BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

6 minutes ago, goozburger said:

24 years old playing part-time for Curzon Ashton.

I clearly know nowt about football. I'd assume you'd want a retired goalkeeper with bags of experience and a bit of a name. Instead, we've got a part time national league rookie training a Belgian international. I don't get it, but if it works...

He puts the cones out quicker.

36 minutes ago, goozburger said:

I clearly know nowt about football. I'd assume you'd want a retired goalkeeper with bags of experience and a bit of a name. Instead, we've got a part time national league rookie training a Belgian international. I don't get it, but if it works...

Age doesn't always equal knowledge. At 24 years old he's got his B License (in goal and outfield). Probably working towards his pro. Could be a good investment for the club.

57 minutes ago, goozburger said:

he has got his B licence and if you look at his role its to help the transition between the goalkeeper from the academy to first team. 

Even if you have retired keeper with bags of experience doesn't mean they are good coach and can communicate effectively  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But Bobby Mimms is an experience coach who has proven that he can actually coach GK's and improve them. 

Did our keepers improve under him between 2008 and 2012? I.e from Brad leaving to relegation?

Edited by Mattyblue

6 minutes ago, goozburger said:

In this case it's for "transitioning" goalkeepers from the U23s (or will it be U21s?) to the first team squad.

As long as it doesn't transition Pears into the starting team, I won't be too bothered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at the improve of Paul Robinson under Bobby Mimms here. 

Brad Friedel leaving here did not result in relegation  

Must be joking! PR got worse every season.

I didn’t say it did, I was just using post-Brad 2008 until 2012 as context, as that was the Mimms spell as coach.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Must be joking! PR got worse every season.

I didn’t say it did, I was just using post-Brad 2008 until 2012 as context, as that was the Mimms spell as coach.

for the first 2 season under Bobby Mimms he actually improved

17 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Even if that’s true (it isn’t), the fella could hardly dive by 2012 and he was only 32, a bloke with 40 odd England caps no less, so doesn’t exactly say much about either of them.

Rather have Benson.

Well it is true you can dispute all you want. Robinson improvement was there to see under Allardyce. 

He did have a massive problem diving to his left side in the final 18 months.  

Robinson didn't really improve he was a solid steady but not great keeper when he signed and was what it said on the tin.  Capable of the basics but lacking the agility and reflexes of even an ageing Brad.

He then had a purple patch under Allardyce mainly due to the way we played and the extra involvement in that.  Once he was injured then ill he slid away pretty quickly but no one ever tell me Steele was any kind of improvement whatsoever.

So i'm not sure coaching had much to do with Robbo but for a spell he was the perfect man for the percentage game.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Robinson got really bad, really fast. If it was on target from outside the box, it was a goal. One Ashley Young scored for United from what seemed like miles out, I’ll always remember he should have had….

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Robinson got really bad, really fast. If it was on target from outside the box, it was a goal. One Ashley Young scored for United from what seemed like miles out, I’ll always remember he should have had….

I think the 08/09 and 09/10 seasons he was good but after that he seemed to put on a stone for every other season he was here and he wasn’t great. 

The reasons being his back knackered unfortunately and also i think his general fitness habits deteriorated.

There's been plenty from him out in public about that period and we just got him as time was beginning to take its toll i think.

While I understand the thought that a GK coach with top-level professional playing experience is preferrable, it does strike me as narrow-minded. Plenty of star athletes are ultimately dumb jocks... I can't speak for football goalie coaches, but, for example, the 'gurus' of (ice) hockey goalie coaching have tended to be random French Canadians who never played pro or 2nd-rate pros, rather than former stars.

Maybe some have valid reasons to doubt Benson: inside info, not impressed by his warm-ups or you can debate how our keepers have developed/performed under him, etc. (I suspect some don't rate him simply because he looks like a bit of a dweeb haha) I have no idea myself! Forming strong judgments about backroom/support coaching staff has always struck me as a bit odd...

I'll admit I've been hesitant to go along with the Benson criticism after randomly reading here that he's apparently a close confidante of Dean Henderson, going back to their Carlisle days. That's just one data point of course, but he may be a better respected GK coach than some give him credit for...

Edited by RoverCanada
  • Like 6