BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have confidence and faith in the Footballing strategy Rovers have and the people we have in key positions with the Football management side of the club. 

Yet again, I told Hirst's strengths are having watching the Stoke game and videos of him before he signed here. His strengths are there to see if you watch them and the way he like to play

If I think he is dud I would say so. I not bothered or worried if I made a mistake and I ain't afraid to admit I was wrong. 

BBD wasn't unusual case but he was barely starting and playing. after Covid he was a different player and one who has become a fan favourite and proven he has quality for this level.

JDT is a winner and you can see that if you look at his playing and management career history. 

Why not allow his time and patience to build his own team and stop being so judgemental and expect promotion within his first season. Farke took time there to get it right and look at the success and the team he built there

Hi Chaddy....I don't expect promotion. I never said I did. I do like to be enterained. I do like to watch exciting attacking football. I don't expect to pay good money and see 11 changes and throw away a great opportunity in the league cup....Sorry if you don't agree. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yet again, subtle digs at other members of the board who just aren't as clued up about footy as Chaddy...Gaslighting shouldn't be tolerated on this board.

Gaslighting isn’t tolerated, nobody is gaslighting anyone from what I can see.

I have to say though, if anyone thinks Hirst has any strengths, I’d love to know what they are, as they’ve been completely missing in action so far. The lad has offered absolutely nothing to justify his signing. He’s been abysmal. I hope he improves for the club’s sake, I really do, but he’s shown me nothing so far to suggest he will. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doogs said:

Hi Chaddy....I don't expect promotion. I never said I did. I do like to be enterained. I do like to watch exciting attacking football. I don't expect to pay good money and see 11 changes and throw away a great opportunity in the league cup....Sorry if you don't agree. 

I want to see wins on the board. Yes I would like to play attacking football and we witness that in the first half about boro where our passing and tempo was back to the way it was before. Quick, intensity and plenty of movement. 

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I have seen enough of Hirst crucially at Championship (and in the Cup) level in a Rovers shirt not to be seduced by highlight reels. He is slow, weak, half arsed, cant hold it up, doesnt look like scoring and cant head a ball. 

so you got your opinion and that its. Whilst mine is different and based on looking at the player through a number of years. 

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

BBD wasn't unusual case but he was barely starting and playing. after Covid he was a different player and one who has become a fan favourite and proven he has quality for this level.

Sorry Chaddy but this simply isn't true. There has never been a player in Rovers history, and I suspect any other club too, where a player has cost a huge amount of the budget, done nothing for 2 seasons, not come good till the 4th, all at the same club. I cannot think of a single example. Often the player is shipped out, sometimes the manager carries the can. Never can I think of someone breaking the bank and taking 4 seasons to come good, and a club in waiting that long. 

Even if there is a case or two (and I'm pretty certain there aren't) the fact it's not commonplace shows it is unusual. And you can't build a case on the exception not the rule. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Sorry Chaddy but this simply isn't true. There has never been a player in Rovers history, and I suspect any other club too, where a player has cost a huge amount of the budget, done nothing for 2 seasons, not come good till the 4th, all at the same club. I cannot think of a single example. Often the player is shipped out, sometimes the manager carries the can. Never can I think of someone breaking the bank and taking 4 seasons to come good, and a club in waiting that long. 

Even if there is a case or two (and I'm pretty certain there aren't) the fact it's not commonplace shows it is unusual. And you can't build a case on the exception not the rule. 

I can’t think of another case. Of course there are always signings that flop at one club then really thrive when they move to another but BBD is a one off.

12 hours ago, Doogs said:

When was the last time you saw that at Rovers?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I want to see wins on the board. Yes I would like to play attacking football and we witness that in the first half about boro where our passing and tempo was back to the way it was before. Quick, intensity and plenty of movement. 

so you got your opinion and that its. Whilst mine is different and based on looking at the player through a number of years. 

A number of years? You mean this season when he has been an embarrassment (although you cling onto an hour in a drab home loss v Stoke in which he missed a couple of chances as if he was excellent) and also a highlight reel from last season?

• Like 1

He’s a 24 year old striker who has never scored a goal at this level in 40 (FORTY) attempts.

But if YouTube shows him in the third division ‘running the channels’ or whatever he’s supposed to be doing against Accy or whoever, then bugger the goal tally, sign him up!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

A number of years? You mean this season when he has been an embarrassment (although you cling onto an hour in a drab home loss v Stoke in which he missed a couple of chances as if he was excellent) and also a highlight reel from last season?

You still going on about this? We aren't going to agree so I not getting involved again over Hirst. We won't agree. end of!

7 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

When was the last time you saw that at Rovers?

I was definitely entertained on Thursday in the first half and so was everyone else imo, there was not a murmur of discontent at half time about any aspect of the performance. 

If we can produce football like that regularly, with the squad we have plus some decent January additions, then there's no reason we can't stick around the top 6, where none of us thought we had a chance of being back in July.

Folk are way too impatient nowadays, give the guy a break.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I was definitely entertained on Thursday in the first half and so was everyone else imo, there was not a murmur of discontent at half time about any aspect of the performance. 

If we can produce football like that regularly, with the squad we have plus some decent January additions, then there's no reason we can't stick around the top 6, where none of us thought we had a chance of being back in July.

Folk are way too impatient nowadays, give the guy a break.

Our passing tempo and quickness in moving the ball was entertaining and the movement of the front 4 was good.

• Like 1

We haven't played well for a full match this whole season. 

Every time we have lost we have been abysmal. As soon as we concede we have lost the game. 

We have some good players and we have shown that we can beat just about any team but for some reason the management keep insisting on playing a style of football that the players we have are not capable of.

With the exception of 2009 era Barcelona I have never seen a team exclusively play out from the back successfully. Fair play, they wanted to try something different but after 20 minutes it was obvious that it wasn't going to work. Week after week we keep trying something that doesn't work and will never work. That is 100% the fault of the manager. He clearly doesn't know what he's doing.

• Like 3

On 01/01/2023 at 01:29, Upside Down said:

We haven't played well for a full match this whole season. 

Every time we have lost we have been abysmal. As soon as we concede we have lost the game. 

We have some good players and we have shown that we can beat just about any team but for some reason the management keep insisting on playing a style of football that the players we have are not capable of.

With the exception of 2009 era Barcelona I have never seen a team exclusively play out from the back successfully. Fair play, they wanted to try something different but after 20 minutes it was obvious that it wasn't going to work. Week after week we keep trying something that doesn't work and will never work. That is 100% the fault of the manager. He clearly doesn't know what he's doing.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

"Practice makes perfect."

Two well known adages that highlight the importance of keeping on plugging away at what you believe in & standing by your principles. Look at what Potter did with Brighton over a period of time, Dyche at Burnley, even Fergie at United way back when.

If JDT's approach had us languishing in the bottom third of the table then I could understand this point of view, but that's not where we are is it?

Yesterday was a good example of how we can mix it up; playing it around patiently, looking for opportunities, playing through the lines, using longer balls over the top or diagonally, or hoofing it when required. 

I just don't get the grief he receives, or your conclusion that he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

"Practice makes perfect."

Two well known adages that highlight the importance of keeping on plugging away at what you believe in & standing by your principles. Look at what Potter did with Brighton over a period of time, Dyche at Burnley, even Fergie at United way back when.

If JDT's approach had us languishing in the bottom third of the table then I could understand this point of view, but that's not where we are is it?

Yesterday was a good example of how we can mix it up; playing it around patiently, looking for opportunities, playing through the lines, using longer balls over the top or diagonally, or hoofing it when required. 

I just don't get the grief he receives, or your conclusion that he clearly doesn't know what he's doing. 

The two quotes you made should have the addendum- If you have the time, and no other option.

Edited by rigger

On 31/12/2022 at 20:19, Atko's Engine said:

Booing mate, people losing patience with JDT and his abysmal football 

• Like 1

Got to be the only club in England whose fans are unhappy with a manager who has us third after 5 years of not even threatening the playoffs. Been left with some decent ish players but also some absolute shite. 

JRC and Garrett (who was good yday and I have future hopes for) wouldn't get into any other team in the division, genuinely. I don't think either would get in to any of the bottom 3's XI. Same for Edun and Hirst. 

Left with 2 strikers, neither of which can control a football or hold it up. A midfield that has no bite in it. No pace on the wings and a bench full of U23's. But he's using what we do have (3 fantastic CBs and goalkeeper) very well. 

What do people actually want to see, if not this passing game? Direct football? Long balls up to Gallagher? Did anyone see him yesterday? If you think this football is bad, let's all think about what 90 minutes of THAT would look like.

He was left with not even half a squad that's any good, and yet after the half way point he has us third in the league and the two teams above us, one spent 25 million last window and the other has a £30mil midfielder and 2 £20million strikers in their ranks.

All the talk of losing 12 games, I'd lose another 12 in a heartbeat if it resulted in a top 6 place. And if we fall short with this current crop (which I expect as it objectively is not good enough to expect a top 6 place), then I will see what targets he and the club have in mind and what this squad looks like come the end of the next summer window to actually play this way successfully (above third place?) next season. 

Worth bearing in mind that Norwich finished 16th in their first season with Farke, and ended up romping the championship twice with some of the best football I've watched a visiting team play at Ewood, but there's no football better than winning football.

Edited by Mellor Rover

55 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Booing mate, people losing patience with JDT and his abysmal football 

As I said in the match thread, I'm pretty sure those boos were for the ref, not the team.

Look each to their own, but I just don't think the criticism is coming from a place of realism or context.  I wish we were steamrollering teams 3 or 4 nil week in week out, but that's not realistic of any team in this division.

Look back to the first few pages of this thread. Comments of "he needs cash from the board", "he needs at least 3 windows", "he'll need time to acclimatise & get used to this league", "let's set about rebuilding this squad" etc. No "promotion here we come", "promotion or bust", "I'll give him until Jan 1st, if he's not in the top 2 by then he must be clueless".

Why the change in attitude when he had 6 weeks to get to know the squad before the season started, a squad which was shorn of several 1st teamers that had just come off TMs worst ever "death spiral" of relegation form, a much shortened transfer window, has had nearly half a season squeezed into 3 and a bit months with barely any time to train between matches, has had to integrate half a dozen academy graduates into the first team squad, yet is still 3rd in the league??

It baffles me, it really does. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Mad opinions on a football message board baffle you? Not been visiting them long, I take it?

The human race will never fail to baffle me, especially when they claim to watch football! 🤣

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Mad opinions on a football message board baffle you? Not been visiting them long, I take it?

As I said, each to their own but I try to look at things both subjectively as a Rovers fan, as objectively as a realist.

What JDT does & what the team / players do game to game is not the only thing that impacts the outcome. He's got us far better organised than we were. But it's also injuries, form, opposition, weather, referees, pitch, KO time, luck, all of which conspire on any given day to bring an outcome. I would argue that with us being 3rd after 24 games, he's done far more right than he has done wrong in his brief tenure to date, and has coped better with those variables than 21 other managers in the division. 

• Like 1