BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

Home win against Villa where we came back from 2-1 down to win 3-2. Opening game of the season or very early. Lots of sunshine, big crowd----what's not to like?

2-1 win against Spurs at Ewood after being 1-0 down and outclassed for most of the game. Laughed from ear to ear. Great days.

By the way tickets for the Villa game were £10!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I enjoyed it, but then I always enjoy watching my team win!

Season tickets under San were great value for money!

I enjoyed winning too Kenny. That’s why I’ve said I would’ve kept him in context. It’s why I’ve said sacking him was arguably Venkys worst decision. He was certainly the man for that moment…but as a separate point, I (and thousands of others across the country) stand by our point that his football was vile. Anti-entertainment.

My hope for this season is to see us winning and playing high tempo, entertaining football 

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Winning surpasses anything else in professional sport. Success on the pitch (or lack of it) pretty much dictates everything that happens elsewhere in the club. The feeling of winning in any manner massively outweighs the feeling of playing nice football and not winning.

However each to their own.

Winning is the be all and end all of professional sport (and life imo). But we’re talking about style of football here and people are struggling to separate the two.

If you enjoyed that style of football then good for you. I love to win too…but I still know how I choose to win. I rarely compromise on either.

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

My hope for this season is to see us winning and playing high tempo, entertaining football 

Me too, sounds great.

But Arbito’s point is exactly right, it’s results that builds football clubs. So you don’t put the cart before the horse.

Find a way to win, get up the table, bring in better players, get further up the table, get bigger crowds, get promoted, get even better players, get even bigger crowds, get improved facilities, even better coaching staff and on it goes. If we’ve done that in a swashbuckling ‘football the right way’ style (however that is defined) then great, who wouldn’t want to see that? But if it was a more prosaic style that got us there, then that also doesn’t matter one bit as BRFC will finally be out of a very deep hole.

* But as an aside, if you win enough, performances get better anyway as confidence is probably the biggest thing in any sport.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Winning is the be all and end all of professional sport (and life imo). But we’re talking about style of football here and people are struggling to separate the two.

If you enjoyed that style of football then good for you. I love to win too…but I still know how I choose to win. I rarely compromise on either.

I think we are broadly agreeing here. Of course I want us to win in an exciting way but most of I just want to win. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Ha never thought of that, is it too late to ask for a refund?

But on the flip side you are happy if we lose as long as we’ve played what you’ve deemed ‘good football’?

I have never said that. What I said was, at £30 a ticket "I want to be successful and entertained"                               

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

With Sam, Williams and Finn the club was absolutely primed to kick on.

All you need to do Rao family was keep things as they are, up the budgets a bit, wait for the new TV deals to be signed and you are laughing. Put ‘Venky’s’ on the shirt if you want, and let the dosh roll in…

Alas they went a very different route

I watched Bolton quite a bit in Sam’s time there They started out as an ale house team but as time went by he introduced more and more skilful players. If you couldn’t admire the likes of Djorkaeff and Okocha you shouldn’t really be watching football.

• Like 9

Allardyce robbed the fans throughout his time at Ewood by refusing to deal with agents and players that wouldn't feather his nest. We could have seen much better players and much better football had he been open to signing anyone from anyone. He was doing what everyone criticizes Venkys for, dealing with one/two agents and that pool of players, just because we sat mid table Premiership doesn't alter that fact.

His football was awful, the man himself was a complete arsehole, who eventually ruined his reputation and should never work in football again.

Now back to JDT, ignoring the utter shambles of a recruitment process, I must admit to feeling more optimistic by the day, the messages coming out of Ewood are positive and thats something we've not been able to say to often over the past 11yrs.

290 miles to Dundee, thinking about it.......

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I loved being a mid table PL side. But I hated the football. HATED it. It literally made me feel like not wanting to watch.

For the record, there’s no way I would’ve sacked him. Sam, Williams and Finn were Venkys golden ticket. Their decision on that trio has genuinely cost them £200m 🙈

I think this is pretty much exactly how I feel/felt. His football was dreadful to watch - give it to Diouf and let him win a freekick on the halfway line so that we can smash it up to Samba - at times we made Pulis’ Stoke look like Barcelona!!

I remember one game in particular, I think against Birmingham, where Dunny scored early on - after the initial euphoria of celebrating the goal, we (and everyone around us) gave out a collective groan/sigh because we knew that we were now in for 80+ minutes of sitting back and holding onto the 1-0

My dad and I had already made the decision that we weren’t going to renew our season tickets if Sam was still the manager as it just wasn’t enjoyable anymore (although obviously it hasn’t exactly been too enjoyable over the last 12 years and we’re still there, so maybe we’re just gluttons for punishment and would have changed our minds when it came down to it 🤷‍♂️)

37 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I’m entertained by 3 points at 5pm.

I’ve seen a lot of people say this over the years, but if it is just purely about the results then you can get the same entertainment by checking the result at 5pm and save yourself £30 a week. 
If people are paying out their hard earned money then, in my opinion at least, there needs to be moments of individual brilliance, and things that genuinely get you out of your seat with excitement 

• Like 6

I’m there to support my football club to get results to improve its stature, to get up the table and grow. Those results make me happy as it helps my club thrive, I’m very much entertained by that.

I understand other people’s views on what entertains them, but I find it odd a few folk in here can’t seem to understand this view.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

Was not willing to do 2nd 3rd interviews and be pissed about, and was not alone in that.

One by one they all walked away due to amateurish way we presented ourselves.

Telling top coaches

"We've lots of people to see, so after todays interview, if you make our short list we will get you in again, where we will hold more interviews with those who made it through. After those second interviews, there will be a final interview and an opportunity to discuss the terms and conditions. Sadly the process will take up to 4 weeks"

Lots of candidates had other options, and there has to be a desire to get things done. The interviewing process gave off the opposite vibe, and similar to when Kean went, rather than us rule managers out, those managers ruled themselves out.

Had Broughton not come in, i think we would still be looking for a manager. JDT, has said it happened all very quickly and Broughton is who persuaded him to take it on. 

This was never our plan, and where that leaves Suhail and Waggott, i'm hoping its down the road.

An exciting CEO appointment now, could really tip the scales in Venkys favour. There is a genuine feeling/vibe of optimism on these appointments. Clearing the decks now and not later will reap the rewards 

Brilliant, anywhere else I wouldn’t believe you, but at Rovers anything is possible.  What a joke of a club. They’re appointing a manager of a football club not the deputy head of a local secondary school ! 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Truly a golden moment!

I remember watching Forest under Brian Clough play a German team in one of the rounds of the European Cup. Forest footballed them to death that night but the Germans defended really well and kept the game tight. After 90 minutes of Forest dominance it was still 0-0. Then the Forest goalie launched an ale house ball straight down field, the two German centre halves got in a tangle, left the ball to each other, it bounced over them and Peter Withe nipped in to slot the ball past the keeper.

All that football had got them nowhere until that point.

• Like 6

There's also a side to it that if you "football" your way out of the Championship you end up in the Prem - which is great - but when you're there most teams can out football you and you get murdered and relegated. See Fulham or Norwich in recent years.

You want a team that can find a way to defend and get a result against better teams. Winning ugly against better teams is a big part of football, and we want to be good at it.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

Wasted a lot of peoples time, and with it continued to show the traits as poor negotiators.

Its not a wonder, players are having to be sold as they are in the last year of the contract.

We have lost a number of players for nothing during this boards reign.

The wage demands of the contract rebel three were not that bad, not asking for the world.

The wise man would of signed them up last season, knowing if we didn't go up worse case scenario we could sell them and fill the coffers.

The arrogance or gauntlet put down, of "if you think you can find better" never ends well in the clubs favour.

It leaves us with zero transfer funds in, and us now pimping Brereton out.

Its criminal they let those contracts run down, and also criminal they didnt negotiate a new one with Brereton.

For this aione they are showing how out of their depth they are.

I understand the above is to do with the owners not being engaged/willing to signoff contracts? Is that right?

Do you expect this aspect - lack of forward planning due to lack of signoffs from Venkys to approve new contracts - to change under Broughton/JDT?