BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

16 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

His public persona is quite likely very different to what he's saying and thinking privately. He could have concluded after the January debacle that this isn't what he was sold when he joined the club, that it's being run in an amateurish way by a load of second raters. If he's come to that conclusion, he'll be off sooner than we think. This is all conjecture but if he does leave at the end of the season it's very easy to see possibly why

I’m not disputing that he could go and I wouldn’t blame him if he did. But questioning why that would make us better on the pitch and put in our best performance of the season/recent times. Just can’t see a connection there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Having to chuck Vale on when Gally runs out of steam must be pissing him off.

Exactly. I can't be critical of Vale too much, he scored at West Ham and at Norwich, those goals have allowed us to progress in the cups BUT there was a moment when he came on, I need to watch it again and others have mentioned it, where he didn't bust a gut to close a Leicester player down, it was odd and if I was JDT I'd be showing him a clip of that first thing. 

Think another poster mentioned this, can't remember who, but you've sat on the bench watching Gally work his bollocks off all game and you at least need to match that effort when you replace him. 

There is a similar languid body language like Butterworth about him, he obviously has good positional sense, but it is odd. Like with any of our academy lads, I want him to do well though.

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

‘Feyenoord wants’ is actually (when you look at the reports) ‘JDT was on a list to be considered should Slot join Leeds’ (he didn’t)

If he keeps doing a good job we'll have to get used to him being on managerial shortlists, sadly.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, booth said:

If he keeps doing a good job we'll have to get used to him being on managerial shortlists, sadly.

It's better than him not making any lists. I just hope his stay at the Rovers is successful, however long that is.

• Like 2

If we are going to have good head coaches and good managers which is what we all want then regular interest will go with the turf.  Like good players they'll move on to further their ambitions so it's something we might have to get used to but it's not a bad problem to have.

We don't want to start talking about 5 and 10 year contracts like was chucked around when Mowbray got us promotion.  Main thing is we are left in good shape for the next one but i reckon JDT will see out this season. If they don't back him in summer though we might as well shut up shop as there'd have been no point recruiting him in the first place.

We are in an upcycle now after a decade on dips and flatlines so we have to make it count over the next couple of seasons because it won't last.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In theory working for extremely rich owners may appear attractive. The reality is another thing entirely as we all know by now. If it was me personally, and putting my Rovers allegiance to one side,  I’d be off as soon as I could find something better.

It probably hadn’t gone unnoticed by JDT how much time Mowbray had been given, so at least job security is a positive at Rovers.

That said, he must be extremely peeved by January’s events, and will be seeking assurances for the Summer.

Unless he is being unrealistic in his demands, Broughton has got to get in the owners ears and get them to cough up.

Given reasonable backing, this guy will have us there or thereabouts over the next few seasons.

If he goes, we will likely be back to square one, and quite possibly be less fortunate with the next manager.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, martonrover said:

It probably hadn’t gone unnoticed by JDT how much time Mowbray had been given, so at least job security is a positive at Rovers.

That's kind of what I was getting at (in response to @Theaxe15 and @wilsdenrover).

I've worked with (and, admittedly, still work with) clients that are amateurish and unprofessional. It rubs off, and the motivation to do a good job can easily go out the window when your paymasters don't really care or are incompetent. Why go the extra mile? Well, there's only one reason... If it's not for the people you work for, then it's for yourself and your future opportunities - to showcase what you can do and go into a happier job where you can achieve things and, of course, earn a bit more.

I'm not saying this is what has happened, but it was just a thought based on what I've seen since January. Rovers is quite a cushy job in reality because there is still no expectation of promotion. At least not on the face of it. We are persistently telling ourselves that anything above mid-table is punching above our weight, we have no money, we're competing with parachute payments, we're on another long-term project, etc. While Tomasson might buy into the latter, I can well imagine he's come to a conclusion about who he's working with and for, and is motivated to work with and for professional, competent, people elsewhere rather than the ones we seem to have at Rovers.

Edited by goozburger
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, goozburger said:

That's kind of what I was getting at (in response to @Theaxe15 and @wilsdenrover).

I've worked with (and, admittedly, still work with) clients that are amateurish and unprofessional. It rubs off, and the motivation to do a good job can easily go out the window when your paymasters don't really care or are incompetent. Why go the extra mile? Well, there's only one reason... If it's not for the people you work for, then it's for yourself and your future opportunities - to showcase what you can do and go into a happier job where you can achieve things and, of course, earn a bit more.

I'm not saying this is what has happened, but it was just a thought based on what I've seen since January. Rovers is quite a cushy job in reality because there is still no expectation of promotion. At least not on the face of it. We are persistently telling ourselves that anything above mid-table is punching above our weight, we have no money, we're competing with parachute payments, we're on another long-term project, etc. While Tomasson might buy into the latter, I can well imagine he's come to a conclusion about who he's working with and for, and is motivated to work with and for professional, competent, people elsewhere rather than the ones we seem to have at Rovers.

Thanks for the clarification - that makes much more sense (as someone who has had managers who couldn’t  give a …😁)

Our performances against Wigan, Rotherham, Preston, and the Dingles, amongst others, are still quite fresh in my mind. I'm delighted by our recent performances and results, but I hope we don't get complacent because "we've had a good season whatever happens now". We've earned nothing, yet, and we could just as easily finish in the bottom half as we could the play-offs. Tomasson needs to make sure that the players know that we still have our work cut out if we want to achieve anything this season, starting against Sheffield United on Saturday.

• Like 1

I was interested to see how Mowbray stacked up against JDT at this level. I removed the League One season and included league and cup games for the seasons at Championship level.

Mowbray - P212 - Won 35.8%

JDT - P42 - Won 52.4%

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I was interested to see how Mowbray stacked up against JDT at this level. I removed the League One season and included league and cup games for the seasons at Championship level.

JDT - P42 - Won 52.4%

Of the non wins, did you note how many were draws and how many were losses?

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

His public persona is quite likely very different to what he's saying and thinking privately. He could have concluded after the January debacle that this isn't what he was sold when he joined the club, that it's being run in an amateurish way by a load of second raters. If he's come to that conclusion, he'll be off sooner than we think. This is all conjecture but if he does leave at the end of the season it's very easy to see possibly why

It isn't being run anywhere near that level.

3 hours ago, goozburger said:

Our performances against Wigan, Rotherham, Preston, and the Dingles, amongst others, are still quite fresh in my mind. I'm delighted by our recent performances and results, but I hope we don't get complacent because "we've had a good season whatever happens now". We've earned nothing, yet, and we could just as easily finish in the bottom half as we could the play-offs. Tomasson needs to make sure that the players know that we still have our work cut out if we want to achieve anything this season, starting against Sheffield United on Saturday.

Agreed. I'm not over the moon like a lot are but I'm no longer in the absolute madness I was after those games. They were truly diabolical and wholly unacceptable.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

JDT - P42 - Won 52.4%

It isn't really comparable, Tomasson wouldn't be anywhere near the basket case that Mowbray inherited. 

The squad that Tomasson took over has been top 6 virtually all season. 

His own signings, Hyam apart, are only just really showing their worth,it's been mostly down to the existing players. He's done well but their relative starting points are chalk and cheese,and he's solely concentrating on the coaching side. 

Either way, he's looking like right man at the right time. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M_B said:

It isn't really comparable, Tomasson wouldn't be anywhere near the basket case that Mowbray inherited. 

The squad that Tomasson took over has been top 6 virtually all season. 

His own signings, Hyam apart, are only just really showing their worth,it's been mostly down to the existing players. He's done well but their relative starting points are chalk and cheese,and he's solely concentrating on the coaching side. 

Either way, he's looking like right man at the right time. 

It was still a squad with, historically, no dependable centre forwards, few goals apart from Brereton (for half a season), loads of midfielders, two defenders and a midfielder walking out of the door for nothing. Let's also not forget our over reliance on youth to fill the gaps.

Mowbray left him with a lot to do.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He inherited the majority of a team that finished 8th, as opposed to the likes of Greer, Williams, Feeney, Emnes, Lowe, Akpan, Guthrie, Steele etc. Not comparable.

The other reason is that one had five years, whereas the other has had seven months.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He inherited the majority of a team that finished 8th, as opposed to the likes of Greer, Williams, Feeney, Emnes, Lowe, Akpan, Guthrie, Steele etc. Not comparable.

Lenihen,Van Hecke, Rothwell were huge for the team last season when things where going well

Lesser extent Nyambe and Khadra but important members of the team.

Mowbray also had Brererton banging them in at a superior rate for half a season but as soon as those goals dried up and Rothwells form went out the window the squad went down the table. 

The squad didn't step up last season when our star men were out of form or injured currently they are

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, booth said:

The other reason is that one had five years, whereas the other has had seven months.

14 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Lenihen,Van Hecke, Rothwell were huge for the team last season when things where going well

Lesser extent Nyambe and Khadra but important members of the team.

Mowbray also had Brererton banging them in at a superior rate for half a season but as soon as those goals dried up and Rothwells form went out the window the squad went down the table. 

The squad didn't step up last season when our star men were out of form or injured currently they are

The point I made was about squads inherited. Tomasson inherited a much stronger squad, before pre season, and with money spent on players.