BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

2 hours ago, OsloRover said:

Deila is going to Standard Liege and is out of the running at Rovers.

Was always going to be the case. Liege actually have some ambition.

It's why I'm not getting drawn in to the JDT talk. This can easily go the same way as Farke, Carvalhal and Deila. If he is the man to come in, I will back him. However, I can't shake off the idea of a potential sting in the tail. Woodgate. Boro connections and no doubt will be championed by the Boro supporting agency man.

On the off chance that Vineeth or any family member is looking in, do not go for Woodgate. He would be an awful appointment. Him playing for Real Madrid 15 years ago means nothing! He was one of their worst ever signings. Oh, and tell the agent to F.O, his opinion isn't needed.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hasn't Kompany and his is taking ages.

Think that's because some of the spell was as player manager and there's been some confusion surrounding the rulings on things like that

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not specifically those 2, but I and many others wanted a manager with a good and relevant track record. Farke was an ambitious one and ultimately if he had that Bundesliga interest from the start, although maybe it only materialised due to our sluggishness, then fait enough, difficult to compete. The Carvalhal one seems more complex as like most humans he has gone for financial reasons, are we offering low wages? Limiting him on his staff? Could we have got him if the owners had any genuine intention, perhaps. Even beyond those 2, there are the likes of Dyche, Jokanovic and Wagner still out of work, im not sure if all (or indeed any) are realistic, Dyche is the ideal candidate but the most unlikely, but that is the calibre of manager I wanted.

Jokanovic and Wagner might not want to come here for different reasons. They might not even applied for the head job coach. 

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You've said Tomasson would be "interesting" but for me it would be underwhelming, an unknown quantity IF indeed he is the man which is far from confirmed. His CV is limited and mixed, he has a relegation on his CV and a second short and unsuccessful spell as a manager on there too. He seemingly did well at Malmo winning 2 titles on the back of a 2nd place finish before him (and they are 5th at the moment) albeit I looked into it a bit and it seems like they had much bigger resources than the competitors, something which is not comparable to the job he will have here. I also noticed that a few Malmo fans had tweeted underneath and the common consensus was that he was very reliant on individual quality winning games and they questioned his tactical flexibility, with one also saying that he is reluctant to bring through youngsters. Ultimately though, barely anyone will have genuinely followed his previous jobs especially in the Swedish League so he is very much an unknown.

I think its will be interesting option and something very different for Rovers to do. Since his appointment I think Gregg Broughton has had a massive impact on the recruitment of our new head coach and he will know people there and if he thinks Jon Dahl Tomasson should be our next head coach, then fine. 

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He (or another) may benefit simply because a manager is finally appointed after a seemingly farcically long search for one, although even if he has been selected, waiting for those bastards in India and then a work permit creates two further delays when time is of the essence.

The work permit shouldn't take that long and maybe Rovers have already applied for the work permit if has been chosen to be our next head coach. 

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am fed up of people saying things like "stop being negative" and "get behind him" if he is appointed, as if that is in doubt. People can critique a manager and indeed be underwhelmed by his potential appointment whilst still backing him if and when he comes in.

I have not mention anything like that but every Supporter is entitled to their view. 

18 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Should be looking to improve on last season's 8th place?

It won't be the same team that achieved 8th place last season.

Lenihen and Rothwell already gone from that team.Nyambe and Brererton most likely to follow.

That's 4 of our better players gone ,including Club captain and our top scorer.Add Khadra and Van Hecke.

6 players from our strongest 11 last season gone.Whoever the new man Is he has a big rebuild on his hands can't see us being near playoff contention next season 

well my view is we should be looking to finish in the playoffs this coming season. Players will go and players will come. None of those who have gone or might go can't be replace by us. 

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Where have you read that a work permit for Tomasson would be straight forward because he has worked 2 full seasons? Hasn't Kompany and his is taking ages.

I am not convinced that it is a good job hence why we seem to be fishing in the market of managers who have been working in minor leagues. It will be difficult to improve upon 8th considering the departures and of course furthermore pending any budget limitations.

Asked a friend who works in Football recruitment business. 

JoeH has answered your point on Kompany. 

Firstly, Nothing wrong with looking at head coaches from overseas or different parts of Europe espically given that our new Director of football Gregg Broughton has vast experience of that market. Also we don't even know what the budget is for the coming season. We need to smart and organised in the transfer market. probably need around 6/7 signings whilst bringing Brown, Vale, Phillips and Garrett into the first team squad for the coming season

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well my view is we should be looking to finish in the playoffs this coming season. Players will go and players will come. None of those who have gone or might go can't be replace by us. 

Firstly, Nothing wrong with looking at head coaches from overseas or different parts of Europe espically given that our new Director of football Gregg Broughton has vast experience of that market. Also we don't even know what the budget is for the coming season. We need to smart and organised in the transfer market. probably need around 6/7 signings whilst bringing Brown, Vale, Phillips and Garrett into the first team squad for the coming season

Give Phillips and Garrett a chance will you, they are promising young talents but I’d much rather them be out on loan than sat on the bench in a league they aren’t ready for yet. 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Jokanovic and Wagner might not want to come here for different reasons. They might not even applied for the head job coach. 

I think its will be interesting option and something very different for Rovers to do. Since his appointment I think Gregg Broughton has had a massive impact on the recruitment of our new head coach and he will know people there and if he thinks Jon Dahl Tomasson should be our next head coach, then fine. 

The work permit shouldn't take that long and maybe Rovers have already applied for the work permit if has been chosen to be our next head coach. 

I have not mention anything like that but every Supporter is entitled to their view. 

My point was, the hope was for a proven manager to push us on upon the announcement of Mowbray's departure. Those sort of names are what we wanted so if we ended with someone much more unknown and much less proven, it would be underwhelming, surely you can understand that. We can speculate whether those names would be interested, firstly we shouldn't limit ourselves only to people who apply, getting the best man often requires being proactive and looking yourself and convincing someone to join.

Broughton has been here a few days, the second interviews were done this week on the back of the first ones two weeks prior, with seemingly any choice taken away from us with better candidates going elsewhere during the long process. I very much doubt that he has had a major impact if any.

Can you apply for a work permit without actively having chosen to employ a person, which can't happen until Venkys approve? There will surely be a delay, how long is purely speculation but its not ideal IF indeed he has been chosen.

That wasn't aimed at you on this occasion, those sort of quotes are widespread.

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The manager should be allowed to decide which if any of those youngsters come into the first team. A huge influx of rookies filling gaps left by proven performers does not equate to a likely improvement in league position in my opinion. Some of them need loan spells.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

As the owners biggest supporter on here and someone who seems to struggle reading between the lines, this post is predictable.

You started off talking about Sean Dyche, you’re now settling for JDT, I’ll let the board decide who is on the wind up and who isn’t.

Never mind "reading between the lines" you seem to be having difficulty comprehending what I posted in black and white.

Would JDT have been my first choice? Of course not. I'd have been (very) happy with Dyche or Farke. But at least if it is JDT I would still regard that as a vast improvement on a "Mowbray Mark 2" appointment like Pardew or Adkins.

And I would be prepared to give JDT a chance to show us what he can do unlike you who seem to be dismissing him out of hand before he even gets here.

Has the recruitment process been a shambles?  Of course it has. But that imo is what you get when you leave Waggott in charge of anything.

5 hours ago, Gav said:

The ship has sailed, the best candidates have said

"No thanks, we're not working for this lot and adopting the chicken farm 5 steps to success" and sadly, gone elsewhere JBiz.

We are now trying to make a silk purse sow's ear, as we have done for 11yrs, its pathetic.

You know as much as I do about what is going on behind the scenes. Fuck all.

I can understand your concerns but I just don’t share this constant need to moan and bitch about something that’s not even happened yet.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Should be looking to improve on last season's 8th place?

It won't be the same team that achieved 8th place last season.

Lenihen and Rothwell already gone from that team.Nyambe and Brererton most likely to follow.

That's 4 of our better players gone ,including Club captain and our top scorer.Add Khadra and Van Hecke.

6 players from our strongest 11 last season gone.Whoever the new man Is he has a big rebuild on his hands can't see us being near playoff contention next season 

Well we will (fingers crossed) have dack back for a full season, Carter can step up and Wharton should be even better. (Ash Phillips could be another to get game time). Rothwell is not a miss and Khadra scored about 4 goals and  lost the ball more than he did more step overs. We will maybe need another loan centre back (or Cahill on a free if he hasn't retired).  We will need a few bodies for sure but let's hope the DOF already has some options as well as the incoming coach.  I also think Gallagher can score more if played centrally. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Butty said:

Give Phillips and Garrett a chance will you, they are promising young talents but I’d much rather them be out on loan than sat on the bench in a league they aren’t ready for yet. 

How do you know they're not ready?

• Like 2

What we need is the next Eddie Howe like he did at Bournemouth.

If Johnson had stayed boss of the U23s or been given a role as no 2 or 3 on the touchline for a few years then maybe he'd have been the man.

It was an odd move that for numerous reasons given his stock was so high at the time. He must like the role he does now though to have stuck at it and taken it in the first place.

The bookies odds (I know I know) seem to find it reasonably hard to separate JDT and Deila (who seemingly is off to Standard Liege so for what it's worth, they must not regard JDT as anything approaching a certainty yet.

What puzzles me about JDT is why he left Malmo after two successful title winning years and has subsequently been out of work for 6 months. 

Does anyone know the circumstances of him leaving? Was the break orchestrated by the Club or him? If the latter, did he have a better job lined up which never materialised or did he just fancy a break from football?

• Like 2

https://www.foottheball.com/manager-in-focus/who-is-jon-dahl-tomasson-ac-milan-legend-manager-malmo-tactical-analysis-champions-league/amp

Couple of concerns in that article:

"Predicting the way Tomasson will set out his squad ahead of a game is almost unpredictable.

Malmo plays a myriad of formations depending on their opponents but Tomasson always makes sure that they are well spread all over the pitch and utilise the wide areas to the fullest. Even if they are playing with 3 centre-backs, they use their full backs like wingers and their go-to attacking instinct while on the front foot."

So Mowbray all.over again, constant tinkering.

"Although defensively, their performance hasn’t improved much, they have started scoring more goals under Tomasson and that is the only thing that matters at the end of the day."

Sounds like another who doesn't know how to organise a defence.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

So Mowbray all.over again, constant tinkering

The reason last season went tits up is because Mowbrays tactics were sussed out and he refused to adapt. So no, not really Mowbray all over again. A manager SHOULD adapt tactics depending on opposition.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Gavrover said:

Well we will (fingers crossed) have dack back for a full season, Carter can step up and Wharton should be even better. (Ash Phillips could be another to get game time). Rothwell is not a miss and Khadra scored about 4 goals and  lost the ball more than he did more step overs. We will maybe need another loan centre back (or Cahill on a free if he hasn't retired).  We will need a few bodies for sure but let's hope the DOF already has some options as well as the incoming coach.  I also think Gallagher can score more if played centrally. 

What islander200 said was right, you cannot doubt that a huge part of our team last season has departed, all for free.

The counter argument to this always tends to be based on assumptions and hopes with little if any evidence.

Carter has had 2 good loan spells but was shaky in the Championship in the past. Hopefully he is now capable, Phillips is a totally untested kid seemingly growing into his body but expecting either to fill a significant chunk of the void left by Van Hecke and Lenihan leaving is asking for trouble.

Gallagher has hid behind this theory that he has been utilised wrongly but when he plays central he is never going to be a prolific goalscorer, plus he is lacking in so many areas. Brereton's absence will need to lead to reinvestment as there are very few goals elsewhere. We have to hope that Dack regains his form.

Rothwell is a miss, I am not his biggest fan but he leaves a huge hole in our midfield and takes a dynamic out of our team that we had. Khadra was inconsistent but an upgrade on Dolan for example so a further loss.

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

The reason last season went tits up is because Mowbrays tactics were sussed out and he refused to adapt. So no, not really Mowbray all over again. A manager SHOULD adapt tactics depending on opposition.

i would`nt say we were sussed out,when injuries and fatigue kicked in mowbray brought 5 players in who did`nt contribute a thing,to add more chaos  he then started to play everyone out of position,remember him putting buckley up front against forest only to see him miss an open goal,not to mention the johnson false nine ****,if he`d have brough a genuine c/f  there would`nt have been a problem,he did`nt,he panicked and he started the tinkering

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Would JDT have been my first choice? Of course not. I'd have been (very) happy with Dyche or Farke. But at least if it is JDT I would still regard that as a vast improvement on a "Mowbray Mark 2" appointment like Pardew or Adkins.

And I would be prepared to give JDT a chance to show us what he can do unlike you who seem to be dismissing him out of hand before he even gets here.

Has the recruitment process been a shambles?  Of course it has. But that imo is what you get when you leave Waggott in charge of anything.

Pretty much my thoughts, too, Rev. In fact, I’m quite warming to the appointment, assuming it’s Tomasson who gets the nod.

He has an outstanding pedigree, albeit mainly on the playing side of things. He’d probably be the first to admit that his first foray into management/coaching was a relative failure. He then corrected that by serving an apprenticeship, as a number two for several years, with the Danish National side, before trying again with Malmö and delivering two championships. A move to England, or similar standard, would be seen as his natural progression up the coaching ladder.

It has got to be reiterated that we have Venky’s in charge who have a history of penny pinching (and wanton waste) where managers are concerned. With the candidates interviewed so far, it’s clear that they have not changed their modus operandi, so who did we honestly think we would get? Under the circumstances, I feel he would be a decent choice and certainly better than most of those on the managerial merry-go-round of mediocrity.

With the choice of Broughton as DoF, it also feels that Tomasson would be a good fit with regard to bringing in young players, developing them and then selling on for a profit. Something he worked on at Malmö. Both Broughton and Tomasson singing from the same hymn sheet.

Nothing would please me more than Venky’s throwing in the towel and off loading us onto fresh owners but it seems like this move to DoF and Head Coach is the first positive from them in twelve years.

It may work, it may not but I’m cautiously optimistic.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

https://www.foottheball.com/manager-in-focus/who-is-jon-dahl-tomasson-ac-milan-legend-manager-malmo-tactical-analysis-champions-league/amp

Couple of concerns in that article:

"Predicting the way Tomasson will set out his squad ahead of a game is almost unpredictable.

Malmo plays a myriad of formations depending on their opponents but Tomasson always makes sure that they are well spread all over the pitch and utilise the wide areas to the fullest. Even if they are playing with 3 centre-backs, they use their full backs like wingers and their go-to attacking instinct while on the front foot."

So Mowbray all.over again, constant tinkering.

"Although defensively, their performance hasn’t improved much, they have started scoring more goals under Tomasson and that is the only thing that matters at the end of the day."

Sounds like another who doesn't know how to organise a defence.

Also a fan of possession football.  Not for me this guy. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i would`nt say we were sussed out,when injuries and fatigue kicked in mowbray brought 5 players in who did`nt contribute a thing,to add more chaos  he then started to play everyone out of position,remember him putting buckley up front against forest only to see him miss an open goal,not to mention the johnson false nine ****,if he`d have brough a genuine c/f  there would`nt have been a problem,he did`nt,he panicked and he started the tinkering

He didn't start to play players out of position, Buckley continued to play as a false 9 as he had been doing throughout the winning run. The problem was that it was a system that he persisted with for too long, especially as without Brereton we had no one running in behind.

The signings had little impact but he wasn't backed, he was unlucky with Markanday who we don't know what impact he would have had, Brown was signed for the under 23s, Hedges was under used I must say but the other 2 were loans, he wasn't backed at a crucial time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He didn't start to play players out of position, Buckley continued to play as a false 9 as he had been doing throughout the winning run. The problem was that it was a system that he persisted with for too long, especially as without Brereton we had no one running in behind.

The signings had little impact but he wasn't backed, he was unlucky with Markanday who we don't know what impact he would have had, Brown was signed for the under 23s, Hedges was under used I must say but the other 2 were loans, he wasn't backed at a crucial time.

you must have been watching far away from ewood 🤣

• Like 1

He wasn't backed at a crucial time but he didn't make the best or correct use of the backing he had.

That bit is on him no matter how many other excuses get offered he was allowed to bring in 4 players -- at a crucial time.

That's why he'd never be anything other than the bang average guy he was there isn't much evidence to suggest he'd have been successful with 5 million quid in January.