BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

17 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he gets unfair stick does bowyer,i thought he did a very good job,he was just a little to cautious imo,we should have made the play offs the season before the indians forced him to sell rhodes,gestede and cairney,losing that much ability from your team would have ***** up most managers,he was on a loser after thatw

He benched one in the big games, and played the other on the right wing so that Williamson and Lowe could both play together.

Horrendous manager. I'm no Mowbray fan, but think he'd have got us at least top 6 with that team.

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

He benched one in the big games, and played the other on the right wing so that Williamson and Lowe could both play together.

Horrendous manager. I'm no Mowbray fan, but think he'd have got us at least top 6 with that team.

Ye and he also failed to get Salford up with more money than anyone else.  Bottom league too 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

All things considered he wasn't horrendous but i agree on the Lowe etc thing Bowyer was a weak manager with some real blind spots.

As for Mowbray and top 6 i'm really not convinced on that and whilst GB was water treading us Mowbray was floundering around in a lower league with Coventry.  I really don't think there is a right lot between them if i'm being honest.

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Can't see it with Leeds but what I can see are the predicted rumblings of a want away manager.

Disastrous transfer window with zero backing to a manager who has had us in the mix all season.

Followed by press conferences where he is clearly fuming with the situation and then keen to remind everyone of how well we've done so far this season and then haven't been backed, whereas rivals have strengthened.

Manager then suddenly changes agents within a couple of weeks of the window closing.

Followed by 'rumours' in the press for the first time of a move elsewhere.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what is going on here. He's been let down and will be planning a move elsewhere. Whether he gets a better offer, or whether he is prepared to stick it out and collect his salary or throw in the towel and go unemployed for a while is the question.

Expect to see more of this sort of stuff over the next couple of months.

This is excactly the point I was trying to make, but you  express it a lot better than I did 🙂

I don´t see him going to Leeds , or at at least not for the time being -he is a loyal type of person and he will stay put til the end  of the season . But no doubt about him looking for other possibilities at the end of this season. He has been let down by GB and the board, and he will use this to get out of his contract.

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Can't see it with Leeds but what I can see are the predicted rumblings of a want away manager.

Disastrous transfer window with zero backing to a manager who has had us in the mix all season.

Followed by press conferences where he is clearly fuming with the situation and then keen to remind everyone of how well we've done so far this season and then haven't been backed, whereas rivals have strengthened.

Manager then suddenly changes agents within a couple of weeks of the window closing.

Followed by 'rumours' in the press for the first time of a move elsewhere.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out what is going on here. He's been let down and will be planning a move elsewhere. Whether he gets a better offer, or whether he is prepared to stick it out and collect his salary or throw in the towel and go unemployed for a while is the question.

Expect to see more of this sort of stuff over the next couple of months.

I don’t disagree with any of this but how does this fit in with his narrative of a ‘long term project’? 

A multiple season strategy was never going to run completely to plan - particularly given how poorly we are run (which isn’t exactly a secret)

I think he’s right to be ‘fuming’ about what’s happened, but surely even some basic research before taking the job would have lead to it not coming as a surprise.

Maybe he just thought, “they can’t be as bad as I’ve heard”…

Edited by wilsdenrover

25 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I don’t disagree with any of this but how does this fit in with his narrative of a ‘long term project’? 

A multiple season strategy was never going to run completely to plan - particularly given how poorly we are run (which isn’t exactly a secret)

I think he’s right to be ‘fuming’ about what’s happened, but surely even some basic research before taking the job would have lead to it not coming as a surprise.

Maybe he just thought, “they can’t be as bad as I’ve heard”…

I think the 'multi year project' stuff is just the usual sort of stuff you get from any new manager at a new club. Particularly important at Rovers where there always seems to be a 'jam tomorrow' approach to things.

I think your last line there probably sums it up. By the time the Rovers job came up I think JDT was running out of time and alternatives and jumped into it with whatever reservations and drawbacks there were put to one side. He'd been out of work for 6 months and failing to land a job in the summer might have put him on the scrapheap. He needed to get into work and Rovers were presumably the biggest option he got. I think most new managers would ignore or overlook the obvious warning signs hoping that they weren't going to cause a problem, or that the owners were going to change their approach, or that the issues could be managed. Listening to the likes of Waggott and Broughton probably solidified that, giving him the impression we were a properly functioning football club.

And to be fair up until January things were reasonably good on that front - there was backing of some level in the summer (essential of course to replace the exodus of quality from last season) but JDT was wise to go with the 'project' talk having had one short summer and transfer window to get to work.

The shenanigans of January however I expect have burned bridges big style. So many people mucked around and made to look like fools, and there's no way I'm believing that its all because of box ticking or someone forgetting to fill something in. The 'internal factors' Broughton referred to suggest ownership issues again.

So having done a season here, if he keeps us there or thereabouts and then moves on in the summer he will be able to refresh his CV with a reasonable record here.

The only way he stays IMO is if there is some reassurance on future backing or if there's literally no option for him to turn to. He doesn't strike me as the sort who will plod along on the road to nowhere whilst being made a fool of, unlike his two predecessors.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think the 'multi year project' stuff is just the usual sort of stuff you get from any new manager at a new club. Particularly important at Rovers where there always seems to be a 'jam tomorrow' approach to things.

I think your last line there probably sums it up. By the time the Rovers job came up I think JDT was running out of time and alternatives and jumped into it with whatever reservations and drawbacks there were put to one side. He'd been out of work for 6 months and failing to land a job in the summer might have put him on the scrapheap. He needed to get into work and Rovers were presumably the biggest option he got. I think most new managers would ignore or overlook the obvious warning signs hoping that they weren't going to cause a problem, or that the owners were going to change their approach, or that the issues could be managed. Listening to the likes of Waggott and Broughton probably solidified that, giving him the impression we were a properly functioning football club.

And to be fair up until January things were reasonably good on that front - there was backing of some level in the summer (essential of course to replace the exodus of quality from last season) but JDT was wise to go with the 'project' talk having had one short summer and transfer window to get to work.

The shenanigans of January however I expect have burned bridges big style. So many people mucked around and made to look like fools, and there's no way I'm believing that its all because of box ticking or someone forgetting to fill something in. The 'internal factors' Broughton referred to suggest ownership issues again.

So having done a season here, if he keeps us there or thereabouts and then moves on in the summer he will be able to refresh his CV with a reasonable record here.

The only way he stays IMO is if there is some reassurance on future backing or if there's literally no option for him to turn to. He doesn't strike me as the sort who will plod along on the road to nowhere whilst being made a fool of, unlike his two predecessors.

Again, that all sounds plausible.

In terms of refreshing his CV - I think we’d  need a ‘solid’ remainder of the season for anyone ‘on the outside looking in’ to think (rightly or wrongly) he’s made any progress on what Mowbray left behind.

If we ‘drift away’ he may well find we’re still the best available to him!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

By the time the Rovers job came up I think JDT was running out of time and alternatives and jumped into it with whatever reservations and drawbacks there were put to one side. He'd been out of work for 6 months and failing to land a job in the summer might have put him on the scrapheap.

He was close to joining FC Zurich before Gregg Broughton made him his number 1 choice to become our head coach

https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/36240-v-swansea-city-a-6822/?do=findComment&comment=2356429

8 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Makes me sad when the names of Rhodes and Gestede come up. In particular with Gestede. We had a regular route to goal then, which is completely cut off to us now. No tactician needed for them, they just put in the net every week.

Who doubts that we would have finished in the top 6 and maybe better if we had 2 like those?

22 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

He completely lost me at subbing Dunn against the Dingles, and then changing the entire shape of the team.

That day his actions did more to help them than Burnley’s entire team and management. Absolute fool.

• Like 3

Still had parachute money, had plenty of quality players for this level… yet we handed it to a bloke that had never coached outside youth football.

He did his best, but there was obviously a huge risk that he was going to make a load of mistakes and not fulfil the potential of that squad as he learnt his trade.

2013 to 2015 was a golden opportunity to turn the club around, alas like always those penny wise, pound foolish owners of ours put paid to that with a wholly inappropriate appointment, and here we are nearly a decade on…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to not get carried away. We just did to Leicester what Nob End, Burnleh and Rotherham did to us. When it works, it really works, when it doesn't it's a disaster. I can't pass judgement on JDT until he's been given a chance to build his team with the type of players he needs to fit this style. Whether he gets backed or not will be the clincher. I think we're starting to see great team spirit and togetherness, and a willingness to buy into the system that was missing in those games, they're taking those risks that he mentions and getting reward.

I was critical of him in those games of trying to fit a style to the side regardless of the quality of player, I can see how it's going to work, we looked balanced tonight and hungry.

Diaz, Dack will have to fight to get back into the side now.

Right off to play JDT bingo with his post match presser:

"in that way" 
"intensity"
"he's a good boy"

• Like 3