BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

1 minute ago, goozburger said:

While JDT might jump at the chance to manage Feyenoord, I would expect the Dutch champions to set their sights a bit higher than the Head Coach of a team in the second tier of English football that didn't reach the play-offs. Not everyone here has been convinced by JDT, and while I think he has done well, take sentimentality out of it, and I doubt he'd be anywhere close to a job like Feyenoord.

When Feyenoord appointed Slot, he was a standout candidate. I'm not sure JDT is.

Surely, Owen Coyle was the standout candidate? 😉

I hope you’re right re - Feyenoord and JDT.

We will probably soon find out………

5 minutes ago, goozburger said:

While JDT might jump at the chance to manage Feyenoord, I would expect the Dutch champions to set their sights a bit higher than the Head Coach of a team in the second tier of English football that didn't reach the play-offs. Not everyone here has been convinced by JDT, and while I think he has done well, take sentimentality out of it, and I doubt he'd be anywhere close to a job like Feyenoord.

When Feyenoord appointed Slot, he was a standout candidate. I'm not sure JDT is.

Problem is JDT is a former player, and a key player in one of their more successful sides. Think he won the UEFA Cup with them

Kind of like Lampard with Chelsea

That Slot seems like a right piece of work too. Didn't know much about him before this morning. Turns out he openly flaunted speaking to Feyenoord whilst still in charge of AZ and manufactured a move out of there. He's been doing the same with Spurs. Some may call his comments 'honest' but the more cynical would question his loyalty

Imo an up and coming manager like him, who is clearly extremely ambitious, would be well advised to avoid Spurs but I guess his agent talking about his 'substantial pay rise' and him claiming he 'is free to talk to whoever I like' is only pointing towards him cashing in early doors. Tottenham ruin careers though...where's Nuno these days?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, booth said:

Chaddy, I forgot what a nasty little fellow you were, thank for reminding me. For a guy who spouts so much docile nonsense you should really watch what you say.

I have not been nasty towards you at all so 

3 hours ago, booth said:

Some questions. I’ll answer them for you as you clearly struggle.

Was Owen Coyle a bargain basement option? Yes. (I know you famously supported him during his time here so sorry if that stings)

Wanted Rovers to success regardless of who the manager is. The club is first regardless who the manager is

3 hours ago, booth said:

Did we have a “healthy” budget when Gregg sweet talked Tomasson. Yes.

Yes we did have a healthy budget compare to non parachute payments clubs 

3 hours ago, booth said:

Has Gregg told us the cupboard is bare now. Yes.

No Greg Broughton hasn't said the cupboard is bare at all but we have to self generate our own money by selling players. Also he wants to get 50% of our transfers done by end of the June which would suggest again the cupboard is far from bare

3 hours ago, booth said:

Are you saying in the interests of maintaining continuity you’d employ an average or even poor manager just because he wants to pass the ball? Over a solid manager that will employ any methods possible to win games?

You employ a good head coach who has similar methods and wants to play a similar style and formation to JDT. 

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

So does this mean that if we end up with a new manager this summer, you won’t be happy with any excuses of him having not had time to implement his style? Supposedly this means the transition should be fairly seamless.

I only ask as “give him time to implement his style/ideas” or “he needs x amount of windows to build his squad” are always used to excuse poor performances or a drop off in form. 

Nothing with be seamless in life tho but they will be period of time of adjustment for the players but hopefully. 

Why would you rip up the strategy after 1 year, all the scouting you have done to bring players for specific reasons cos they fit JDT style and tactics just again to rip it for a different type of style of head coach. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Greg Broughton hasn't said the cupboard is bare at all but we have to self generate our own money by selling players.

Yes, we have to self generate our own money because otherwise there is none - so at the moment it is bare.

For any prospective manager approached by Rovers at the moment it paints a grim picture. And that doesn't help with a new manager search, especially if we're being picky about what kind of manager we're approaching.

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Also he wants to get 50% of our transfers done by end of the June which would suggest again the cupboard is far from bare

He wanted O'Brien but didn't get him. What he wants and what he does are two entirely different things. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he manages to sign 50% of the required players by the end of next month.

• Like 6

I’m not too fussed either way personally.

Would be a little frustrated at the “starting again” element but would be a test of this new structure, and we’ve been told there are succession lists for all areas (including players, coaches, staff etc)

Wouldn’t miss the tippy tappy goalkeeper to Centre back to goalkeeper bollox either. I’m not suggesting we’d be better off throwing JDT and his style away, but fuck, I could do without the weak as piss defending, bad organisation and laborious build up play.

16 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I’m not too fussed either way personally.

Would be a little frustrated at the “starting again” element but would be a test of this new structure, and we’ve been told there are succession lists for all areas (including players, coaches, staff etc)

Wouldn’t miss the tippy tappy goalkeeper to Centre back to goalkeeper bollox either. I’m not suggesting we’d be better off throwing JDT and his style away, but fuck, I could do without the weak as piss defending, bad organisation and laborious build up play.

Whilst I'm a fan of not everything JDT (although most), who on Earth would we replace him with? Inevitably we'll get slaphead noname with no ambition - with no funds and poor back team management in recent times, we're not an attractive prospect for an incoming manager

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jny said:

Whilst I'm a fan of not everything JDT (although most), who on Earth would we replace him with? Inevitably we'll get slaphead noname with no ambition - with no funds and poor back team management in recent times, we're not an attractive prospect for an incoming manager

I didn’t advocate or suggest JDT last season as I didn’t know his credentials, so I’d stay away  from naming specific people.

Plenty of coaches and managers in our league who’ve got more from the “sum of parts” than JDT managed this year however. He didn’t help my opinion either, with comments akin to “this is the best rovers have been” in years, because of cup runs.

• Like 1

Broughton on JDT: "We’re having conversations every day about players coming in and the plans for the future, so I can only give credit to him for what he’s done here."

It doesn't definitively mean JDT is staying, but it doesn't sound like JDT has had enough. I think it'll just be a classic case of, if a better opportunity comes along, he'd like to take it. Maybe it's not as bad behind the scenes as we think.

13 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Broughton on JDT: "We’re having conversations every day about players coming in and the plans for the future, so I can only give credit to him for what he’s done here."

It doesn't definitively mean JDT is staying, but it doesn't sound like JDT has had enough. I think it'll just be a classic case of, if a better opportunity comes along, he'd like to take it. Maybe it's not as bad behind the scenes as we think.

Despite the huge fuck ups in January, namely on transfer deadline day, I agree somewhat with the last sentence.

I am fully on board with the DOF idea, even if I’m still referring to Greg as “Broughtnowt” as we currently stand.

He is embarking on an extremely important summer to prove his worth. He deserves a chance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I am fully on board with the DOF idea, even if I’m still referring to Greg as “Broughtnowt” as we currently stand.

Broughton deserves credit for what looks like him pushing to get players under contract. Would Waggott have pushed for the same? Or would he be waving a short-sighted balance sheet in front of the owners?

Broughton needs to redeem himself after January, certainly. He publicly set himself a target of 50% of business done by the end of June. Over to him.

We are assuming Feyenoord who are dutch champions and head into the champions league would want JDT.

Given their season, im sure there be quite a few fancy that job, given they totally outclassed both PSV and Ajax this season.

I'm not sure JDT would be their first choice when they are sat on top of the pile

• Like 3

5 hours ago, goozburger said:

Didn't see this, pretty much said the same thing

1 hour ago, jny said:

gary monk,mick mccarthy,scott parker,chris powell,gary megson

names from the "please don`t give them the job list"

• Like 4

Interesting, shows the over acheivment but also shows you don't need the biggest budget to be competitive at the top end of this league.

Now how many times have we heard 'it's all about the budget' in the Mowbray years !

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

gary monk,mick mccarthy,scott parker,chris powell,gary megson

names from the "please don`t give them the job list"

Cracks me up that some would want Russell Martin considering how utterly awful they where when we played them at ewood this season...they made JDTs 'possession based approach' look lethal in comparison to how limp d**k they where that day. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

I can't see anybody on her agreeing with me🙈 but if tommason was to leave I think Solskjaer would be a great fit for us

Just hope that if jdt does go that it's all done and dusted with a new man in before the transfer window opens up next month and for the love of god well before pre season starts, otherwise it's just going to be a rinse and repeat of last summer constantly trying to catch up.

P.s. i dont think tommason is good enough to manage in the english prem, he's a bit of a 3rd rate klopp/ten hag/etc... Just doesn't have the leadership qualities of those guys(amongst other things) a very average European clup in a relitvely weak league like feyenhord is probably his level at best.

All that said!!! I would be happy if he just committed to us and signed a new improved contract extension and finish what he started!

I'll agree with you, I made the same suggestion back on page 180(had to look up the spelling mind😁). 

He was on  TV at United the other day, first time he's been back in 2 years. Could well be putting himself in the shop window. I thought the same, could be a good fit for Rovers. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, booth said:

Yes, we have to self generate our own money because otherwise there is none - so at the moment it is bare.

For any prospective manager approached by Rovers at the moment it paints a grim picture. And that doesn't help with a new manager search, especially if we're being picky about what kind of manager we're approaching.

He wanted O'Brien but didn't get him. What he wants and what he does are two entirely different things. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he manages to sign 50% of the required players by the end of next month.

no its not bare at all we can still make signings on free so if the cupboard was bare as you suggest we wouldn't be making any signings at all. 

I'm sorry but the picture is far from grim here given last season and the talented squad we got 

8 minutes ago, M_B said:

I'll agree with you, I made the same suggestion back on page 180(had to look up the spelling mind😁). 

He was on  TV at United the other day, first time he's been back in 2 years. Could well be putting himself in the shop window. I thought the same, could be a good fit for Rovers. 

That final few months at united must have taken a real toll so it doesn't suprise me at all that he took a good break away from management, he looks hungry again now though and would have a point to prove.

In regards to the Ill fated stint at Cardiff! The club was a shambles at that point and he never seemed wanted there by whoever was running the club.

United.... Very few managers in the entire game could have done much better, elite clubs need elite managers... he's not that! But only 0.5% of managers are.

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

That final few months at united must have taken a real toll so it doesn't suprise me at all that he took a good break away from management, he looks hungry again now though and would have a point to prove.

In regards to the Ill fated stint at Cardiff! The club was a shambles at that point and he never seemed wanted there by whoever was running the club.

United.... Very few managers in the entire game could have done much better, elite clubs need elite managers... he's not that! But only 0.5% of managers are.

If we were to appoint someone with a Man Utd connection then it should be Wayne Rooney he has a very impressive football brain. I think he's got the potential to be a very good manager.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

no its not bare at all we can still make signings on free so if the cupboard was bare as you suggest we wouldn't be making any signings at all. 

I'm sorry but the picture is far from grim here given last season and the talented squad we got 

Didn't he say that currently we are minus money and we need to find that from somewhere, as well as transfer funds?

I find the goalscoring situation very grim. We've just lost our only player capable of scoring back to back goals. And in Gregg's last two attempts at bringing a goalscorer in we got Hirst, and in January got sweet FA. He now has to unearth a relatively excellent striker to replace Brereton's goals, as well as another good striker to improve us as last year that's where we fell down.

The cupboard isnt bare, we can sign players for free. Right...

6 hours ago, goozburger said:

The thing is though, sentimentality is rife in football. "Knows the club" and all that, so there is always a chance that even though managers who did better or similar in the second tier this season (Edwards, Robins, Rowett, Mowbray, Carrick) would be laughable to them, Tomasson could well come into the reckoning.

Edited by roversfan99

3 minutes ago, booth said:

Didn't he say that currently we are minus money and we need to find that from somewhere, as well as transfer funds?

I find the goalscoring situation very grim. We've just lost our only player capable of scoring back to back goals. And in Gregg's last two attempts at bringing a goalscorer in we got Hirst, and in January got sweet FA. He now has to unearth a relatively excellent striker to replace Brereton's goals, as well as another good striker to improve us as last year that's where we fell down.

All for free unless he sells key players elsewhere and weakens other areas to do so. 

34 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Cracks me up that some would want Russell Martin considering how utterly awful they where when we played them at ewood this season...they made JDTs 'possession based approach' look lethal in comparison to how limp d**k they where that day. 

Martins football reminds me of what we had here when we finished 15th, possession for the sake of it all sideways and backwards.

The ultimate going nowhere football but it's deemed ok because average players are playing it so it's called development and a journey.

• Like 2