BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (a) - 25/4/22

Am delighted with the result and performance, but I'm also pretty sure what the difference is. The pressure is off as it's not in our hands. Sheff Utd and Boro needs to both throw it away for us to get in - unlikely both will. Once the pressure is off we perform, just like in previous seasons. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I should be buzzing after that, it's just tinged with a bit of frustration knowing we SHOULD have played that for the past few months!

Literally every player played well, mainly down to them playing in their proper positions, who would have thought it? Lenihan who perhaps was the most out of position offered more in 1 game going forward than Nyambe has the last few months.

All eyes on Loftus Road on Friday I guess, Saturday COULD be absolutely huge!

Without wishing to sound like a twat we've played 343, 352, 433, 4231 this season and they've all worked well sometimes and worked poorly at others. We started the season in 433 and started poorly.

That we go on these long winning and then even longer losing runs goes beyond systems. Its something that has characterised Mowbrays teams at Rovers and elsewhere. 

Psychological or motivational imo, something in that area.

• Like 3

Man that was enjoyable !

How piss boiling its taken so long to go back to what works.

Oh and by the way UP YOURS PRESTON you tinpot shower of nothingness.  Weepdale library.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

If Luton lose both, and we win both, we are above them. 

Yes I know but the point I was making was there’s no chance Luton lose at home to a Reading side on there holidays on the last game of the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Without wishing to sound like a twat we've played 343, 352, 433, 4231 this season and they've all worked well sometimes and worked poorly at others. We started the season in 433 and started poorly.

That we go on these long winning and then even longer losing runs goes beyond systems. Its something that has characterised Mowbrays teams at Rovers and elsewhere. 

He needs to play the same team on Saturday, but I'm fully expecting Poveda in, Dolan as a false 9 and Edun at full back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

Yes I know but the point I was making was there’s no chance Luton lose at home to a Reading side on there holidays on the last game of the season.

The same as we would not get beaten by bottom of the league Peterborough, but it happened.

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Playing Gallagher as a forward and not a winger, and playing Buckley as a midfielder and not a centre forward worked wonders. Who’d have thought?

We could’ve been celebrating promotion tonight if Mowbray had done that weeks ago.

I knew we’d win tonight. Friday night is massive for us!

He was bought as a striker. It got complicated when Armstrong started scoring for fun and Diaz came good. 

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's a fair point that a variety of formations have been tried with short-term effects. However, there is no doubt that tactical and formational mismanagement has been a significant contributor to our failures this season. Our squad is surely far better than others that are higher than us at the moment.

Is this the first game of the season that Sam Gallagher has started in a central role? If so, that, in itself, is criminal.

However, I take your point, that Mowbray can't sustain a team. For 4-3-3 to work, the team has to press intently and the wide players have to work non-stop to get up and down the pitch. Quite simply, Mowbray has not been able to get his team to do this. Even in the more defensive 5-2-3, we fell apart partly because of this failure to maintain intensity.

Edit: Last season, 4-3-3 was so porous defensively for us because our team didn't press intently or support the full backs, so Bell, Douglas and Nyambe were exposed time and time again.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

A tinge of frustration? 

Literally 2 more performances like that, just 2, over the last 15 games and we would still be in the playoffs. Probably would have gotten away with a slightly lower performance and still got in.

It's mega frustrating.

Yeah, I perhaps undercooked it, but it was such an enjoyable performance. Possibly the best all season.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, BigBar said:

The Sheffield United away game felt guy wrenching at the time and look at it now. Fine margins. Down to 10 men and we miss a pen and go on to lose. Has that happened anywhere else this season? Highly doubt it.

Coventry 99th min equaliser for me.

Could well be 2pts would have done it come season end.

Still fuming. 

Don't even know where the added 6 mins came from. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, riverholmes said:

It's a fair point that a variety of formations have been tried with short-term effects. However, there is no doubt that tactical and formational mismanagement has been a significant contributor to our failures this season. Our squad is surely far better than others that are higher than us at the moment.

Is this the first game of the season that Sam Gallagher has started in a central role? If so, that, in itself, is criminal.

Ironically he played Gallagher as a central striker at Deepdale the other season when we let the 2 goal lead slip and he was on the scoresheet then too.

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Am delighted with the result and performance, but I'm also pretty sure what the difference is. The pressure is off as it's not in our hands. Sheff Utd and Boro needs to both throw it away for us to get in - unlikely both will. Once the pressure is off we perform, just like in previous seasons. 

We have been overcrowded in the middle of the park for months now, and Mowbray has not changed his system until now. We look a much better side when Travis, Buckley and Rothwell operate centrally. 

PNE away is a tough task, Boro will dread going there on the last day of the season. 

I think we will get beat by Bournemouth on Saturday but not without a fight. If it does come down to the wire, then Birmingham City away is similar to this one - we are the better side if we can find our mojo.

Hedges looked a lot better from the start than off the bench. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Simon Grayson’s pre match talk and post match summarising has been like one long pitch for the Rovers managers job next season.

Watch this space.

Wouldn't surprise me if he apply or wanted it. 

Wanted him 6 years ago when Coyle was appointed. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

He was bought as a striker. It got complicated when Armstrong started scoring for fun and Diaz came good. 

Brereton can play in a 2 or wide.

Gallagher is completely incapable of playing wide, yet Mowbray has persisted with it despite having about 10 other options there.

2 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Simon Grayson’s pre match talk and post match summarising has been like one long pitch for the Rovers managers job next season.

Watch this space.

Can't be a coincidence he's just rocked up out of nowhere.

He also got Sunderland to pay money for Jason Steele so i'm dubious about his connections.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

The same as we would not get beaten by bottom of the league Peterborough, but it happened.

I’ll give you 50/1 odds on Reading winning that game if Luton need a result going into it.