BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

Ploughed my way through this lot.

Correct me if I am wrong but Slot is still in his job in Rotterdam and Levy the unpredictable is still in his job at Spurs.

There are credible reports of JDT relocating his family and GB clearly said they have been visiting schools for JDT boys which is the litmus test of family relocation. 

If JDT objective (we don't know if it is) is the Premier League, leaving an English Championship outfit which outsiders would judge well positioned to get promoted wouldn't be the most obvious career move. It would question JDT ability to see through what he had started. And a move away from English football would be a detour.

Of course this pre- supposes the Rao family are following through on their commitment but the quarter of a billion which has gone into Rovers over the past 13 years suggests that money isn't a limiting factor for them.

Talking of Raos,  the call to MGP is the first indication on a personal level of them valuing the opinion of anyone that was at Ewood prior to Anderson bringing them in. I maybe mistaken but I cannot think of any other examples. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, philipl said:

Ploughed my way through this lot.

Correct me if I am wrong but Slot is still in his job in Rotterdam and Levy the unpredictable is still in his job at Spurs.

There are credible reports of JDT relocating his family and GB clearly said they have been visiting schools for JDT boys which is the litmus test of family relocation. 

If JDT objective (we don't know if it is) is the Premier League, leaving an English Championship outfit which outsiders would judge well positioned to get promoted wouldn't be the most obvious career move. It would question JDT ability to see through what he had started. And a move away from English football would be a detour.

Of course this pre- supposes the Rao family are following through on their commitment but the quarter of a billion which has gone into Rovers over the past 13 years suggests that money isn't a limiting factor for them.

Talking of Raos,  the call to MGP is the first indication on a personal level of them valuing the opinion of anyone that was at Ewood prior to Anderson bringing them in. I maybe mistaken but I cannot think of any other examples. 

The cutbacks on spending year after year suggests otherwise.

Not to mention the state of the ground and the pitch.

• Like 2

What cut backs on the football side?

Broughton and JDT themselves would not have come cheap.

We got ourselves in the contract pickle on the back of covid precautions and weren't the only club caught that way.

Read the accounts.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, philipl said:

We got ourselves in the contract pickle on the back of covid precautions and weren't the only club caught that way.

Read the accounts.

Why would Broughton not have come cheap? He was in charge of an academy in Norway for an obscure club, with no experience in this role and clearly making a hugely progressive career move. He will have come as cheap as Directors of Football come.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Feyenoord general manager Dennis te Kloese says he has turned down an approach to join Tottenham and expects the Dutch club's head coach Arne Slot to also resist interest from Spurs. (ESPN)

A bit more hopeful.

Apparently, Spurs haven't approached Feyenoord for Slot, yet. They appear to have had advanced talks with Nagelsmann over the weekend, with a Director of Football position being the sticking point.

Thing is, I suspect other clubs that haven't been thought of may well make an approach for JDT this summer. Feyenoord probably won't be the end of it.

• Like 1

Does anybody have any idea what kind of compensation we'd be entitled too should JDT leave? 

It could be important in sourcing a replacement. I wouldn't see it as income which would boost the transfer kitty, but income which gives us more flexibility when recruiting a replacement head coach.

Rumours linking Leicester with Potter whilst Nagalsmann could be back in the frame for the Spurs role gives me some hope that there might be no approach made for JDT. It only leaves Leeds being linked. 

My biggest concern is the utter mess that is Spurs. With their sporting director Patricio having his world wide ban upheld they're reportedly looking to fill this position prior to bringing in a manager. If I were a Spurs fan I'd be furious that this is dragging out as long as it has. They've known for some time they would potentially be needing a sporting director, yet they appear no closer to a resolution. It could spell out a worst case scenario for Rovers, that Spurs are very slow getting their house in order and don't make an approach for Arne Slot for another 1-2 months, with JDT being his replacement later in the summer. 

On the other hand a new sporting director could mean Slot is no longer on their list. It's a merry-go-round at the moment and whichever way you slice it, we're close to the bottom of the pile and very vulnerable. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philipl said:

Read the accounts.

They cant blame covid. They had bids for both Brereton and Rothwell and turned them both down. Well into 8 figures turned away and that will now really impact us. No excuse.

And as mentioned, youve just ignored the ground and pitch cut backs that dont even touch FFP.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, booth said:

You mean the model, structure and playing style that we have due to JDT being here?

If we need a new manager that means he won’t be here, so probably best just to employ the best we can muster.

Well like I said yesterday that might be your way but its not my way of thinking. For me, you employ someone who will play a similar way and take it on to that next level. Why put in place a style of play, make signings that fit that and do over 6 months of scouting players to fit that style of play. Yet people want to this rip up and start again. 

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I asked why he wouldn't have Jones here, for footballing or personal reasons? He suggested both, justifying it by saying that he would want someone to continue with the same style as JDT to build on his work, which I appreciate even if I don't necessarily agree, but I didn't get why the personal stuff makes a difference if that is the reasoning.

Everything matters and when you are appointing a new head coach. 

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Why would Broughton not have come cheap? He was in charge of an academy in Norway for an obscure club, with no experience in this role and clearly making a hugely progressive career move. He will have come as cheap as Directors of Football come.

Alot of director of football have an academy background whether its Broughton or Norwich's Webber or Sunderland's Speakman or Southampton's Wilcox or Man Utd Murtough

39 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In todays “ Gossip “ it’s suggested the Leicester are looking at Potter to take over as their next manager.

Potter has been in talks with Nice according to the media. Can't see Potter taking over Leicester in the championship. Can you?

Potter is close with Jim Ratcliffe of INEOS. They own Nice but are also a bidder for Manchester United which is apparently Potter's destination if INEOS prevail against the Qataris.

This is why I knocked back Mercer's Potter to Southampton.

I suspect INEOS will not get Man U but I fully expect the Glazers to take an eternity to decide and the decision is as likely as not to be no decision.

So Potter will be hanging on/ getting parked pro tem at Nice.

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I would say the pair of them came cheaper than Mowbray and Venus and that might well have played a part in letting the first two go, amongst other things.

JDT was unemployed and Gregg had been at an outfit similar in size to Motherwell or someone so neither were commanding huge wages or compensation.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well like I said yesterday that might be your way but its not my way of thinking. For me, you employ someone who will play a similar way and take it on to that next level. Why put in place a style of play, make signings that fit that and do over 6 months of scouting players to fit that style of play. Yet people want to this rip up and start again. 

Everything matters and when you are appointing a new head coach. 

Alot of director of football have an academy background whether its Broughton or Norwich's Webber or Sunderland's Speakman or Southampton's Wilcox or Man Utd Murtough

Potter has been in talks with Nice according to the media. Can't see Potter taking over Leicester in the championship. Can you?

I don’t know to be honest. Do you hang on and wait for the first Premier League job to become vacant ? He won’t be stuck for money to pay the mortgage ! That’s for sure.

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think you’re mistaking what people want, and what people believe the likes of Waggott and co are capable of.

If JDT goes we should be thankful of any decent manager coming here, regardless of style. It’s far more likely, given their history, they’ll employ a bargain basement version. Especially as with the egg broadcasting that we’re beginning the transfer window on minus money, it’ll be difficult to attract anyone.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I would say the pair of them came cheaper than Mowbray and Venus and that might well have played a part in letting the first two go, amongst other things.

JDT was unemployed and Gregg had been at an outfit similar in size to Motherwell or someone so neither were commanding huge wages or compensation.

The decision in principle not to renew Mowbray and Venus was taken early in 2022 even though we were still so high in the Championship.  

I cannot be certain but it was driven by the DoF decision and I doubt Broughton was the deciding factor or even under consideration at that time.

Bodo is inside the Arctic Circle, famous for the world's largest whirlpool and roughly a third the size of Blackburn with Darwen. But Bodo/Glimt have had group stage Champions League Football and being in Norway are not short of a bob or two. I doubt GB had to subsist on smoked herring up there, nor when with Malmo, JDT wasn't appropriately rewarded for winning back to back Championships at what is easily Sweden's richest club.

Edited by philipl

30 minutes ago, booth said:

I think you’re mistaking what people want, and what people believe the likes of Waggott and co are capable of.

If JDT goes we should be thankful of any decent manager coming here, regardless of style. It’s far more likely, given their history, they’ll employ a bargain basement version. Especially as with the egg broadcasting that we’re beginning the transfer window on minus money, it’ll be difficult to attract anyone.

Firstly it will be Broughton who would bring in the next head coach and he did a good job at bringing in JDT within a week of his own appointment. 

Also no we shouldn't be thankful of any decent manager coming here. What a load of tripe that is. Also is the comment about employing another bargain basement version. 

on GB commented that we need to sell to buy. Fans want communication and open and honest from these people and when they are these things people complain and moan. I would much rather they been open and honest about the situation and what the plan is. 

44 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t know to be honest. Do you hang on and wait for the first Premier League job to become vacant ? 

I think he would be best taking the Nice job or maybe the Celtic job when it comes up this summer

50 minutes ago, philipl said:

Potter is close with Jim Ratcliffe of INEOS. They own Nice but are also a bidder for Manchester United which is apparently Potter's destination if INEOS prevail against the Qataris.

This is why I knocked back Mercer's Potter to Southampton.

I suspect INEOS will not get Man U but I fully expect the Glazers to take an eternity to decide and the decision is as likely as not to be no decision.

So Potter will be hanging on/ getting parked pro tem at Nice.

I can't see Potter replacing Ten Hag at United any time soon. I knocked Mercer's claim that Potter or Rodgers to Southampton cos it was never going to happened in a million years. 

39 minutes ago, philipl said:

The decision in principle not to renew Mowbray and Venus was taken early in 2022 even though we were still so high in the Championship.  

I cannot be certain but it was driven by the DoF decision and I doubt Broughton was the deciding factor or even under consideration at that time.

Bodo is inside the Arctic Circle, famous for the world's largest whirlpool and roughly a third the size of Blackburn with Darwen. But Bodo/Glimt have had group stage Champions League Football and being in Norway are not short of a bob or two. I doubt GB had to subsist on smoked herring up there, nor when with Malmo, JDT wasn't appropriately rewarded for winning back to back Championships at what is easily Sweden's richest club.

Non of that takes away from the assumption those positions in those leagues don't carry the pay packets of English football.

Even at Championship level and i'd assume Mowbray and Venus having been here a while were decently renumerated as they were seemingly running the football operation at first team level.

Greggs wages are obviously an added weight to the wage bill but they wouldn't have done it if he was expensive and JDT and Remy won't be on more than TM and Venus, a bit less i'd wager.  

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Daniel Farke maybe coming available...could be a good replacement.

It looks like part of the reason that Farke is leaving Borussia Monchengladbach is because they don't have the budget that he was hoping for. If there's any truth in that, there is probably little chance of him being attracted to Rovers unless he'd be happy with selling our prized asset for a hefty fee to reinvest.

Then again, I think Farke is the type that we'd be after. It appears to be style and process (whatever that means) over substance. Here's what looks like a fairly common viewpoint from one of their supporters that I cribbed from somewhere:

"Don't know if I'm in the minority here but I'm glad Farke is leaving. I've never been convinced by him. People talk about his time in Norwich but I wasn't too impressed by that either. Yes we pass the ball around a lot but we are not incisive. We also don't seem to have a plan B."

Sound familiar?

Either way, I can't see him ending up here, but then again, I'm not sure his stock is that high since his days at Norwich. And that's starting to be some time ago, now.

3 hours ago, martonrover said:

Feyenoord general manager Dennis te Kloese says he has turned down an approach to join Tottenham and expects the Dutch club's head coach Arne Slot to also resist interest from Spurs. (ESPN)

A bit more hopeful.

De Telegraaf reporting that the deal is almost done.