BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2022/2023 Pre Season Thread

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not a disaster to draw with an SPL team and a good workout.

Highlighted some urgent areas for improvement, but also some positives from today, for sure 👍🏻

Agree. Makeshift defence. Carter acquitted himself well.
Vale looked nippy. Gallagher had a solid all-round game. Hope JDT can teach him how to finish some of his excellent runs. Ben woke up later and got more involved  

I think JDT wanted to a result which is why he didn’t switch things around earlier. Difficult to judge the subs  

We take the positives and move on 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I thought that was pretty good to be fair. Apart from the suspect full back positions covered through this thread, there were plenty of positives. I don’t think Vale looked out of place at all alongside BB and Gally.

I thought Leonard looked much tidier in the few minutes he was on. 

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

Today shows we aren’t a million miles off being a good side, but we have some glaring problems that if not addressed will put us in trouble. There’s an obvious issue if Brereton leaves, but our options up the top end look ok. An experienced central midfielder would be nice, but we need 3 good defenders through the door asap.

We’d have won that today with Nyambe and Lenihan.

We have to move on from Nyambe and Lenihan...they got an offer and declined it...

Think Ayala has done well along with Carter playing out of positon...Carter looks strong.. think he has a great future.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Weak at full back, strong in central areas. What we have right now suits a 3-4-3 far better than it does a 4 at the back. 

No it doesn't - you need top class Wing Backs to play in a 3-4-3 / 3-5-2 etc. We simply don't have them. 

• Like 1

On the game, I though that for a great percentage of the match, our passing was poor, but we never gave up. Will we come across teams as good as Celtic on a regular basis in the championship ? I don't think so. Bring on QPR.

ASLEF please don't stike on the 30th 

Edited by rigger

Just now, neophox said:

We have to move on from Nyambe and Lenihan...they got an offer and declined it...

Think Ayala has done well along with Carter playing out of positon...Carter looks strong.. think he has a great future.

We have to replace Nyambe and Lenihan or we are in real trouble.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andy said:

Not a disaster to draw with an SPL team and a good workout.

Highlighted some urgent areas for improvement, but also some positives from today, for sure 👍🏻

The best team in the SPL. 

Spent £29m on transfers the last two seasons too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

We have to replace Nyambe and Lenihan or we are in real trouble.

We obviously will. Nyambe is nothing special as his long list of suitors can vouch to…

Thought that was a perfect workout for the team just what is needed right now to get some steam into the legs.  Celtics passing around dragged us all over the place at times which was good for the closing down game and i thought we coped quite well.

Worryingly first half we far too much resembled Mowbrays Rovers offering nothing on the flanks. In a game like that the only outlet is the wings/channels to help take pressure off but nothing there. Plus side i much prefer Buckley in a more natural deep midfield role he looks far more comfortable than the false 9 nonsense.

Second half once they'd tired a bit and made changes we really came into it and looked decent in attack working some good openings.  Gally showed he isn't the finisher to step into BBDs shoes though should he depart.

Kaminsky i thought could have done better at times but good showings from Carter, Ayala and Vale which is promising. Pickering and Carter were under the cosh all day but they won't come up against that quality in the Championship too often.

20 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Buckley
Didn't get into his stride. Much of the passing we require from him wasn't forthcoming, hence our lack of control over the game. Didn't see enough of the ball, which is forgivable given who we were up against.

Apart from the pass of the game round the back of the defence to Brereton who should've rounded Hart.

Found the game just in time to see Celtic score the 1st on 15mins and had to leave just after 55 mins...

The 40 minutes I saw were utter shite from us, but I'm pleased the other 50minutes sounded better.

Like the look of Vale, but the back 4 looked very poor, obvious to mention the full backs, but Ayala looked like he was playing on sand (Celtic are great yada yada).

Without a proper CB and RB replacement and more quality in other places, best we can hope for is a boring ass mid table, safe/eliminated from playoffs by March.

4 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Funny reading on here. Total meltdown during the game, but soon as the final whistle everyone sounds quite positive.

If we'd have been hammered 5-0, everyone would have been saying the result didn't matter. Hope no-one is fooled into thinking the squad as it stands is adequate.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If we'd have been hammered 5-0, everyone would have been saying the result didn't matter. Hope no-one is fooled into thinking the squad as it stands is adequate.

The squad as it stands, is what we have got. Adequate for what. If we go into the season with the squad how it stands, I expect us to challenge for the play-offs.

• Like 1