations.

Yes, there are issues with season ticket/match prices, and I for one sincerely hope the club are listening to the likes of RT and I am disappointed that so far, I haven't seen a response to the letter that was so eloquently put together by those with a real concern.

So, as for the new manager to be, it isn't a grayson, it isn't a coyle wannabee cheapee, its looking like an alternative vision, something new so lets see how it pans out. There is no ruish to get the manager behind the desk next week, its a conditioning week, the real training starts in 10 days, that's when the manager needs to be in.

• Like 3

Ultimately it doesn’t matter who we have as DoF, manager and assistant if they’re given no funds to spend. The squad has a decent nucleus but with a shortened break this year I can see injuries being massive throughout the division next season and we can’t be found wanting. We have no RB with championship experience, 2 CB’s with it (one of whom could leave in Ayala), a left back who thinks he’s better in CM where he’s shite, and 2 actual CM’s, one of which played up front most of the year. 

On paper a 4231 of:

Kaminski

Brown Ayala Wharton Pickering

Travis Buckley

Markanday Dack Dolan

Gallagher

Doesnt look too bad, however there’s a distinct lack of goals and little to nothing to follow them from the bench. If we go into the season with the squad as it is now, we’re in for a relegation scrap.

We need some signings big time and that work needs to start even without a coach in place imo and let the new guy bring in the ‘bits around the edges’ after we’ve addressed the gaping holes. We should’ve been all over free agents like Aden Flint (gone to stoke), Conor Hourihane, Gary Cahill, Romaine Sawyers, Kristian Pedersen, Jed Wallace etc. 

If it is to be JDT, there’s a real chance he won’t be in charge for another 2/3 weeks with the delays in work permits. Kompany is still waiting for his at Burnley and that’s been the best part of 3 weeks and they find themselves in a similar boat, think i saw they released 14 players yesterday including Mee and Tarkowski? (What a shame 🤣)

12 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

All this nonsense about wages being an issue, all this nonsense about Benson - Lowe I will have/understand and the nonsense about being a lack of ambition/money or interest from those within the club is total bullshit

Lol!! Yeh, sure, ok.

8 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Have you ever thought that the "best" candidates" as named on here and in media are not always the better fit for the club? I mean, I have been in jobs where the stand out favourites have actually missed the job because a lesser candidate actually showed an alternative view to the job which might just be to the benefit of the club.

All this nonsense about wages being an issue, all this nonsense about Benson - Lowe I will have/understand and the nonsense about being a lack of ambition/money or interest from those within the club is total bullshit 

So, as for the new manager to be, it isn't a grayson, it isn't a coyle wannabee cheapee, its looking like an alternative vision, something new so lets see how it pans out. There is no ruish to get the manager behind the desk next week, its a conditioning week, the real training starts in 10 days, that's when the manager needs to be in.

I'm sorry 1864 but you've now turned into nothing more that BRFCs 'clickbait' in my opinion, you're claims get even more outlandish by the day. 

If we had any ambition at all we'd have a top class manager in the building right now, looking to bring in new recruits for the new season, instead we are lurching from one third rate cheap candidate to another, its a bloody disgrace and you're pearls of wisdom are about to be shown up for that they are, absolute bullshit. 

You're clearly happy with mediocrity, many of us are not. 

• Like 7

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Its more likely the engines have failed (or run out of fuel)

Which is usually due to the combination of a number of contributory factors that lead to the craft being fatally compromised...

31 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Good footballers don’t necessarily make good managers, so it’s pointless bringing up their trophies etc won as a player, pretty simple point, no?

I just find it mad that he's come up so often, it's 2022, as a reference point it's just really outdated for me.

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'm sorry 1864 but you've now turned into nothing more that BRFCs 'clickbait' in my opinion, you're claims get even more outlandish by the day. 

If we had any ambition at all we'd have a top class manager in the building right now, looking to bring in new recruits for the new season, instead we are lurching from one third rate cheap candidate to another, its a bloody disgrace and you're pearls of wisdom are about to be shown up for that they are, absolute bullshit. 

Though even 1864 has admitted STs are not going well, so things must be even worse than I thought on that score…

18 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Ultimately it doesn’t matter who we have as DoF, manager and assistant if they’re given no funds to spend. The squad has a decent nucleus but with a shortened break this year I can see injuries being massive throughout the division next season and we can’t be found wanting. We have no RB with championship experience, 2 CB’s with it (one of whom could leave in Ayala), a left back who thinks he’s better in CM where he’s shite, and 2 actual CM’s, one of which played up front most of the year. 

On paper a 4231 of:

Kaminski

Brown Ayala Wharton Pickering

Travis Buckley

Markanday Dack Dolan

Gallagher

Doesnt look too bad, however there’s a distinct lack of goals and little to nothing to follow them from the bench. If we go into the season with the squad as it is now, we’re in for a relegation scrap.

We need some signings big time and that work needs to start even without a coach in place imo and let the new guy bring in the ‘bits around the edges’ after we’ve addressed the gaping holes. We should’ve been all over free agents like Aden Flint (gone to stoke), Conor Hourihane, Gary Cahill, Romaine Sawyers, Kristian Pedersen, Jed Wallace etc. 

If it is to be JDT, there’s a real chance he won’t be in charge for another 2/3 weeks with the delays in work permits. Kompany is still waiting for his at Burnley and that’s been the best part of 3 weeks and they find themselves in a similar boat, think i saw they released 14 players yesterday including Mee and Tarkowski? (What a shame 🤣)

Doesn’t look a bad side that, just missing our top scorer from the starting 11 😉

30 minutes ago, Gav said:

Top managers don't fit the club though apparently so no point the owners paying for one. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1