BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Why did JDT get noticed last season? Top 6 throughout and a cup quarter final beating PL sides along the way.

He has us, say, 13th this time but playing ‘good’ football that will get him a higher profile and more of a chance of a big job etc than being at the top end of the league?

Don’t agree, sorry.

I think the combination of a relatively successful season and developing an identity of playing a good brand of football will likely increase his reputation regardless of the results (assuming that they aren't absolutely catastrophic). 

We're only a few weeks into the season, but I've already had more non-Rovers supporting contacts mention our good style of football than I had comments last season about us being in the playoff places.

People will see encouraging highlights and see the stats breakdown about our attacking style and they'll think that this is translatable to a higher level and that he would deliver better results with a better squad. 

The managers that get the most attention now are those that have a clearly recognisable style and system. JDT is establishing that here and it will garner attention even if we are midtable.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think the combination of a relatively successful season and developing an identity of playing a good brand of football will likely increase his reputation regardless of the results (assuming that they aren't absolutely catastrophic). 

We're only a few weeks into the season, but I've already had more non-Rovers supporting contacts mention our good style of football than I had comments last season about us being in the playoff places.

People will see encouraging highlights and see the stats breakdown about our attacking style and they'll think that this is translatable to a higher level and that he would deliver better results with a better squad. 

The managers that get the most attention now are those that have a clearly recognisable style and system. JDT is establishing that here and it will garner attention even if we are midtable.

I wish I could disagree with you. However, Russel Martin’s ridiculous appointment as Soton boss is strong evidence you might well be right.

I think the man is a hilarious joke of a manager. He has never achieved bugger all (except possession stats), moans and whines about the opposition like a sore loser - and now he’s managing ex-premiership players and a parachute payment budget.

It is insanity!

• Like 7

If finishing much lower but playing supposedly nicer (or to some, more naive and counterproductive) football would get more interest, then it perhaps shows that modern day football is being over run by data in opposition to the actual aim of competitive sport. Ive started seeing pundits claim that a final league table does NOT show where teams deserve to finish.

As it is, I think its bollocks. I dont think people are that stupid. If he got us in the play offs this season with this squad his reputation would sky rocket.

• Like 7

Primarily the style is driven by the need to make players look better and improve them so they might become attractive to other clubs with bigger budgets.

That is the top and bottom of it here and that is why they wanted a head coach model instead of a manager.

Trouble is it can also make usually reasonably steady average championship players look worse than they are and style over substance is detrimental to point accummilation with a wafer thin squad.  We are the opposite of last season pre Christmas when the emphasis was win points however you can.

We ended up in the top 2 with a shallow squad.

• Like 3

We are 4 points off 5th.

Ennis played a sensational assist in the 20 minutes we have seen of him.

Sigurdsson scored a fabulous goal and looked different class in the 45 minutes we have seen of him

Moran has been both little boy lost and shown why he is so highly rated.

If we get two out of three of those on the field in most games doing the best of what they are capable of, oppositions won't have the luxury of double and triple covering Adam Wharton.

These are hard facts  

24 minutes ago, philipl said:

We are 4 points off 5th.

Sigurdsson scored a fabulous goal and looked different class in the 45 minutes we have seen of him

If we get two out of three of those on the field in most games doing the best of what they are capable of, oppositions won't have the luxury of double and triple covering Adam Wharton.

These are hard facts  

They are opinions.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, philipl said:

We are 4 points off 5th.

These are hard facts  

The one hard fact I would dispute is that it’s taking two or three men to stop Wharton. From my eyes it’s been mostly one just following him around, and it’s not taking a Bremner or Stiles to do it either.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

The one hard fact I would dispute is that it’s taking two or three men to stop Wharton. From my eyes it’s been mostly one just following him around, and it’s not taking a Bremner or Stiles to do it either.

he`s certainly getting marked more closely this year and thats the  reality of pro football,he needs to adapt or **** off,i can see jdt dropping him for sundays game,we don`t need a sulky teenager whinging about getting closed down quickly

• Like 1

On 25/09/2023 at 05:57, islander200 said:

We had our share of hammerings last season.We finished 7th

We are in a rut, the tactics may need tweaking.Noticed on this or another thread you reckoned we should be worried about relegation and you ain't alone.Not a chance we get relegated.

Our squad is weaker than last season.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 47er said:

Our squad is weaker than last season.

Dont think we will really know whether it is till end of October/ early November. Still no idea how good Ennis, Sigurdsson, Wahlstadt, Tronstad, Telalovic, Hill are. Only one we've seen a decent amount of against Championship opposition is Moran and he looks good to me.

The only player we lost who I think really was a big blow was BBD. Dack and Ayala were rarely fit, Kaminski, Sorba Thomas and Morton had mixed seasons. Edun, Mola rarely featured.

That the new lads are at least equivalent in the round seems very possible. We shall see.

• Like 2

JDT has blamed Individual Errors for 4 goals against at Ipswich rather than the system being too open.

Presumably on the basis of players picking themselves that is bad news for those individuals?

With regards to Adam Wharton,  his running style might be contributing to the teenage strop meme combined with him being a fraction slow to set off on occasions which for such an instinctively gifted player seems strange. His engine is not yet at the level needed but won't improve from sitting on the bench.

My point about two or three players covering him is that if he gives the main man detailed to keep close the slip it is not unusual to see one or two others closing in to block off a trade mark killer forward pass.

Hopefully, with the likes of Sigurdsson Moran and Ennis stepping up oppositions will have other Rovers players who need the sort of attention Adam is getting 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Dont think we will really know whether it is till end of October/ early November. Still no idea how good Ennis, Sigurdsson, Wahlstadt, Tronstad, Telalovic, Hill are. Only one we've seen a decent amount of against Championship opposition is Moran and he looks good to me.

The only player we lost who I think really was a big blow was BBD. Dack and Ayala were rarely fit, Kaminski, Sorba Thomas and Morton had mixed seasons. Edun, Mola rarely featured.

That the new lads are at least equivalent in the round seems very possible. We shall see.

Brereton was a loss that many have underestimated, but not the only one. Ayala may not ever be a regular but he started half of our games and that coincided with us being more defensively strong. And Kaminski is a key one, it would be a huge assumption at this stage to expect Wahlstedt to be on par. Kaminski was keeping us in games at times single handedly.

4 hours ago, philipl said:

JDT has blamed Individual Errors for 4 goals against at Ipswich rather than the system being too open.

Presumably on the basis of players picking themselves that is bad news for those individuals?

With regards to Adam Wharton,  his running style might be contributing to the teenage strop meme combined with him being a fraction slow to set off on occasions which for such an instinctively gifted player seems strange. His engine is not yet at the level needed but won't improve from sitting on the bench.

My point about two or three players covering him is that if he gives the main man detailed to keep close the slip it is not unusual to see one or two others closing in to block off a trade mark killer forward pass.

Hopefully, with the likes of Sigurdsson Moran and Ennis stepping up oppositions will have other Rovers players who need the sort of attention Adam is getting 

With Pears obviously there is an easier solution but those individual errors are not just as simple to fix as picking new individuals. Our defensive players are being massively exposed by our gung ho approach which wont be fixed just by changing a couple of players.

Also, even if the attacking players step up as you expect, that doesnt fix the issue which again is tactical. They all play further forward than Wharton who is currently trying to protect the defence single handedly. The issue is not double and triple marking him, although a different striker and left winger wouldnt stop that. His main deficiencies lie off the ball, not on it and our vulnerability lies when we lose the ball.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, philipl said:

If you man mark someone closely it prevents them getting ball. You don’t really have to tackle them. Other players on the ball see you’re marked and pass it somewhere else. 

• Backroom

JDT has been needling Waggot for a while now. After Waggott did that stupid interview about the bus and other nonsense, JDT referenced it mockingly in practically every interview he did for weeks afterwards - especially in regards to the fabled bus.

Seems clear to me that JDT has little respect for Waggott and doesn't believe our beloved CEO has the guts to fire back in any meaningful way. 

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, philipl said:

Unless JDT and SWAG have agreed they are consciously playing good cop bad cop with the fans, the latest dig about missing fans in the Blackburn End suggests there is a serious non-seeing eye-to-eye in the hallowed corridors of Ewood...

I think Tomasson knows a charlatan when he sees one and doesn't suffer fools. He demands high standards from his players and staff, if they don't toe the line then they are out. In my view that's how he views Swag but his powers don't allow him to get him out of the door.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, arbitro said:

I think Tomasson knows a charlatan when he sees one and doesn't suffer fools. He demands high standards from his players and staff, if they don't toe the line then they are out. In my view that's how he views Swag but his powers don't allow him to get him out of the door.

Spot on. You gotta love it though. His interviews are always a little jab at the shambles 

• Like 1